• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bake Kitsune, whats the point?

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've finally, about a year after making her, gotten around to training my tamer. I'm having great fun with her and last week managed to tame a pair of bake (or baked kittens, as my 11yr old calls em). I've been running 4 frenzieds and using them to train vet as well as each other, fighting them against each other alternately. Tried this with the foxes last night and all was going well - their resists were rising, hp, etc etc. And my vet gains were great. 5 mins after I stopped them, their stats had dropped again :( Does anyone know why and how I can stop it happening? One had 303 hp when we started, 318 when we stopped, then it dropped again. The other was 333, went to 349 and has dropped again. Any advice gratefully received :)

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They're casting bless on themselves by the sounds of it. Stats below 125 can gain to 125, but those which are over 125 when you tame the critter won't raise through training. Skills will raise though, so you should see them rise as you train :)

There's a useful guide here with good info about training pets. It's a little out of date, but I think it explains things nicely.

Wenchy

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah, I see. Sneaky little beggars! I was getting all worried and thinking I was doing something wrong. Ty for link, it's going to be very useful! I've learned a fair bit about most skills since I joined and esp since I started the guild, but taming is the one I haven't cracked yet - probably because I'd never trained one before :)

S

sinalong

I dont have any problem in the spawn area etc. Can quite happly lore and kill etc. Just spent 10 or so hours and all i seen are rubbish. Compared to finding a nice ww or mare seems very hard and I just dont have the time or if truth told the inclination to spend 30+ hours looking :)

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, the little foxes spawn with a much greater range of stats and resists than either the mare or white wyrm. That is why it takes so long to find a good one. I've gotten a lot of pretty good ones I've given away simply because they were not better than any of the 6 I normally use on my tamers or necro.

I stealth around and look at the foxes in the woods several times a week, though. Only takes a few minutes, then I can go do something else.

S

Sarphus

Yeah, it takes a long time to look up all the stats. I actually wrote a KR mod just to speed up my pet farming, because my hands were starting to hurt from clicking through animal lore pages.

The mod I wrote arranges all the dynamic stats on the first page of the gump (making that page bigger) and hilights those stats if they are over thresholds that I set. I hard coded the thresholds, which is kinda kludgey, but it works great.

This mod took my eval time down to where it's almost instant. I lore it and look for shinyness in each stat... If I don't see it I move on. In the past I just carried around pets with an all kill last target macro. If the pet didn't make the grade I hit that button. So basically, eval with one button and hit other button if it fails. Very quick and easy

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now that mod sounds very useful. It would help more easily determine if it's a keeper. I like.

S

Sarphus

Now that mod sounds very useful. It would help more easily determine if it's a keeper. I like.
I uploaded it to modders exchange so people could use it.
http://modders-exchange.illandril.net/

I tried to comment things so people kinda understand how to use it. Unfortunately, the way animal lore data comes down from the server is kinda a mess to work with. I recommend just focusing on setting your thresholds and leave it at that.

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After a few weeks of nada on my jaunts through the Kitsune Woods, I found two very nice foxes tonight. The first one rated a nice 4 stars. I tamed and stabled that, as it's better than what my newest tamer has. I went back to finish looking and found a wonderful, 4.4 star, fox. I'll be keeping that one on my stealth tamer and training it up to replace the weaker of her foxes, which can go to the younger tamer.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Will the resists raise as you train them, or will they just stay the same?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Resists can't be trained. That's why some of us obsess about finding the right ones ;)

Wenchy

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seems a bit daft, you can train pretty much everything else, but hey ho, ours is not to reason why, etc etc etc

I'm having great fun with my little foxes, and they're good little fighters so long as you keep em healed :)

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting fact about the foxes:

They are good tanks against the crimson dragon as long as your healing skills are decent (real skill, not number skill). 90 fire resist and 60 physical resist is required for good CD tanking. The dragon's breath weapons and special attacks are all fire based, so they can keep fighting while everyone runs off to heal after an area attack.

Lord Kotan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
for such a little guy, they do have fairly good resist. And they also through a lot of interupt.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I uploaded it to modders exchange so people could use it.
http://modders-exchange.illandril.net/

I tried to comment things so people kinda understand how to use it. Unfortunately, the way animal lore data comes down from the server is kinda a mess to work with. I recommend just focusing on setting your thresholds and leave it at that.
I don't see that mod in the packages section. What's it under?

S

Sarphus

I don't see that mod in the packages section. What's it under?
Hit the link for "Browse Source" at the nav bar at the top of the page

Open the trunk folder

Get the mod from the folder called "Animal_Lore"

S

sinalong

jesus 20 hours on and the best cat i have got does not even rate 4, am i just unlucky.

hp 334
dex 142
str 220
int 411

55/90/43/60/58

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well you're battling with the RNG on the critter stats, so yeah, you need to get lucky. Or just accept the pets you have and do it on a casual basis.

And btw, they're not cats :D You're not going to coax a good fox out the woods calling "here kitty, kitty!" *winks*

Wenchy

S

sinalong

Well you're battling with the RNG on the critter stats, so yeah, you need to get lucky. Or just accept the pets you have and do it on a casual basis.

And btw, they're not cats :D You're not going to coax a good fox out the woods calling "here kitty, kitty!" *winks*

Wenchy
ha thats where i was going wrong here foxy, foxy, foxy :)

U

uoBuoY

jesus 20 hours on and the best cat i have got does not even rate 4, am i just unlucky.

hp 334
dex 142
str 220
int 411

55/90/43/60/58
That would be my bare minimum for a keeper Bak. It scored 3.8 out of 5.0 on the Pet Power Calculator. The cold resist is what killed it!

Keep hunting!

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just spent the best part of two days solid fighting the invasion with either two foxes or a bug/fox combo. Omg. They won't turn down anything you throw them at, so long as I survive to heal them. They're like little duracells - they just keep on going and going and going. They've done good with the CD, biggest problem there being me dying and not being able to heal them. Even had them thumping Balrons in Blood last night. As long as it's not a para, no bother - we got other halfs greater in to tank those!

I've seen a fair few folks who've been amazed at what the little critters can do. I'm waiting for mare to rebond (don't ask me how I managed to let her go, I don't know!) and for 3 cu to bond as well. But my little foxes are, I think, going to be my favoured pets. And the giggle - makes me smile everytime they get going!

I don't know if they're good 'uns or not. I suspect they're mid range. But if anyone wants to come lore them and give me an opinion, let me know :)

P

Phaheela

Whats the area like where these spawn ? Is taming do-able on your own with the area spawn ?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They spawn in a very broad area, but I always use the plain closest to the moongate (and the Tsuki wolves) to tame the bake kitsune. There it's easy to pull one out of the crowd and you can use a big plain for lead taming.

Another strategy I use (I call it distraction taming) is to first tame a gaman and get the bake to attack the gaman. I then tell the gaman to stop and keep it healed while I tame the bake. Then even if something else wanders into your area and starts attacking the gaman, you are still safe. I also sometimes use a trained bake for the bait, so it can dispatch anything you aren't currently taming.

U

uoBuoY

Whats the area like where these spawn ? Is taming do-able on your own with the area spawn ?
I think the Kitsuni Wood is one of the easiest/safest places for taming this awesome pet. A perfect walk-in-the-park especially if you have Peace.

By the looks of this thread, we have a lot of Kit-lovers! Especially since it takes soooooo long to find a keeper! At least you get a bit of good and a nice amount of leather.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Phaheela, the area is safe if you just watch for kits hiding under the trees or worse, those who polymorph into the shape of a healer.

If I'm right thinking you're on Europa, feel free to give me a shout if you need help herding a kit somewhere quiet, or you just need a bit of healing support :)

Then we'll have another kitsune club member among us :D

*glares at uoBuoY for suggesting skinning a kitsune* That's just mean! Hehehe.

W

Warrior of Time

I use a pair of the little foxs while t hunting. They really work well on the 4 level down. At leverl 5 they have trouble with the first 4 that pop up. That's when I set them on the side aways and drag the things to them. They have good poison resist. I can use a mount too. With a pair you only heal the one, they both do damage.

Easy to put 115, vet, tame, and lore into a t hunter too. (level 6 I use the Greater Dragon)

R

RichDC

BAKES ROCK!!!BAKES ROCK!!!
BAKES ROCK!!! BAKES ROCK!!!
BAKES ROCK!!!BAKES ROCK!!!

Simple as this...

they have Much better stats than a nightmare and much better resistances
there is almost no pet that has 425 mana to dump in seconds (and they will!)
when used with a rune beetle you will find no combo(remember combined mana there of almost 900!!!) that can kill something as quickly(even para balrons!!!) a bake whith vet will take down an untamed gd solo (find me a mare to do that!)

plus if you want to use them in pvp they have a rage attack which is awesome for disrupting spells(does minimal damage i believe 2-5 very quickly over a period of about 20-30s!)

R

RichDC

I think the Kitsuni Wood is one of the easiest/safest places for taming this awesome pet. A perfect walk-in-the-park especially if you have Peace.

By the looks of this thread, we have a lot of Kit-lovers! Especially since it takes soooooo long to find a keeper! At least you get a bit of good and a nice amount of leather.
These things are easy as pie to tame (can even use a necro with dark wolf summon!) if you use the caves just to the north of the kitsune woods you will be able to pull one or 2 in and invis lore then invis tame(just make sure you have protection cast if they rage you run for the hills if you dont!!you wont be able to cast and they will dump almost all of there 400+mana!), at gm/gm you should tame almost all first hit.

W

Warrior of Time

One of the smartest things the dev. did was put a pet in you need so little skill in tame. The best way I know to get to 120 vet. is to get a fresh one. Even one you would have killed to Dispise. Get an OL and try and keep it alive. Takes a lot of bandages. Lets face it, that is what you need to get to 120 vet. Not only that you gain in lore. It was one that you would kill anyway. Then grabe another. If it is worth having just keep it and get another for gains.

Once trained up they will kill an OL. Just not the fastest way. Two works nicely because they can go two ways and kill 2 at a time on the first 4 that come up. There is a lot of ways they are needed and used. It is a good way for a new tamer to gain skill, and learn how to use a pet on the better monsters.

Usefulness needs to stay like it is now. Many people don't know the value of a good one. They will after reading this thread though. Not so long ago you almost never seen one. You do now. Best learning tool you will find for a tamer.

Be my luck they will nurf them. They do anything else worth keeping as is in the game.

Q

Queen Amy

Am I understanding correctly that a necro with no taming or lore can use a pair of bakes? Can tame them, even?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes. You need to use a dark wolf familiar then you can tame them, but not bond them. For that you need taming skill.