• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Classic house designs

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I love the classic designs, Villas and Sandstones in particular, though I see very few compared to borg cubes these days. I'll admit that I'm currently living in a castle and a custom house. I know there are other things that are higher priority but I wouldn't mind seeing some new designs added.

Plant Elemental

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Rather than blank house plots, I would have like to have seen the old houses, like villas and 2 story wood and plaster, be fully customizable from the interior only. Or even be able to change the houses color and window styles. After that, they could make more house designs to choose from, such as "a small house with a yard" or a 2 story villa with a large yard, or "a 2-story large log cabin".

I just hate seeing blank 18x18 plots all over the place as well as borg cubes littering the landscape.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Agreed, being able to start with some of the classic designs and being able to modify them just a bit would be whole a lot easier than trying to build a peaked roof - which is the reason you see so many of those borg cubes

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually, even with their limitations, I'm thinking of a classic design for my next house, because - even with their limitations - they look better than anything I know how to build. I've just never been good at house deco and never will.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Never. Outside my Keep and Castle never... I'd rather design something nicer and more user friendly.

If it weren't for storage and name.... I wouldn't have the keep or castle either .... I'd have a custom plot. But since I can't get the storage from an 18x18 that I can in a castle or keep I guess I have to suffer with the extremely unfriendly designs.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish we could semi-customize castles and keeps. I mean like add teleporters, doors, windows, and cosmetic stuff.

Uriah I agree about the crystal custom house tiles just ugh. There's a Luna house on our shard that is made of nothing but those, I refer to it as the fortress of solitude meets smurf blue hell.

I think it'd be nice to add some new classic houses.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I wish we could semi-customize castles and keeps. I mean like add teleporters, doors, windows, and cosmetic stuff.

Uriah I agree about the crystal custom house tiles just ugh. There's a Luna house on our shard that is made of nothing but those, I refer to it as the fortress of solitude meets smurf blue hell.

I think it'd be nice to add some new classic houses.
Wouldn't it be nice if the DEV's redid the crystal to look decent?????

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've asked for years when threads like this come up, so I won't miss my opportunity now :D.

Can L-shaped home owners get some customization options? Show alil love to the old school L-Shapes?
Ideally, I'd LOVE:love: to be able to square off the foundation provided it complies with placement rules of course
and not have it affect any Grandfathered Status.

Goza mat floors don't work on L-shaped because the footprint on the Y axis keeps the peaked roof angles. Effectively, you cant make any flat floors that are able to walk around on. At this point I'd gladly take any bone the Devs would be willing to throw me:drool:.

L-Shaped Home Owners Need Love Too !:smooch:

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
I love the classic designs, but I also love to build. Here I've copied the design from the Bank in east Britain and the interieur is inspired by a Farm House and the old Smith Shop. :smile2:

Forge&Anvil.gif

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I redid a large smithy as well, since one wouldn't fit, or I'm not so good at exact placing.. I love classic houses, large smithy w/ patio's and large bricks are my absolute favorite. This is what would happen if they had a baby I guess lol.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I love the classic designs, but I also love to build. Here I've copied the design from the Bank in east Britain and the interieur is inspired by a Farm House and the old Smith Shop. :smile2:

View attachment 31446
Now that's what I'm talking about - the classic design with some personal alterations - I applaud your skill - building from scratch seems to be the only option now - it would be much easier to place a classic house and then be able to tinker with it a bit - have the developers said if that's a possibility?
EDIT: I think this suggestion would pay off, since houses are one of main reasons people open second accounts
EDIT EDIT: and third accounts and fourth accounts and fifth accounts ...

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It would be nice to see some classic houses in the expansion that were larger and had enough storage capacity to compete with the towers, castles and 18x18 "Borg Cubes". However, even though I feel that some of the classic houses are nicer in design, I'm always going to go for maximum space and storage capacity.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Looks just like my "Large Smithy" home placed by deed back in 98 only A LOT nicer :)
Beautifully done Sir !!
Very nice Piotr!
Now that's what I'm talking about - the classic design with some personal alterations - I applaud your skill - building from scratch seems to be the only option now - it would be much easier to place a classic house and then be able to tinker with it a bit - have the developers said if that's a possibility?
EDIT: I think this suggestion would pay off, since houses are one of main reasons people open second accounts
Thank you all! :blushing:

You may also like my other little project then. I stole the pond from EvilPixieWorks guide in UO Homes and Castles. :smile2:

Hideout.gif

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I remember having a small back around 98. I thought it was the grandest thing ever. I was surrounded by reds but since I was from the hood we all got along great. I liked that house at the time better than my castle now.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I took a ride around Great Lakes today - not as populated as Atlantic but quite a bit more than I expected - cheers, all you play on Great Lakes.
And what did I see? Yes, those cube-shaped borg houses all across the land.
Why? 1. Maximum storage, as has been pointed out, and 2. Apparently most people have not mastered the arcane art of putting a hipped roof on an 18x18. (I've tried it myself and given up)
The solution? How hard would it be to add a roof template in the customizing menu, where we could just click on a roof design to match the foundation? Result - 18 x18s with real roofs. Is that doable?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think the only one of my houses on GL'S that I would concede is a cube would be my Theatre. .. but it's more of a need to get the most space from the building allowing for more seats. .. Don't think any of the others are cubes not counting the Keep and Castle.

If you would like a tour just PM me and I'll be happy to meet up with you and show you around.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think the only one of my houses on GL'S that I would concede is a cube would be my Theatre. .. but it's more of a need to get the most space from the building allowing for more seats. .. Don't think any of the others are cubes not counting the Keep and Castle.
If you would like a tour just PM me and I'll be happy to meet up with you and show you around.
Seeing nice-looking houses is one thing. Knowing how to build them is another. What I would really like to see is an easier way to build houses so they like nice, especially roofs.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yes, that's the guide I followed last time I tried to make a roof, and I couldn't ever get it right. That's why I'm calling it an arcane and difficult art that I don't see many people accomplishing. Maybe because I was using EC? Did I hear somebody saying this is easier in the CC?
EDIT:I noticed this note at the bottom of the guide
"Jonathan Baron says:
February 24, 2012 at 7:43 pm
You might want to note for users of the Enhanced Client that it does not have the helpful tooltips for roof tiles that the Classic Client does. EC users should keep a working copy of the CC on their computers for tasks such as this.
Many thanks for this article. Many folks just skip roofing altogether because it is so obtuse."
So indeed, we EC users should switch to CC when building a roof?

Last edited:

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I want to mention that the new interface for Stratics is live with all the Old Stratics housing guides, and more are coming.
You can find direct links here:
https://stratics.com/community/threads/house-construction-deco-guides.339459/

And yes, the links in that post will continue to grow and be updates. :)

For myself, I place homes with the EC, but always build & deco with the CC. I've found it easier to deal with that way.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've never used the test center much, but sounds like it would be a good place to learn how to build. How long do houses last there? Is it hard to find a spot?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yes, that's the guide I followed last time I tried to make a roof, and I couldn't ever get it right. That's why I'm calling it an arcane and difficult art that I don't see many people accomplishing. Maybe because I was using EC? Did I hear somebody saying this is easier in the CC?
EDIT:I noticed this note at the bottom of the guide
"Jonathan Baron says:
February 24, 2012 at 7:43 pm
You might want to note for users of the Enhanced Client that it does not have the helpful tooltips for roof tiles that the Classic Client does. EC users should keep a working copy of the CC on their computers for tasks such as this.
Many thanks for this article. Many folks just skip roofing altogether because it is so obtuse."
So indeed, we EC users should switch to CC when building a roof?
This is true. I've adapted to just knowing which tiles are which. It's a skill... however I've mentioned to Pinco about the missing tips on the roofs he says they are their but they aren't.

One thing I can say for sure is that if you do a roof in the EC you can NOT then go into the CC and change out a tile. The roofs done in one client are not at the same height as roofs done in the other and no amount of going up or down the scales will "fix" it. It's like they are 1/2 a step different. Typically the EC roof is higher than the CC roof in pitch. It's very odd. You would think that a tile is a tile no matter what client it is but it's not. Often as well the EC roof many times goes orange but you can't see it as orange in the EC.... you have to go into the CC many times to accept the roof you built. For some reason sometimes you get an entire row that will go orange in the EC and if you go into the CC it will not be orange and you can accept it.

I've complained about it... and many times back in the day I put in bug reports about it in the early days of the EC while I was beta testing. I was told at the time that they weren't doing housing testing yet... and I should wait... well then they "release" the client and never got around to the housing issues..... which there are SEVERAL for the EC.

I just reserved myself to forcing myself back in the CC when designing houses because the CC doesn't have the massive packet loss the EC does when you are in custom mode.

If you remain in custom mode for long in the EC it will eventually reach a point where you have to shut down the client or it just gets impossible to do anything.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Are we sure placing a house on test center won't condemn my regular house on that account - despite the scary message to the contrary?

Melchiah

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Some nice houses being shown here, and as someone who's only just started to tinker with housing, really good to read through all the hints and tips! (15 years of Marble Patio ownership does that to someone)

Building a roof can be tricky I've found, and I've tried to combine new with old in my current design of my new house. However, there are bits that still annoy me - ringed in the picture!

upload_2015-5-4_16-53-28.png

I've tried playing with a few tiles and designs, but getting the chimney right is the most tricky so far (never mind about the stone walls bleeding through)!

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Roof newbie question : I see only 6 rises for the roof tiles - does that mean you can't cover an 18 x 18 with one simple double slanted roof?
EDIT: @Kirthag ?

Last edited:

Melchiah

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yadd, I think you can, but you'd have to start it from the 2nd floor up. To get a rise of 9 on each side would take more than one floor of roofing, starting at height 3 or 4 on the penultimate floor and then 1-6 on the top floor.

Might be wrong, but without testing it can't say for sure!

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ah, thanks, didn't think about going up another floor - I'll try that

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
@Yadd of Legends
You can place on test & will not affect the production shards. There are spots, sometimes gotta go hunting. Usually the devs will warn people when they wipe the test shard. Just remember, it is test and not meant to be permanent.
You can incorporate more levels of roofing if you use more than one level of the house for the roof. The max per house level is 6.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
OK, I can't figure this out. I've been trying to put a single double-slanted roof over an 18 x 18 single level house on test center. I go to the 2nd floor and put rows 1-6 down. I go to level 3 to try to continue toward the center, and it looks right but is orange, so it can't be saved. I don't know if I actually want a single roof on an 18 x 18 in game, but I thought it was possible. What am I missing? Or is it not possible after all?
roof floor2.jpg roof3.jpg

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
you need to put a floor and walls to support the structure.
yeah, confusing....

but in real world construction, with long peaking roofs, there are extra joists and beams to support the height, so i suppose it would make sense.

edit:
there are two ways to do it...
1. have pillars coming up from your first floor
2. build up a floor with supporting pillars on the second floor

just think - each level needs to have support from the level below it. without support, you will get the orange tiles.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Building a floor and walls on the second
floor to support the roof on the third floor makes sense, but when I put a floor and walls on the second floor, I couldn't put a roof on the second floor - I'll try again to confirm that

Retlaw of Vesper

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Try full length walls in the 4 tiles that will continue up to the 3rd floor, not the half height you have now which do not count as "support walls".

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thanks I'll try that when I get home today - maybe this discussion will help some other house noobs out there :)

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You're right, @Retlaw of Vesper, adding taller wall sections in the middle of the upper floor made it stable. I'm still getting some gaps and rough edges not matching up well in the middle. Whew, this is a steep learning curve, at least for the likes of me :)
roof closer.jpg

Melchiah

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Getting there it seems! I think to get rid of the gaps and rough edges you might need to start the lowest tile on the lower floor one higher - so rather that level 1, start at 2.
Think that was the challenge I had with my stable at the front at that spans the two floors...

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Aye. I hardly start at lvl 1 unless i'm building the walls right to the edge of the plot.
It does take practice, and different styles act slightly different when placing double-layer roofs.

@Yadd of Legends - now add gables. :D