Dear devs: Feeling helpless about BLATANT SCRIPTERS!!!

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mishra_

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 4, 2002
Atlantic Server
Why would you waste your time picking up the books? If this is what you do in-game... you need to find a new one.

Anakena

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 7, 2008
This is another example of people shouting 'scripter' instead of complaining about the real problem. Scripters don't ruin the economy. People selling items for real life money destroys the economy.
I can't follow you on that. I think scripters damage a lot more the economy than the gold sellers. A scripter can create stuff out of nowhere and destroy the real economy. no real and legit miner can reasonably beat the ingot prices imposed by the scriptminers. The whole crafting part of the economy has been almost destroyed by scripting.

On the other hand, the resellers for real money are not creating stuff. The stuff just changes hands but still has to be produced.

An economy is based on the real business and scripting, especially for resources, destroys the real business.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 1, 2000
I love selling gold for real life money. Playing games and profiting, hurrah!

P

pavel.vesely

to Anakena: Where do you think do gold sellers get gold they sell. They script it or dupe it.

T

The Home Guild

to Anakena: Where do you think do gold sellers get gold they sell. They script it or dupe it.
Nice assumution there buddy.
however,gold sellers buy frm players for a cheaper price and resell to make profit.Granted half the people they buy it from "might" be dupers/scripters but to say all gold sellers dupe is false.

C

Crystal Canyon

Again, I found lots of books advertising an illegal site which sells UO items for real money, which had been lain out all round Luna. (Around 4am EST on Catskills.)

I've been collecting them, and noticed that they always are lain out at the exact same spot. While picking up the books, I actually saw a scripted character (young) making the round in Luna several times, putting down books wherever none was laying, at exactly those spots.

I followed him, picking up the books as he laid them down. I called a GM and reported the incident. However, no GM showed up. I gave up after an hour and destroyed the 65 books. As the young scripter was finished, he went upstairs by the Luna bank, and then he actually noticed me. I told him that he was reported. He replied: "You suck? :)"

Please do something about it! These individuals are destroying the game and its economy! Do not allow tiral accounts to carry items! Whatever comes to your mind, but do something!

This has been going on for far too long! You can create fantastic new game features, updates, expansions, but this all will go down the drain when the game is destroyed by cheaters and scripters at the same time!

Thanks for hearing me! I still have hope.
Its a totally waste of time to complain about this individual. He is on every shard and drops books on every shard. For some reason he is immune from any type of punishment for breaking the rules of the game.

This guy makes his living in real from selling duped items, stolen itmes, and unattended macroed items...he told me this himself.

This man, one night, actually took me to most his homes (which he claims to own about 50 of them) and showed me all the things he sells via his website. Most of his houses will be on islands, mainly ones that will only hold one to 3 houses, of which he will probably own all of them.

He confessed, that that very day he had something like 20 fisherman unattended on a boat and had gotten turned in...he simply made 20 more accounts and has them on boats training. He said they would be back out on the boats fishing by treasure by the following morning.

This guys main house on my shard is right across from mine and I see his characters pulling down the 2 vendors everyday, so they are easily identifyable as to who the characters are. (according to him, these two vendors are his money holders)

All of this info has been submitted several times to authorities...but to no avail. He continues his selling and laying out books constantly, besides running his website. I had runes to houses ready to give to anyone that would show up to at least go take a look. These houses all were about maxed out of lockdowns full of his selllling items. Each house was full of color codes bags so it was easy for him to identify what was in each when he had an order.

Sad, very sad, but with this person, as I said, its evidently a waste of time to say anything or turn him in...he is immune.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
however,gold sellers buy frm players for a cheaper price and resell to make profit.Granted half the people they buy it from "might" be dupers/scripters but to say all gold sellers dupe is false.
Though a player who buys and resells gold or items from another, cannot say for certain that gold was legally and legitimately obtained. And if gold is so cheap that a reseller can buy and sell it for profit, I'd really be worried how much was legal. I'm not saying it's all from cheating, but the cheaper it is, the more likely that is IMO.

Wenchy

D

D'Amavir

I can't follow you on that. I think scripters damage a lot more the economy than the gold sellers. A scripter can create stuff out of nowhere and destroy the real economy. no real and legit miner can reasonably beat the ingot prices imposed by the scriptminers. The whole crafting part of the economy has been almost destroyed by scripting.

On the other hand, the resellers for real money are not creating stuff. The stuff just changes hands but still has to be produced.

An economy is based on the real business and scripting, especially for resources, destroys the real business.
You really think that people would script resource farming enough to ruin the economy if they weren't allowed to sell the gold they earned for real money? I mean, really, how much gold does a scripter really need once they hit a billion or so? There isn't enough to buy in the game to make it that much of an impact. So, once a scripter farms enough resources to earn enough gold to get whatever they want, they wouldn't need to script farm resources anymore.

And I don't see how you say scripters are creating stuff. Scripts don't allow you to create anything. Bugs maybe. Dupes maybe. But not scripts. That's part of the problem right there. People just don't understand what scripting can and can't do. They just blindly follow the 'scripting is bad' rants from other people without even understanding what they are complaining about.

D

D'Amavir

He didn't say all gold sellers dupe. He said gold sellers dupe OR script. I would imagine that if you researched the major gold sellings for UO you would find that the majority of them do in fact dupe or script farm. Sure, you can make a little bit on the buy low sell high concept, but it can't compete with duping or script farmer. Not even close.

S

Sheridan

no offense sheriden.. if you wish to act like an ass in the game, feel free..but
if you wish to BE an ass in game then I might just have an issue. All of us pay for the game, and all of us deserve the same respect in game that you ask from us on the boards.
I guess it's a matter of perspective then... The person to whom I was replying made a generalized statement about "jerks" in game. Their exact quote was:

ZippyTwitch said:
But how you act in game shows how you act in real life. Deny it all you want. I would bet millions of dollars that I don't have that if your a jerk in game then your a jerk in real life.
I took it to mean murderers, thieves, looters and other generic behavior often incorrectly termed as "harrassment." Perhaps I was wrong in that assumption, but in that context, if you are in Felucca where those sorts of things take place, then no - you're not really deserving of any such respect as you claim. If you feel like being killed, looted, or stolen from is disrespectful, I would like to respectfully point you in the direction of the nearest moongate and one of the 4 facets available where such "disrespect" is disallowed. Yes, we all pay to play this game but you ultimately get to decide where that time in game is spent.

Now if "jerks" referred to something else like scripters, exploiters, and dupers, that's a different story altogether. But given the generalized manner the poster referred to "jerks" I can't tell. However, the overwhelmingly ridiculous parallels they drew between in-game and real life behavior is so very far beyond ignorant. Do they also think that actors in movies and television really are murderous, cold-blooded killers or thieving thugs?

There's no difference between playing a role in a movie and playing a role in a videogame. Have we all forgotten the roots of the phrase RPG?

D

D'Amavir

Its a totally waste of time to complain about this individual. He is on every shard and drops books on every shard. For some reason he is immune from any type of punishment for breaking the rules of the game.

This guy makes his living in real from selling duped items, stolen itmes, and unattended macroed items...he told me this himself.

This man, one night, actually took me to most his homes (which he claims to own about 50 of them) and showed me all the things he sells via his website. Most of his houses will be on islands, mainly ones that will only hold one to 3 houses, of which he will probably own all of them.

He confessed, that that very day he had something like 20 fisherman unattended on a boat and had gotten turned in...he simply made 20 more accounts and has them on boats training. He said they would be back out on the boats fishing by treasure by the following morning.

This guys main house on my shard is right across from mine and I see his characters pulling down the 2 vendors everyday, so they are easily identifyable as to who the characters are. (according to him, these two vendors are his money holders)

All of this info has been submitted several times to authorities...but to no avail. He continues his selling and laying out books constantly, besides running his website. I had runes to houses ready to give to anyone that would show up to at least go take a look. These houses all were about maxed out of lockdowns full of his selllling items. Each house was full of color codes bags so it was easy for him to identify what was in each when he had an order.

Sad, very sad, but with this person, as I said, its evidently a waste of time to say anything or turn him in...he is immune.
What's really sad about the above is the fact that so many people on the boards complain daily about someone using a script to drop a book while just ignoring the real problem. I just don't understand that mentality.

C

Crystal Canyon

What's really sad about the above is the fact that so many people on the boards complain daily about someone using a script to drop a book while just ignoring the real problem. I just don't understand that mentality.

I dont think that the actual scripting "dropping of the books" is what people are complaining about. It is more what he books contain that is the problem.

First, If I understand right, it is now illigal to advertise any websites that are selling or making money off of UO pixels. That is exactly what "the books" are advertising.

Then there is the fact, that alot of the items for sale at these sites are items that have been obtained by scripting. Thats what people are getting at with talking about dropping books and scripting.

D

D'Amavir

I dont think that the actual scripting "dropping of the books" is what people are complaining about. It is more what he books contain that is the problem.

First, If I understand right, it is now illigal to advertise any websites that are selling or making money off of UO pixels. That is exactly what "the books" are advertising.

Then there is the fact, that alot of the items for sale at these sites are items that have been obtained by scripting. Thats what people are getting at with talking about dropping books and scripting.
And again the real problem is ignored. Some people just don't get it I guess.

R

RoycroftLS

You really think that people would script resource farming enough to ruin the economy if they weren't allowed to sell the gold they earned for real money? I mean, really, how much gold does a scripter really need once they hit a billion or so? There isn't enough to buy in the game to make it that much of an impact. So, once a scripter farms enough resources to earn enough gold to get whatever they want, they wouldn't need to script farm resources anymore.
What if the scripter wanted to help his friends too? And what if they wanted to help their friends? What if a scripter wanted to see how much money he could make, either out of curiosity or a desire to ruin the market? And what happens once others start scripting too, devaluing his gold? He's just going to leave his script off? Answer those questions and you can see that gold sales are not the only way scripting hurts the honest player.

Besides, fixing the game economy solely by eliminating gold selling is not a practical use of a company's resources. Sure, you can put up a sign saying "Gold selling is bad, please don't do it." You can even go after the most notorious offenders. But in order to eliminate gold selling, a company would have to be able to monitor the entire internet on a regular basis.

What a company does have full control over is their software, and the ability to modify it to discourage scripting. No, scripting can't be eliminated, but it can be controlled much more efficiently than any effort that goes after gold selling.

D

D'Amavir

What if the scripter wanted to help his friends too? And what if they wanted to help their friends? What if a scripter wanted to see how much money he could make, either out of curiosity or a desire to ruin the market? And what happens once others start scripting too, devaluing his gold? He's just going to leave his script off? Answer those questions and you can see that gold sales are not the only way scripting hurts the honest player.

Besides, fixing the game economy solely by eliminating gold selling is not a practical use of a company's resources. Sure, you can put up a sign saying "Gold selling is bad, please don't do it." You can even go after the most notorious offenders. But in order to eliminate gold selling, a company would have to be able to monitor the entire internet on a regular basis.

What a company does have full control over is their software, and the ability to modify it to discourage scripting. No, scripting can't be eliminated, but it can be controlled much more efficiently than any effort that goes after gold selling.
What if a person decided to quit their job and dedicate every waking hour to farming gold and resources and then sellingthose items for real money. That would have no impact on the economy at all since they didn't script it right?

And what if a person decided to spend all of their time walking around Luna dropping books that said "Go to google and type in 'MyGoldSellingSite4UO' and then go to my site and buy gold for .50 a million. That wouldn't impact the economy right because they didn't script it right?

And what if a company like WoW was able to track and ban accounts that both sold and bought in game items for real money in order to help their economy? Would they get them all? Nope. But they would get more than if they came out and said that selling and buying items for real money was legal and allowed.

But, these boards just keep getting filled up with the same 'scripters are bad' rants over and over and over. And the GM queues keep getting filled up with 'scripters are bad' pages which ties up more and more GM time while everyone just smiles and nods about item selling being allowed. Makes perfect sense. After all, dropped books are the cause of the bad economy of UO, not gold/item sellers. And skill scripters are the cause of the bad economy, not dupers. And potion drinking scripters are the cause of the bad state of pvp, not speedhackers.

Battles

pick

you

must.

As Yoda would say.

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
SLC
All I see are the same limp wristed scripters defending their "playstyle".

It's pointless to even post about scripting/cheaters anymore. Since there's more cheaters left in UO than honest players.

Status
Not open for further replies.