• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

communications - more broken promises

C

Coranthe

<blockquote><hr>

Robert: We know the community wants more info and we are doing everything we can to speed up this process.

[/ QUOTE ]

In March there were 152 EA posts avergaing 4.9 posts a day.

Thus far in April, 17 posts averaging 1.7 posts per day.

Me thinks they are going in the opposite direction.

C

Coranthe

<blockquote><hr>

Robert: We know the community wants more info and we are doing everything we can to speed up this process.

[/ QUOTE ]

G

Or...they could just be busy with the current event and preparing Publish 52.

G

Or...they could just be busy with the current event and preparing Publish 52.

G

What's the magic number of posts that the UO Team needs to reach each month?

I guess I appreciate the fact that they talk to us here at all. I know I don't usually like to hang around and talk with people that seem to only focus on the negative.

I've even seen some of the Team's posts that were obviously done on their own time. I think that's pretty cool.

G

What's the magic number of posts that the UO Team needs to reach each month?

I guess I appreciate the fact that they talk to us here at all. I know I don't usually like to hang around and talk with people that seem to only focus on the negative.

I've even seen some of the Team's posts that were obviously done on their own time. I think that's pretty cool.

I

imported_Skrag

Oh noes a BROKEN PROMISE! Wait, where does it say "I promise that we will post at a rate greater than 1.7 posts per day from now on!"

I

imported_Skrag

Oh noes a BROKEN PROMISE! Wait, where does it say "I promise that we will post at a rate greater than 1.7 posts per day from now on!"

G

It IS spring, ya know. Cabin fever and all that. I know I'm spending a bit more time outside than in the game.

G

It IS spring, ya know. Cabin fever and all that. I know I'm spending a bit more time outside than in the game.

G

*starts searching for anagrams*

devote ye sash and lo peel meteor story!

G

*starts searching for anagrams*

devote ye sash and lo peel meteor story!

G

<blockquote><hr>

Yea those devs really need to post more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehehe...Hello Supreem! *waves*

G

<blockquote><hr>

Yea those devs really need to post more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehehe...Hello Supreem! *waves*

G

- Yeah, no doubt

I read this thread earlier and started hoping that mayhaps Jeremy is in the process of whipping up some additional uo.com love (and hoping the rest of the Devs were whipping up more UO love as well... specifically KR oriented, that would be a major bonus, for me, to hear 'bout).

Rock, rock on. 'Tis Spring, yes 'tis. Dang poirple wabbits, always wabbitin' aboot (goofy English for our fellow Canadien friends. I kid, I joke, und jest).

G

- Yeah, no doubt

I read this thread earlier and started hoping that mayhaps Jeremy is in the process of whipping up some additional uo.com love (and hoping the rest of the Devs were whipping up more UO love as well... specifically KR oriented, that would be a major bonus, for me, to hear 'bout).

Rock, rock on. 'Tis Spring, yes 'tis. Dang poirple wabbits, always wabbitin' aboot (goofy English for our fellow Canadien friends. I kid, I joke, und jest).

B

BadManiac

I just wish they'd be more forthcoming about the future of the game. What's happening with KR? When is SA going to be released? What is in SA?
We are paying for this service. Would be nice to know what I pay for

B

BadManiac

I just wish they'd be more forthcoming about the future of the game. What's happening with KR? When is SA going to be released? What is in SA?
We are paying for this service. Would be nice to know what I pay for

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We're only at the 11th of the month lol.

Would we rather the devs just talked about work, rather than working on it? I sure wouldn't.

There's a publish on the way, an event in progress and no doubt other work going on that we don't know about. I'd be more worried if the post count was high - anyone who browses Stratics at work knows what it does to their productivity

Why is it that when the devs do something we like, folks feel it necessary to say "but you went wrong here" ASAP? I'm not saying we should be all shiny, but if you want results from someone, you don't put them down at every given opportunity. Certainly not something as crazy as a post count. Or to quote my favorite site...

Wenchy

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We're only at the 11th of the month lol.

Would we rather the devs just talked about work, rather than working on it? I sure wouldn't.

There's a publish on the way, an event in progress and no doubt other work going on that we don't know about. I'd be more worried if the post count was high - anyone who browses Stratics at work knows what it does to their productivity

Why is it that when the devs do something we like, folks feel it necessary to say "but you went wrong here" ASAP? I'm not saying we should be all shiny, but if you want results from someone, you don't put them down at every given opportunity. Certainly not something as crazy as a post count. Or to quote my favorite site...

Wenchy

G

Becuase everyone and their mother has been asking what the status and plans for UO are for what months now? And we havn't got one answer I see devs posting about being turned pink and senseless other comments but no posts commenting on what people actually want to hear. Fact is we all do pay for the game and have taken the time to sit down and ask for a status time and time and time and time again and nto just one person but pretty much everyone and we get ignored.

It's ignorant and they wander why I hate on the devs so bad.
It's like if I go to buy a game console, pay say 500 bucks for it and ask for two years straight will there be any new games? any new games? and not just be but thousands of other people and nobody gets a response about it.

But no guess what Microsoft, Sony they don't do that type of thing becuase ITS EXTREMLY BAD FOR BUSINESS. They tell you a year ahead of time this game is coming out get ready, look at these great screenshots, look at the demo movie for it, they put out commercials on TV and everyone goes out and gets it the day it comes out.

I don't think the problem lies within the fact that nobody is getting UO and tryign it out, i'm thinking its more along the lines of people are and they are quiting becuase of the development people who work on UO and thats some real talk right there. This game is dieing becuase it is 2d or becuase people don't like the features. It's dieing becuase the development crew is no good. I for one would have fired everyone especially the lead developer for UO about a year ago and hired some real programmers who have dreamt to work on a project like UO. I bet the line is out the door around the block and out the city.

G

Becuase everyone and their mother has been asking what the status and plans for UO are for what months now? And we havn't got one answer I see devs posting about being turned pink and senseless other comments but no posts commenting on what people actually want to hear. Fact is we all do pay for the game and have taken the time to sit down and ask for a status time and time and time and time again and nto just one person but pretty much everyone and we get ignored.

It's ignorant and they wander why I hate on the devs so bad.
It's like if I go to buy a game console, pay say 500 bucks for it and ask for two years straight will there be any new games? any new games? and not just be but thousands of other people and nobody gets a response about it.

But no guess what Microsoft, Sony they don't do that type of thing becuase ITS EXTREMLY BAD FOR BUSINESS. They tell you a year ahead of time this game is coming out get ready, look at these great screenshots, look at the demo movie for it, they put out commercials on TV and everyone goes out and gets it the day it comes out.

I don't think the problem lies within the fact that nobody is getting UO and tryign it out, i'm thinking its more along the lines of people are and they are quiting becuase of the development people who work on UO and thats some real talk right there. This game is dieing becuase it is 2d or becuase people don't like the features. It's dieing becuase the development crew is no good. I for one would have fired everyone especially the lead developer for UO about a year ago and hired some real programmers who have dreamt to work on a project like UO. I bet the line is out the door around the block and out the city.

C

Connor_Graham

They have told us they can't tell us anything yet. Late spring was the general time frame given for the "epic" event to unfold, which I'm guessing will be the beginning of a several month long event that will end in SA being released either at the end of the summer or sometime in the Fall.

After years of being beaten down for "broken promises" how can anyone blame them for NOT wanting to say anything? Things change in the corporate world as much as daily, if not more than that, yet Stratics posters seem to think that any statement, even when preceded by "may not happen" or "might change" or any other disclaimer, is as much written in stone as the Ten Commandments.

I don't get why people don't just play the game and enjoy what they've got, and be glad UO is still around for them want to pancake about.

C

Connor_Graham

They have told us they can't tell us anything yet. Late spring was the general time frame given for the "epic" event to unfold, which I'm guessing will be the beginning of a several month long event that will end in SA being released either at the end of the summer or sometime in the Fall.

After years of being beaten down for "broken promises" how can anyone blame them for NOT wanting to say anything? Things change in the corporate world as much as daily, if not more than that, yet Stratics posters seem to think that any statement, even when preceded by "may not happen" or "might change" or any other disclaimer, is as much written in stone as the Ten Commandments.

I don't get why people don't just play the game and enjoy what they've got, and be glad UO is still around for them want to pancake about.

G

Becuase bud I got addicted to UO back in it's hay-day I started playing again and have met some really cool people online. I like mmmo's and UO was always one of my favs so I came back to it.

I still like the game but I for one think that any developers working on UO should be replaced with more competent people who could actually do the job on time.

The events are long and drawn out and honestly are not all that fun well not fun at all but for the first maybe thirty min then it gets old and repetetive. That is one reason no other mmo has two year long event or one month long events. If they do they are actually cool, for instance right now in EverQuest they are having another fabled event. That means all the hundreds of big old bad mobs are now fabled and will drop fabled loot. But it isn't like UO in order to get to some of these guys you need groups of twenty thirty people.

We get a black gate in moonglow that a total nub can walk into and see the same three mobs running around with the same people killing them. Everday.

So we get on the boards and ask the devs wow man why is everything you come up with so totally and utterly lame, and well maybe it wouldn't be if we knew what any of this means or what we are supposed to do. Everyone asks and asks then some dev gets on and crys becuase another dev turned him pink.

Come on..... Devs for UO have some pride, all the other devs for every other mmo put you guys to shame with new ideas for mmo's, cool spells, cool monsters, great events, really cool skills. Even the free games are putting you all to shame.

The only good thing about the staff in UO is sometimes you don't get a canned response.

Even still games like EQ you type /petition and get to talk to a live tech every problem you have. And you pay 4 bucks less to play everquest then you do for UO... TRUST me these guys like Draconi are sitting around in their UO studio drinking it up and smoking it up on a daily basis watching a ticker for all the money they are stealing from us. In their spare time they are getting on their pc's and coming up with these stupid ideas for events, items, and plot lines that go no place.

Honestly how is this game worth 12 bucks a month? Lets say 600 thousand people x 12 thats 7 million bucks a month :/ Ok now lets see cost per server mmmmm 400 bucks a month TOPS! ok so advertisement? I would say 0 dollars.. Umm paying staff? max 500k a month FOR every single member of the staff including the guy that brings them all their liquor. So that leaves them with what?
ALOT OF BLOODY MONEY.
Is this money going into developing new things? mmm maybe but probably not you could pay me 100k to come out with a whole expansion for the game so that wouldnt cost that much. Honestly what the heck are we paying for? I say lower the price for UO maybe 5 bucks a month at least stop ripping people off.

G

Becuase bud I got addicted to UO back in it's hay-day I started playing again and have met some really cool people online. I like mmmo's and UO was always one of my favs so I came back to it.

I still like the game but I for one think that any developers working on UO should be replaced with more competent people who could actually do the job on time.

The events are long and drawn out and honestly are not all that fun well not fun at all but for the first maybe thirty min then it gets old and repetetive. That is one reason no other mmo has two year long event or one month long events. If they do they are actually cool, for instance right now in EverQuest they are having another fabled event. That means all the hundreds of big old bad mobs are now fabled and will drop fabled loot. But it isn't like UO in order to get to some of these guys you need groups of twenty thirty people.

We get a black gate in moonglow that a total nub can walk into and see the same three mobs running around with the same people killing them. Everday.

So we get on the boards and ask the devs wow man why is everything you come up with so totally and utterly lame, and well maybe it wouldn't be if we knew what any of this means or what we are supposed to do. Everyone asks and asks then some dev gets on and crys becuase another dev turned him pink.

Come on..... Devs for UO have some pride, all the other devs for every other mmo put you guys to shame with new ideas for mmo's, cool spells, cool monsters, great events, really cool skills. Even the free games are putting you all to shame.

The only good thing about the staff in UO is sometimes you don't get a canned response.

Even still games like EQ you type /petition and get to talk to a live tech every problem you have. And you pay 4 bucks less to play everquest then you do for UO... TRUST me these guys like Draconi are sitting around in their UO studio drinking it up and smoking it up on a daily basis watching a ticker for all the money they are stealing from us. In their spare time they are getting on their pc's and coming up with these stupid ideas for events, items, and plot lines that go no place.

Honestly how is this game worth 12 bucks a month? Lets say 600 thousand people x 12 thats 7 million bucks a month :/ Ok now lets see cost per server mmmmm 400 bucks a month TOPS! ok so advertisement? I would say 0 dollars.. Umm paying staff? max 500k a month FOR every single member of the staff including the guy that brings them all their liquor. So that leaves them with what?
ALOT OF BLOODY MONEY.
Is this money going into developing new things? mmm maybe but probably not you could pay me 100k to come out with a whole expansion for the game so that wouldnt cost that much. Honestly what the heck are we paying for? I say lower the price for UO maybe 5 bucks a month at least stop ripping people off.

G

Draconi hasn't done jack. Honestly you must think it takes a brain surgeon to work with this UO engine. I could decompile it recompile it with my eyes shut. I could tell you everything a client send to a server and everything a server sends back. I could make my own emu server if I wanted to within a month.

This game has not changed aside from the graphic additions and new maps since 98'.

I can tell you right now from watching the town hall videos and just as a programmer of sorts looking at UO from the begining beta with blizzard till now nothing has majorly changed.

What the devs should be doing is hiring testers to solve all these random crashes, run the server and client on in ide and debug the hell out of the both of them. Maybe a month max to make it bug free. These guys must have no clue what they are doing is all I can think of.

If I was in charge they would have all been fired sorry guys, your events are total failures. So are the items, expansions, and coders. Nothing else to say about it. If I was boss they would be sitting out of a job and I would hire some real coders not guys who can't get the job done.

G

Draconi hasn't done jack. Honestly you must think it takes a brain surgeon to work with this UO engine. I could decompile it recompile it with my eyes shut. I could tell you everything a client send to a server and everything a server sends back. I could make my own emu server if I wanted to within a month.

This game has not changed aside from the graphic additions and new maps since 98'.

I can tell you right now from watching the town hall videos and just as a programmer of sorts looking at UO from the begining beta with blizzard till now nothing has majorly changed.

What the devs should be doing is hiring testers to solve all these random crashes, run the server and client on in ide and debug the hell out of the both of them. Maybe a month max to make it bug free. These guys must have no clue what they are doing is all I can think of.

If I was in charge they would have all been fired sorry guys, your events are total failures. So are the items, expansions, and coders. Nothing else to say about it. If I was boss they would be sitting out of a job and I would hire some real coders not guys who can't get the job done.

C

Connor_Graham

You've got a lot of things confused here.

First:

"This game has not changed aside from the graphic additions and new maps since 98'. Fire theses guys and hire some real devs to turn this game around."

The Devs can't do ANYTHING without the go ahead from a corporate white shirt. Not a single thing. They're the peons (no offense guys
) that just do what they're told to do. You're placing your blame on the wrong people.

"What the devs should be doing is hiring testers to solve all these random crashes"

Devs don't hire. They develop, and even then only what they're allowed to. The corporate people do the hiring, and hire people like Draconi, so THEY don't have to do any work, but let the people under them do it all for them. Again, you're placing the blame on the wrong people.

"These guys must have no clue what they are doing is all I can think of."

Again, it's not the people you're pointing a finger at, but the people they work for that are to blame. They actually do have a hell of a clue what they're doing, as UO is still making millions with a very minimal investment of company expenditures, so the ROI on UO is probably through the roof, and these guys are getting pats on the back and vacations at the company cabin in Aspen for doing such a "good job".

"If I was in charge they would have all been fired"

Then you would have fired the wrong people, and lost some very creative talent in the process.

C

Connor_Graham

You've got a lot of things confused here.

First:

"This game has not changed aside from the graphic additions and new maps since 98'. Fire theses guys and hire some real devs to turn this game around."

The Devs can't do ANYTHING without the go ahead from a corporate white shirt. Not a single thing. They're the peons (no offense guys
) that just do what they're told to do. You're placing your blame on the wrong people.

"What the devs should be doing is hiring testers to solve all these random crashes"

Devs don't hire. They develop, and even then only what they're allowed to. The corporate people do the hiring, and hire people like Draconi, so THEY don't have to do any work, but let the people under them do it all for them. Again, you're placing the blame on the wrong people.

"These guys must have no clue what they are doing is all I can think of."

Again, it's not the people you're pointing a finger at, but the people they work for that are to blame. They actually do have a hell of a clue what they're doing, as UO is still making millions with a very minimal investment of company expenditures, so the ROI on UO is probably through the roof, and these guys are getting pats on the back and vacations at the company cabin in Aspen for doing such a "good job".

"If I was in charge they would have all been fired"

Then you would have fired the wrong people, and lost some very creative talent in the process.

G

You got it all wrong bud. There is no "white shirts" the devs run the show and the game companys like EA/Mythic sponser their work and get a cut. They may pay for the server up fee's, the building they go to, they cut the paychecks out. BUT they do not tell the developers what to do. If profits sore EA praises them if they plumit they say make it better or hit the road. Keeps things in balance.

G

You got it all wrong bud. There is no "white shirts" the devs run the show and the game companys like EA/Mythic sponser their work and get a cut. They may pay for the server up fee's, the building they go to, they cut the paychecks out. BUT they do not tell the developers what to do. If profits sore EA praises them if they plumit they say make it better or hit the road. Keeps things in balance.

C

Connor_Graham

"You got it all wrong bud. There is no "white shirts""

I think you've got it wrong. We're talking about EA/Mythic here. They're nothing BUT a corporate workplace. We're not talking about small development companies, but the second largest corporate gaming company there is.

C

Connor_Graham

"You got it all wrong bud. There is no "white shirts""

I think you've got it wrong. We're talking about EA/Mythic here. They're nothing BUT a corporate workplace. We're not talking about small development companies, but the second largest corporate gaming company there is.

G

Still it works exactly the way I said it does. they will wake up in the morning go to a building like this

walk inside go up an elevator and do god knows what to collect their pay becuase aside from keeping the server up they arn't doing anything. There is no person who tells the devs what to do. They plan the events and run them, if they want a expansion they program it. some big wig isn't going to say go do a expansion right now or go make a new event right now. Maybe they have a consultant to go talk to the development team in charge of Ultima Online.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

These guys arn't creative in the slightest little bit. If they where we would see new things coming from a 2d engine, new things coming to the mmorpg world, from the oldest mmo to date :/

I am still hoping to see it but I doubt it will ever come with the people they have running the show now. Fire them all I say.

I am on many many many mmorpgs forums with many different names, I program as a hobby, but I also play alot of mmorpgs. I have played everyone you can think of 2d, 3d, iso, free, paid, browser based. I don't have any faith in the developers for UO I don't think anything they plan or come out with will be any good. So why do I stay? Becuase this game is classic to me, like final fantasy or a good book.

G

Still it works exactly the way I said it does. they will wake up in the morning go to a building like this

walk inside go up an elevator and do god knows what to collect their pay becuase aside from keeping the server up they arn't doing anything. There is no person who tells the devs what to do. They plan the events and run them, if they want a expansion they program it. some big wig isn't going to say go do a expansion right now or go make a new event right now. Maybe they have a consultant to go talk to the development team in charge of Ultima Online.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

These guys arn't creative in the slightest little bit. If they where we would see new things coming from a 2d engine, new things coming to the mmorpg world, from the oldest mmo to date :/

I am still hoping to see it but I doubt it will ever come with the people they have running the show now. Fire them all I say.

I am on many many many mmorpgs forums with many different names, I program as a hobby, but I also play alot of mmorpgs. I have played everyone you can think of 2d, 3d, iso, free, paid, browser based. I don't have any faith in the developers for UO I don't think anything they plan or come out with will be any good. So why do I stay? Becuase this game is classic to me, like final fantasy or a good book.

C

Connor_Graham

"There is no person who tells the devs what to do."

Wow. No offense (and I do mean no offense), but if you seriously mean that, that's one of the most naive statements I've seen on Stratics in a long time.

The Devs have a lead Dev.

The lead Dev answers to the department head.

The department head answer to the Producer.

The Producer answers to a Director.

The Director answers to a VP.

The VP answers to the Board.

EA/Mythic is a publicly held company. There is a very strict chain of command structure in place, and no one in the organization is without someone else to answer to, including the Board of Directors themselves, as they have to answer to the primary Shareholders. That's part of being a publicly held company. You HAVE to have a corporate chain of command structure, not only to be a publicly traded company, but to be incorporated to begin with.

C

Connor_Graham

"There is no person who tells the devs what to do."

Wow. No offense (and I do mean no offense), but if you seriously mean that, that's one of the most naive statements I've seen on Stratics in a long time.

The Devs have a lead Dev.

The lead Dev answers to the department head.

The department head answer to the Producer.

The Producer answers to a Director.

The Director answers to a VP.

The VP answers to the Board.

EA/Mythic is a publicly held company. There is a very strict chain of command structure in place, and no one in the organization is without someone else to answer to, including the Board of Directors themselves, as they have to answer to the primary Shareholders. That's part of being a publicly held company. You HAVE to have a corporate chain of command structure, not only to be a publicly traded company, but to be incorporated to begin with.

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL!!! Hahahahahaaha.

Ok smarty . One month. Go!

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL!!! Hahahahahaaha.

Ok smarty . One month. Go!

G

Oh brother. Bwoken pwomises.
Another doom and gloom

Id rather have 1 post a week then 50 fluffy bunny posts.

KR is improved
The Event is Fun
The game is improving
Great stuff will come
UOs direction is solid

Enough said.

G

Oh brother. Bwoken pwomises.
Another doom and gloom

Id rather have 1 post a week then 50 fluffy bunny posts.

KR is improved
The Event is Fun
The game is improving
Great stuff will come
UOs direction is solid

Enough said.