• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Atlantic Community Center Proposal, Please Read and Comment.

Bennu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Posted at the request of several members of the Atlantic community, with a few minor changes to the introduction.

Greetings!

Many of you have seen Mesanna’s Blank Check Thread. The following is a proposal based on the discussion and general consensus reached in that thread. We would like those interested in this project to have one more opportunity to give constructive feedback before this proposal submitted to Mesanna. If you have proposed changes, feedback, comment or otherwise, please post in this thread by September 17, 2010. After that date a revised document with the proposed changes agreed on by the community here will be incorporated into this document and the entire proposal will be sent to Mesanna.

Please keep all comments constructive, any criticism should be backed up by your own ideas in making the project successful.

Please keep all discussion and suggestions on topic and focused on this project and the various needs of the community.

Please keep in mind that this project is in no way related to the "Atlantic Mage Tower" discussion, please keep that discussion out of this thread.

This thread is open to EVERYONE on the Atlantic Server, if you have a character here your input is requested. If Mesanna decides to build this for our server we want it to actually be successful and an active part of our community!

------------------------------------------------

Atlantic Community Center Proposal
Ideas submitted by the Atlantic Community

Introduction​

The purpose of this proposal is to relate the summary of ideas submitted by the Atlantic community to Ultima Online’s Associate Producer, Mesanna, as well as Atlantic’s Event Moderator team. The goal of the community center is to create a centralized location where players of all play styles can gather casually and receive all the benefits of a uniquely designed and supported town environment.

The proposal will include a newly suggested site, a new theme, a list of core features that are being requested, and a few special suggestions and requests that we ask be considered. The proposal will not include any ideas, suggestions, or requests for the Atlantic Mage Tower memorial project.

New Site and Theme​

The popular decision was to step away from a mage themed tower and start fresh with a new site for the project and a new them. The proposed theme is a combination of a mariner’s guild, hunter’s lodge, and adventurer’s guild. The site being suggested to accommodate the new theme is located in Vesper in the Trammel facet:

The in-game coordinates of the “You” marker are 65o 50’N, 116o 43’E.​
This site and theme was chosen for several reasons:

• The site allows for easy expansion out into the ocean.

• The site would be located over deep water allowing for community net tosses.

• The site fits in with the dock, bridge, and canal setup of Vesper.

• Friendly and inviting theme. An “all are welcome” theme.

• The adventurer’s guild fits in with the feel of Vesper.

• The nautical aspect of the theme takes advantage of the upcoming booster pack.

• The overall theme takes advantage of the recently released treasure map changes.

Core Features​

The following is a list of requested core features. These requests are designed to simulate a Luna environment, where everything a player could need outside of his house and in a town environment is within the reach of a few steps.

• A legacy large brick house, owned by Mesanna, to serve as the meeting hall and headquarters of the project. To be decorated by either a) Mesanna and the EM team, or b) a public interior design contest.

• Extended docks and bridges around the core house to aesthetically integrate the site in with the natural look and feel of Vesper as well as provide a convenient location for public net tosses.

• An Event Moderator Announcer.

• A functioning ankh for karma locking, tithing, and resurrections.

• A lvl 6 arcane circle for spellweavers to create focuses.

• A stable master, hitching post, or small stable.

• A banker and/or a small bank with open space to bank sit and buy/sell items.

• A tavern area to provide a place to sit and chat as well as attract role-players.

• A small garden or chapel of the Virtues for weddings. Possibly on a separately created island with Mesanna’s creativity guiding the way.

• An innkeeper or small inn for safe and quick logging at the site. Additional thoughts for this were:

o Renaming and re-decorating the NPC building named “Vesper Youth Hostel” to fit the theme and incorporating it into the site, since it is already Vesper’s Inn. This building is located directly to the left of the “You” marker on the map above.​

• A separate building/area containing all NPC vendors that a player could need as well as all static crafting add-ons that a player could need (forge, anvil, soul forge, etc.). Additional suggestions regarding this were;
o A public woodworker’s bench. If possible, a forge that gives a blacksmithing bonus, a spinning wheel that gives a tailoring bonus, etc.​
o A copy of the Queen’s Soulforge (retaining Gargoyle loyalty requirement). The Queen’s Soulforge near a bank and other NPC vendors would serve as a main attraction for the site.​

• A separate building/area for a teleportation hub to conveniently travel to more commonly used locations on shard. Proposed ideas for this include:
o A moongate.​
o A crystal portal for easy travel to any other town bank or moongate. Possibly with a unique graphic from other crystal portals that fits the theme of the site.​
o A small area with gates/teleporters to and from the shard’s other major activity hubs. This will facilitate a way for people who use all locations to come easily to the community center. New players will have access to all the shard’s major activity centers using this network, which will make it easier to get help from veterans. The locations are:​

1. Luna. Malas, 96o 52’N, 22o 4’W
  2. West Britain Bank. Trammel, 5o 58’S, 6o 28’E
  3. New Haven. Trammel, 84o 38’S, 153o 4’E

o Additional gates/teleporters to other community centers:​
  1. Britain Fairgrounds. Trammel: 24o 10’S, 0o 16’E. Also at the fairground location, we request that the tent be repaired and a static hitching post be added by the stable area.
  2. Skara Brae Community Center. Trammel: 45o 47’S, 49o 13’W
  3. Atlantic Fairgrounds (Luna). Malas: 88o 20’N, 25o 31’W
o An area for the EMs to create gates when events are active and static gates/teleporters to common EM event starting points (Castle British and the Britain EM Hall for example). These gate locations can be updated by the EMs as they start new arcs and different locations are used as starting points.​
o Additional gates to each of Atlantic’s Town Banner sites:​
  1. Toad Town: Malas, 111o 11’N, 18o 33’W
  2. Shinduago Charnnagen: Malas, 15o 44’N, 56o 40’E
  3. Charnel Hill (Order of the Ebon Skull): Malas, 33o 9’N, 46o 41’E
  4. City of Sanctus: Malas, 19o 0’N, 19o 28’W
  5. Falling Waters Fortress: Malas, 3o 41’S, 0o 46’W
  6. Stonegate City: Malas, 108o 38’N, 21o 1’E
  7. Society of the Blue Crane: Tokuno, 40o 9’N, 41o 54’W
  8. Honor’s Landing (Legion of Honor): Trammel, 99o 40’N, 23o 12’W
  9. Red & Purple Pixies of the Yew Wood: Trammel, 50o 5’N, 33o 23’W
  10. UWF Township: Trammel, 79o 0’S, 38o 36’E
  11. Winterbreeze Village: Trammel, 61o 20’N, 45o 54’E
  12. Blackrock: Felucca, 166o 43’S, 138o 15’W
  13. Blackmarsh: Felucca, 41o 35’N, 41o 12’E
o A gate/teleporter to Goodman’s Rune Library: Tokuno, 38o 30’N, 38o 48’W
And Other player run establishments, provided the EM team is willing to take applications for gates.​

o Additional gates proposed for the future: “Fish Market” in the upcoming booster pack and the dueling arenas.​

Special Requested Considerations​

Here will be a list of special ideas that we are asking to be considered for the project. These ideas include aspects that will require support and/or upkeep by Mesanna and the EM team.

• A return rune bag/box similar to the ones used at the release of Age of Shadows to reach the special housing locations in Malas. When a player drops a rune into one of the bags, it marks a rune to the specified location. If these mechanics are flexible at all, it was suggested that a return rune box be added somewhere so that non-mages could drop blank recall runes into it and the box would mark a location at the community center.

• Unique spawning items themed to the site in crates throughout the docks. Another suggestion is a static vendor that sells unique memorabilia related to the site.

• An EM sponsored naming contest.

• An EM sponsored lore writing contest for hunter’s lodge/guild.

• Very theoretical: When the dueling pits are implemented, having one of Atlantic’s placed at the site.

• A Hall of Fame/Hall of Heroes for EM contest winners, dedicated role-players and guilds at EM events, tournament winners, displayed EM items, and trophies taken from key EM villains. We realize that there is an EM hall with similar properties. However, it is in a very remote location and can’t be properly appreciated by most of the population. It would be great to see winners and prominent event goers recognized in a very public place.

• A group similar in spirit to the Baja Town Guard setup where an EM character is the head of the organization and player guilds can become officially recognized participants.

• An inaugural event once the site is done with memorabilia and a tour.

Conclusion​

The players of the Atlantic Shard would like to thank both Mesanna and the Event Moderator team for both allowing this project to happen and for their continued patience while ideas were gathered. We realize that every wish that we have can not be granted and only ask for consideration regarding some of the ideas. Please feel free to contact Jandruz, with what is acceptable and what is not and also what can be changed with more brainstorming. We once again thank you.

Sincerely,

The Atlantic Shard

T

Tazar

*Digs through Mod's desk looking for the rarely used "Approved" stamp*

*Searches all over the Mod's office for missing "Approved" stamp*

*Sends off "Requisition Request" for a new "Approved" stamp*

It looks great to me. Thanks to those whose hard work went into the proposal, and to the EM's for their support, and to Mesanna for giving Atlantic this opportunity!

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
You guys are doing a great job--Mesanna, included. Thank you!

Lady Wynn

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is great.
*takes the NEW approval stamp off Tazars desk and stamps her copy* Approved.

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That looks wonderful!

I'm still not sure about all the gates, but maybe they could be worked into the decor to sort of blend in.

*psst...Taz. I might have buried that stamp under the cloth I dropped off*

B

Beleth of Atlantic

I support this proposal also.

Another idea (I forgot to submit before proposal was written).

Can the old Vesper Felucca seer item museum (includes several items from seer events) be relocated to this area? Some of those quests were very fun and the displayed items very cool.

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I support this proposal also.

Another idea (I forgot to submit before proposal was written).

Can the old Vesper Felucca seer item museum (includes several items from seer events) be relocated to this area? Some of those quests were very fun and the displayed items very cool.
I like that idea a lot. Stuff from the Humbolt quests and Nostyrll and whatnot. They most likely NEVER get seen in Vesper Fel. It would be cool to see them in a public place.

M

Malo

Perhaps a seperate "catagory" on the moongates ( like "Malas, Fel, Illshinar"..etc) for "Townships" that drops a list would work.

MollyAtlantic

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is a wonderful idea. I think moving the Vesper Museum there would be awesome too. Love to see old Nostr'yl again! My favorite nemesis!

Bennu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As I said privately:

#1: I think the moongate section should be at a different already 'pre-existing' area. You do not want half of this community center to be simply a field of moongates right? That is a VERY large area of moongates. For this you could have two moongates, one regular moongate like the one by Britain Bank, and a second that takes you to this 'field of gates' located somewhere else.

#2: I really like the Vesper Museum idea and the idea of relocating 'most/all' of the various Seer/Old EM items there since they are rather spread out all over the world. I actually had to go take a look in Vesper and Skara, I didn't know about them. Data would have to be gathered on where these locations are, Britain Throne Room, Skara Brae Counselors Hall, and the Fel Vesper Museum come to mind.

#3: If the 'large brick' house is to be the central hub, why just a 'large brick'? Atlantic is a big server and can draw big crowds, you will need room for them.

Keep in mind what YOU see in your mind isn't what Mesanna sees or even what I see. When you submit your proposal, be specific, be visual, and be thorough so you are not disappointed.

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the idea of a gate taking you to a field of gates. That would be much better than having a wall of gates at the center.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I like the idea of a gate taking you to a field of gates. That would be much better than having a wall of gates at the center.
x2

Moreover, the inclusion of a field of gates, an announcer, an arcane circle, a stable, a banker, an inn, and crafting mechanisms tells me that this center will quickly replace Luna as a hub for community activity. I am sincerely looking forward to it.

B

Bill Gates OSD

One question, possibly two or three hundred if I may. :)

1: Regarding the level 6 arcane focus. Is this going to require 4 people within 20 skill points of each other or just take your weaver there, stand in the circle and bang! level 6? If so, woohoooo! I'm all for it! It's a pain to get 4 people together. I wish they would change all arcane circles to function with just one person.

2: Rather than the field of gates, why not a menu like the existing public moongates? Maybe I'm missing something here...

3: The deep water and net tossing sounds fantastic!

Thank you to everyone who has been working on this and who will work on it in the future. This sounds like a wonderful addition to Atlantic!

T

Tazar

One question, possibly two or three hundred if I may. :)

1: Regarding the level 6 arcane focus. Is this going to require 4 people within 20 skill points of each other or just take your weaver there, stand in the circle and bang! level 6? If so, woohoooo! I'm all for it! It's a pain to get 4 people together. I wish they would change all arcane circles to function with just one person.

2: Rather than the field of gates, why not a menu like the existing public moongates? Maybe I'm missing something here...

3: The deep water and net tossing sounds fantastic!

Thank you to everyone who has been working on this and who will work on it in the future. This sounds like a wonderful addition to Atlantic!
I believe that the center will be built with existing game mechanics - adding deco and items - but without major reprogramming.

So... On item #1, I am sure it will be just a circle like the one at Brit Bank or in the Prism of Light. However - currently, whenever I am online, I am leaving 4 characters "hiding" on the circle at Brit Bank. They are all trained up to 100 skill so anyone from 80 to 120 skill can get one with ease. They are typically there any evening from around 6pm central to 10pm central - and are there most of the weekend. Once the community center is in place, I'll either move them over, or put four additional ones there for convenience. :)

Item #2 would also take additional programming to add the newer locations to the menu's... not sure, but this could conflict with the existing gate system so may not be as easy as it sounds. Hopefully Mesanna will have some good ideas there. :)

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Get your last minute ideas or changes in now folks. We said the 17th but I won't be making the changes to the proposal until tomorrow, so if anyone has any last minute ideas, now is the time :)

Jandruz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks everyone. We'll make the necessary changes to the proposal and get it shipped off to Mesanna. :)

TullyMars

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Status check?
Proposal delivered?
Proposal read?
Proposal approved? sent back for modification or clarification? denied outright?

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The proposal has been submitted to Mesanna. She has acknowledged receiving it and once things slow down with the HSA release, we will move from there :)

B

Berkley

What I dont like is moongates to guild halls. Its like saying messanna or the em's favor them over other guilds and that sends the wrong message, I think.

The rest sounds great.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
What I dont like is moongates to guild halls. Its like saying messanna or the em's favor them over other guilds and that sends the wrong message, I think.

The rest sounds great.
It's not guild-specific, it's township-specific. Following this logic, one could argue that township banners send a message saying that Mesanna or the EMs prefer certain communities over others. But the truth is, anyone can apply for a township banner, and by extension, a moongate to their community. No guild required.

B

Berkley

I dont like it period....

Am I allowed to not agree with others? I dont think any guild should have a gate to there hall. It doesn't look good in my eyes. And looks like unfair treatment to small close guilds that can't afford 250 dollar keeps.

Uwf & LLTS got more things in common then they know. Being bully's is one.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
You're free to disagree with me, the idea, etc. Am I not free to disagree with you without being called a bully?

Sheesh. o_O

Also, as I mentioned above, the gates do not lead to guilds--they lead to townships.

B

Beleth of Atlantic

I dont like it period....

Am I allowed to not agree with others? I dont think any guild should have a gate to there hall. It doesn't look good in my eyes. And looks like unfair treatment to small close guilds that can't afford 250 dollar keeps.

Uwf & LLTS got more things in common then they know. Being bully's is one.
You do not need a Keep to obtain a banner. You just need to put in some effort and apply.

B

Bill Gates OSD

Ok, so what happened to this? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like what you are all suggesting is that the EM/Messana re-create Luna all over again but this time in Vesper. Why would you need all those moongates? White every NPC you could ever want right there in the community center you would have no need to travel to another town. I think it would be a huge mistake for Messana or an EM to implement this.

T

Tazar

Sounds like what you are all suggesting is that the EM/Messana re-create Luna all over again but this time in Vesper. Why would you need all those moongates? White every NPC you could ever want right there in the community center you would have no need to travel to another town. I think it would be a huge mistake for Messana or an EM to implement this.
The shard members have discussed this for several months. We want a place with a reason for player to congregate and stay a while. Otherwise, we will end up with another Skara-Brae community center that is NEVER used. There needs to be a reason to come to the center. There needs to be reasons to stay. Crafting bonuses... NPC Vendors... Easy Access to the shards important locations so that younger players can get around...

These are all important to the success of the community center. And yes... we are looking to replace the Luna that everyone hates. Please note that PASmountaindew is from another shard and does not represent the opinions of the Atlantic Community.

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please note that PASmountaindew is from another shard and does not represent the opinions of the Atlantic Community.
Yes it is true that I play on another shard but I also play on Atl. Just because I split my time between two different shards does not mean I don't care what happens on one of them. If we really are going to have a community center like what is being describe I recommend it be named the S.S. Luna 2. Might as well since it will be a virtual copy of the current Luna. Heck why don't we get rid of all the towns and just have the EMs create this center where all the towns used to be. Also why not have centers like this in the middle of every single township so those folks don't have to travel to get resources or to craft or explore. Geez people call people that play primarily in trammel carebears. If this center is put it then everyone on Atlantic should be considered a carebear no matter what facet they choose to play on.

B

Beleth of Atlantic

How would this center being created make all Atlantic players carebears? The purpose is a location with access to a large variety of vendors/resources/access to other areas so that players will actually come there and use it.

With the high seas having been added Vesper was the chosen location due to it being directly on the water with a lot of ship access.

I don't see how having a location that the player base would actually use would make Atlantic players carebears.

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Asking for all these special things i.e.

A functioning ankh for karma locking, tithing, and resurrections.

• A lvl 6 arcane circle for spellweavers to create focuses.

• A stable master, hitching post, or small stable.

• A banker and/or a small bank with open space to bank sit and buy/sell items.

• A tavern area to provide a place to sit and chat as well as attract role-players.

A separate building/area containing all NPC vendors that a player could need as well as all static crafting add-ons that a player could need (forge, anvil, soul forge, etc.). Additional suggestions regarding this were;

o A public woodworker’s bench. If possible, a forge that gives a blacksmithing bonus, a spinning wheel that gives a tailoring bonus, etc.

o A copy of the Queen’s Soulforge (retaining Gargoyle loyalty requirement). The Queen’s Soulforge near a bank and other NPC vendors would serve as a main attraction for the site.
Seems to me asking for and getting all these things and more that have been asked for is kind of like using cheat codes to get extra lives and more ammo and extra armor. Heck why don't the EMs/Messana give us all god suits and the ability to teleport to anywhere on the shard no matter what facet and give us the ability to instantly spawn gold and resources and items. Please EMs make life ingame really really easy for us care bears. We don't like to work to be involved.

T

Tazar

There is not much left in UO that gives a reason for a "Community". Folks can do darn near anything solo. The team that put this together tried hard to find things that would give people a reason to come to the community center... a reason to stay a while and meet people. A reason to have the MMO in MMORPG. The points that you are are against is exactly why this has a chance of working while the Skara-Brae community center has stood empty since the day it was built.

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If something like what was done to brit bank was proposed just a re-design as far as deco was concerned I would be in favor of it but why bring everything that is wanted into one single place ingame. like the Queen's soul forge. That was put in Ter Mur for a reason. To draw people to it. If you make it available in more than one place then it is no longer unique. I don't even like the Arcane Circles at brit bank because now no one that I know of goes to the Prism of Light to use the circle there. Now people just meet at brit bank and use the one there. You get the same increase bonus but easier to get to and no danger hence the carebear effect.

T

Tazar

And even with it at Brit Bank, on many shards it is almost impossible to get a level 6 focus. As has been stated in hundreds of threads across stratics, the playerbase is too spread out across various facets, etc. for there to be a real "community" any more. Global chat was an attempt to draw people together, but sadly, many have had to turn it off due to the... well... enough said on that.

This is all about community... drawing people together - not keeping them apart. There has to be a reason to come together these days. People need a place where they can come for conversation... hunting parties... things to do. We designed a place that gives people a reason to come and stay.

If you don't like it, you don't have to come and visit.

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you don't like it, you don't have to come and visit.
Real grown up and mature way of putting that. On Sonoma the other shard I play on I never seem to have trouble finding enough people to get a level 6 focus at brit bank and all I do is ask in guild chat. I wonder how many people would show if I asked in guild and general chat. Atl has one of the largest numbers of players on it. Should be easier than on Sonoma. I just think too much is being asked for at this community center. Enough that it will imbalance the game. Maybe not on a personal player to player level but on a town to town level. Why visit any other town or anywhere else if you can go to a one stop shop and find everything there. Kind of like a Super Wal-Mart.

T

Tazar

Grown up? It is a personal choice if you use it or not... However telling the Mesanna not to do it when so many others want it is not a personal choice... it is forcing your choice on others. That's not right in my book.

Again, this is about bringing people together - a community. Without something to act as a magnet, it won't work. The other towns are already dead. Nothing is going to magically restore them to vitality. This at least has a chance of bringing people together - which is the whole point in a community center.

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like you are all forcing upon me? Why are you all allowed to your opinion but I am not? I stated that I do not like this idea and why I don't like it and all you do is keep re-enforcing my the points that I keep making. Yes all the other towns are all but dead because no one goes there so why create a new town inside a town? Why doesn't the community take it upon itself and help liven up the existing towns WITHOUT help from the EMs or Devs? You mentioned something in ICQ about if I remembered back in the days when people would hang at the Brit smith shop and repair armor and such. Yes I do and that was fun and enjoyable. There was no incentive like crafting bonuses or anything to draw people there. It was just people being friendly. Since those days the economy has gone bad and no one is willing to help their fellow person with free repairs and even if someone offers to repair your armor or weapon for free you have to wonder if they will give the items back or just run and keep them. Why not create a guild alliance just for getting more activity in the current towns rather than having everything handed to you in a brand new community center?

T

Tazar

We are not forcing it on you... you don't have to use it if you do not want to. That is your choice.

As to reactivating another town, it's been tried on Atlantic... numerous times... There was even a contest a while back with 100's of millions given away to get people to return to brit bank. It lasted as long as the contest lasted and then the town died again.

Without a magnet, the community center will die as have all the others. The people that put their time and effort into designing this want something that will be vibrant and alive again. There has to be a reason to come, and a reason to stay if it is to live.

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So having all these things added seems like a bribe to get people to come there. Honestly if I had to bribe people to come to my home then I would not bother having them there in the first place. Just my opinion. If there really is as much community support and interest as you say then people will show up and interact even if nothing special is made there. They will just show up to hang out with other people and socialize.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Like Tazar, I believe that this center will re-infuse a sense of community. This is a sentiment that has been lost in recent years--I am looking forward to its return.

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What if it doesn't re-infuse the sense of community? What if it just turns into another Luna? This community center makes me wonder... What if any of you had a party at your RL home and you invited everyone on Atl Shard to come over and they did but instead of coming over and just socializing and maybe tinkering on cars they all decided to use your phone, washer and dryer, your bathroom, TV and bed and decided to stay as long as they wanted? Would that still be a sense of community or just people using what you had there to their advantage without any thought to you or what you had to do to get those things in your home? Maybe a few people will come to the new community center to do what you are hoping. But most will just use it as another Luna.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Maybe a few people will come to the new community center to do what you are hoping. But most will just use it as another Luna.
In the scenario quoted above, we would still have a greater sense of community than we have currently.

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If this gets approved I predict Luna being as dead as the other towns with the exception of the vendor houses and the new community center will become Luna all over again. People afk bank sitting, littering the ground with runes and books, and spamming.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
they all decided to use your phone, washer and dryer, your bathroom, TV and bed and decided to stay as long as they wanted?
Then it would be an ole hippy commune and not a only a community :p

For me this plan has both positive and negative items in it. But imo the positive outweighs the negative. We have all witnessed the decline of "community" and any steps taken towards rebuilding that is a good thing. Not only for vet players but especially for newer ones. How many times have you seen a new player ask for help and get nothing? Keep in mind without new players UO will do what we all do NOT want to see... DIE. I remember a time when new players would ask for some help and they would immediately have 3-4 vets willing to help them out. NOW however, EA has to give them the "new player smell" and give vets increased skill gains for helping them?!?!? If that is not the sadest thing in a community driven game I don't know wtf is.

The EM's we have now on ATL are taking steps towards rebuilding the Atlantic community. This community center is a large step in that direction.

T

Tazar

You've obviously come into this months late and you have obviously missed the near constant serious debate as the project has been designed... which I guess is why you do not understand the passion that I and many others have for this project. It's not about bribing people... it is about giving them a reason to come together - to try to build a community. This is about the 4th long thread on the community center... it was originally proposed... it immediately divided the community... it was revised and revised again until a final proposal was made. The final proposal was put in this thread to seek shard approval and for 2 months it has been universally approved by everyone in the debate. This proposal was then sent to Mesanna. Now, after all that is said and done, you want to step in with the negativity? Can you claim to have had no knowledge of it until now when you mod the forum? Why not speak up before and be a part of the debate?

We know that we will not get everything on the list for the new community center. Some things will not be possible due to game mechanics. Some will not be possible due programming time, etc. Once those are removed, there needs to be something left to act as a magnet to draw people in... otherwise, there is no point in the community center at all and the project will be a waste of developer time as it will sit vacant like the Skara Brae Center and many other towns, etc... Your stated desire takes away the things that will make this work for the community.

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How is a new player supposed to learn where everything is in the ingame world if everything is handed to them in one single location? Why can't the existing community center be used as is and vets can gate new players to the things they like like a smithy shop or something? Why must there be an incentive to being a good person? When I started nothing was handed to me on a silver or gold platter. I had to work for what I wanted and when I finally earned my first mill I was excited because I EARNED it. Some of the things on that list are OK like an EM Announcer and a wedding chapel area but there should be no NPCs and no crafting things and no soul forge or arcane circle. Even the gate to the multi gate area would be fine to help new players explore. But there should be no real incentives because all that other stuff is already in other towns or areas.

T

Tazar

The new player will learn where everything is because there will be people at the center instead of just NPC's. People that can show them the world. Groups to join for hunts. Friends to make. As it is now, folks are spread all over in small, more isolated groups and it is hard for a new player to find folks to do stuff with. By drawing a community together, the newer player will have a much easier way to get to know people and to become a part of the community.

These people will be there because of the convenience provided and because of the incentives to stay there. Just like the new player program giving advanced skill gain to a vet for helping a new player, the community center is designed to help both levels of play.