• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can't get past login on EC just installed.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just finished downloading the EC from here: Ultima Online Client Downloads | Mythic Entertainment | Ultima Online

It installed fine and did the long patching, which seemed to take just fine.
It tells me it is the 4.0.13.2 version.

However, when I try to start the game by entering my login - it just sits at that screen and does nothing... Have tried checking the "Complete File Check" option, which did get another patch of some kind, but it still won't get past the login screen...

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just finished downloading the EC from here: Ultima Online Client Downloads | Mythic Entertainment | Ultima Online

It installed fine and did the long patching, which seemed to take just fine.
It tells me it is the 4.0.13.2 version.

However, when I try to start the game by entering my login - it just sits at that screen and does nothing... Have tried checking the "Complete File Check" option, which did get another patch of some kind, but it still won't get past the login screen...
check firewalls, antivirus, etc...
remove nvidia firewall as well if you have it installed..

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
check firewalls, antivirus, etc...
remove nvidia firewall as well if you have it installed..
Hi Pinco.... It's primarily because I want to use your UI that I decided to try the EC...

I told Norton to allow everything in the Electronic Arts folder and I don't run the nvidia utility.... Anything else to check?

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Pinco.... It's primarily because I want to use your UI that I decided to try the EC...

I told Norton to allow everything in the Electronic Arts folder and I don't run the nvidia utility.... Anything else to check?
you should try to disable those programs to see if the game pass through the login, only in this case you can exclude them :p

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this is most commonly caused by this nvidia program called "nvidia network manager" for some reason it dont like ec, so if you got that installed id suggest uninstalling it :p

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks to both of you for your suggestions, but still no joy...

@ Pinco
you should try to disable those programs to see if the game pass through the login
Disabled Norton's and still no go...

@ Gilmour
this is most commonly caused by this nvidia program called "nvidia network manager" for some reason it dont like ec, so if you got that installed id suggest uninstalling it
My system board is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P that uses Intel's Bridge Chipset and Realtek's on-board chips for network. Video card is an ATI Radeon HD 4830 so no Nvidia stuff.

One thing that is wrong, I think, is that everytime I put a check in the "Perform Full File Check" box it gets the same 79217 byte file, and finishes that download with "Patch Complete". It will do this everytime I attempt to start the game, even though 2mins ago it got the same 79217 byte file.
It makes me wonder if the patch log is somehow not being written correctly... Where is the patch log (Win 7, 64bit) located? Or is this not the cause?

This same system runs the Classic Client just fine, btw... not that that's related...

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
patch log is <EC FOLDER>\logs\

and files will be named something with patcher.<date>.log

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's the patch log info:
[2011/04/03 10:51:52] Failed to load module [http]
[2011/04/03 10:51:52] libpatchclient initialized.
[2011/04/03 10:51:52] Currently running as [C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Enhanced\uopatch.exe]
[2011/04/03 10:51:52] Currently running as [C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Enhanced\uopatch.exe]
[2011/04/03 10:51:52] Notification of restart with alternate filename
[2011/04/03 10:51:53] Failed to load module [http]
[2011/04/03 10:51:53] libpatchclient initialized.
[2011/04/03 10:51:53] Currently running as [C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Enhanced\uopatch.bin]
[2011/04/03 10:51:53] Nothing to patch for [EAMythic Patcher]
[2011/04/03 10:51:57] Nothing to patch for [UO]
Couple of things:
1-
Notification of restart with alternate filename
What's that all about?

2-
Failed to load module [http]
And this?

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
am not sure tbh hehe

i suspect the failed to load http module means it simply couldnt connect, but don't hang me up on it :)

http = hyper text transfer protocol

same like browsers use to load webpages

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
am not sure tbh hehe

i suspect the failed to load http module means it simply couldnt connect, but don't hang me up on it :)

http = hyper text transfer protocol

same like browsers use to load webpages
Thx Gilmour, but that much I know....
Now, can somebody that knows the "normal" structure and content of the patch log please weigh in here?

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if you have successfully patched the client up to the latest version, is not a patcher problem, but there is something that blocks the client network activity.

Check windows firewall, windows defender and all this kind of programs able to block things without ask :p

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if you have successfully patched the client up to the latest version, is not a patcher problem, but there is something that blocks the client network activity.

Check windows firewall, windows defender and all this kind of programs able to block things without ask :p
Windows Firewall and Windows Defender are both off (being managed by Norton), and I disabled Norton.... Still no joy:bored:

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Windows Firewall and Windows Defender are both off (being managed by Norton), and I disabled Norton.... Still no joy:bored:
this is the moment to call for the EA tech support :O
I suggest to use the live chat for something quick... good "luck" :D

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
try going into the uo stygian abyss folder and run uosa.exe NOT the uopatch file and bypass the patcher and see if that works

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
if you have anything under add remove programs along the lines of "Nvidia Forceware Network Manager" Uninstall it.
Had the same problem when I moved to windows 7 professional.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
try going into the uo stygian abyss folder and run uosa.exe NOT the uopatch file and bypass the patcher and see if that works
Hi Storm, saw you today in New Magincia :)

Already tried running uosa.exe, same result...:eek:

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if you have anything under add remove programs along the lines of "Nvidia Forceware Network Manager" Uninstall it.
Had the same problem when I moved to windows 7 professional.
Running nothing from Nvidia on this system, but thx for the input...

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
long shot, but might want to check your router for odd port forwarding? :)

saying that i dont even know what port uo use, but i can find out :)

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
long shot, but might want to check your router for odd port forwarding? :)

saying that i dont even know what port uo use, but i can find out :)
Excellent thinking, Gilmour. Actually, checking port forwarding is something that I had done already. I looked to see if the Classic Client required anything on my router, but there was nothing at all there for EA. So I've just assumed that since the Classic Client didn't require any port forwarding, then neither would the Enhnaced Client. And, come to think of it, if port forwarding WERE required, EA's client base (users) would be severely restricted, since MOST users would have NO idea how to do this.

But, thx for the suggestion...

Oh, btw... I did do a chat with EA support, and it ended up with him forwarding the case to someone "higher" who is supposed to "email" me. I'm waiting for that email...

I really hate to remove/reinstall the client because of the hour it takes to get it updated online... But I may have to....

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I know others in the past have has similar problems so it would be great if they figure out what is wrong if you would come back and let us know so we can help the next guy ;-)

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
another long shot, what version number you have on login screen?

current ec version is 4.0.13.2

also check if windows firewall is enabled despite norton suppose to turn it off.

and check your installed apps once more if anything could interfere with network or internet traffic

stop torrent if you got it running.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
another long shot, what version number you have on login screen?

current ec version is 4.0.13.2
Yep, current version displayed as 4.0.13.2

also check if windows firewall is enabled despite norton suppose to turn it off.
Done already, Windows firewall is not running.

and check your installed apps once more if anything could interfere with network or internet traffic
See comments below.....

stop torrent if you got it running.
No torrents running...

Thanks Gilmour for your suggestions (and for your very nice UO Promotion page that I'll reference with a link once this thread is finished... don't want to re-route assistance here just yet)

Yesturday afternoon I spent over an hour on the phone with the 2nd and then 3rd levels of EA support, and still no joy. (Will be contacted via email by someone at the "next" level to continue... *wonders how many "levels" there are*...

We went thru almost everything... It helps that I've worked in Windows tech support for over 25yrs, so we can do most checks really, really quick.

Here's some of what we tried beyond the usual stuff:

Ran msconfig and loaded Selective startup, loading only system services.
Disabled all Startup items.
Ran dxdiag and sent log to them, no issues there, no peripherals connected beyond wired mouse/keyboard.
And more stuff that I can't remember right now...

Nothing worked. At the end of the support call we decided to go ahead and try uninstall/reinstall - which I did, got all the patches, everything appeared to progress perfectly (no errors, etc.). But again, as before, it simply will not proceed from the Login screen. No errors, nothing... It just sits there.

Here's some more wierdness... I have a system that sits next to this one that runs Win7/64bit just like this one and IT runs the EC just fine. Both are hardwired to same router (which eliminates the router for sure). Both run the Classic Client perfectly... Both use the exact same security, and both seem to have all pertinent settings the same...

One last thing... He did mention that he was "looking" at a number of cases similar to mine - in fact we applied some of the fixes for those - again with no joy. (Deleting misc EA folders/files, etc...)

I'm beyond angry, now I'm pis*ed... This problem is NOT going to get the best of me, I will find out what is happening here.

Does anyone know what the CC "code" is doing at the moment you hit the Login button? I know it hits the EA login servers and checks account login (obviously), but what else.... And when it hits the servers, even with an incorrect login, it should then show SOMETHING... What the heck is the EC doing at this point?

**grumbles under breath***
:coco:

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
hmm when you uninstall the ec are you also removing the character files located in your documents folder ?
the more I read this the more it reminds me of a couple of years ago when messanna got involved and got someone to look into the log in server and there was something not working right for a very certain type of computer!

Wish i could remember the details

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
is the install file you used UOEnhancedSetup_4_0_10_1.exe ?

EDIT: above install file works fine

i will try and install it and let you know if it gives a bad install at least..

one more question, do you have multiple lan connections, one of which has no internet?

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmm when you uninstall the ec are you also removing the character files located in your documents folder ?
the more I read this the more it reminds me of a couple of years ago when messanna got involved and got someone to look into the log in server and there was something not working right for a very certain type of computer!

Wish i could remember the details
Hi Storm... Actually, those character files are loaded by the client the first time you "log into" the game, so.. since I haven't been able to get the EC to ever "log into" the game - the files don't exist... (We did check to be sure, but they aren't there..

But thx for thinking with us on this and offering the input...

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
i am wondering if this is the problem for some reason it cant make the files? whatt if you loaded them from another pc ?(not sure if you have access to one)

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i am wondering if this is the problem for some reason it cant make the files? whatt if you loaded them from another pc ?(not sure if you have access to one)
those files SHOULD not cause an issue in any case untill you have selected a character.

that being said, you might want to check the ea games folder in documents is not write protected

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
those files SHOULD not cause an issue in any case untill you have selected a character.

that being said, you might want to check the ea games folder in documents is not write protected
Thats a good idea

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
is the install file you used UOEnhancedSetup_4_0_10_1.exe ?
Yes it is.

one more question, do you have multiple lan connections, one of which has no internet?
Now, THAT, is something that hadn't occurred to me - but, alas, it's the other system that has 2 network connections on the system board, this one has only one.

But keep thinkin.... pls...:thumbsup:

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Actually, the "character" files (individual char files) aren't "created" (for the first time) or "modified" (subsequent logins for each char) until you ACTUALLY log in each character. I can't even get to the screen that allows you to select a SHARD (much less a character)...

But thanks to you guys for hang'in in there with me and for all your thoughts so far.... Very much appreciated.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
whats your size of your EC directory excluding userinterface?

CTRL + A
Deselect userinterface
right click - > properties

if you are fully patched this should return something similar to 2gig more or less excactly.

do you get a apache test page on http://63.117.29.33/ ? its the patch server

also try "ping 159.153.209.79" in a command promt, its the login server.

login port is 7775 btw

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
take another look at norton and make a manual exception for uosa.exe

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
take another look at norton and make a manual exception for uosa.exe
Did that 1st day (made exceptions for both uosa.exe and uopatch.exe). Don't forget that my 2nd system uses the exact same Norton's and they both use the same router, and it runs the EC fine.

But thx once again for still thinkin' with me............ :)

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmm.. am running short of ideas.

but what we know so far is your pc has connection to login server, but client for some reason cant find it or is blocked from it.

you do have an IPv4 adress i presume? (4 block one)

did you make an exception in norton for both tcp and udp?

try and go on resource monitor
control panel -> system and secutity -> admin tools -> performance monitor -> resource monitor

click the network tab and see if any unsual data is there.

also if you did the dns fix in hosts file undo them, they no longer work.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not particularly helpful, but that patch log matches mine for every time I've launched the client.
Here's just one launch:
[2011/04/16 09:33:44] Failed to load module [http]
[2011/04/16 09:33:44] libpatchclient initialized.
[2011/04/16 09:33:44] Currently running as [C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Stygian Abyss\uopatch.exe]
[2011/04/16 09:33:45] Currently running as [C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Stygian Abyss\uopatch.exe]
[2011/04/16 09:33:45] Notification of restart with alternate filename
[2011/04/16 09:33:46] Failed to load module [http]
[2011/04/16 09:33:46] libpatchclient initialized.
[2011/04/16 09:33:46] Currently running as [C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Stygian Abyss\uopatch.bin]
[2011/04/16 09:33:46] Nothing to patch for [EAMythic Patcher]
[2011/04/16 09:33:50] Nothing to patch for [UO]
[2011/04/16 09:33:50] Patch Operation Complete.

K

k0t

Bump!

Did anyone find a solution yet?
I just installed the EC yesterday and ran into the same problem.

Tried disabling my Firewall and don't have any NVidia stuff installed ...

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
anyone have tried in windows safe mode (with network)?

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was that your first time running EC or did you install and uninstall it before? If so, did you use any virus/malware/spyware/adware removal programs during that time? Some of those programs might cause these kinds of connection issues while fixing and/or removing registry entries or adware.

V

Vittorio Di Riniari

It'd be great if people who have no clue what the OP is talking about stopped responding to these threads. Makes it impossible to find a genuine solution.

I'm having the same issue on Vista x64. I was able to copy and paste the files to a VMWare copy of Windows 7 x64 and the game ran perfectly fine.

Is there an official response to this bug anywhere?

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It'd be great if people who have no clue what the OP is talking about stopped responding to these threads. Makes it impossible to find a genuine solution.

I'm having the same issue on Vista x64. I was able to copy and paste the files to a VMWare copy of Windows 7 x64 and the game ran perfectly fine.

Is there an official response to this bug anywhere?
No official response yet. I once used a malware removal program on Vista Ultimate - 64 bit called ComboFix, after which this issue started. Classic client was working fine but the Enhanced Client somehow wasn't connecting to the login server. I uninstalled and installed the game several times (you can copy the animation files and paste it to the new installation folder to lower the update size to a few mbs) without any luck. So I think some of the issues might be related to the removed registry entries.

K

k0t

Still can't connect and pretty much tried everything you guys suggested ... :(

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what is your results on this?

do you get a apache test page on http://63.117.29.33/ ? its the patch server

also try "ping 159.153.209.79" in a command promt, its the login server.

login port is 7775

also you you have multiple lan interfaces?

P

PaxCorpus

I found this page via Google and decided that I'd like to post here as well. I started up a 14 day trial and installed the EC client (which is the client that I'd like to use, considering the classic client gives me crazy screen tearing and it's really small) and I'm having this exact problem.

Windows firewall isn't on.
Nod32 has the exception.
I've uninstalled and reinstalled.
Classic works, EC doesn't.

Simply cannot login and my 14 day trial has 7 days left.

Considering the last post was a month ago, I'm guessing there never will be a solution to this problem?

Are the shards even populated?

I was interested in this game because I enjoy the complexity of older games and this, being the first MMO, I wanted to give it a shot. But without a thorough 14 days and the most up-to-date client (being the EC) client, I guess I can't do that.

:/

I do play EVE Online as well, but I was hoping for a vacation in the world of UO.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Check the client version, you need 4.0.16.2 compiled @ Jul 19 2011 13:35:40

You can also send me a pm or ICQ, i can try to help you to get it running.

P

PaxCorpus

Check the client version, you need 4.0.16.2 compiled @ Jul 19 2011 13:35:40

You can also send me a pm or ICQ, i can try to help you to get it running.
Hmm, my client says July 29th at the top. Will send a PM though.