• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bane Dragon Lifetime Feeding

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
How many stews are you all stocking up for bane dragon feedings?
I mean for disobeys and happiness levels, not just for bonding purposes.

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldn't really worry about it if you have 99% control chance since they gain happiness for every command they obey.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2 thats it. I heard one person mention they eat tasty treats.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Cal mentioned that there would be a long-term loyalty solution, so only a couple here.

J

[JD]

which begs the question, exactly what is required for taming and 99% control on a bane?

at 120 taming/110 lore I had no problems taming or controlling.

However I tried to transfer some to a friend with 110/110. some transferred but on HALF of them it refused to transfer because it would not obey him. they appear to all have different control levels or something?

as to the question, i will be farming blackrock til i have several. i have no idea when they will be putting the alternate food in, but if how long they waited to give gargoyles basic attention is any indication after SA release, it may be months. LOL

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I transferred one to a tamer with 110/115. The first time I tried, the bane refused, saying it wouldn't obey him. The second time, it transferred successfully.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
which begs the question, exactly what is required for taming and 99% control on a bane?

at 120 taming/110 lore I had no problems taming or controlling.

However I tried to transfer some to a friend with 110/110. some transferred but on HALF of them it refused to transfer because it would not obey him. they appear to all have different control levels or something?
The banes will have a fixed control skill I expect. This is gonna be a long winded explanation, but bear with me :D

When you transfer a pet, it checks the pet's loyalty and also the control chances of the tamer and the recipient tamer. Pet transfers seem to be treated like a pet command - if your control is on the low side, you get refusals. It's the same with transfers - a low skilled tamer can have a pet refuse to transfer several times before it succeeds. Failures can drop the pet loyalty and make the transfer harder, so you sometimes need to feed a pet when the transfer is really dodgy. If you have enough skill to receive a bane dragon though, any that refuse can be retried and eventually they'll all transfer.

As to the control requirement, think they had the same min taming skill as dreads... so same control. 110/110 would only give you 87.4% control. 112/112 will get 99% though.

Wenchy

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

But I probably won't actually use my dragon until I have 120/120 taming/lore, which will probably take a couple years at the rate I'm training.

Or until an alternative food source is found.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I wouldn't really worry about it if you have 99% control chance since they gain happiness for every command they obey.
I was one of the first people in the UO worlds with 120/120 skill for taming and lore.
I do realize that successful commands of your pet do increase loyalty.
This should not be something that is relied upon though.
There will be instances in your lifetime that will cause you to have to feed your pet. Relying on pet commands alone is.... unreliable.
Plus you never know when you will be transferred a new pet, when a friend quits or as a gift etc, later on in your UO life.

@Syrus I wonder what Cal was talking about. Has anyone tried to feed their pet once it was bonded? (either on test shard or origin) Maybe he meant there would be a permanent way to get the stew. Hmmm...

Shocked to see how many of you aren't planning on stocking up, I guess I am strange bc I was wondering if one chest full (125) was going to be enough LOL!

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If its going to be a pain to feed. It will simple be a pet I won`t bother with.....

J

[JD]

i have enough for 6 foods now.

they cant possibly expect us to farm a lifetime supply of crystalline blackrock. thats insane. it takes an hour per 20 on average.

i will probably save up some spares, in case i decide to move the pet to a different toon.

looks like 115/110 gives 99% control. 110/110 wont cut it

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It could be that crystalline blackrock isn't the ingredent in blackrock stew. One of the devs made a comment to the effect of how do we know that the bane guy is using the crystille blackrock that we give him to make the stew. It wouldn't suprise me if the ingredent isn't the normal mining blackrock...then again the secret ingredent could be people.

J

[JD]

i got some crystalline blackrock off rats in the abyss - not many mind you, their drop rate is... ABYSSal.. har har

but in any case, the blackrock from there stacks with the blackrock from the event

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Your Bane Dragon seems a bit peckish today and is not at full power." = Your Bane Dragon is unable to perform a poison breath attack. Fixable by feeding the ******* more blackrock stew I believe..

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
By the way. Speaking of feeding. Has anyone noticed a bane dragon fail a command? My taming is 120/110, and I've had my bane dragon down to "Extremely Happy" on a couple of occasions during training, but I've yet to have it fail a command.

I'm wondering if bane dragons are like swampies or other 0 taming critters in that they don't fail commands. Maybe that's something the devs did to balance out the cost of the stew, and all you need the stew for is powering up your dragon?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey! There'll be no flinging of things - I just dusted!

*gives Llewen that 'pick it up or else' look* :D

Wenchy

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
ummm, ok... I'll pick it up...

*looks sheepishly at his toes*

J

[JD]

My taming is 120/110, and I've had my bane dragon down to "Extremely Happy" on a couple of occasions during training, but I've yet to have it fail a command.
thats a little scary - and annoying - on a pet with hard to obtain food.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
My taming is 120/110, and I've had my bane dragon down to "Extremely Happy" on a couple of occasions during training, but I've yet to have it fail a command.
thats a little scary - and annoying - on a pet with hard to obtain food.
And I have had it fail a command once so far. So that kinda blew that theory out of the water...

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just find it extremely irritating that for a pet that was "supposed" to give players an alternative to dreads, they made it a requirement to farm rare ingredients to get an item that "powers up" the pet. Ridiculous. Soloing the spawn, I can get 60-70 CBR...good for three+ stews. Unless I farm it ALL day, for weeks on end, I'll never have enough to supply the stew needed to continuously use the dragon in the future. As I see it, they will be a novelty pet, brought out occasionally but mostly ignored. My dreads don't need to be powered up. I had no issue of needing the stew to bond the pet, but to create a pet with limited charges that needed the stew to continuously power up was a move that was, quite frankly, worse than stupid.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Well I guess it just depends on how effective the pet is without being "powered up", and how long the "power up" lasts. I won't relegate my bane dragon the shelf of "interesting but useless" critters until I've had a chance to do some hunting with a fully trained one. I'm working on that now... :)

Metalstorm

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By the way. Speaking of feeding. Has anyone noticed a bane dragon fail a command? My taming is 120/110, and I've had my bane dragon down to "Extremely Happy" on a couple of occasions during training, but I've yet to have it fail a command.

I'm wondering if bane dragons are like swampies or other 0 taming critters in that they don't fail commands. Maybe that's something the devs did to balance out the cost of the stew, and all you need the stew for is powering up your dragon?

My Bane has been down to extremely happy but rather than waste a stew, a few "All Follow" commands gets it back to wonderfully happy.

Mine has failed to comply once when asked to come but in hindsight I think it's path may have been blocked.

J

Jonathan Baron

Drives ya nuts doesn't it?

It's time to ship, the devs have been crunching for weeks, a guy in the test bay files a bug...

"No preferred food listing for Bane Dragon"

This is, of course, ignored....filed under a design issue rather than one of those critical/fatal bugs. Expansion ships...

In this scenario, the guy who came up with the rock stew nonsense was, of course, fired weeks ago. Most of the team doesn't know about it. If they did they'd roll their eyes because there was a good reason the guy got canned...this rock stew thing being just one of MANY examples. Fortunately this fellow never implemented his off-the-reservation knuckle head notions. No one is concerned.

BUT THE STEW SCHEME SHIPS!!

Crap! Now what? Uh...yeah, we meant that...sure....part of the original design for SA. Great idea don't ya think? What's that? Oh, what does it eat after the....stew to store, stew to bond thing? Not on the lore sheet? Well...it's....nuclear-like...yeah, like nuclear powered subs except it needs this everlasting fuel twice in one week.

And we are actually attempting to discuss this like rational people.

Even within a world of delightful fantasy, this is pure bull. Somebody messed up. OBVIOUSLY.

It's a screw-up, people.

Discussing this any further is pointless. I mean....it says NONE on the lore sheet....not stew...not rock stew....not crystalline whatever mineral paste...certainly not lobster.

Dungeness crab perhaps? Has a kinda Abyss like sound to it.

Alas, this is not an endearing fighting pet. It doesn't even fight that well, lacks the spirit of a Hiryu, although the special effects - those clouds of poison - are kinda cool.

JUST....BRING...BACK...THE...DREAD. To hell with the stew.

Jonathan

P.S. Or how about a reeeeely large Frenzied Ostard? Now THAT would be nifty.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Before anyone writes off the bane dragon. It is a killer, with or without stew. In fact, I haven't quite decided yet, but it might be more dangerous in pvp without the stew because pets stop while they perform the "breath" action. One thing I do know is that even without the stew the bane dragon will kill faster than a dread warhorse.

The only real drawback to the bane dragon is the vulnerability to slayers. But that's all part of the chess match isn't it. :)

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is rather interesting, is I was training up my third bane. My first two I trained do the usual "your pet is feeling peckish today and is not at full power." However, this one has yet to do that...I mean three long days of magery training and another half day to finish it on an ele, and it STILL has not gotten the peckish thing. it's quite odd, considering it casts poison like a mofo.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I also want to remind people about what happened with the dread warhorses. When those were spawning you couldn't give them away at times. No one used them in pvp. I was one of the first, if not the first, on my shard to use them in pvp. The same thing is happening with bane dragons.

I think people just haven't figured out how good this souped up kampfwurst is yet... :)

J

Jonathan Baron

My goodness, either my sense of humor failed me or yours has. My post was 90 percent in jest.

I came here off my first training session with a Bane and I've been working with Reckoning, my Dread, for weeks. And not just the usual time-to-kill-the-Sphinx over and over thing (wait in line for that if you're doing this on Chessy...probably all populous shards). No...I've shared all manner of adventures with that stately steed....many of which didn't go so well. It's the not-go-so-well misadventures that really do it for you - make you bond with a pet rather than the other way 'round.

A snarling, toxic cloud blowing, shadowy reptile, whose skin's the image of Dickensian poverty is not going to be an instant fit. Once I know the pitch it hits, all will be well.

I attend to what you say, Llewen. You're making sense. I'm just goofing around.

Jonathan

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
My goodness, either my sense of humor failed me or yours has. My post was 90 percent in jest.

I attend to what you say, Llewen. You're making sense. I'm just goofing around.
"Making sense" is often the curse of those who take everything too seriously. But "more truth is spoken in jest", and the daggers always hide in that final 10%. Not that I'm accusing you of assault with a deadly opinion... :pancakes:

J

Jonathan Baron

Well, my little attempt at humor comes from 16 years making online games and that certain knowledge of how things mess up. If you could witness the long lists and endless meetings that go into the matter of, say, wooden containers in an MMO, you'd find it a miracle that these games get made at all, much less with the richness and complexity of a UO.

This was long before the days of 100 million dollar budgets for major game titles....titles that make ten times that within a week of release. Blizzard had built up ENORMOUS credibility as a mature organization before they began to consider WoW. UO was originally created in secret with a budget below EA notice.

I'd say that ranks UO rather high on the miracle list. Add to that the fact that 80-85% of games are canceled before they ship.

Blackrock stew....a missing entry in a Lore sheet....small stuff really for a game largely abandoned by its parents years ago.

The ambitious game developer hates to be on a live team. It's considered by many as developmental purgatory. Plus you have to LOVE your customers and few game developers do. These were the guys who got beat up a lot as kids in school and their love of the human race has been...well...tested. This also explains much of the violence in games.

Thus, as a UO player, I'd say we're lucky. Lots of really good people at Mythic - people who are not biding their time waiting for the shot at the west coast and the big time. Yet, it's easy to imagine a chuckhead here and there who conceives of a most mighty beast that runs on air.

Jonathan

L

Luke Carjacker

I also want to remind people about what happened with the dread warhorses. When those were spawning you couldn't give them away at times. No one used them in pvp. I was one of the first, if not the first, on my shard to use them in pvp. The same thing is happening with bane dragons.

I think people just haven't figured out how good this souped up kampfwurst is yet... :)
Yeah, I agree with this. To me the biggest difference is that banes are still spawning and pretty easy to farm once you clear out the hellhounds. By comparison, dreads no longer spawn and a lot of the ones that are around have average or poor stats. I'm quite confident that within an hour I can tame a bane better than 90% of the dreads out there (I've got 2 stables full of banes better than any dread I've personally witnessed).

Slayer vulnerability is a challenge, but if I can get someone to drop their pvp gear for a slayer, that's not necessarily a negative. Only thing I dislike about Banes is that riding them feels like cruising around on a semi-truck (I always disliked riding swampies), but I'm starting to get used to it. I'll definitely agree that Banes kill faster than dreads, and that ultimately more powerful banes will exist in game than dreads because of current availability.

J

Jonathan Baron

Respectfully disagree. My test is unscientific though. I take both my Bane and my Dread to train against the Sphinx....separately of course :) The Dread takes the Sphinx it out in one half to one third the time, requiring less than half the bandages. I could have a weaker than average Bane or a stronger than average Dread of course.

Plus it's simply easier to feel a bond with a horse than with a reptile ;)

Jonathan

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Respectfully disagree. My test is unscientific though. I take both my Bane and my Dread to train against the Sphinx....separately of course :) The Dread takes the Sphinx it out in one half to one third the time, requiring less than half the bandages. I could have a weaker than average Bane or a stronger than average Dread of course.
Well, training is the single most important thing in determining how "successful" your pet will be, so if you dread warhorse is well trained, while your bane dragon is not, they are fairly close in capabilities so the dread should kill faster.

J

Jonathan Baron

Agreed. That's why I said unscientific. As unscientific as the generalization that the Dread pool is polluted.

This may be true though in the case of vanity pets....my....vanity pets. I don't even try to make them killing machines. Feels wrong, somehow, to tell a Ki-Rin to All Kill something. Their day as front line warriors has passed. Now they're simply a beautiful creature to behold.

And you caught me, Llewen....the chain of custody of my Dread passed through better tamers than I ;)

Jonathan

S

Sinister703

You can feed them tasty treats. I confirmed it today. I will let you know in a week whether or not it bonds them.

J

Jonathan Baron

I've read that also. My problem is what, exactly, is a tasty treat? I laugh at the notion, of course, no you, Sinister. I picture feeding sal****er taffy or gummy bears to a Bane Dragon and getting the "Your pet is happier," message. :)

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I picture feeding sal****er taffy or gummy bears to a Bane Dragon and getting the "Your pet is happier," message. :)
Well, they look a lot like slices of crispy bacon... :)

You can also get them from looting treasure chests now.

J

Jonathan Baron

That's funny because, moments after I posted, I found a strange looking thing called, yes, a Tasty Treat, at a Luna vendor going for an absurd sum that screamed quest or champion spawn phat loot. The naming and conception of this item certainly must have happened on a Monday.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I just thought I'd post what I've learnt about bane dragons. If you don't feed them stew they will get to the place where their breath won't poison at all. Not feeding them doesn't seem to decrease the frequency of them using their breath weapon, nor the base amount of damage it does, it only decreases the level of the poison inflicted.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I just thought I'd post what I've learnt about bane dragons. If you don't feed them stew they will get to the place where their breath won't poison at all. Not feeding them doesn't seem to decrease the frequency of them using their breath weapon, nor the base amount of damage it does, it only decreases the level of the poison inflicted.
exactly all stats and everything will remain as they were the power up only seems to effect the poison !!

J

Jonathan Baron

Do you mean the usual twice during bonding, Llewen, or feeding them that stew afterward as well. If the latter, then they become like Boxster Porches after the extended warranty expires. They cost more than they're worth after that.

Jonathan

M

Misty Lee

That's funny because, moments after I posted, I found a strange looking thing called, yes, a Tasty Treat, at a Luna vendor going for an absurd sum that screamed quest or champion spawn phat loot. The naming and conception of this item certainly must have happened on a Monday.
Forgive me for my lack of forum know-how as I do believe this is my first post. I just bonded my bane today with a tasty treat. however he's feeling a bit "peckish" and won't do all his awesome attacks. I'm assuming this is where the stew comes into play. I didn't get that into the event so I didn't pay much attention to it. I rarely pay attention to those things cuz I've got nasty ADD. I don't even know HOW to make black rock stew so I will have to shell out a zillion dollars an once I do all I know is that following commands makes him insta-happy. Wish I knew how to make the stew I could make a killing! :D

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I don't even know HOW to make black rock stew so I will have to shell out a zillion dollars an once I do all I know is that following commands makes him insta-happy. Wish I knew how to make the stew I could make a killing! :D
Well here's the scoop. All the blackrock stew does is restore the poison strength of their breath attack. It might also restore the poison strength of their spell attacks as well, I'm not sure about that. But neither are that big a deal since the poison attack of bane dragons was nerfed, and they are plenty nasty enough without feeding them stew at 500,000 gp a pop, or whatever the going rate is now.

So in this tamer's humble opinion, the blackrock stew isn't worth the cost.

J

Jonathan Baron

Yes, it's a messed up situation when they give you a combat animal - it certainly doesn't get by on its looks - yet diminish its full potential through some nonsense regarding food...or lack of it for far more gold than you can earn with the beast.

This may be why the Bane became one of those must-have popular fighting beasts that now sits idle in most stables. That "peckish" message is infuriating. Yes, it gets all excited and marvelously happy when you feed it one of those Dragon energy bars (the insipidly named Tasty Treat) but that's largely a strength potion. It allegedly gives the dragon twenty minutes of 5% more power with what they call a five minute cool down period. Yeah, as if fighting were like going to the gym or playing sports.

If that early Monday/late Friday conjured up name and thing didn't only come from treasure chests and, perhaps, drops (though I doubt anyone would be "Wonderfully Happy" finding something called a Tasty Treat drop into their backpack), were simply an inexpensive NPC provisioner or player cook item, okay. Nope, it goes for a very high price. Given its source, it should.

My guess is that 99% of them are among the junk items left behind when you rummage through the culmination of that fool's errand commonly called the Treasure Hunt. Unless you have this knowledge of their use (and who, except a few, does), own a Bane, and think it's worth the time while you're digging through looking for those one or two things truly worth the effort, it's left to sit and rot....much like the Bane Dragon....well...with UO animals they go into stasis.

Yes, I find the matter annoying. What should have been an interesting and useful creature is now rarely seen where I go (Chesapeake and Lake Austin) even in those vanity parking lots people call Luna Bank.

The Dread is better but unavailable new. Stats be damned, the Blaze Cu is going for five hundred dollars on the gray market. Any good Cu of any color a more useful and versatile choice, plus it has the advantage of not being a reptile and the chronic stupidly and fickleness that can accompany nearly all of them, save the often over-matched, been keenly intelligent, Hiryu. If only they didn't cut their stats by nearly two thirds when tamed (I've lored some at nearly 1500 hit points) the Bane would go the way of the Ki-Rin or the Fire Steed.

Magnificent vision too. Sometimes if feels a if merely a leaf or twig blocks the view of some reptile pets. All a Hiryu needs a bare glimpse of the enemy to attack, plus they possess a splendidly animated physique.....not this twitching stick nonsense you have with Banes and Swampy Dragons.

But I digress. If not for the the unimaginatively named Greater Dragon, the pet situation would be far more interesting, tasty treats or a stew full of rocks notwithstanding. After all, is there a any more absurd sight in the game than a player walking around with a GD in tow like a construction worker leading around a bulldozer on foot. I laugh whenever I see it. I feel silly whenever I do it.

Jonathan

S

Sinister703

Ha Ha, Jonathan!

I don't you'll be accused of not having an opinion!

I rather like the bane and have never fed it blackrock.

It has great hp, mana, skills, and is rideable. Overall, I still like the nightmare more. I don't own a dread, though I think it looks vastly better than the bane (the wings really get in the way when trying to loot.)

Overall, I like it a bit more than the CU, I think.

In the EC (enhanced client), it looks pretty neat. The fact that there are two graphics for a lot of things (EC, old client) irks me though :)

I jsut wish they'd bring back the opportunity to hunt dreads again. Bane Dragon hunting does get rather boring when farming for a good one.

J

Jonathan Baron

:)

Y'know it wouldn't have bothered me all that much because, as you said, the Bane does just fine, peckish or no. It was when I was silly enough to spend the gold to get that stick of stuff called a Tasty Treat and give it to my Bane and witness, for the first time, a pronounced expression of something other than either rage or indifference from it that...well...we get used to that in our pets and I had missed that in the Bane.

Friends say I take UO pets too seriously though.

They're right.

Prior to this T-Chests are better...no, really release you could get a quest from the alchemist at Ter Mir to get the things. Yeah, it involved killing a bunch of Bouras along with the usual scavenger hunt stuff, but you got your treats without paying Atlantic prices. Hell, saying hello costs money on Atlantic but I digress.

My same friends and guildmates who note my....well...excessive attachment to my pets suggested an alternative. Go to war. Get more of that stew full of rocks. Don't pay money. Okay...not sure if my Bane should get accustomed to stew o' rocks (imagine the dental bill) but I was game.

Yeah....until I was told to go to a village and act like some character from the movie, Platoon. The Meers don't want to fight you but you kill them to get crystals to go to an appropriately named race of folks (the Bane) and get a bowl of food that even an Englishman wouldn't eat...not that they'd have to worry about their teeth.

Thus, I'm going to stick with "peckish" for now. Plus I love that Karate Kid thing the Bane does when you dismount.

Jonathan

T

Talula

I've tamed several 3.5 or better and I'm really enjoying hunting with them. I just wish they'd reduce the amount of "peckish" spam that you get when hunting with a bane.

Y

Yukimas

So, when the bane dragon is feeling "peckish" do you only have to feed it once to permanently bring its poison breathing back or is it a monotonous task, where you have to feed it again and again to restore its poison attack?

And tastey treats do work, it is confirmed, why waste the time and trouble to get or create blackrock stew when all you need to do for tastey treats is kill a few slugs and inspect some ingots. The quest literally only may take 30 minutes maximum.