• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Begging Improvements - Ideas & Proposals

G

Post your ideas here for expansions/improvements on Begging you'd like to see.

G

I'd like to see a system of maladies, possibly invokable based on Begging skill level. Every good beggar has at least one medical complaint and I feel adding the following would greatly enhance roleplay.

Limp/Stagger - character's walk animation stumbles on a regular or random basis.
Infestation - character is surrounded by a swarm of fleas/mites, similar to Nature's Fury
Stammer/Lisp - character involuntarily t-talks l-like this, or like thith inthtead
Pox/Blight - character emits a foul odour in a cloud similar to gas traps
Lunacy - character has outbursts of a deranged nature, much like blackrock voices

..and so on. These could be accessed by Begging oneself, and toggled on/off via a menu similar to the polymorph menu. Perhaps the higher the skill, the more maladies could be toggled on at once, say one for every 20 skill.

G

I love the maladies idea, hehehe. I wish the begging timer would be removed, back in the day when 20 gold was a decent bit to get from begging it made sense, but nowadays a mongbat that kills itself on you has more than that. I don't want an increase in the amount, I just want the annoying timer to be removed so I don't fall asleep while working my skill. Maybe add some items to the heartwood elves, like maybe pants and shoes to go with the shirt, some more food items, nothing major just a bit more variety. As is Begging is more of a RP/goof off skill, so can we maybe make it a little less of a chore for the few of us who like doing it?

My beggar personally is a down on his luck ex-wrestler (complete with cheesy outfit and gold "title" belt.) I have 6 or so begging macros made with silly sayings to entertain those that see me beg

Rey~

G

I want the begging timer removed too. I just don't see the point of having a timer anymore.

S

Salty Pete

The thing I'd like to see more than anything for begging right now is the addition of power scrolls and content for grand master + beggars. Things like additional items, quests and higher cash rewards from begging the higher the skill level.

D

Dor of Sonoma

The thing I'd like to see more than anything for begging right now is the addition of power scrolls and content for grand master + beggars. Things like additional items, quests and higher cash rewards from begging the higher the skill level.
*grins*

You mean, like...a cane for an Elder Beggar?

W

Warrior of Time

I would like to see more people want to be a GM beggar. I think the only way to do that is to have something everyone wants that you can only get from begging. (Example: House Deco) Not just junk. Worth selling when down on your luck. I know I would like a full sized statue of a beggar with really nice detail. Maybe even ask for something as you walk by.

A split in karma would also be nice.
Glorious Feeble Minded Lady Grand Master Beggar.

Not only show your a begger but the higest level you can get. Lets face it who would give anything to a Glorious Lady. She sure would be feeble minded to be a beggar.

Ok all kidding a side Show what you are. Every one else can. [Warrior, Tamer]

S

Salty Pete

Here is an idea for the begging skill: Interactive play

Currently the begging skill is simply a passive skill check. You click the skill use and it either succeeds or fails giving you a random reward or a fail message.

My proposal is this: Make it an active skill use.

A few ideas for active skill use:

• Select beg messages from a drop down list
  • Select emotion to use from a drop down list
  • Select body language from a drop down list

At the same time tie that into a fame/karma better reward system.

NPCs at the high end of the scale would give higher fame and lower karma with a chance at a better reward (gold or item)

NPCs on the low end would give higher karma and lower fame with a lesser chance of a better reward (gold or item)

W

Warrior of Time

I want to see more zero tameing skill pets. Squirrel and song bird looks cute. They don't step on each other either.
Since they redid the squirrels in KR they look great. Not much larger than a rabbit. Cats and cat movement don't show up very well in KR.

Crystal pets bond at the time you break the crystal. No need to wait a week like you do the song bird.

W

Warrior of Time

While talking about worn clothing. Why not have worn out armor. No resists. It would be nice to have a full set of worn out leather armor. They have all 70s armor why not all 0s armor. Maybe make it useful only if all the parts are there. Beggars need protection too. I want a all 70 armor aquired by begging. Maybe that would be something to beg for. Now that would be worth swaping for. That stuff would be harder to get a set of than the spring cleaning armor. You never know what part you would get next.

W

Warrior of Time

Ok. I give.
Scratch the interactive statue IF you add a new line for us Beggars on the personal attendent. That way as a person walks into my house it would say something like "(Person's name) can you please spair a few gold."

W

Warrior of Time

I want to say thanks to anyone that will be adding content and items that can be begged for.
I was wondering if it was possable to get just one item that others would like or want. Not many want what we now get. A item that is usefull for others. I know that is a real brain scratcher since it is hard to know what people may or may not like. I know one thing though. If anyone can think of an item the Dev in UO can.

Talk about the top beg of the month. This may well be it. I know asking is one thing and in a beggars life getting another.

Be nice to get something like a Fox Glove from begging. They really are nice. Also no one can grow them. (as of now)

Something that can make a beggar someone more visable to the public.

L

Lunaticus

This might not be a popular idea, but I thought I would put it out there anyway. . . How about making the begging skill able to be used on other players? You could target another player, and if successful, the other player would receive a message like "you feel compelled to give aid to this unfortunate soul." If the person being begged has gold in their pack, then the beggar would get a bit, not much mind you, maybe like a max of ten percent of what's in the pack. What might be even more festive is, in the event of a failed begging attempt, the player being begged gets a message like "you take a stick to the beggar" at which time the beggar gets a good whacking from the player and loses a few hit points.

Oh, and I'm all for a few more begging items, maybe a moth eaten cloak (cloak graphic with holes), worn out shoes (same holes, only shoes), stuff like that. I would love to hit the towns sporting the latest in tattered, beggar ware!

B

Beastmaster

Why not tie begging to the virtues in addition to karma. Humility has not been done yet and whatever they might add for it for other players, they could also add the ability to gain in it through begging from other players. The player that submits to the beg could gain in compassion. As for karma, begging from a player should lower the beggar's karma on a scale of higher karma loss when begging from players with low end fame and less loss when begging from high fame players. If the player denies the beg they would lose karma equal to what the beggar loses.

New unique items are also always welcome.

I'm against powerscrolls for begging. 100 points devoted to begging and the time it takes to get there is enough.

W

Warrior of Time

If your going to beg from a player why not just set a macro and ask. That way you have no skill timer, no need to have begging skill at all. They even pay more. I had one guy see I was a GM beggar just for the tital on me. Gave me 900+ gold. I didn't even ask for it.
He just wanted to get into the roll of giving to a beggar that was a player not a npc.

I have seen a few do it that way but they never stick to it for long. They are the ones that tire quickly of the skill or the playing of the roll.

I would rather just get something of value from a npc by actually useing the skill. That way it is an honest to goodness reward from the use of the skill.

That is why I want something of true worth by useing the skill worked for. You don't even gain in skill begging from players.

I can't help it but I take offence to someone calling all the hours I spent useless. I feel that if I get something of value that others like but can't get unless you take the same amout of time I did into actual skill gains. IT need not be of Great value. Just something others want that only I can get useing my skill. [The begging skill]

I personally think the the Foxglove flowers are the most beautiful flowers in the game. At this point can't be gotten by growing. Seing them in a person's lawn would give pride to any beggar. The more you can get the less value can be attached to it.
Look at the skull with candle. That is so common that before the turn in most didn't bother much stealing it. The reason is if you reveal and get killed takeing one the insurence of a single item cost more. On GL they sold for as little as 500 gp. Insure anything cost 600.

Giving the beggar something that is as nice as the Foxglove Flowers add worth, and beauty to begging. That one thing would remove the begging skill from the useless list.

You see somthing like that flower every one knows who and what it took to get them. That is one thing that will not need to tell people aquired by begging... You see a skull candle you know that it was stolen. That thing even tells how rare it is. The Foxglove Flowers don't need to say a beggar got it.

It can't be stolen, killed monsters for. It is a thing of beauty that only a beggar can provide. Begging can't fill bods, or gain great wealth. Something like that reminds me of a simple flower girl.

I would like that flower, and tattered clothing added.

That would mean a beggar could get a little food, (scratch that. A lot of bread and water is not a little food) clothing for their back, and a flower that could brighten anyones day.

I

Infiniti

If your going to beg from a player why not just set a macro and ask. That way you have no skill timer, no need to have begging skill at all. They even pay more. I had one guy see I was a GM beggar just for the tital on me. Gave me 900+ gold. I didn't even ask for it.
He just wanted to get into the roll of giving to a beggar that was a player not a npc.

I have seen a few do it that way but they never stick to it for long. They are the ones that tire quickly of the skill or the playing of the roll.

I would rather just get something of value from a npc by actually useing the skill. That way it is an honest to goodness reward from the use of the skill.

That is why I want something of true worth by useing the skill worked for. You don't even gain in skill begging from players.

I can't help it but I take offence to someone calling all the hours I spent useless. I feel that if I get something of value that others like but can't get unless you take the same amout of time I did into actual skill gains. IT need not be of Great value. Just something others want that only I can get useing my skill. [The begging skill]

I personally think the the Foxglove flowers are the most beautiful flowers in the game. At this point can't be gotten by growing. Seing them in a person's lawn would give pride to any beggar. The more you can get the less value can be attached to it.
Look at the skull with candle. That is so common that before the turn in most didn't bother much stealing it. The reason is if you reveal and get killed takeing one the insurence of a single item cost more. On GL they sold for as little as 500 gp. Insure anything cost 600.

Giving the beggar something that is as nice as the Foxglove Flowers add worth, and beauty to begging. That one thing would remove the begging skill from the useless list.

You see somthing like that flower every one knows who and what it took to get them. That is one thing that will not need to tell people aquired by begging... You see a skull candle you know that it was stolen. That thing even tells how rare it is. The Foxglove Flowers don't need to say a beggar got it.

It can't be stolen, killed monsters for. It is a thing of beauty that only a beggar can provide. Begging can't fill bods, or gain great wealth. Something like that reminds me of a simple flower girl.

I would like that flower, and tattered clothing added.

That would mean a beggar could get a little food, (scratch that. A lot of bread and water is not a little food) clothing for their back, and a flower that could brighten anyones day.

Absolutely Agree. Beggars need something unique that only they can get and doesn't come with the tag "aquired by begging". The way the skill is now it is only useful once a year.

W

Warrior of Time

I think if new items are added we need them to be given in a much larger area than a place like Heartwood. Not only do we have a timer but the NPCs have one. If someone gets to them first then the next person may need to wait thill the NPC times if the area is too small.

New items could mean new beggars. That is not a bad thing but could slow gains as well as the number of any new items that can be gotten.

It has happened to me several times in Heartwood. I had to change the area I was in because a number of the ones in that spot had been taken by them or me.

Also it would be nice to have the NPCs that are in town give a better chance of gain and higher rewards. Heartwood can be over run.

W

Warrior of Time

Be nice to get something like a Fox Glove from begging. They really are nice. Also no one can grow them. (as of now)

Well so much for not being able to grow the Fox Glove. Seems you can now get the seeds from killing Titans. I guess we need to find something else that can't be got in the game that stands out for the begging skill.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I am begging, and I go to click on my next target, and the npc moves at just the last second, and I end up clicking on nothing but the floor where he was standing. That's not the part that needs to be fixed. That stupid timer goes off forcing me to wait another 10 seconds or so before I can attempt to beg again.

If the skill wasn't actually used, the timer shouldn't be started. It may sound petty that I'm complaining about a 10 second timer, but when you're sitting there waiting for your next attempt, 10 seconds seems a lot longer than it actually is.

Anyone else feel the same way about this? The 10 second skill timer should only apply if you actually target a valid NPC and succeed or fail in your attempt. Selecting an invalid target should not invoke the timer.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't mind the timer being there, as long as it only applies to when you actually beg from an NPC.

Don't get me wrong though, I wouldn't miss it at all if it were removed.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know if I would want to see changes that would make everyone and their brother run right out and start a beggar. There are certain classes in this game (granted it's a very small number) that make the few of us who play those classes, and enjoy them, feel like part of a special group. (Chef's & Thieves come to mind)

I for one would like to see some special clothing items for beggars. Tattered, dirty & worn out looking stuff. Let us have something to stand out from the banksitters. It's hard to RP a beggar when the clothes you're wearing are in pristine condition, and clean looking.

A

Annienox

Agreed! Timer or not if you miss it shouldn't count on any missed targeted skill. I would really like to see the timer gone but I'm not greedy and would just like to see it fixed. Along with "Tim the Begger" in Nujelm who you should be able to buy begging off of but doesn't work. I'd rather see lil things like this fixed then some of the new stuff that they are comming out with. Don't get me wrong, I welcome the new things I just wish they would fix the lil things first or along with the new things.

S

Salty Pete

I don't mind the timer being there, as long as it only applies to when you actually beg from an NPC.

Don't get me wrong though, I wouldn't miss it at all if it were removed.
The timer is left over from a time when 1000 gold was a fortune.

The skill should be target based, not timer based. One beg per NPC with a 20 or so target limit before you can beg from the same NPC would work much better than a time delay. This would keep a player moving around yet it would also increase the skill gain by enough to put it inline with other skills.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

The skill should be target based, not timer based. One beg per NPC with a 20 or so target limit before you can beg from the same NPC would work much better than a time delay. This would keep a player moving around yet it would also increase the skill gain by enough to put it inline with other skills.
I TOTALLY agree!

W

Warrior of Time

Knowing how hard it is to GM begging. How many would actually stick to it long enough to GM. With the GM being the only way to get it. How many would be out there.

Along with the new gargoyal race being worked on there will be very few wanting much else. Bank setters are for the most part PVP. The new race is made just for PVP. If they want something they just buy it. The more of an item out there the cheeper it becomes.

As it stands now I think the area for getting items needs to be enlarged. At the same time it would keep a small area like Heartwood from being cramped.

Places like Minoc and Skara Brae could be used as well as other cities.

Thieves can not be considered a small group. When SA comes out they will be all over. That blessed set of armor is made for a thief. I have a perma grey thief, I know.

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I TOTALLY agree!

Me Too!

Do the devs even read this forum? I would say post this idea on uhall since most people are there, but they may just move it. Might be worth a shot. :)

F

Fink

I don't know if I would want to see changes that would make everyone and their brother run right out and start a beggar.
Same here, I feel beggars shouldn't be a power template. I think it was Grifty McBegg who said he preferred the road less travelled to the gimp superhighway (paraphrasing there). Basically if Begging becomes the new twink skill it's only a matter of time before it gets nerfed into the dust again.

I for one would like to see some special clothing items for beggars. Tattered, dirty & worn out looking stuff. Let us have something to stand out from the banksitters. It's hard to RP a beggar when the clothes you're wearing are in pristine condition, and clean looking.
I love the ragged edges on the death/ghost shroud. That sort of treatment for the paperdoll art would be great. Just some basics; a shirt, pants, dress, robe perhaps.. no super-suit but just a few pieces to mark you as down on your luck.

F

Fink

I TOTALLY agree!

Me Too!

Do the devs even read this forum? I would say post this idea on uhall since most people are there, but they may just move it. Might be worth a shot. :)
/signed, sealed, delivered.

*edit* Oh, and the "you are too far away to beg.." also invokes the timer, even though you don't get to do it.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just thought of this while talking about Sake, and starting a Begging Sake Museum.

How about at GM begging all items obtained come with an 'Obtained By' tag. Kind of like the makers mark on crafted items.

Example:
Turnip
Weight: 1 Stone
Acquired by Begging
Obtained by Gordon Ramsay

I think it would be kind of neat to be able to have a museum of begging items with tag's on them showing who got them.

A

alaina123

OH I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE BEG TIMER ROMOVED! ALSO I THINK THAT IN EACH TOWN WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET DIFFERANT THINGS FROM NPC'S LIKE IN HEARTWOOD...
NOT JUST GOLD ALL THE TIME, EVEN THOUGH GOLD IS NICE DONT TAKE THAT AWAY!

BUT FOR LIKE INSTANCE...MOONGLOW IS KNOWN FOR MAGIC, MINOC FOR MINING, SO THINGS THAT WOULD GO WITH EACH CITY GET DIFFERANT ITEMS.

Aavie of TMC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We should definately get new items with SA, I think. I love begging in Heartwood, and would hate for the gargoyles to give us gold. Alaina, I love your idea. It would be nice to have alot more than gold from the NPCs outside of Heartwood. I suppose they could make it profession based. If a NPC is a butcher, we could get bacon, or something that can't be easily bought or found. It would be nice to see the begger profesion made more useful than for just Halloween items.

A

alaina123

I agree avvie, begging is fun and should be made more usefull then for just holloween. hopefully our ideas will be seen. we also found if your char gets stuck in skill gains the following helps you gain again...kill the char (reset) or change server lines, go into another area to beg, and eat staying full helps you build skill. drinking is ok when begging just please.....never drink and recall!

B

Bamboo_Spyder

Attaching to end.....

I'd love to see most of the thing here done. but my 2 tops are decress the delay timer, and ability to put name of beggar on items.

A

alaina123

Oops my bad! *hands black sun a towel*

But it is very true, you never know where you'll end up or with what ogar...

T

Teiwaz

OH I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE BEG TIMER ROMOVED! ALSO I THINK THAT IN EACH TOWN WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET DIFFERANT THINGS FROM NPC'S LIKE IN HEARTWOOD...
NOT JUST GOLD ALL THE TIME, EVEN THOUGH GOLD IS NICE DONT TAKE THAT AWAY!

BUT FOR LIKE INSTANCE...MOONGLOW IS KNOWN FOR MAGIC, MINOC FOR MINING, SO THINGS THAT WOULD GO WITH EACH CITY GET DIFFERANT ITEMS.
Exactly what I was thinking except more along the lines like with "fished up items" the Begging items would come from the trash-boxes in town when the Begger targets it i.e. {begging target = trash-box/barrel} ...you rummage a bit... ...you find a "Tattered Dress"... ...do you wish to "tag-it"?{useing Black Sun's idea}...

Any thoughts?

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Exactly what I was thinking except more along the lines like with "fished up items" the Begging items would come from the trash-boxes in town when the Begger targets it i.e. {begging target = trash-box/barrel} ...you rummage a bit... ...you find a "Tattered Dress"... ...do you wish to "tag-it"?{useing Black Sun's idea}...

Any thoughts?
I really like that idea.

W

Warrior of Time

I like the idea of letting beggars take things back out of a trash barrel. Great idea. You never know what was tossed in there. Also being able to place the mark of a GM beggar on it would be much like a smith and an exception mark.

I can just see it now. A tatered dress found by Cindy.

Only way it could be better is for the towns people hear you doing it.

T

Teiwaz

I like the idea of letting beggars take things back out of a trash barrel. Great idea. You never know what was tossed in there. Also being able to place the mark of a GM beggar on it would be much like a smith and an exception mark.

I can just see it now. A tatered dress found by Cindy.

Only way it could be better is for the towns people hear you doing it.
The item(s) you get can also be skill based like with Fishing.

Begging Skill at GM could give you a 1% chance to find like say Armor i.e. a "rusty or broken/damaged Chainmail Coif"
a Skill at 90.1 and up could give you a 5% chance to find like say a Weapon i.e. a "rusty or broken/damaged Dagger"
a Skill at 80.1 and up could give you a 25% chance to find like say items i.e. a "ruined Spellbook" ; a "broken Stool" ;etc.
a Skill at 70.1 and up could give you a 50% chance to find clothing much like what has been discussed already.

Any thoughts or ideas welcomed! :D

W

Warrior of Time

I want to say thanks to anyone that will be adding content and items that can be begged for.
I was wondering if it was possable to get just one item that others would like or want. Not many want what we now get. A item that is usefull for others. I know that is a real brain scratcher since it is hard to know what people may or may not like. I know one thing though. If anyone can think of an item the Dev in UO can.

Told you they could. Thanks for the spider web. I hope we get to more things for beggars.

Beggars are alway thankful for what they get. If they wasn't they would be out of a job.

Miss Smoocher

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello, i am new to the forums so i hope i do ok very bad speller one reason why i have not been a member. but one thing i know well is uo and how much i love it. happy people love it as much as me. i would love to see added to begging is more things for other holidays. even with a few more things a year for the time it takes to train this skill. i know when i worked my tamers took forever. but much joy having pets to kill things for you. to begg and get things like a shirt that says its been gotten for just begging is junk to me nothing you can say hey look at the cool thing i got. so far begging is at 94.8 for me and really hating it. but still puting in the time i guess to use skill once a year seems a little nuts to me but here i am anyways i am done blabingtheres my 2 cents.:grouphug:

W

Warrior of Time

I'll second that one. All the other skills are used 365 days out of a year. That holiday one would be a nice add to our skill.

During the year no one noticed us gaining skills all these years. The beggar would be more visble if they added that.

Actually people are only now seeing the amount of work put into a single skill, begging. They also see the diff between just asking a player and gaining the skill. No need to scatter us all over the place on the other holidays like Halloween. Just hard is good enough.

Miss Smoocher

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sighs and says begging sucks.:sad3: just makes me want to pull out a small knife walk up to a NPC and say GIVE ME MY SKILL GAIN POINT NOW DAMN IT!!!!:sad2::sad2: for get the gold sighs well back to working the skill i guess...:gee: