• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Confirmation of the Use of Health Scripts in PvP

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its very simple people.

if you ban all the accounts using one thing or another you loose half of your profit or business right there. period.

if EA were to stop people doing these things no more UO.

Fine, it can be a business decision I can understand that....
Then they shouldn't have stated in a Producer's Letter last year that getting rid of it was a main priority, and then made such a big song and dance out of it for 6 months, and then do basically nothing. It just reinforces to everyone that whatever they say they plan to do is bs or will be bs.

funkymonkey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't care what script people use for anything they do. Has not ever bothered me nor will it ever. Even if it did I sure would not waste my time Paging on people who said they used somthing.

I bet the person said they used it just to get this kinda response.

Elric_Soban

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No the single biggest problem with PvP is there is NO POINT TO it.

Your crying foul to scripting.
Others are crying foul to speed hacking.

I am crying foul that it is stupid. No one dies, no one loses stuff, there is no reward or loot.

Why do you PvP? Bragging rights?

Everyone dies in PvP. If everyone dies, rezz's and fights... then no one dies.

I don't get it.
Help me out.
Powerscrolls?

Luvmylace

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
first anyone who is any good at pvp will tell you that for one pot chugging scripts will screw up and get you killed 90% of the time. Second most good players can hit a macro faster then a script can. Third and this is the easiest way to tell if a person is using a script just cast poison on them over and over again.

Like I said a good player can out chug a script so why cry about someone using the script anyhow? If ya cant beat them you surely cant beat someone who can do it without a script.

Lastly! Scripting is not a big deal, who cares if someone wants to use the script to save them from endless clicking and wrist pain over a game as long as they are at the pc and not doing it afk get the hell over it.

The greatest problem cheating wise is speeders. They cause some peoples clients to crash, lock up or lag. Not to mention they skip all over the screen. I have played on many shards and I have to say Atlantic is an absolute cheaters heaven, I want to say somewhere around half the players I have ever encountered in fel there use speeder and its so easy to tell when someone is. It really does take all the fun out of pvp when someone is using a speeder around me because it just turns into me having fun attacking someone getting them on the ropes then locking up second after second while the other person skips all over the screen...

:cursing:
Oh you are so so wrong!
When you can be killed by one person in a house next door ,with no line of sight ;on the opposite side of the house , right thru the walls . That is called Cheating.When you can cast and chug at the same time,That is called cheating. When you run thru tree stumps and grave stones that is cheating
When you can hit some one that is not on your screen That is cheating.
When you report this Obvious cheat to the GM and he does NOTHING, then you start to wonder if That GM has everyone's welfare in mind or maybe he is not impartial!

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh you are so so wrong!
When you can be killed by one person in a house next door ,with no line of sight ;on the opposite side of the house , right thru the walls . That is called Cheating.When you can cast and chug at the same time,That is called cheating. When you run thru tree stumps and grave stones that is cheating
When you report this Obvious cheat to the GM and he does NOTHING, then you start to wonder if That GM has everyone's welfare in mind or maybe he is not impartial!
I got your answer for that one..the GM wrote that script ;)

V

Vyal

Oh you are so so wrong!
Client mods that let you run over trees and see into houses you shouldn't be able to are a problem also but it is not a script that allows those things. Anyone can cast and chug it's called a macro.. Back in the day I used to have a huge problem with people using the stump hack because they would run right across our bag ball fields setup for faction base defense, that was annoying as hell.

U

UOKaiser

This makes me wonder if you actually read anything I posted. I knew this person was using health scripts. He was very successful, and very hard to kill. He admitted to me in a non-threatening context that he used them. He actually volunteered that information without me directly asking him any questions about it.

There is a health script that was commonly used in the past that is probably pretty easy to fool. As far as I know it hasn't been updated for years, and yes, you'd probably be stupid to use it. But the cheat program that is most popular with pvp'rs right now actually has similar functionality included with it, and my guess is that it is widely used, and probably works very well.

Your statement that these scripts and programs don't work well, and aren't used by "skilled" players, simply isn't true. That's one of the main points of this thread.
Not sure which program you mean though. No script program can beat a macro program from your gaming equipment. Thats a fact. I might not pvp in ea shards anymore "I lost interest very long time ago and enjoy the trammel aspects alot more" but i do engage once in a while in pvp in outside shards that allow script programs and they can't beat my gaming macro programs "which would be perfectly legal in EA as well". So I speak by experience. Also even UOA and the other one is nothing compared to gaming equipment macros either. Those programs are limited on what they can do.
Then there are the insane pvp players who smash buttons and go insane behind the keyboard in a game thats not even fps heh got to watch out for those. Sure scripts makes a bad pvp player average but makes a great player average as well. 2 edge sword.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh you are so so wrong!
When you can be killed by one person in a house next door ,with no line of sight ;on the opposite side of the house , right thru the walls . That is called Cheating.
Mystic spells can do this if you are flagged or in a different faction.

When you can cast and chug at the same time,That is called cheating. When you run thru tree stumps and grave stones that is cheating
You cannot chug and cast at the same time as one will cancel the other out. Half of the grave stones in Fel can be converted to a bush with reverting the client to a pre tram set up called desolation, all of my char's whom venture out of my house's have this done.

This is called fighting against pets.

Xalan Dementia

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The sky is blue, grass is green, and PVP has scripts. These are facts of the world. How can people think there arent pvp heal/etc scripts? Because the users of these scripts didnt share them for a long time in fear of punishment. Nowadays many script users are letting there guard down and sharing thier scripts with more people. This leads to more good players witnessing scripters in action.
Script defenders like to say "scripts cant react as fast as a player with macros" and thats just hilarious. Scripts can sense and react to a player getting damaged, poisoned, cursed etc. and take the appropriate action. All just as fast if not faster than a person.
Bottom Line :
UO is 13 years old and its obvious to anyone with a brain that people can hack/code/script it. So what do we do? Keep posting troll bait in an attempt to increase awareness? Page on everyone and anyone we suspect is scripting? Our best bet is to keep hounding the Dev team about illegal programs, but not on these forums. Your voice will be drowned out by script defenders.

They Call Me Al

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Half of the grave stones in Fel can be converted to a bush with reverting the client to a pre tram set up called desolation, all of my char's whom venture out of my house's have this done..

i do believe that this is not intended to be done, and therefore illegal...

UO is meant to be double clicked at the icon and ran as everything is originally installed or patched..

to say that you are reverting something is the same as saying that you are modding your client... good job for cheating...

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The sky is blue, grass is green, and PVP has scripts. These are facts of the world. How can people think there arent pvp heal/etc scripts? Because the users of these scripts didnt share them for a long time in fear of punishment. Nowadays many script users are letting there guard down and sharing thier scripts with more people. This leads to more good players witnessing scripters in action.
Script defenders like to say "scripts cant react as fast as a player with macros" and thats just hilarious. Scripts can sense and react to a player getting damaged, poisoned, cursed etc. and take the appropriate action. All just as fast if not faster than a person.
Bottom Line :
UO is 13 years old and its obvious to anyone with a brain that people can hack/code/script it. So what do we do? Keep posting troll bait in an attempt to increase awareness? Page on everyone and anyone we suspect is scripting? Our best bet is to keep hounding the Dev team about illegal programs, but not on these forums. Your voice will be drowned out by script defenders.
Hey how does one contact the dev team outside these forums... Maybe im wrong but theyve seemed to take out every form of communication on the accual UO web site. There is a link called ask the devs but no option to accualy ask...

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bottom Line :

If cheating in Ultima Online if a fact of life and will not be opposed fiercely, THEN, I think the official POLICY about cheating in Ultima Online should be changed and cheating no longer be illegal in Ultima Online.

It just makes no sense whatsoever to me that on one side it is said to players that cheating in this game is a no-no but then hardly much is done to prevent it or is done against those players who actually do not obey to that prohibition.

Personally, I'd rather prefer that they got rid of cheating in Ultima Online, it is my opinion that in the long run the game will benefit from it. I have met quite a lot of players who left the game or stopped having anything to do with PvP in it because of too much a rampant cheating in the game.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But since I am not 100% sure I'm going to accuse people anyways
UO is meant to be double clicked at the icon and ran as everything is originally installed or patched..

to say that you are reverting something is the same as saying that you are modding your client... good job for cheating...
Epic fail, if you searched you would see the 50+ postings about this very issue stating that the dev team actually put this in place 10 years ago for those whom did not want to see Fel in a desolated scene. Sorry for your attempt at placing fault, might it be next time you know the facts jack?

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

There are two spots in the uo config file that you can change the settings. If you look on stratics guide it will tell you how to do it, and before UO's website was messed up they had instructions there. There have been multiple UO reps that have also mentioned that it was ok and legal. All you do you edit the config file and find the desolation line and changing it to off. There was also a line about tree canopies that you can turn on and off. I tried it once on my thief and although it turn some of the tombstones into bushes and twigs, it did seem to slow the char down some.

Here is the link to the stratics webpage that shows what can be changed in the file. http://uo.stratics.com/php-bin/show_content.php?content=31210

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Petra...

But I still have to say to the OP:

"GIMME A BEAT!!" .....

:bdh:

LOL

B

Budwieser

Scripting= $ for EA.

Lets say you owned UO as a business, and 30% of the revenue wasn't from your best clientele, and your good clients where crying about your bad clients. But little do your good clients realize that if you drop all your bad clients you would have to close your business. Because on paper you just made your earnings look horrible to your stock holders and your profit margin was minimal to begin with.

So what do you do? You try and give your good clients a few extra new cool products now and then to keep them around, maybe not so happy but they stick around, you may lose a few here and there but it's better than losing a good sized group at one time.

--------------------------------------------------------------

So yes scripting of all kinds is there. But it will always be there until Mythic figures out a way to replace all the lost revenue that would incur from banning the accounts. And I'd assume that gold and resource farmers have alot of accounts based on how many broker sites and items they all have at any given time.

Just my thought.

The Bud.

V

Vyal

Lets not forget all the tims and bobs running around using scripts to make the great luna search sites :p

F

Fox (Europa)

I haven't played UO for quite some time and have zero intention of ever playing again. So I'll confess and say I wrote some of the most popular PvP scripts that were in use when I played. I even created and released a couple of versions for idiots with little timebombs in them that did some naughty stuff.

My best script (IMHO) synced targetting for multiple players to make ganking easy. Everyone would target and drop spells in sync and wipe out the opposition.

On my shard I'd say that at any one time about 95%+ of PvPers were using my or someone else's scripts.

Ironically it was the cheating that led me to quit. It was an arms race that I got fed up with. There were more and more programs that were needed to be loaded to compete. There were three scripts I ran all the time, there was a speeder needed because otherwise opponents just ran off the screen and there was a client enhancement tool needed too.

Understand that all this was needed or you were just a sitting target for those using all the tools.

Then there was the real-world cost of competing. I didn't know a single PvPer that made the gold they spent on items from playing UO. Every single player bought gold and items online for cash. It was simply impossible to be awake and online long enough to earn gold playing UO to PvP. So it was a matter of whoever would spend the most would have the good gear. One Belgium player I know regulary spent up to $1000 a month on PvP items.

Don't get me wrong though, it was never possible to load a bunch of scripts, buy a great suit and instantly be a god at PvP. You needed the timing and skill too. It was just that with everyone else running the scripts and such if you didn't too then you could be the greatest PvPer ever and still get easily toasted by a lesser opponent running scripts.

I just popped back to this forum for the first time in a couple of years and I see that absolutely zero has changed in UO in terms of cheating. Its still exactly the same free-for-all it ever was. This can only be because EA either likes it this way or doesn't give a damn. A bit of both I suspect.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
On my shard I'd say that at any one time about 95%+ of PvPers were using my or someone else's scripts.

Ironically it was the cheating that led me to quit. It was an arms race that I got fed up with. There were more and more programs that were needed to be loaded to compete. There were three scripts I ran all the time, there was a speeder needed because otherwise opponents just ran off the screen and there was a client enhancement tool needed too.

Understand that all this was needed or you were just a sitting target for those using all the tools.

Then there was the real-world cost of competing. I didn't know a single PvPer that made the gold they spent on items from playing UO. Every single player bought gold and items online for cash. It was simply impossible to be awake and online long enough to earn gold playing UO to PvP. So it was a matter of whoever would spend the most would have the good gear. One Belgium player I know regulary spent up to $1000 a month on PvP items.

Don't get me wrong though, it was never possible to load a bunch of scripts, buy a great suit and instantly be a god at PvP. You needed the timing and skill too. It was just that with everyone else running the scripts and such if you didn't too then you could be the greatest PvPer ever and still get easily toasted by a lesser opponent running scripts.
This is a really interesting post, assuming it is true, and I see nothing in it that doesn't match my experience, so I see nothing there that would lead me to believe that this poster isn't speaking the truth. Having said that, it does contain yet another of the lies that cheaters tell themselves, namely, "I need to cheat to compete."

The truth is that there are some very good, competitive pvp'rs that don't cheat. It's not for me to judge whether I'm any good or not, but I do think I am competitive, and I don't cheat. It is possible to pvp, and be competitive, without cheating. No one "needs" to cheat, they simply choose to.

But it is also true that some of the cheaters would be good, even if they didn't cheat, although they would have to get used to playing without their favourite crutches. Let's hope that some day soon they are put in a position where they have to choose to either stop cheating, or lose their accounts permanently.

I'm not optimistic, but I can always dream.

W

Woodsman

Let's hope that some day soon they are put in a position where they have to choose to either stop cheating, or lose their accounts permanently.

I'm not optimistic, but I can always dream.
EA could start by banning all of these and their associated accounts:
Lets not forget all the tims and bobs running around using scripts to make the great luna search sites :p
That might make some of the players who are scripting think twice. If I were scripting, whether it's PvP, PvM, or just crafting, as long as I saw the Tims and other scripts running around Luna, Zento, and New Magincia I'd feel pretty safe.