• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Classic house designs

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You all are right, starting on lv 2 helped.
I fixed the east side but didn't bother with the west side, now that I'm satisfied it's possible, mainly because I can see that even if I managed to do it perfectly, a single double slanted roof across an entire 18 x 18 (actually 17 x 17 after the one-tile border all around) looks pretty bad, so I'd never build that in game.
OK, I'm finished publicly embarrassing myself with that experiment; time to try some more pleasing designs :)
Thank you all for your help.
PS - In my eight years of playing, this is the first time I've done anything on the test center - but I'm sure not going to fool around with this stuff on my real houses yet.

Attachments

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I do a lot of my test building on TC1, as I think a lot of other serious house builders do.

Still, nothing beats a true-classic home. :) The challenge of decoing a classic (particularly a castle) is somewhat therapeutic.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ha, I'm long way from where I would consider it therapeutic :) Maybe someday. I am dumbfounded by some of the remarkably creative designs I see in game.

slippjeem

Looking for a whispering rose for Little
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I love my brick I just removed one from LS, I have an account that goes around to shard for sorting my stuff for transportation, and I always try for a brick or a large house with patio, so when you see a classic near Luna I am prob visiting for a week ;o)

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Yadd of Legends , you're still a bit too wide on the roof :( but it is coming along. Have you tried making it slightly thinner to get the roof to the 5 and 6th level is the split top? If ya need any help feel free to ICQ me, I love a challenge. 158026374

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thanks, @Zynia. I agree. I haven't taken it off the test shard yet, but I've decided if I could make it look perfect, a single gable roof is just too much for a square house on an 18 x 18 plot. I'll probably end up breaking up the structure into smaller elements, or maybe looking at a hipped roof

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
have to agree.... all my 18x18 custom homes have been hipped style - but I also like making smaller sections with single peak or even flat.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
For instance, this house (on test shard) avoids the roofing tiles altogether and breaks up the mass into three blocks. It's easy to do and functional, but is it hideous?
EDIT: Other than not taking the time to line up the windows properly

test house.jpg

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
OH! My dad (who happens to be a master carpenter specializing in construction) and I work on our houses a lot. Since my home is very old, we had to redo my roof first. And Dad, being a trainer, wanted me to be "in the know". I knew I had something that explains roof types - and yep - found it!

upload_2015-7-8_12-12-1.png

slippjeem

Looking for a whispering rose for Little
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Yea anytime your bored and want to play with second level things I am trying to put my vendors above my lakes in the area that loses the top 3 levels so I have been playing with stacking the vendors and axing the goza so they look suspended, I have trouble getting the ladder on the first goza tho to get the second level, so I have just been playing with the first level but I would love them stacked 3 high hehe...

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OH! My dad (who happens to be a master carpenter specializing in construction) and I work on our houses a lot. Since my home is very old, we had to redo my roof first. And Dad, being a trainer, wanted me to be "in the know". I knew I had something that explains roof types - and yep - found it!

View attachment 33840
you, are my hero. :heart: i've never seen that! i'm so excited to test them all out lol. thank you!!

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
some of them might be hard to do, considering the actual grade (slant) of certain styles - but definitely worth the challenge. :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

View attachment 33840

I can see where many of these are possible but some are not just do to the nature of the tile system in UO. Perhaps later down the road some might be more viable options but for now some simply are not. IMO.

I've done roofing many times in UO often friends will ask me to "finish" their design by completing the roof for them... Which I'm fine with. Sometimes though I do have to break the news to them that the roof simply won't work with their designs.

I wish they would give us the missing roofing tiles to many of the tile sets. I don't even bother using a vast majority of them because either they lack the peak parts or the valleys. Most lack valleys which is fine if you are just building a plain jane roof but if your roof has inner corners you have to have valleys.