• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Classic shard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Man, you're sort of ignoring one giant flaw in your argument (and so are most everyone else, so this isn't personal!):

The population on a classic shard WILL be different from the 1999 UO population.
That's absolutely right. The population WILL be different..

But to counter that point, what is different about the population NOW that would somehow make it better?

Is it true that all those people who are playing these shards for free are going to JUMP at the opportunity to pay 15 a month to do the same thing on an EA serve?

Are people of the WoW Generation (tm) who had never played an MMO before, but have a very real sense of entitlement, going to embrace FFA PvP full loot and ganking without consequence or penalty to those doing it?

Is it going to be only adults, with no desire to re-enact such childish behavior?

In the modern graphical age, are MMO players clamering to play a sprite-based game with graphics from 1998? (Or worse, if you consider EC)?

I am honestly curious here - What has changed in FAVOR of a classic shard, other than nostalgia?

You can't say that people will leave because of griefers and PKs because you don't know who will be on the shard in the first place. We can all guess, but I'd be pretty confident in saying that people that left in '98-'99 are pretty much with UO, period.
This, again, completely true.

Which is why, I'll state again, "Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it". I'm going to put it in my sig, actually..

History has already shown that the population went UP after Trammel. It has been stated before (God help me, can't find the article now) by former and current developers that prior to Trammel, UO was hemorrhaging players.

I can only make assumptions based on what has already happened. You can't assume it's going to be any different, because you have even less data to support that it will be any different. I, at least, am drawing conclusions based on things that already HAVE happened.

Why is it that you believe that if you set up the exact same conditions as before trammel, that THIS time, you're going to get a different outcome?

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

You know who are these people? people like me that received a stratics mail about this thread, and that quit uo a long time ago enraged with the turns of the event (i personally pay the subscription every 3 months to refresh my house :) ) . People that want the old playstyle back, without compromises. It's no wonder that they aren't in line with your thought!
And what exactly do you think my "thought" is?

You think I wasn't enraged by what they did to UO?

You think I don't want the old playstyle back?

Do I want compromises...yes...because I want the shard to stay up.

There is no way to know what a Classic Shard will be like, but I can tell you...if you are willing to compromise NOTHING...then it will probably be very short lived.

I have said this before...and I will say it again for the benefit of all the new people here:

My personal preference would be a T2A shard with all the necessary bug fixes, a few things like skill/stat locks (I had to explain to one troll what that even meant after he blasted me because he thought I meant powerscrolls rolleyes:), and nothing else.

I just don't believe that is viable based on the responses I have read here, and seen in other threads outside of this one that were locked long before you guys got here.

This is not a new topic. A lot of these issues and ideas have been expressed before over the years.

It's good that Stratics sent out that email though. I think it is really important that people like you, Ray, and Kotu are involved in this discussion...but keep in mind, this discussion was going on long before you got here.

Despite what you might think of me...I have been playing UO since the beta, and I have been completely against Trammel, AoS, and all of the new content since they were first announced. I am about as "old school" as it gets.

I loved killing reds. That was all I did before UO:R, and I am looking forward to doing so again. That's why I say...if it were up to me, we'd just go with a straight T2A...or even Launch day server...I actually liked the time that led up to T2A!

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Man, you're sort of ignoring one giant flaw in your argument (and so are most everyone else, so this isn't personal!):

The population on a classic shard WILL be different from the 1999 UO population.

You can't say that people will leave because of griefers and PKs because you don't know who will be on the shard in the first place. We can all guess, but I'd be pretty confident in saying that people that left in '98-'99 are pretty much with UO, period.
Then why in the blue hells should we pay attention to anyone from that era that has quit, and now wants to come back and re-create the EXACT SAME FAILURE?

By your logic, opening a classic server would be pointless - everyone from the classic days is through with UO - your words... so why would they, or you, care if there were some slight alterations from an exact time frame?

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
THEY DID ADDRESS RAMPANT PKINGS.

IT WAS CALLED STATLOSS

STATLOSS CAUSED YOU TO LOSE MONTHS AND MONTHS OF SKILLGAIN

OR

MONTHS OF IN GAME PLAY.

Stop acting like PK`s had not punishment on classic servers.

Why are you asking for a classic server if you have no intention of adding classic mechanics?
No it DIDN'T, or TRAMMEL WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN NECESSARY!! SEE? I CAN TYPE IN BIG LETTERS TOO!!

And changing only ONE mechanic from classic, keeping EVERYTHING ELSE, doesn't mean I don't like CLASSIC. In FACT, for the reading impared, such as yourself, I have already stated quite directly that I would play an exact replica of T2A, without hesitation. But the fact that I want to see it THRIVE and GROW means the main issue of rampant PK'ing and Griefing needs to be addressed.

Shall I link it for you?

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Is their any other option than to recode the server from the ground up?

No there is not.
Yes. Really? Are you just not going to read anything anyone posts?

The last plan that I saw a developer weigh in on said that the idea was to work backward using the existing code. Are you on the dev team? Are you even a software engineer?

You know what...nevermind...don't answer.

I am done with you.

The only option for a classic server is to recreate an exact moment in time.

So wont dont we just focus on what exact moment in time we want to play in instead of bickering and throwing out asinine ideas like "exile"?
We did that already...you just weren't here yet. That's where the sticky came from.

You should drink less in the middle of the day like this btw :lol:

E

Evlar

enough people know what the true UO was about to get this thing started. people should not be as shocked or annoyed at getting killed because they know it can happen and can expect it. it is part of the game.
This is a VERY valid point.

I think that it is evident by all the negative responses we get outside of this thread from Trammies that are afraid of a Classic Shard. They know what to expect from one, and want no part of it.

The question is...is that acceptable? Should a Classis Shard appeal only to PvP'ers?

If that is the goal, then I throw my hat in the ring with all those saying pure T2A...and I agree that the last publish before 16 is the best to go with.

Otherwise...I think more thought needs to be given to luring at least some non-PvPers to the shard.
Well, I would probably be classed as more of a "Trammie" non-PvP'er, because much of my play time was spent crafting, gathering, PvM, exploring, interacting with players, player events, inter-guild activities. Only a small portion of my time was spent on PvP.

I role-played a red PK from time to time. That character was mostly used for full-consent inter-guild battles... oh... I was also one of those "highwaymen" at the bridges occasionally too. A few gold pieces or some regs, a small "tribute" was all I asked. If people got shirty about it (reverse grief?), I let them go merrily on their way. Killing someone just to spite them, didn't provide entertainment for me. On the odd occasion, I also had the odd 1v1 fight with another player when challenged with this character. More often than not, I lost, but hey... it was all just a bit of fun.

BUT... I fully support a classic server. I've already established that I didn't see PK's as a great problem myself, in this and other threads. Enough credible people and sources suggest it was though, so I'll go with whatever solution the majority of people agree with. For my own part though, I think it may be because I never took anything personally, just ignored the "l33t d00d" types who couldn't type their abusive messages fast enough.. I also adapted to the environment of the time with different characters. My very first character, was a miner/smith/warrior, who could look after himself quite well, when and if the need arose.

I actually don't see having PK's or "murderers" as a type of character, "role" or activity as the intrinsic problem here. The problem to my mind, was the players who used and exploited the game dynamics to the maximum, in order to cause grief to other players.

So, the heart of the matter to me, is how to set up game dynamics, to ensure that the grief/exploit nature of the red/murderer/PK "role", isn't repeated.

I like many others here, have made suggestions. Some may be too lightweight, whilst others are too harsh. Might I suggest that we either quickly reach an amicable solution that everyone agrees with, when it comes to potentially doing anything different to the original game play. Or, that we simply apply the early 1999 (I arrived in UO at this time) penalties/rules to the opening period, then suck it and see for a month or so?

If PK grief shows itself to be as big a problem as people seem to fear it might be, then we could take the corrective action, by enforcing stricter measures to curtail it. Call it plan A and plan B. Plan B being the most commonly accepted solution amongst us all, if Plan A "early 99" restrictions don't work.

Sound fair?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Settle down folks. seriously. Don't make get all mod here...

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
We are just talking... We the players, no need to get bent.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I can and will give this thread a cool down period...

K

Kotu Farland

And changing only ONE mechanic from classic, keeping EVERYTHING ELSE, doesn't mean I don't like CLASSIC.
Yes it does.

For one you dont understand how classic servers worked if you honestly believe statloss was not a meaningful penalty for pkings.

Two. You want to change the entire basis for the risk vs reward system that made classic servers what they were.

You cannot alter a major aspect of the game and call it a classic server.

D

dinanm3atl

LOVE IT. Assumption that I was a PK. I was not. I had 1 red character on a shard that was NOT my own. He didn't even have a GM in ANY skills. It was a griefer. To kill people that couldn't defend themselves...

On Atlantic. 5 blue characters. Dexxer, Mage/Fighter(main), GM Miner/Smith, Mule, Mule

Mules had random stuff. Couple GMs. All just to hold stuff. Could have converted them as one had some decent skills. Both you and Morgana assuming I am a PK and just want Easy Mode. I am looking at it from a early subscriber with lots of playing experience not only in UO but MANY other MMORPGs. I am one that didn't see the PKing a large problem. I just didn't die to them that often...

die once, shame on pk... die twice shame on you

It wasn't hard to avoid them. If you are running down the road or running between Minoc and Vesper and 3 pick off your mule. Meh. What did you really lose? I would have gotten a friend to gate me if I really had something nice. In a dungeon I was RARELY PK'd. Gate opens up. Cast recall. Oh look 4 reds. Scout rolls in? Be wary. 6 reds coming from off screen. Recall. It wasn't that hard to stay alive...

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I will not do it for any one's "account". I just would hate to see folks go over the line and get in trouble.

K

Kotu Farland

This thread had gotten majorly off track.

I would like to see who here is for using an exact moment in time for a classic shard.

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes it does.

For one you dont understand how classic servers worked if you honestly believe statloss was not a meaningful penalty for pkings.

Two. You want to change the entire basis for the risk vs reward system that made classic servers what they were.

I was here from day.. Wait.. Month 1 of UO. I'm quite familiar with how classic servers worked. I was, in fact, there.

Second, If stat loss was enough - Why is trammel there? Why would they do that if everyone was happy with reduced PK'ing after stat loss was implemented? Clearly, not enough people were happy with PK'ing after stat loss, or at the very least, far less than those who were.

Third, it's only changing the risk to the PK's, not the reward. You still get all the loot. You still get to PK. It just makes it a little less attractive to do so frivolously.

D

dinanm3atl

I would like to see who here is for using an exact moment in time for a classic shard.
I am down for an exact moment 'as-is'. I am also in support of a modified 'classic'.

I am in support 110% of the idea of a 'classic shard'. What are my things that it should have?

No Trammel
No super items(Like no reg armor suits)
Original Magic Weapon System
Original GM Armor System
Stat/Skill lock

I don't really need anything else...

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am down for an exact moment 'as-is'. I am also in support of a modified 'classic'.

I am in support 110% of the idea of a 'classic shard'. What are my things that it should have?

No Trammel
Original GM Armor System
Stat/Skill lock

This. And I only support modified classic, because I want to be certain that history doesn't repeat itself, and eventually the shard doesn't become a ghost town.

A

Antonio Cataneo

I was here from day.. Wait.. Month 1 of UO. I'm quite familiar with how classic servers worked. I was, in fact, there.

Second, If stat loss was enough - Why is trammel there? Why would they do that if everyone was happy with reduced PK'ing after stat loss was implemented? Clearly, not enough people were happy with PK'ing after stat loss, or at the very least, far less than those who were.

Third, it's only changing the risk to the PK's, not the reward. You still get all the loot. You still get to PK. It just makes it a little less attractive to do so frivolously.
I will repeat myself. Trammel was needed because of the money.
Nowdays, both trammel-friendly and T2A can coexist without being an obstacle one another

K

Kotu Farland

Second, If stat loss was enough - Why is trammel there?
I wasnt aware trammel removed statloss. I thought statloss stayed in till AOS.

Good question btw, Why was trammel there?

Trammel was implemented against the wish`s of the development team because EA games thought a PvP free environment would bring in more money. The dev team was so against the idea of trammel every last one of them including the creators of the game left.

A

Antonio Cataneo

No Trammel
Original GM Armor System
Stat/Skill lock

I want freedom of being whatever i wanted.
I could be a con artist, and kill people from time to time.
I can be on the good sideand hunt for thieves.
I can be a l33t hally mage and whoop the ass of reds/grey.
Or i could be stealthy thief that steals house runes/keys and breaks in.

These are a few of the things i want to do. To do so i need freedom, and i'm not alone.

D

dinanm3atl

You cannot say for sure why Trammel was created. I believe it was created to pander to the carebear player of the 'new' MMORPG. Everquest came and you 'couldn't be looted' and just role play to your heart's content. How does UO compete with that? Something needed to be done.

Was it actually the PKs or the 'carebear' mindset that is what every new MMORPG carries with it? I never saw any poll that actually confirmed who was happy and who was not. I was content and the main players I played with were content.

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will repeat myself. Trammel was needed because of the money.
Nowdays, both trammel-friendly and T2A can coexist without being an obstacle one another
I agree, they can both exist. I also think T2A would do better now than the current shards..

The question is, for how long? How many times do you think the modern MMO player, with games like WoW and even the current Prodo Shards, is going to tolerate losing EVERYTHING on their character?

I'd say look at Darkfall and Mortal Online if you want some idea of the population figures who would put up with it, even in a new engine.

It's not in debate that you will get some vets back. They may like what they see.. But how long will it take before Non-PK'ers get sick of getting PK'ed and just go somewhere else again? How long are those vets going to stay? How long will the PK vets stay when there is no one left to kill but other PK's?

If you think that's fine, well... That's a difference in opinions.

The classic shard will not make or break UO. How long that shard is active and alive is an entirely different issue, and one that MUST be considered before time and effort is put into it.

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wasnt aware trammel removed statloss. I thought statloss stayed in till AOS.

Good question btw, Why was trammel there?
Oh, stat loss may still be there.. But very few are active in Fel since there are no people to kill, and the only thing you really get is gold from insurance and other items not insuraed.

Why is trammel there IS a good question. A point someone else brought up just up the thread.

If it wasn't to quell the outcry of the griefed, than I hope it wasn't to compete with EQ, because even then, EQ had better graphics...... If that's true, then it really was for naught.

K

Kotu Farland

Why did UO turn into the s@#& hole that it is today?

Because whiny players like every last one of you cried and cried till you got your way.

Every single last expansion since AOS has lost more and more players.

UO will be shut down in the next few years and it is solely the fault of players like yourselves.

For those of you wishing for a classic sever?
You will not get it. You will at most get an abortion put together by the same group of people who ruined UO to begin with.

Any classic server you get will be so heavily customized it will be a failure and add to the large list of disappointments to come out of EA.

To the dev team if you read this, You people should be ashamed of yourselves.

You are failures, this is not my opinion this is a fact backed up by the record losses of subscribers that have occurred under your leadership.

You people get paid a salary to come up with failures that have done nothing but lost your company money, you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Enjoy your craptastic EA servers, I am going to go play November 1999 T2A on a shard larger than most production servers.

D

dinanm3atl

There are quite a few shards with 500-1000 players almost 24 hours a day that are player run. Now those are not very populated and there are A LOT of PKs on them many times of the day. YOu have to be on top of your game to steer clear of them.

Now how many of them would be willing to pay 15 a month and get with thousands a month. I bet 10-20% if it was a 'classic shard'. I would honestly guess that if it caught on it could be more.

The thing is we could see a different make up of the UO game environment. We are assuming that all the PKs will immediately come back. It seems on this forum the vast majority is not PK. What if we are looking at a lesser PK population than EVER... maybe we don't need any new 'rules' for PKs... we simply don't know. Seems everyone is under the assumption that it will launch and there were be roving bands of 15 reds with vendor bought ******* swords trying to kill miners just north of Minoc...

D

dinanm3atl

Nevermind. This is my last post.

Why did UO turn into the s@#& hole that it is today?

Because whiny players like every last one of you cried and cried till you got your way.

Every single last expansion since AOS has lost more and more players.

UO will be shut down in the next few years and it is solely the fault of players like yourselves.

For those of you wishing for a classic sever?
You will not get it. You will at most get an abortion put together by the same group of people who ruined UO to begin with.

Any classic server you get will be so heavily customized it will be a failure and add to the large list of disappointments to come out of EA.

To the dev team if you read this, You people should be ashamed of yourselves.

You are failures, this is not my opinion this is a fact backed up by the record losses of subscribers that have occurred under your leadership.

You people get paid a salary to come up with failures that have done nothing but lost your company money, you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Enjoy your craptastic EA servers, I am going to go play November 1999 T2A on a shard larger than most production servers.
Yah. I used to play Battlefield 1942 on my old laptop... No one really plays that anymore. DAMN DEVS! roflmao

Please man. You want to call out whiners and look at your post. tI sounds like a big cry baby spouting off random thought. UO was never HUGE. It has a core following that were still there through a lot of junk because the core game was there. Eventually trying to mimic WoW and add in l33t items might have sealed the deal. It is a business. They thought the changes would make sense in the wallet. It didn't. So... we should make fun of them! Pretend that you would have done a better job!

Maybe there is an employee, a rogue, that will truly put forth the ground work and show someone that it is worth a shot! Would love to hear about your 'player run shard' that you for SURE knows has more people than the EA shards. Would love to see where you get this info from.

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK everyone.
CHILL now please.
Or else what Kelmo said - this thread may get suspended.

R

Renyard Foxenwyle

I'll be honest, I support ANY PRE AOS TIMEFRAME. I don't care if it's Pub 15, or day of release. Just get rid of the stupid itemization that killed the game for me.

D

dinanm3atl

OK everyone.
CHILL now please.
Or else what Kelmo said - this thread may get suspended.
Agreed.

I'll be honest, I support ANY PRE AOS TIMEFRAME. I don't care if it's Pub 15, or day of release. Just get rid of the stupid itemization that killed the game for me.
That is where I am.

The AOS-Post AOS Devepment team clearly ruined UO.

We lost over 100,000 subscribers within 6months of AOS being released.

Ever think it might have had something to do with how horrible AOS was?

The dev team really should be ashamed of their incompetency.

If you want to insult the dev team then call EA. Send an email. Go protest outside their building. This thread is for discussing the change, a chance I am willing to hope for, that we can see a classic shard...

You said you were going to go play a player run shard that is better... have fun :)

B

Babble

If we just want to talk about a classic shard then the t2a area what morgana featured as her list.

For the PK issue start with t2a rules and if things start to get out of hand consider further features.

I am still not sure that a classic server is in good hands with ea though.

T

Trebr Drab

LOVE IT. Assumption that I was a PK. I was not. I had 1 red character on a shard that was NOT my own. He didn't even have a GM in ANY skills. It was a griefer. To kill people that couldn't defend themselves...

On Atlantic. 5 blue characters. Dexxer, Mage/Fighter(main), GM Miner/Smith, Mule, Mule

Mules had random stuff. Couple GMs. All just to hold stuff. Could have converted them as one had some decent skills. Both you and Morgana assuming I am a PK and just want Easy Mode. I am looking at it from a early subscriber with lots of playing experience not only in UO but MANY other MMORPGs. I am one that didn't see the PKing a large problem. I just didn't die to them that often...

die once, shame on pk... die twice shame on you

It wasn't hard to avoid them. If you are running down the road or running between Minoc and Vesper and 3 pick off your mule. Meh. What did you really lose? I would have gotten a friend to gate me if I really had something nice. In a dungeon I was RARELY PK'd. Gate opens up. Cast recall. Oh look 4 reds. Scout rolls in? Be wary. 6 reds coming from off screen. Recall. It wasn't that hard to stay alive...
Frankly, I think you're full of it. I don't believe you for a second.

Your "experiences" are far from the norm. So far, that it's simply not believable.

Lets look closely at your claims....
"If you are running down the road or running between Minoc and Vesper and 3 pick off your mule. Meh. What did you really lose?"

Hmm, of course this wasn't you, but others. But really, what was there to lose in those days that someone would be taking down a road? Just some ores, maybe, whatever. Mostly, it was the time players spent.

"In a dungeon I was RARELY PK'd. Gate opens up. Cast recall. Oh look 4 reds."

Of course, this wasn't you. You didn't get PKed but a couple of times. heh
First, they rarely gated in on top of you. Usually, they came running by. And before you could say "Kal Ort Por" they were throwing squiggly lines through the air at you. But you wouldn't know that, would you? I mean, you always got away, right?

"Scout rolls in? Be wary. 6 reds coming from off screen. Recall. It wasn't that hard to stay alive..."

Pray tell, good sir, how did you know that was a scout? He was blue, said any number of innocent things, and left you alone (err, excuse me, because that wasn't you, it was everyone else). And he protected his identity as a scout.

Really, this is an old game. What, you think we're all a bunch of noobs? You PKers always try this, acting all "hey, I wasn't a PKer, but I love the way they play and they should have the right to PK without having to pay a price for it". Oh, and "it's risk vs. reward", hehe.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You cannot say for sure why Trammel was created. I believe it was created to pander to the carebear player of the 'new' MMORPG. Everquest came and you 'couldn't be looted' and just role play to your heart's content. How does UO compete with that? Something needed to be done.

Was it actually the PKs or the 'carebear' mindset that is what every new MMORPG carries with it? I never saw any poll that actually confirmed who was happy and who was not. I was content and the main players I played with were content.
It would have been the best poll evuh too!

Pollster: Are you PK's satisfied with how UO is working?

PK: Hell yea!

Pollster: How about you carebears? You happy with the way UO runs?

Carebears: 000o0oo00 o0oo 0ooo0!

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Night all!

I have a date tonight! Don't wait up for me! :)

(also, I broke a personal rule and had to use the ignore option ...

...on Kelmo!!! :lol: )

Just kidding Kelmo...you know I would never do that. :heart:

*wonders...can you even put a mod on ignore*

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good for you, Morgana!

Others - don't feed the ugly trolls, page on them, we don't mind...

D

DHMagicMan_1

Yes it does.

People just unattended macro to burn off their counts. Since UM is still an issue sometimes I think it would certainly be an issue for this again. That's why Morgana suggested only time inside a dungeon counts. I for one think this is a reasonable compromise.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, said my piece in this thread now. I was actually beginning to believe this could actually get somewhere real, but now its wacked down by the mods so it will go back to a much less nuanced discussion, instead of getting to the real meat of the matter, which is a very very heated moment in UO history, hence to get to the truth of the matter, discussions would tend to get heated.

So I must say I bow out of this thread and change my stance to being against a Classic Server, its just not feasible, nor should the devs waste the considerable amount of money and time on developing one. Too bad I can't change my vote in the voting thread.

Have fun peeps.

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the only way to really get down to business with this is simple, why not do a poll on a few different publishes and launch it from there with what's in the sticky topic.

With one addendum, if the shard starts out well for a while and the population later begins to dip down due to rampant pk issues, we all agree that if it gets to crazy we can ask the devs to come back later and consider our ideas as a last option, I think that's being fair to everyone involved.

E

Evlar

There's plenty of us who've suggested that already Dakkon and I think many will agree with what you, we, others have suggested.

We decide finally on the publish/era that we want to start with, launch it. If any significant problems become apparent, then we look towards the "fixes" that have been discussed, in detail here.

As I said earlier, if "Plan A" doesn't work from the off, then we make sure we're all agreed on the "Plan B", should it be needed.

Ultimately though, we as a community, need to take responsibility too. The shard will live or die by our actions.

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's plenty of us who've suggested that already Dakkon and I think many will agree with what you, we, others have suggested.

We decide finally on the publish/era that we want to start with, launch it. If any significant problems become apparent, then we look towards the "fixes" that have been discussed, in detail here.

As I said earlier, if "Plan A" doesn't work from the off, then we make sure we're all agreed on the "Plan B", should it be needed.

Ultimately though, we as a community, need to take responsibility too. The shard will live or die by our actions.
I'm aware as I was one of the ones suggesting it, it's just that several new names have come into the thread. I'm pretty sure this is as fair an agreement that can be made regarding the idea, if people object to this it tells me they are just looking for a free ride in regards to pking.

Either way under this proposed idea, we will find out which side of the argument is right once and for all.

A

Antonio Cataneo

I think the only way to really get down to business with this is simple, why not do a poll on a few different publishes and launch it from there with what's in the sticky topic.

With one addendum, if the shard starts out well for a while and the population later begins to dip down due to rampant pk issues, we all agree that if it gets to crazy we can ask the devs to come back later and consider our ideas as a last option, I think that's being fair to everyone involved.
That would be the wisest way of going, but i dunno if it's faisable for developing/time issues.
As for Lord Chaos, it's normal that the discussion gets some heat, this game can develop feelings into the players, its one of his strong point isn't it ?
I think that even if something like Morgana's exile get done i would give a shot at the shard, and i think also the people that voted other eras would.

As Evalr stated, the "life" of the hypotetical shard resides in our hands. I will start asking the Dev out on the issues on their form, i would suggest to the others interested to do so :D

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That would be the wisest way of going, but i dunno if it's faisable for developing/time issues.
It's really the only feasible way of going, otherwise we just continue getting into these meta-arguments over every little thing. This way it's fair for everyone involved and gives both sides a chance to display whether or not their arguments are correct in practice not theory.

E

Evlar

In all fairness Antonio, I think they've (the devs) said as much as they're prepared to say at this stage. They've already said what the priorities are, regarding prevention of cheating and continues work on the clients as those priorities.

I think it's also fair to assume, impatient though we all are to play "classic", those priorities will also benefit any work they do to get a classic shard up and running. They are following the discussions here it seems. Bombarding the "Ask The Devs" area of the forums, will likely yield little response until their first priorities are out of the way.

D

dinanm3atl

I am lulzing. I wasn't a PK. Never been a PK. My account was full of blues. Hilarious. If/When the shard launches we can meet in game. You shall see. I had 1 red. On another shard. I didn't have space to have a PK on Atlantic.

I am sorry that you were killed constantly by PKs. Lvl 5 covetous. Reds would gate onto the stairs. Why? Because people farmed the liches on lvl 4. So they would gate in and go upstairs. Well I am farming the drags with 2 or 3 friends...

You never saw a blue recall in. Instantly recall out. Then reds come? Never seen this?

C

cardensb

Re: Classic shard: Narrowing the gaps

I would re-join the game if an early version server was available. Pre-16 would be fine but I really stopped enjoying the game whenever it was that the scrolls came out, and the game became item based not skill of the player based. I did not have time to camp a dungeon all day to get a particular item to be PvP competitive.
I still have a few accounts worth of log in data going back to 97 written down...
Lost a lot of my rares during the server crashes that came with AoS. Really lost interest after the next big update with the elves.
Not a fan of the quest system.

R

rcole23

Give me original UO any day. bring back the magic!

I don't even know if I want t2a... They sent me the CD for free as I refused to upgrade!

R

rcole23

Just to show my excitement I am posting twice! Nothing ever replaced uo for me, (not even the "new" uo...) I long for the days past and the way uo was when it was first launched.

I really really hope this goes somewhere.

:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Status
Not open for further replies.