• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

anyone recently gone though EMT class?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*smiles* You are welcome to stay a while.

W

Wisty

Apologies to OTers. I thought you were again giving newcomers hell, when what you were doing was complaining about entire threads being dumped here. :blushing:

W

Wisty

Well, hmm, uhhm, *shuffles feet* *looks around very confused-like*, Hello Siege Perilous? I've never played that shard. So I really don't belong here. Sorry for intruding.

*runs back to OT like a scared little girl*

Well, ok, for humor effect anyways.

Bye! :)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
No worries Wisty. This guy thinks he should be able to break the law on one hand and be a hero on the other. I do not want a pot head working on me if my life is in the balance. Nor would I want an alcoholic doing the same.

If smoking or drinking is that important, choose another job.

M

Mythic

Hair folicle testing can detect drug use as far back as 2 years, however the majority of hair folicle testing kits will only go back as far as 3 to 6 months.
THC can be detected anywhere from 2 days to 11 weeks after smoking marijuana depending on frequency of use, quality, and most importantly your BMI or fat content in your body when using a Urinalysis. The most comon type of testing today is the mouth swap which will detect THC up to 4 days after use.

There are several ways and products one can use to pass each type of drug test. For the hair folicle testing they have created shampoos which literally strip your hair of proteins containg chemicals leftover from the use of illicit substances. I do not have any experiance with this type of testing so I can not offer any advice here.

When asked to give a urine sample the only sure fire way to pass is synthetic urine, but this wont work for your PO as they will most likely watch you give the sample. Also you must ensure that the sample is Between 93 and 96 degrees when collected because they do test the temperature! These kits cost between $30 and $45. I do not trust or recomend any of the following home remedies: Those nifty herbal drinks with the 100% guaranty( youll need the money back after you've lost your job), cranberry juice or pills, cayenne pepper, goldenseal, niacin, or drinking gallons of water as the test results will most likely show up as diluted which is considered a positive test result.

Mouth swabs can be passed by drinking (choking down) liquid fruit pectin 30 minutes to 1 and 1/2 hours prior to testing. It is a food preservative used when making jams and such, Certo is one brand name. Some prefer to mix it with 8 ounces of warm water as it goes down easier. I have personally passed 3 swaps using this method. I have heard gargling paroxide will do the trick, havnt tried it. I have tried Mouthwash and listerine pocket strips but the results where inconclusive meaning a positive test, I do not recommend using mouthwash to pass.

THE ONLY WAY TO PASS EVERY DRUG SCREENING EVERY TIME IS TO NOT USE ILLICIT SUBSTANCES.

Sadly, Many companies lose or will never hire excellent, intelligent, hard working individuals becuase of they're recreational use of marijuana.

One last thing before I go, I trust my life in your hands so long as you are properly trained and confident in your work.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
One last thing before I go, I trust my life in your hands so long as you are properly trained and confident in your work.
That is easy to say when he has to **** in a bottle to get the job.

M

Mythic

That is easy to say when he has to **** in a bottle to get the job.
If thats what the man must do to ensure he can obtain employment in a field he feels is his calling then so be it. If you where to use marijuana habitually you would be more then capable of performing whatever it is you do with no flaws.
The only drawback to using marijuana is the fact that it contains far more carcenogins then tobacco.
Ooh little fact for yall here. In the 70s they argued that you could in fact overdose and die from THC. A monkey in a lab was placed in a box with no ventilation. A tube fed large amounts of marijauna smoke into said box and the monkey was found to have died after 12 minutes of nonstop excessive exposure. However it was later realized the monkey had died of smoke inhalition and not a THC overdose. It is the only known case of any human or animal being said to have died from THC overdose.

E

Emma Blackoak

us nub takee druggy fingz. *gnaws on a mushruum* uz unly smokee sum weedz.

E

Emma Blackoak

yeah but serious. marihuana is not that big a problem. all evidence vanishes about after 3 months afaik. cocaine and morhine based drugs will stay much longer (2-3 years) provable in your hair. shaving hair is no way out as it will be detecable in new grown hair.
i do not think that smoking pot is a big problem as long as you aren't high at work. i met myself some very highly intelligent people (at work) who smoked sometimes. that is about balance, like you can drink some beer in the evening but dont come drunk to work.

I

Ilysess

If thats what the man must do to ensure he can obtain employment in a field he feels is his calling then so be it. If you where to use marijuana habitually you would be more then capable of performing whatever it is you do with no flaws.
Wow, pull your head out of your ass. You can argue that legalities of weed all you want and claim all the proof in the world but if you genuinly believe that anyone responsible for someone elses life even has the right to consider being high then you need to have your head examined.

When you assume this type of profession you lose some personal freedoms. Even if you think its acceptable, the person you are trying to save may be inclined to disagree.

If smoking is that important then the guy is in the wrong profession period. I have dealt way too many times with EMT's exactly like that who think what the hell, my body is used to it, it wont affect me. That is flat out wrong and frankly I wouldnt want to be relying on a partner who takes the extra 20 seconds to think of a critical technique that should be automatic, or better yet forgets and does something stupid because they were a bit hazy.

S

Shakaja

i personally wouldnt go as far as calling someone who smokes (and nothing specific here like only weed, any smoking) highly intelligent. but that might be just me.

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The point of this thread wasn't to discuss the views people have on weed....somebody asked a question about becoming an EMT.

This is the reason threads get locked.:lame:
Dante, if you read the original chain of posts, you will see that what he specifically wanted to know is if he could still keep up his pot habit and be an EMT, due to the drug screening practices for that profession. IMO it is all about the weed.

-Skylark

M

Mythic

Wow, pull your head out of your ass. You can argue that legalities of weed all you want and claim all the proof in the world but if you genuinly believe that anyone responsible for someone elses life even has the right to consider being high then you need to have your head examined.
Im not arguing the legality of marijuana at all. Nowhere in any of my posts do I argue that point. Also, being a habitual smoker and being high at work are 2 different things, I wouldnt want anyone that was High, drunk, or cracked out taking care of me either. Marijuana should be used in the privacy of your own home and not in the workplace or in a vehicle.

S

Shakaja

so you say people should be able to do any drug as long as its in their privacy? or do you think marijuana is special and should be an exception, if so why?

M

Mythic

Well.....Yes. Yes I do feel that way. But I certainly dont encourage the use the majority of illicit substances. Ooh hey folks if yall dont trust the abilities of stoners to perform thier essential job functions I would stay away from any structure that has been constructed. Every building, every home, even the highrises in the city. Im not saying that everyone in the construction field uses marijuana, but a large majority do. I can understand where you are all coming from. I absolutly refuse to work with methamphetamine addicts, I feel that there work practices and ethic put peoples lives in the immediate vacinity in danger. And I understand if you all feel this way about marijuana users. Take a good look around when you get to work today people, chances are that one out of every four individuals in your work place is a habitual smoker(meaning they get high everyday, likely several times a day, and have done so for the last several years).

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe you should provide some data which backs up your findings. Otherwise, stop making things up to support your argument...la

M

Mythic

My findings for the use of marijuana by individuals in the construction field comes from personal experiance. And being the stoner I am im just to dammed lazy to provide you with data you request. Do your own dammed research!

S

Shakaja

Well.....Yes. Yes I do feel that way. But I certainly dont encourage the use the majority of illicit substances. Ooh hey folks if yall dont trust the abilities of stoners to perform thier essential job functions I would stay away from any structure that has been constructed. Every building, every home, even the highrises in the city. Im not saying that everyone in the construction field uses marijuana, but a large majority do. I can understand where you are all coming from. I absolutly refuse to work with methamphetamine addicts, I feel that there work practices and ethic put peoples lives in the immediate vacinity in danger. And I understand if you all feel this way about marijuana users. Take a good look around when you get to work today people, chances are that one out of every four individuals in your work place is a habitual smoker(meaning they get high everyday, likely several times a day, and have done so for the last several years).

which enforces my point of making the law much stricter and not looser.

M

Mythic

Honestly Shakaja, By making the laws more strict all you would be doing is jailing even more people for longer periods of time. Now I can see how this would benifit you as it would take more marijuana users of the street, but it certainly would not discourage its usage.

S

Shakaja

i never said pulling them into jail is the solution, that would punish everyone paying taxes. the only thing that people seem to care about is money (even thoo that there is the problem that people dont have/earn the same amount which leads to a new problem). however there are cases showing that jail isnt necesairily useless, japan is a good example as getting cought driving drunk will get you in prison for multiple years. and it seems to work quite well for them.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My findings for the use of marijuana by individuals in the construction field comes from personal experiance. And being the stoner I am im just to dammed lazy to provide you with data you request. Do your own dammed research!
You are making up "facts" you should be able to back them up by more than...because I say so...la

C

Castor

i love threads like these, especially justifying the use of dope and why it should not impact a person's job status.

I honestly do not care what you do in your personal life, but if you want to work for me or my organizations, you are drug free. Plain and simple. Pot is illegal, simple as that. Whether it is as harmful as alcohol is irrevelant. It is illegal.

If one of my employees was involved in an incident that causes damages or injures somebody, i am required to send them for a drug test right away. If they fail, i lose the subsequent case, even if the incident was no fault of their own.

This is what potheads always fail to understand. Your lifestyle puts my organization at a liabiliity risk which in turn puts your coworkers at risk as if i am having to pay a settlement based on your ******baggery, that is less money i have for payroll, benefits, bonuses or more employees. Combine that with bad press, possible loss of grants, you can be jeapordizing the livelihoods of your coworkers

That is why i sent my maintenance department for drug tests the day after the loser national holiday (4/20) and that is why i have one less maintenance guy working for me now than a month ago.

I did not make the rules to this game, but it is what it is.

T'Challa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pot is illegal, simple as that.
And it's the closeminded people like you who will cause it to remain this way, sadly. Never once considering the original reasons the plant was made illegal, only blindly following your governmental decrees like a good little sheep. Don't ever consider the fact that maybe, just maybe, what the government says *isn't* always what's best for you.

Baa-baa li'l sheep...go on with the rest of the sheeple and always follow, never lead. Don't question authority, whatever you do. It's thinking like this that will eventually be the downfall of this once-great country. I bet you're pro-knife and gun laws as well. Regulate everything, don't let anyone live free in the "Land of the Free" for God's sake! It'll be anarchy!

E

Emil IsTemp

Why would you make that assumption? Besides, comparing speeding to smoking dope is laughable...la
Yea it is.. speeding increases your risk of an accident.. (in case you didnt know)

Dont drink and drive either, smoke weed n fly.

"signal.. check left, check right.. hmm did i check left?"

Potheads drive 5 under. WERE SAFER.

E

Emil IsTemp

And it's the closeminded people like you who will cause it to remain this way, sadly. Never once considering the original reasons the plant was made illegal, only blindly following your governmental decrees like a good little sheep. Don't ever consider the fact that maybe, just maybe, what the government says *isn't* always what's best for you.

Baa-baa li'l sheep...go on with the rest of the sheeple and always follow, never lead. Don't question authority, whatever you do. It's thinking like this that will eventually be the downfall of this once-great country. I bet you're pro-knife and gun laws as well. Regulate everything, don't let anyone live free in the "Land of the Free" for God's sake! It'll be anarchy!
=) Pot was also Americas LARGEST cash crop in 2007... and its illegal.

E

Emil IsTemp

If you want to smoke weed, then choose a career that does not involve having someone's life in your hands. A career in janitorial services springs to mind.
Or be a politician who blows lines off of a strippers... well yea...

E

Emil IsTemp

/signed, in very large lettering so the King can read it without his glasses.

S

Shakaja

Yea it is.. speeding increases your risk of an accident.. (in case you didnt know)

which is very arguable. a few recent studies have shown that while driving quicker, you are more focused and cause less accidents (of course not while its snowing and frozen etc, under good conditions).

how you can say we are safter talking about stoned drivers is beyond me, their reaction time their concentration abilities are way off to be allowed to drive.

E

Emil IsTemp

My views:

Yes I smoke, serveral times a day for the most part. Id say im rather intelligent, or do you need my peice of paper from college saying I am?

Work first, play later. I report to work 10 minutes early, sober.

And i pay my taxes to see them go to make guns and bombs.

Smoking n driving = drinking n driving as far as the Law goes. But I get paranoid, always signal, never swerve, and go exactly, or under the speed limit when flying.

Drunk drivers on the other hand.. all over the road, more likely to speed. (cant remember if ive ever heard of a "Driving While Baked" fatality... other than those stupid anti-drug comercials...)

I consider Pot a recreational activity, like drinking. The impairing effects of alcohol are much worse than those of pot, and its legal. Oh did you know Bars encourage you to drink and drive? Your supposed to get a DD if you cant drive, but keep in mind, the average American intelligence level is that of a third grader. (reading some of the boards, i dont disagree)

E

Emil IsTemp

which is very arguable. a few recent studies have shown that while driving quicker, you are more focused and cause less accidents (of course not while its snowing and frozen etc, under good conditions).

how you can say we are safter talking about stoned drivers is beyond me, their reaction time their concentration abilities are way off to be allowed to drive.
greater speed = greater stopping distance. I smoke pot, and break the law. You speed and break the law. Ill be fair. If we legalize weed, well take out all the speed limit signs too.

See who has more fatalities.

S

Shakaja

I consider Pot a recreational activity, like drinking. The impairing effects of alcohol are much worse than those of pot, and its legal. Oh did you know Bars encourage you to drink and drive? Your supposed to get a DD if you cant drive, but keep in mind, the average American intelligence level is that of a third grader. (reading some of the boards, i dont disagree)

you should have read my posts. i never said alcohol should be legal but always pointed out that just because alcohol is legal, pot shouldnt become legal as well. it should be other way around, alcohol should become illegal too.

E

Emil IsTemp

Yea we tried that in the 1920... didnt work out too well.

Actually it did. Drinking related problems, accidents, and deaths were at an all time low when it was illegal..

..Organized crime was at an all time high as a result.

"fixing" one problem, leads to much worse ones.

R

RedDaTeef

Maybe if EMTs used Meth they would get to the emergency quicker!!!
Ever think of that you smart guys!:wall::thumbup1::pint::lame:

M

Mythic

My views:

Yes I smoke, serveral times a day for the most part. Id say im rather intelligent, or do you need my peice of paper from college saying I am?
You Know I was going to point out the fact I score an average of 142 on the IQ Tests givin by tickle but what the hell its not a real IQ test.
Im glad us chronic users are starting to speak up!

Hey Castor, I would assume the only reason you require drug testing of your employees is because your insurance angency requires it. Any tool they can utilize to prevent paying back the victum of an accident they will utilize. Its all about the money. And to think that any workplace including your own is drug free is laughable. I smoke and Will run circles around 90% of the people I work with. I would be more then happy to come work for any of you and show you how us smokers get down.

C

Castor

. And to think that any workplace including your own is drug free is laughable. QUOTE]

i concede that point that i will probably never get a 100% drug free workplace, but i will sure as hell try. And the nice message that i sent after the latest round of drug tests is to think before you toke up, it may cost you your job, your medical benefits, your paid vacation etc..

R

RedDaTeef

What!! they make porno actors take drug tests..what is the world coming too!
I know what you do Castor!!:lol:

A

Azural Kane

. And to think that any workplace including your own is drug free is laughable. QUOTE]

i concede that point that i will probably never get a 100% drug free workplace, but i will sure as hell try. And the nice message that i sent after the latest round of drug tests is to think before you toke up, it may cost you your job, your medical benefits, your paid vacation etc..
:lame:

Or you, could, you know... find somewhere to work that isn't run by fascists that have nothing better to do than pry into ones private life?

Not really that hard actually if you start by saying you're not willing to compromise your own beliefs to appease someone else's sense of bloated ego and happiness in the first place. And no you don't have to compromise profession or pay for it in many cases.

M

Mythic

Now look I know this isnt economical Castor and could result in the loss of even more employees but, go down to walgreens or GNC and purchase as many home drug tesing kits as you can, the mouth swab variety. you can literally stick one in everyones mouth at the same time, line em all up, test them all, You sir will be very suprised at the results! Make it an anonymis test, dont have your employees put their names on them, this is for your own personal research, and let us know what youve found out :) May I ask why you sent the maintenace department only?

Q

qqqa2

i smoke

i work my ass off when i work.

i dont drive or go to work high.

and your an idiot if you think i cant do my job just as well as someone who doesnt smoke.

the fact that i love helping people, have good people skills, and know my anatomy very well should be what matters, not that i smoke a little pot.

if i was smoking at work, or befor work that is a WHOLE diffrent story. but i do a very good job at doing it at the appropriet time and i take my work and patient care very very serious and that is what should matter.

A

Alrich

agreed.

There are plenty of responsible smokers out there, who aren't stupid and underage like some seem to think every potsmoker is.

Which is why it shouldn't be illegal, but controlled similar to alcohol. hell set up a commitee similar or under ATF or what have you.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL, just to get this on topic for this forum, I used to steal from the guild 420 every chance I had...just because of their guild name...LOSERS!!!...la

M

Mythic

LOL, just to get this on topic for this forum, I used to steal from the guild 420 every chance I had...just because of their guild name...LOSERS!!!...la
LOL, now thats funny right there, a thief talkin trash about stoners. LOSER

C

Castor

:lame:

Or you, could, you know... find somewhere to work that isn't run by fascists that have nothing better to do than pry into ones private life?
i love my job and believe it or not, my employees love me because i run a very tight ship, i keep the costs low and turn my profits back on the employees, giving them perks and benefits that most individuals do not enjoy in this economy. My greatest asset is my staff and they make my company roll on and in turn make me successful, and i treat them like my greatest asset.

however, they all realize what the rules of the game and due to the contracts i have, i need to strive for a drug free workplace to maintain what we have now. And you know what, they welcome the drug tests because it partially ensures that the success they currently enjoy will not be endangered by some selfish fool.

E

Emil IsTemp

i love my job and believe it or not, my employees love me because i run a very tight ship, i keep the costs low and turn my profits back on the employees, giving them perks and benefits that most individuals do not enjoy in this economy. My greatest asset is my staff and they make my company roll on and in turn make me successful, and i treat them like my greatest asset.

however, they all realize what the rules of the game and due to the contracts i have, i need to strive for a drug free workplace to maintain what we have now. And you know what, they welcome the drug tests because it partially ensures that the success they currently enjoy will not be endangered by some selfish fool.
What kinda perks?

Casual fridays? Pizza day? "I work for Castor and all I got was this t-shirt" shirts?

;)

Razz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Thats just horseshiet. You have good workers because you hired good workers. It has nothing to do with them smoking or not smoking weed. I know a LOT of sorry people who have never taken a single toke. I can promise you if you hired those guys they wouldn't last a week in your deptartment. On the other hand I know a lot of good hard working pot smokers who have a high work ethic and care about their quiality of life.

I'm not sure what you mean by "selfish fools". If your saying that people who smoke come to work high and have no consideration for anything you're just plain wrong man. Thats like saying a guy who has a beer on occation while watching a football game should be lumped in with full blow drunks who have had several DUI's. Everything in moderation. There is nothing wrong with having a drink or smoking some weed on occation if your responsable about it.

T'Challa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to call someone else out here in this thread, I wanted to ask Kelmo how he feels about the fact that he drinks/smokes and at the same time works in the restaurant industry, which in many ways is also taking people's lives into one's own hands. Undercook a chicken patty, or fail to recognize a piece of beef gone over (don't tell me it doesn't happen, I've worked in numerous restaurants too Kelmo :p) and serve it to an old lady and she'll be dead before the weekend if the salmonella bug hits.

How is this any different from smoking/drinking and driving? Sure, you regulate it to your days off or after a particularly hard day, but according to folks like yourself and Castor, this sort of practice should be condemned.

I only ask you because you decided to participate in the thread instead of just "watching over it" as you usually do (the EYE! ARRRRGH!!)