• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Concerning Speedhacking

jtw1984

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it possible to put a hard cap on a server for latency? I see it done in FPS servers all the time. If someone's ping is too high then the server automatically kicks him.

Anyone who knows how speed hacking works knows it raises your ping to a certain level. I'm not talking about just 300 ms latency, but more like 20000+ ms latency.

So to end speedhacking couldn't you just put a hard cap of lets say 2000 ping?

I would believe anything above that would probably make the game almost unplayable. It would also keep speedhacking to a minimum.

U

UOKaiser

Is it possible to put a hard cap on a server for latency? I see it done in FPS servers all the time. If someone's ping is too high then the server automatically kicks him.

Anyone who knows how speed hacking works knows it raises your ping to a certain level. I'm not talking about just 300 ms latency, but more like 20000+ ms latency.

I would believe anything above that would probably make the game almost unplayable. It would also keep speedhacking to a minimum.
LoL. do you know how slow 2000ping is against a 0 ping monster? Hell i feel most games are unplayable above 40-50 ping. I ping 35 average. 1000-2000 ping is something from a malfunctuaning router through the hoops. Hell 500 and I'll call the isp to make sure the router-switch at that location is not meesed up if it's on there network.

jtw1984

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes I agree with you. However, I have seen some pictures of people pinging somewhere around 1300. That gives them a little leverage.

That was not the point of this topic. Is this idea possible?

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Let's find answers that do NOT punish people who are not speedhacking, nor should we punish people for simply having a better connection.

jtw1984

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I doubt putting a hard cap on latency would punish people who do not speed hack. Thats why I'm talking about an over the top latency. I suggested 2000 ms ping, but maybe 5000 would be better?

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like to know where proof of speedhacks boosting someone's ping to 2000 came from...

ingsmsico

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

there already is movement caps. the server only lets you move so far. the trick with speedhacks is to exploit the in between period so you can jump around a little bit. it does work but you have to know what you are doing. it involves taking a lot of U-turns. it does not work in narrow dungeon passages which is where most of the idiots meet their maker. there's no advantage in 1v1 fights when you just stand still against your opponent.

speedhacking is way overblown on this forum, so is scripting. over the years the dev's have done a good job and the game is pretty balanced in my opinion. who wins and who loses is mostly based on the tactics (not the skill) and logistics employed by a good team.

most of the Lord Oaks spawns I've been involved in were won based solely on logistics. ie: unfindable rez/pet rez/potion stations. we'd die 6 times, but only have to kill the enemy 3 times.

another thing people don't understand very much is that you can do whatever you want on test center. that is the purpose of it. so if you ever want to mess around with scripts or do whatever. you can do that on TC. it's an unspoken rule. no one is gonna get banned for unattended macroing on TC.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sometimes I have to think to myself was that a paragon, or a player that ran passed me while I was stealthing around.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What the heck has ping to do with speedhacking???

I ping around 25 to my favourite shard - so having a good isp makes me a speedhacker? wtf?!?

cdavbar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So basically you got owned and want to punish everyone else? I have 2 internet connections, one at home, i pink about 25-35ish on average. When i am not at home and am on the road i connect my laptop to the internet with my smartphone, my ping on that connection depends on the weather, signal str, cell tower loads etc etc. so my ping can be anywhere from 100 to even as high as 3000 on a bad day.

So if they took your idea then basically if im not at home then f*&* me cuz if it happens to be a bad day for cell signals then ill be labled a speedhacker?!?!

People need to get of there high horses and just live with the fact some people cheat. We will never get rid of it as nice as it would be. But what pi*%es me off even more is that everytime someone gets killed they come here to say, DEVS, i got killed again, what are you donna do about this.

If they ever do impliment the 3rd party detection, speed hack controls etc etc, majority of people will still get there a%%es canned, and still come here to complain.

I really wish a MOD would build a subforum called crybabies that cant play uo and think everyones a cheater for posts like this.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i don't think the op has any clue what he is talking about

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter

i don't think the op has any clue what he is talking about
I'm with you. I've been hosting FPS servers for years and not only do high ping kickers accomplish nothing, they are also grossly unfair to those who for one reason or another do happen to have poor connections. Any advantage a person with a high ping might gain through having slightly "jumpy" movement is more than lost as a result of the latency, and high pings do not cause other players to lag - that is a myth, a persistent myth, but a myth nonetheless.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So basically you got owned and want to punish everyone else? I have 2 internet connections, one at home, i pink about 25-35ish on average. When i am not at home and am on the road i connect my laptop to the internet with my smartphone, my ping on that connection depends on the weather, signal str, cell tower loads etc etc. so my ping can be anywhere from 100 to even as high as 3000 on a bad day.

So if they took your idea then basically if im not at home then f*&* me cuz if it happens to be a bad day for cell signals then ill be labled a speedhacker?!?!

People need to get of there high horses and just live with the fact some people cheat. We will never get rid of it as nice as it would be. But what pi*%es me off even more is that everytime someone gets killed they come here to say, DEVS, i got killed again, what are you donna do about this.

If they ever do impliment the 3rd party detection, speed hack controls etc etc, majority of people will still get there a%%es canned, and still come here to complain.

I really wish a MOD would build a subforum called crybabies that cant play uo and think everyones a cheater for posts like this.
Amen, signed.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

This. I am in the same situation, and my ping is highly dependent upon what kind of signal strength I get on my aircard, or what kind of network I can attach to.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm with you. I've been hosting FPS servers for years and not only do high ping kickers accomplish nothing, they are also grossly unfair to those who for one reason or another do happen to have poor connections. Any advantage a person with a high ping might gain through having slightly "jumpy" movement is more than lost as a result of the latency, and high pings do not cause other players to lag - that is a myth, a persistent myth, but a myth nonetheless.
You are only partially correct, its not a myth, its just not appliable anymore to any modern games. It once did apply to much older games, heck it even once applied to UO, but it doesn't really anymore

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You are only partially correct, its not a myth, its just not appliable anymore to any modern games. It once did apply to much older games, heck it even once applied to UO, but it doesn't really anymore
Ya, my experience running game servers only goes back to 2002. I don't know anything about the technical history of multiplayer online gaming before that.

T

Tinsil

Actually high ping progs help some lamers in WoW still today.. They use it to hump pillars that block line of sight in arenas.

The delay makes it so they appear where theyre not and you can basically never hit them from any distance. Very uncommon though.

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe I'm missing something here. When I used to have dialup, I'd occasionally ping 2000+, and the game would be completely unplayable. It wouldn't have mattered if the game kicked me for having that high of a ping, because I would have already given up trying to play.

I'm not saying the OP's idea is in any way useful, but I'm rather mystified by the number of people up in arms over the idea of not being able to play the game because you have such a high ping that you are already not able to play the game.

jtw1984

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What does latency have to do with speedhacking? Obviously you all have missed the point.

Let's do a little experiment.

Log into Ultima. Leave the program on the shard list. That is where you see your latency (if you didnt know).

Now, turn on your favorite speed hack program. What happens to your latency?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So because I have a good connection to UO you want to slow me down.
1st When you pick a shard you should pick the ones with the best connection. I ping all West coast shards at 12-18ms(best) and 170ms to Eur/Drach(worse). I play Baja.
2nd Turn off all the undeeded background programs running and you might be suprised how much faster UO plays.

Don't bring down players that have better connections because your Comp./ISP sucks or you are trying to play on the wrong shard.

jtw1984

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So because I have a good connection to UO you want to slow me down.
1st When you pick a shard you should pick the ones with the best connection. I ping all West coast shards at 12-18ms(best) and 170ms to Eur/Drach(worse). I play Baja.
2nd Turn off all the undeeded background programs running and you might be suprised how much faster UO plays.

Don't bring down players that have better connections because your Comp./ISP sucks or you are trying to play on the wrong shard.
WTF are you talking about? I ping 60 to my closest shard which is good.

That is not the point of this thread. Please read and understand:

Let's say I ping 60 on my home shard. If I turn on the speedhack program my latency will jump through the roof.

Are you still with me? 60 ping without speedhack....ping in the thousands with speedhack?

Alright if you made it past that first point then lets continue to the second.

Now all I'm asking is: Is it possible to put a latency cap on the servers to deter speedhackers?

This is in no way punishing any player. Have you ever met someone with a 5k ping? 10k ping? Who are able to play Ultima?

Sigh...maybe my question will go unanswered. I don't think I can get through.

R

Renyard Foxenwyle

Doing this would make the game unplayable for those of us who are deployed to the Iraq and Afghanistan. Many of us have to get by on shared 128k connections. Even when you're lucky enough to be posted on a FOB that has a fiber to satellite connection you're still going to have latency in the 1000ms range due to the nature of satellite internet.

jtw1984

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe I'm missing something here. When I used to have dialup, I'd occasionally ping 2000+, and the game would be completely unplayable. It wouldn't have mattered if the game kicked me for having that high of a ping, because I would have already given up trying to play.

I'm not saying the OP's idea is in any way useful, but I'm rather mystified by the number of people up in arms over the idea of not being able to play the game because you have such a high ping that you are already not able to play the game.
You sort of see my point. I don't know where people are getting off on punishing people for having a low latency. I don't think I brought that up anywhere in this thread.

As you may know, the speedhack program makes your latency jump through the roof. I'm talking in the thousands.

So if we put a cap of lets say 5,000 ms latency to a server...then it would get rid of crazy speedhacking.

I mean with this idea you would still have some speedhacking, but not crazy skipping screens stuff.

But I don't know if this idea is possible or not.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
WTF are you talking about? I ping 60 to my closest shard which is good.

That is not the point of this thread. Please read and understand:

Let's say I ping 60 on my home shard. If I turn on the speedhack program my latency will jump through the roof.

Are you still with me? 60 ping without speedhack....ping in the thousands with speedhack?

Alright if you made it past that first point then lets continue to the second.

Now all I'm asking is: Is it possible to put a latency cap on the servers to deter speedhackers?

This is in no way punishing any player. Have you ever met someone with a 5k ping? 10k ping? Who are able to play Ultima?

Sigh...maybe my question will go unanswered. I don't think I can get through.
So let me get this straight. I am curently on Baja at 15ms and if I start a program to make it 2000ms that I will play better? Your logic stumps me. That is worse than when I was on dial-up being owned by Ettins. So the slower I talk to UO the better I will play. OK got ya.

E

Evlar

Doing this would make the game unplayable for those of us who are deployed to the Iraq and Afghanistan. Many of us have to get by on shared 128k connections. Even when you're lucky enough to be posted on a FOB that has a fiber to satellite connection you're still going to have latency in the 1000ms range due to the nature of satellite internet.
2000ms plus latency on a satellite connection to the USA rocks! :thumbup1:

For other times, there's my 3G connection. 100ms to 400ms on Europa for me in rural Spain. I can PvP on the 3G connection... just requires a little tactical savvy.

In a chase though, it is quite amusing watching people in Lambourghini mode on a fast connection, against my 1960's Mini Cooper on my slow connection :lol:

jtw1984

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So let me get this straight. I am curently on Baja at 15ms and if I start a program to make it 2000ms that I will play better? Your logic stumps me. That is worse than when I was on dial-up being owned by Ettins. So the slower I talk to UO the better I will play. OK got ya.
Or maybe the logic is in the fact that you aren't really pinging 2000ms. Maybe the program makes the servers think you are?

How do people who speed hack run faster?

This is what this thread is about right?