• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bake Kitsune, whats the point?

S

sinalong

Hi all, I have tamed and trained just about every pet that walks or crawls at some point but never a kit, and so my question is why should I add them to my stable?

C

Conrad99

I use mine for a second animal when fighting with my Dread. Together they make a great combo.

I feel, IMO, that it is a strong of a combo as a mare/rune.

I have tested the combo on similar monsters and both combos kill in about the same time. Depeneding on what I am fighter, sometime quicker.

The difference is that combined the bake/dread has higher HP than the mare/rune combo.

I know runes have better stamina & the corupt armour but the mana pool on bakes/dread seem higher.

Just fun to fight with different pets. I use to take two bakes out and ride my ethy. They are fun to fight with.

Plus the laugh after they kill things.

S

Sarphus

The reason why you should tame a bake is that bakes are the all-around strongest 2 slotter in the game. Of course, there is a HUGE range in their relevant stats, so you could easily end up with a bake that's junk.

Bakes cap out at 60/90/60/60/60 resists, which allows you to use them as a tank in a pinch. Actually, there are a few situations I have my bake tank for my rune beetle or dread warhorse.

bakes also can spawn with enough dex to be buffed into almost max possible swing speed. They do substantial melee and spell damage.

The most important thing to consider when planning to run a bake is that it will take a while to farm one with substantial resists/stats. I farmed them for a month to pick my best bake, but the time was well worth it because that bake can handle high end content.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all, I have tamed and trained just about every pet that walks or crawls at some point but never a kit, and so my question is why should I add them to my stable?
They are quite possibly redundant if you have Hiryu's and above.

I have had a Bake kill a Wild Nightmare with ease.

A pair of Bakes kill Dragons and White Wyrms with ease.

Or in short, they are excellent killers (perhaps the best) for the Control Slots taken vs the To Tame Require Skill Level(81.6?)

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I definitely wouldn't say that they're redundant. They can take more punishment and deal more damage than a nightmare. They hit hard and cast spells. As a secondary pet to a dread horse or a rune beetle, I don't believe there's anything better.

And if you're hunting with groups of tamers, try this. Tamer #1 has a greater dragon. Tamer #2 has a beetle/bake combination. The dragon tanks while the beetle/bake deals out huge damage over time. That's what a few of us do for peerless, and it works like a charm.

And when gold farming, I always take my bakes along for the quick kills. Sure, it requires more healing than my dragon, but the gold-over-time ratio is much better.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They're capable of taking down a greater dragon once trained up a bit, though my pair aren't uber, just good-ish IMO. They regularly eat oni with ease, sphinx as well. Also you're looking at a low skill investment for full control.

We hear a lot about greater drags in PvP, but kitsune are also a great pet for this.

And they're a 2-slotter, so you can mix with other pets or pair up 2 kits as appropriate.

But my personal favourite reason for having them is they're cute, aggressive and "giggle". My fisher loves her pair, in fact once my main tamer sorts her stables out, I'll have kits on all 6 tamers I run lol.

Wenchy

S

sinalong

ok iam almost sold, from the replys it would seem u would only need one in your stables ?

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like taking out my two and being able to ride sometimes. They are great fighters with their hits and resists and that rage to keep them on something.

I love my little foxes.

C

Conrad99

ok iam almost sold, from the replys it would seem u would only need one in your stables ?

I use to use two but since I have split the pair. I transfered one to my other tamer. I like the combo of the dread/bake.

So at points I am cabable of using that pair on both tamers.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now that gdrags have gotten folks used to walking, I find a rune/bake or bake/dread combo to be deadly. Anymore, my nightmare rarely comes out. If you get a GOOD pair of them, they are incredible. As someone mentioned, they are the best two slotter in the game hands down.

5% Luck

Since the Greaters have been in Ive become quite used to being on foot. As to the OP I would have to say in PvP the bettle bake is the most effective combo. I was at the yew gate on an assassin mission. A blue that was a guild ganker killed me afk at luna quit befor he got his comuffins. Anyhow He saw me and knew what was going to happen so he was standing in the guard zone. I was a lttle frustrated at this and used my bettle bake combo anyhow. He died before he could even hit his macro which he appearntly had his finger on.

With the new pet ball changes its become a lot more dificult to use 2 pets at once in pvp but when it works its crazy effective.

The mare is a nice way to be mounted but to use it youll be on foot anyhow.

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ooo. I'd love to add that little fox to my collection, Sarphus. Well, I have to many of the things already though. Seven between all my tamers and necro.

Small differences in resists do make a difference. Get those resists as high as you can. Kitsune are awesome tanks.

These are my two favorite. Inari is always the tank. He lives longer if something happens to me.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am just gonna throw this some what off topic pet in here.

People should not overlook the value of a Pack of Frenzied Ostards on the high end of that family and a Pack of Forest/Desert Ostards(29.5? To Tame and no lore) on the low end of that family.

That Pack Instinct can make a huge difference.

S

Sarphus

I am just gonna throw this some what off topic pet in here.

People should not overlook the value of a Pack of Frenzied Ostards on the high end of that family and a Pack of Forest/Desert Ostards(29.5? To Tame and no lore) on the low end of that family.

That Pack Instinct can make a huge difference.
pack instinct is certainly powerful. One of the reasons I have 6 tamers is so I can have enough stable space to store all the pets I want. I have a pack of hell hounds (80% fire dmg & hard hititng), frenzied ostards (mountable 100% phys dmg & hard hitting), fire steeds (can summon imp to get max pack bonus. More survivable than 1 slot packs, but less dmg) and so on

Part of my overall strategy with tamers is to be able to try everything out and choose whatever is most effective at a given time for my main tamers and store my "has been" pets on other tamers :)

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of my main tamers is set up as a pack tamer. I have Disco and Peace on her and run frenzieds half the time. I moved my pack of hellkittens to my new tamer (I cant get rid of them. they are to cute) and she does very well with either them or her kitsune. Still havent fully decided what I'm making her yet.

I rather like the smaller pets. If they ever give us a base of 5 stable slots for every char, I'm going to train up three more pack horses for my miner/lumberjack. Heck if they had pack instinct I'd run them instead of frenzied.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, I just finished off a pack of ozzies, and they are very, very nice. They make a real nice change of pace pet for me to use.

S

sinalong

pack instinct is certainly powerful. One of the reasons I have 6 tamers is so I can have enough stable space to store all the pets I want. I have a pack of hell hounds (80% fire dmg & hard hititng), frenzied ostards (mountable 100% phys dmg & hard hitting), fire steeds (can summon imp to get max pack bonus. More survivable than 1 slot packs, but less dmg) and so on

Part of my overall strategy with tamers is to be able to try everything out and choose whatever is most effective at a given time for my main tamers and store my "has been" pets on other tamers :)
Just to throw the post off even more I have just relized that my mare does not have a pack bonus any more( did they not have demon or something) must of came in with the new mare (man iam out of the loop). Anyways think I may well get a bake if I can find a good one and c how its does. But everything else besides I think they look pants :)

S

Sarphus

Just to throw the post off even more I have just relized that my mare does not have a pack bonus any more( did they not have demon or something) must of came in with the new mare (man iam out of the loop). Anyways think I may well get a bake if I can find a good one and c how its does. But everything else besides I think they look pants :)

Actually, mares never had PI. You're probably thinking of fire steeds which have PI "equine" and "demon".

S

Sarphus

Yep, I just finished off a pack of ozzies, and they are very, very nice. They make a real nice change of pace pet for me to use.
Yeah :)

I spent a month farming ossies too. I built a pack where every ossie in the pack has 162+ str and high 90's+ HP. The reason I wanted 162+ str is that you have the highest dmg potential at that str level or beyond. Also, you can bless them with 120 eval to hit an even higher damage threshold.

Generally speaking, if i discord a rune beetle there is about a 1/5 chance that I'll 1 hit kill it with this pack. They're really fun :)

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
anyone tried a necro tamer with a hell hound pack or fire steeds ?

S

sinalong

ok Iam sold I will spend a week or 2 finding a nice one and train it up

S

Sarphus

anyone tried a necro tamer with a hell hound pack or fire steeds ?
A little. It was kinda funny in pvp, cause strangle + all kill can be a really fast kill. Well strangle + corpse skin + all kill. Using hellhounds on a necro/tamer has all the vulnerabilities that pack tamer mages have without the ability to range heal. it's good for quick kills, but difficult vs anyone who knows how to fight a pack.

I also have a necro/mage/tamer, which I think has more viability in basically any area he can leech mana. Necro/mage/tamer is more of a pvm char.

U

uoBuoY

ok Iam sold I will spend a week or 2 finding a nice one and train it up
Good luck to you! I spent about 60 hrs spread over 6 weeks to get a good pair of Kits. It's very difficult to find a good one let alone two.

IMO they're difficult/complicated to tame without Peace. During the time you lore them to see if they're good enough to keep, they morph into NPCs and can't be tamed. I would run up to a Kit with a peace already loaded, lore it then kill or tame. Sometimes the Kit would morph before I could get the peace off. They will also morph during taming. The taming continues ok but you can't lore a morphed Kit, tamed or not. You must wait for it to unmorph before loring.

The good part is by the time you have two good Kits, you'll also have about 30k in leather and well over a mil in gold.

The best part is when see what a Rune/Kit combo can do! A Kit/Kit combo is also pretty impressive especially since your char sits on an Ethy!

S

sinalong

Good luck to you! I spent about 60 hrs spread over 6 weeks to get a good pair of Kits. It's very difficult to find a good one let alone two.

IMO they're difficult/complicated to tame without Peace. During the time you lore them to see if they're good enough to keep, they morph into NPCs and can't be tamed. I would run up to a Kit with a peace already loaded, lore it then kill or tame. Sometimes the Kit would morph before I could get the peace off. They will also morph during taming. The taming continues ok but you can't lore a morphed Kit, tamed or not. You must wait for it to unmorph before loring.

The good part is by the time you have two good Kits, you'll also have about 30k in leather and well over a mil in gold.

The best part is when see what a Rune/Kit combo can do! A Kit/Kit combo is also pretty impressive especially since your char sits on an Ethy!
Dam thats a lot of time. I have peace so I will give it a go I might get lucky. Do u look for the normal stuff on kits ie resists and then hp?

U

uoBuoY

Dam thats a lot of time. I have peace so I will give it a go I might get lucky. Do u look for the normal stuff on kits ie resists and then hp?
I use Stratics Hunter's Guide http://uo.stratics.com/hunters/index.shtml
I write down all the maximmum stats and resists (and skills for creatures who exceed 100). Then I calculate 90% of all the numbers and write that down. I tame and keep the first 2 that are wiithin 90% on all scores. Then I keep looking for something better and replacing them. This way when you get fed-up with taming Kits, at least you have your best 2 tames.

My bestest Kit scores 96-100% on all stats and resists.

Good Luck

S

Sarphus

IMO they're difficult/complicated to tame without Peace. During the time you lore them to see if they're good enough to keep, they morph into NPCs and can't be tamed.
Actually, you can and should tame them in human form (unless you have peace... then it doesn't matter)

The best tactic to tame bakes without peace is to tame a gaman and sick it on the bake. Keep doing that until the bake morphs into a human. Bakes don't cast spells when in human form, so they're really easy to lead tame in human form.

EDIT
Oh, btw you can't lore them once they're in human form, so you want to always get a lore off before they morph

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use my stealth tamer for taming pets usually. I can sneak around and lore everything and when I find something good, I can embrace honor and start taming it (beetles and greater dragons) or just start taming (foxes if not to much else around) and keep invising myself.

S

Sarphus

I use my stealth tamer for taming pets usually. I can sneak around and lore everything and when I find something good, I can embrace honor and start taming it (beetles and greater dragons) or just start taming (foxes if not to much else around) and keep invising myself.
I do that with my stealth/ninja/shepherd. If I find something I want I just herd it to a safe taming spot and switch to my tamer.

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My Top Three Answers for Making Stable Space for Bake Kitsunes:-

1. Decent stat/resist kits are highly effective;

2. They are just plain fun to hunt with; and

3. They have twiggly legs and a deranged giggle.

S

Sarphus

My Top Three Answers for Making Stable Space for Bake Kitsunes:-

1. Decent stat/resist kits are highly effective;

2. They are just plain fun to hunt with; and

3. They have twiggly legs and a deranged giggle.
Funny you mention the sound they make. My dog irl is a Shiba Inu. It's a japanese dog that looks kinda like a fox. They make sounds similar to Uo's bakes :)

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, you can and should tame them in human form (unless you have peace... then it doesn't matter)

The best tactic to tame bakes without peace is to tame a gaman and sick it on the bake. Keep doing that until the bake morphs into a human. Bakes don't cast spells when in human form, so they're really easy to lead tame in human form.

EDIT
Oh, btw you can't lore them once they're in human form, so you want to always get a lore off before they morph
I use a different tactic to tame my foxes.

I still use the gaman. I still tell the gaman to kill the bake.

But then I tell the gaman to stop, and heal the gaman with bandages while I tame my newest pet. Since they don't get aggressive on failed tame attempts, I can tame and fail with no issues. No beat down, no waiting for form changes... just "all kill, all stop, all follow me" then tame it.

S

Sarphus

I use a different tactic to tame my foxes.

I still use the gaman. I still tell the gaman to kill the bake.

But then I tell the gaman to stop, and heal the gaman with bandages while I tame my newest pet. Since they don't get aggressive on failed tame attempts, I can tame and fail with no issues. No beat down, no waiting for form changes... just "all kill, all stop, all follow me" then tame it.
I haven't tamed a bake since the pet command AI changes, but that is certainly a more efficient way.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
ooo. I'd love to add that little fox to my collection, Sarphus. Well, I have to many of the things already though. Seven between all my tamers and necro.

Small differences in resists do make a difference. Get those resists as high as you can. Kitsune are awesome tanks.

These are my two favorite. Inari is always the tank. He lives longer if something happens to me.

I still think it's funny that Inari was tamed by my Necro who couldn't lore them....Then when I asked you all I got was "GIVE ME THAT KIT NOW!!"

S

Sarphus

OH MY lol

I thought for sure a bake like that was the resuilt of obsessive farming. It's fantastic :)

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
OH MY lol

I thought for sure a bake like that was the resuilt of obsessive farming. It's fantastic :)
Regardless of how skilled one is at something, there's always something to say for pure dumb luck.

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, that fox is the result of me spiking the waters in the kitsune woods with canine growth hormone. :D

Yeah, I freaked when I saw it. And he was just going to take it out and use it on his necro! But he did want it checked, JIC cause you never know what luck will bring. I'm still shocked that he actually let me have it.

It's pampered in my stable though. Fed sushi and filet minion whenever it wants it. Exercised on Emma's..err...I mean ninjas.

S

sinalong

I am still not sure that as a single pet a kit can take the place of a mare. With the dread mare would u choose a kit partner above a mare?. take into account u can mount either mare. I wont judge yet as I have not trained or hunted with a kit, but in all my years of play I think the times i have seen a kit in action is very rare which must tell u something. I dont want 2 add a pet 2 my stables for the sake of it. I already have that with my wolf(legened on it) and my 2 fire steeds. Think this is still up for debate.

U

uoBuoY

I am still not sure that as a single pet a kit can take the place of a mare. With the dread mare would u choose a kit partner above a mare?. take into account u can mount either mare. I wont judge yet as I have not trained or hunted with a kit, but in all my years of play I think the times i have seen a kit in action is very rare which must tell u something. I dont want 2 add a pet 2 my stables for the sake of it. I already have that with my wolf(legened on it) and my 2 fire steeds. Think this is still up for debate.
Judge for yourself:

Mare/Kit (maximums)
315/350 hits
525/220 str
125/145 dex
125/425 int
65/60 phy
40/90 fire
40/60 cold
40/60 poison
30/60 energy

Mare has awesome Str, poor Int and lousy resists.
Kit has poor Str, awesome Int and awesome resists.
In my opinion Kits are better tanks and provide more damage faster.

I think one reason you don't see Kits often is that it is just very difficult to find a good one.

A

Amgedpha

I still think it's funny that Inari was tamed by my Necro who couldn't lore them....Then when I asked you all I got was "GIVE ME THAT KIT NOW!!"
Wow! Now that is luck!

So, what did you do to please the RNG god? =D

L

laurlo

I tamed my bake after he killed my mate when he was getting a bit too cocky in regards to taming. I named him Memento.

S

Seti Azrael

I tamed my bake after he killed my mate when he was getting a bit too cocky in regards to taming. I named him Memento.

...and I despise that Kitsune to this very day, everytime you break him out and laugh about it. *grins*

S

sinalong

jesus, its not easy finding a even half decent kit. sure no one has a top end one for sale? pay 10 mil

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
jesus, its not easy finding a even half decent kit. sure no one has a top end one for sale? pay 10 mil
It's not easy, but not THAT hard... it took me maybe 4 hours total over a week's time to find one that rated 3.8/5 on the pet calc, which is very good. Not A+, but good enough for me to stop looking for a while and train him up :)

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just find a little corner, and take my tank fox to kill the wild ones. I vet him and lore all the ones that spawn. Should get a decent one within an hour. And get all that gold.

I've used my cu sidhe for that too. Just have to recall out when you see a good one, then come back to tame. If you're good with invis, they are really easy to tame since they aren't angerable.

U

uoBuoY

I'd guess it took me about 60 hours to find 2 good Kits: 4.0 and 4.1 (on the Pet Power Calc).

S

Sarphus

Good luck buying a near max resist bake for 10 mil.

Most tamers who have em can make 10 mil in a lot less time than it took to tame that bake. I have a few high end bakes, but I wouldn't actually sell them, because of all the time it took me to get them. Well that and the fact that I value pets more than gold.

10 mil is still a good price to pay... I just don't think you'll find someone willing to go farm one with the intent to sell it to you.

The way you get a decent bake for cheap is you find someone that's farming bakes and buy one of their castoffs. It will never be as good as the one they kept, but it will still be good :)