• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Atlantic Community Center Proposal, Please Read and Comment.

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People's sense of community should come from their willingness to be there and to help others. Not from the NPCs and other incentives that are placed in that location.

T

Tazar

The everyone does their crafting at home because they have the skills and the forges, and the resources, etc. there... because it is more convenient for the veteran player.

This leaves the newer player without as much support and without as many chances to make friends - and so they do not feel a part of the community and may not stick around...

and UO slowly continues dying for lack of community...

Sorry, but that's not what I want for Atlantic and I see the community center as a chance to change that direction on Atlantic.

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In it's requested/suggested form I just see it as another crutch for the majority of the existing players on Atlantic and I don't see it helping the new/young players on Atl anymore than Luna does. It just hands those new players everything in one place and does not make them actually go out and adventure to other places like Ter Mur to use the Queen's Soul Forge or the Prism to use the arcane circle and such.

T

Tazar

Those items are to act as a magnet for the veteran players who will then be there to assist the newer players as they venture out into the larger world. It gives the newer player a central place to meet people, to make friends, and to join in rather than being left out.

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You say magnet I say incentive/bribe. But as far as the gate hub or whatever you wish to cal it goes... That is one of the things I didn't really have a problem with. It is all the NPCs and crafting bonuses and soul forge and arcane circles that you all want there. The only incentive there should be is the willingness to help others and to socialize with other players. If someone only hangout there because of all the magnets drawing them there then they are really not there for the community but they are there to use the magnets and then they will leave.

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Alright.

Let me take a moment to apologize to anyone who has been following this thread and waiting for updates. I have been removed from UO for the past month or so due to the infamous RL monster eating up the majority of my time. Because of that I haven't taken the time to keep people posted on what is going on with this project. I apologize for that.

With that being said: an update. Many of you know that Jandruz initiated this project and served as the original contact to Mesanna. Once the final proposal was submitted for public approval, amended, and sent to Mesanna, Jandruz stepped down from the project due to real life matters. From there, Tazar and I have been handling things.

The proposal was submitted to Mesanna and we received a reply that she would need to talk with us to discuss some of the proposed items for the Community Center. This was just prior to the High Seas release. We replied to Mesanna that we were willing to wait until frenzy of the booster pack passed as well as Halloween. This brings us to now.

I will make it a point tomorrow when I get home from work to send a gentle reminder to Mesanna and ask if now would be an appropriate time to discuss her concerns. As soon as we receive a reply to that, Tazar or I will be sure to keep you all posted. Once again, I sincerely apologize for the lack of updates for this project.

PASmountaindew, please know that I have read all of your posts and understand your concerns. While I do not agree with you I do comprehend your point of view and the point you are trying to make. I don't have much of a reply because Tazar and a few others have pretty much summed up my opinion on things. We all got into this in the same spirit.

I will say, however, that the key word of this thread title is "Proposal". I do not expect the community center to receive everything we have suggested. I'll even go so far as to say that I don't agree with everything in the proposal. However, it is not about what I, Tazar, Beleth, Jandruz, or anyone who provided ideas for this project want. It is about what common themes were agreed upon by everyone who participated in all of the threads leading up to the culminated proposal.

As Tazar said, threads for this project have been up since.. well.. I'd estimate as early as May, as late as July. Either way, several months have passed and the opportunity was provided to anyone who paid attention to offer their opinions. We made it a point to advertise it on the Stratics home page as well as to many individuals of various playstyle communities inhabiting Atlantic.

While I disagree with your thoughts on the proposal and your dubbing it a "carebear" project, I feel that it is important for all opinions to be stated here for public display. I respectfully ask that you keep all discourse constructive, however, and I am not saying that to imply that you have not thus far.

All that being said.. I guess all I have to say is... if it is a Luna 2.0, at least it will be a Luna 2.0 that residents of the Atlantic shard contributed ideas on and is unique to our shard. The alternate being that we remain in Luna 1.0, which is basically the same on every shard.

T

Tazar

But as far as the gate hub or whatever you wish to cal it goes... That is one of the things I didn't really have a problem with.
I only brought it up here because it is one of the items that you questioned in your first comment post (#28 above). It seemed appropriate to reply to your question of:

Why would you need all those moongates?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im glad to see this post pop up again, i was interested in it when it first came up but honestly forgot about it.

Tazar's devotion to Atlantic is like no other and i have great respect for him, and the work that has been put into this project. Currently i kinda have to agree with PAS tho. The center would be something new to check out, so id like to see it done even if it gets abandoned (which would be a shame but it might become another luna fairgrounds, etc etc)

For new players, we already have New Haven. Thats why Haven was bulldozed, to help new players.

Im basically neutral on the subject overall other than i would love to see luna bank abandoned, although im all for Anything that would promote community.

The thing i think would make or break this community center would be the incentive. Tazar you mention this alot, but dont really have any suggestions that i think would work. NPCs, crafting areas, boats, a bank, we already have all that. Brit bank was decorated and yeah it looks pretty. Bonuses to anything, well i kinda just think most people would recall in and out. I'm sorry this all is negative, but i think its the reality.

There has to be a really good, solid, lasting, real incentive for people to use the center. ... After thinking about it for a few mins, i still cant think of anything. If i think of something workable ill post again i guess.
Maybe ill post later with an idea.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Possible "Incentives"

A PVP dueling pit

The entire area functioning as an inn, small thing but i know i would be more likely to keep a character there if i didnt have to go to an inn for instant logout.

Sadly, a vendor house. Built and run by Messana or a responsible appointed player.

Stealable items spawning in the area.

Vanity pets spawning in an area close by.

A close by "mini spawn" easy enough for newer players to complete, with rewards not high enough for an established player to really want to do it. Perhaps low drop rate of 110 scrolls (the prices of these are so high since scroll binding)

Anyway those are my ideas to keep a the area alive and keeping with the proposed function of a new community center.

B

Bill Gates OSD

*crickets chirp as the Jeopardy music plays in the background*

T

Tazar

Nope... they were swamped and then on holiday... hoping to get it back on track soon.

Jandruz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the update. Keep up the good work!

I hope to come back...someday...

MagicStar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Somtimes you wanna go
Where everybody knows your name

Sorry this thread got that song stuck in my head so i figured id try and get it stuck in everyone elses

Ps good ideas i hope to hear more on this

Queen Arya

Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Hmmm...... Scratches head and puts on a pot of coffee!

Anyone else on Atlantic feel like a red headed step child where this community center is concerned?

I need to go back and find out the date my Toad Town Banner was placed to see how long this has dragged out.
(Banner application 1/27/2010) (Do the math... counts on fingers and toes)

When applying for a town banner it was understood the townships would be linked by a gated system making it an access to the rest of the world.

As a veteran player I have no issues getting anywhere in game, but a new player is very often lost and fustrated and quit possiblly making the game harder to play. Also with new game content (which by the way I am always grateful for) we are able to share much more easily if there was a big enough area with these items implemented there : woodworkers bench, deep sea area, Queens forge, A bank, stable and room to sell our wares without all the vendor houses to cause lag.

Yes I remember the good old days where I collected reagents off the ground so I could recall and then casting a magic arrow and being killed by a chicken. Very fond memories indeed, Life moves forward and so shall we.

When touring other shards, I am amazed at what they have accomplished and yet this application is still in the decision form?

(Thinking.... Better keep this civil)

Ok 3 cups of coffee later (cracks knuckles, rubs hands together..and places fingers on keyboard... finish this up already)

A very common phrase comes to mind ...... Just Do It!

Thanx
Queen Arya
Oh and Happy Birthday Mesanna! (come visit Toad Town, I promise to keep the frogs legs out of your birthday cake :} )

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry if this was covered already… but would there be a moongate fixed inside Luna to get to this area? Like the green moongates, separated from the standard blue public gate.

Even when we had so many more members of our community, I used to live in Vesper for all my banking and NPC vendor needs. It didn’t have much in the way of traffic. Unless there was a direct and clear moongate like next to the actual bank inside Luna or by the stables, I’m afraid more people then not would forget it. I’d also do one at New Haven and West Brit bank for that matter.

I also know we’ve been waiting for a town banner/establishment teleporter hub for a long time. It sure would help all of us with opening doors to our community. Can't wait to see what comes of this idea. :)

Thanks for including the Red & Purple Pixies of the Yew Wood on the banner list. :) You may have overlooked Lady Kero’s “Mystic Gardens”… the banner was done just a few short months ago.

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why is it that it seems just about everyone on Atl wants things handed to them nice and easy? Why do you need moongates in the actual towns to get to a hub that can take you just about anywhere? When I started playing UO part of the fun was trying to find things or to interact with folks by asking them to gate me to place and such. Putting up gates and hubs like this will ruin the game for new players. If you want people to visit your establishment or town why not create a rune book or just make runs and hand them out and maybe have one of those rune books locked down in Luna. Better yet create a runebook library.

L

Lilyth of RK

I honestly have to go with PAS/MD on this one on alot of the aspects. Not going to delve into it as I am very late to the conversation, just going to have to agree to some, but not all of content of PAS's posts.

I am one of those strange people who thinks a lvl 6 focus should only be obtained on the circle in Prism of Light. I wonder why the Skara Comm Center isn't resurrected? Maybe they can throw in a rune (gate) library and a champ Spawn on the back porch. A vendor house with public vendor rentals. Then no one has to ever go anywhere. I just wonder about alot of things to do with this proposal.

Have fun with it, I am sure if it is comes into existance I will visit sometime or the other. I never was able to manage fully avoiding Luna either.

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why is it that it seems just about everyone on Atl wants things handed to them nice and easy? Why do you need moongates in the actual towns to get to a hub that can take you just about anywhere? When I started playing UO part of the fun was trying to find things or to interact with folks by asking them to gate me to place and such. Putting up gates and hubs like this will ruin the game for new players. If you want people to visit your establishment or town why not create a rune book or just make runs and hand them out and maybe have one of those rune books locked down in Luna. Better yet create a runebook library.
While I might agree with some of your sentiment PASmountaindew, I take exception to the bolded statement in your post. Atlantic has a teleporter hub and many of the finest rune libraries in the game. Contrary to your statement many Atlanteans do not expect "things handed to them nice and easy".

There are Non Player made Portals on several shards. I guess we just expected that every shard would get one eventually. I grew tired of waiting and built my own.

You are more than welcome to visit and enjoy it but please do not assume what "just about everyone on Atlantic" is like. You can, however, be sure that many of us were very excited about this project and looked forward to it being built.

Andrasta
Goodman's Rune Library

Bon Iver

Stratics Veteran
If it's supposed to be easy for new players, how will they be able to recall? Gates are supposed to make it easier for the new players and are just easier. Also, Atlantic, in my opinion, has EARNED this.

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it's supposed to be easy for new players, how will they be able to recall? Gates are supposed to make it easier for the new players and are just easier. Also, Atlantic, in my opinion, has EARNED this.
I never said it should be easy for new players. New players already get accelerated skill gains in New Haven. Why not let them train there till they are able to travel on their own to other areas? It was not easy when I started. Sure when I started we had Power Hour so for one hour each day we had accelerated skill gains. New Players have it the entire day. Ohh and I think I have earned 1 billion gold... doesn't mean I should or will get it either.

Queen Arya

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
um... Im thinking .....

Town Recognition Application

Just want what was promised

When you hold multiple community events year after year then come back and post here. Otherwise your statements are falling on deaf ears!

Still trying to keep this light and positive (Bites tongue)

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I never said it should be easy for new players. New players already get accelerated skill gains in New Haven. Why not let them train there till they are able to travel on their own to other areas? It was not easy when I started. Sure when I started we had Power Hour so for one hour each day we had accelerated skill gains. New Players have it the entire day. Ohh and I think I have earned 1 billion gold... doesn't mean I should or will get it either.
wow...anyways

Pretty sure most shards have some kind of central hub that connect all player towns. For example Chesapeake has the hub near the luna fairgrounds, where you can click the playertown's banner/statue and teleport there. It works the other way around too, clicking the town banner takes you back to the central hub.

All of the features posted here dont seem bad. For example:

• An Event Moderator Announcer. - Makes sense for one to be at the hub

• A functioning ankh for karma locking, tithing, and resurrections. - They are everywhere, no way gamebreaking having one here

• A lvl 6 arcane circle for spellweavers to create focuses. - They already put one in Britain, so it really doesnt seem to be too much to have one at the hub.

• A stable master, hitching post, or small stable. - These are everywhere

• A banker and/or a small bank with open space to bank sit and buy/sell items. - Again...so many out there, it doesnt seem gamebreaking

• A small garden or chapel of the Virtues for weddings. Possibly on a separately created island with Mesanna’s creativity guiding the way. - Seems like a good place to do it

The idea for gates/a crystal teleporter maybe back in the day would have seemed as "making the game too easy", but nowadays you have public houses anyways that utilize the crystal teleporters to provide easy transportation.

Basically this whole idea is pretty much a glorified public player house with some special features. No way is this "game breaking", it doesnt make the game "too easy" , and it certainly doesnt "ruin the experience" for new players.

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wow...anyways

Pretty sure most shards have some kind of central hub that connect all player towns. For example Chesapeake has the hub near the luna fairgrounds, where you can click the playertown's banner/statue and teleport there. It works the other way around too, clicking the town banner takes you back to the central hub.

All of the features posted here dont seem bad. For example:

• An Event Moderator Announcer. - Makes sense for one to be at the hub

• A functioning ankh for karma locking, tithing, and resurrections. - They are everywhere, no way gamebreaking having one here

• A lvl 6 arcane circle for spellweavers to create focuses. - They already put one in Britain, so it really doesnt seem to be too much to have one at the hub.

• A stable master, hitching post, or small stable. - These are everywhere

• A banker and/or a small bank with open space to bank sit and buy/sell items. - Again...so many out there, it doesnt seem gamebreaking

• A small garden or chapel of the Virtues for weddings. Possibly on a separately created island with Mesanna’s creativity guiding the way. - Seems like a good place to do it

The idea for gates/a crystal teleporter maybe back in the day would have seemed as "making the game too easy", but nowadays you have public houses anyways that utilize the crystal teleporters to provide easy transportation.

Basically this whole idea is pretty much a glorified public player house with some special features. No way is this "game breaking", it doesnt make the game "too easy" , and it certainly doesnt "ruin the experience" for new players.
Looking at the statements in bold I don't understand how that justifies needing more of those. If they are all over the place already and easy to get to then why make it easier? So this community center can become another Luna?

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Looking at the statements in bold I don't understand how that justifies needing more of those. If they are all over the place already and easy to get to then why make it easier? So this community center can become another Luna?
lol what?

I would write a response, but it just seems pointless with you. I honestly do not get it. For a game whose population is dwindling, you want to make sure a community is still intact. Connecting the community through a central hub like the one proposed would increase community interaction. Did we need this when we were new? No...but also the player population was a lot bigger back then too.