• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Anyone else having Lag issues since latest Patch?

Bsrlin

Adventurer
I am having bad lag...characters stop/freeze while running for .75 to 1.5 seconds at a time, then begin again, and occasionally slight rubber-banding. All started since the latest patch. No problems prior, and I haven't changed any settings, options, etc. I am on Napa Valley, and there are no other players around, and happens as much in town with NPC's around as it does out in the woods. I am using the Enhanced Client.

Is anyone else having issues like this of late, or is it just me?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have noticed a few lag spikes on Pacific on CC. It seems to be a shard wide thing too as when they've hit, others have complained in general chat at exactly the same time. Not sure if it is the patch or maybe a hiccup with the servers interacting with the sovereigns store stuff or just some new network issue that's come up.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Has happened a few times on Atlantic. Asked in gen chat just to see if it was me or other were having the same problem, a few said they were getting the spikes at that time as well. CC here though.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am having bad lag...characters stop/freeze while running for .75 to 1.5 seconds at a time, then begin again, and occasionally slight rubber-banding. All started since the latest patch. No problems prior, and I haven't changed any settings, options, etc. I am on Napa Valley, and there are no other players around, and happens as much in town with NPC's around as it does out in the woods. I am using the Enhanced Client.

Is anyone else having issues like this of late, or is it just me?

Same as you, bad lag, freezes, frame skipping rubber banding very very bad to where I have told my guildmates, go without me and I could flat outrun all of them before this. And also same as you, started with publish and is most severe in the pit and at the bosses but once it starts it's everywhere. No changes, no programs installed, running a pretty hefty comp and video card with all drivers updated. When I first get online there is no lag and as I get into more populated places, especially with casting monsters, it just gets unbearable. Never had this before in the last 5 years so I don't know what to do. I have the same problem on my laptop so it is not just this comp. Running EC with Pinco's but laptop does the same with CC.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same here, especially when entering Monster places or instances peerless' lairs.

Morbeous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
A lot more lag than usual. Sometimes it seems like im stuck in glue!!! Im on Europa

vasagi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, and yep, and yep.
On napa, playing EC with Pinco's. Massive lag in the pits, its all I can do to stay alive on a char that should not have an issue down there. Can barely move 2 squares. Same thing in New Haven training resist with a bunch of spellcasters trailing me. Only thing that has helped it is using EC without Pincos.. which I really, really miss!

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Same. EC w/ Pincos is unplayable - lag so bad I can't move in the pits or anywhere where there are a good amount of MOBs. EC default is much better but still laggy at times. I haven't tried the CC since I haven't installed it on my latest 2 computers. Definitely something going on some where!

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i am not getting lag, but i am getting the Dc and Sync error constantly. makes it tough to do much other than talk in GC and Craft

Bsrlin

Adventurer
To any Veteran Players reading this: what is best way to report something like this?

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Kyronix Will you please look into this? It's not just EC and it's not just the few folks who are complaining in here. My guild members who are all in CC are lagging horrible in mob heavy areas. It's not just in those areas either, once I get it, it seems to follow me and lessens but is still rubber bandy and laggy to the start-stop problem even if I go to the bank after the encounter. Please help, it just ain't fun this way.

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, I am lagging all weekend. Try soloing Blackthorne captains with them literally skipping across the screen. Or dying 3 times in 30 min because everytime hit lightning goes off on your weapon the screen freezes for 1-2 seconds as you are trying to run away due to low health & the mob double strikes you during the hit lighting lag.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Same here.

EC + Pinco = unplayable
EC default = better bit still DC and lag
CC = a notch better than plain EC

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix Will you please look into this? It's not just EC and it's not just the few folks who are complaining in here. My guild members who are all in CC are lagging horrible in mob heavy areas. It's not just in those areas either, once I get it, it seems to follow me and lessens but is still rubber bandy and laggy to the start-stop problem even if I go to the bank after the encounter. Please help, it just ain't fun this way.
Those having issues can you please provide exact information on what shard is having the issue, what time lag occurred, duration of lag period, traceroute to the server during the time period, and any other useful information. This is the information @Bleak will need to figure out the cause of the issue.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Those having issues can you please provide exact information on what shard is having the issue, what time lag occurred, duration of lag period, traceroute to the server during the time period, and any other useful information. This is the information @Bleak will need to figure out the cause of the issue.
Shard: Atlantic and Europa are the only ones I really play.
Time: It will start off fine then after maybe 20 minutes+ it will start to slow down and feels like a massive drop in performance / drops in FPS / lag.
Duration: Until I restart the client then the above happens again.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kept hitting me on GL last night lag, slow to a crawl, freeze and either DC or have to kill the client and restart. Using CC, tried the EC and it was way worse like move 3 steps stop for 2-3 seconds move 3 steps and freeze then crash. Lasted from about 8pm-10:30pm CST and then all was fine and has been fine the couple of times I have logged in this morning and this afternoon.

Last edited:

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Bleak Exactly as DJAd says plus some of my additional info
I am on Sonoma

Time: It will start off fine then after maybe 20 minutes+ it will start to slow down and feels like a massive drop in performance / drops in FPS / lag / major rubber banding / major frame skipping.
Duration: Until I restart the client then the above happens again.

Time of day does not matter.

I am running EC Pinco but I also use CC and it is the same so it is not Pinco nor the EC.

I'd send you a tracert but you'd just say "geez, he should lag from there" so I'll skip that, but I've been playing for the last 4 years being able to outrun or keep pace with my guildmates, no lag at mob bosses, very little lag at EM Events with 100 folks and dozens of drags, etc.

Just trust me it has changed from before the publish, it doesn't seem to be a memory thing, my ram usage is same as before this, I dump memory when I'm lagging and no difference whatsoever but I'm running 16G and I never show more than 29% usage so shouldn't be an issue anyhow. The game was just fine before this publish.

And just for your info so you don't think this is an equipment problem for all of us................I run Win10, i7 - 4790K Intel Processor, Gigabyte gaming motherboard, 16G ram, SSD hard drives X2, EVGA GTX960 Video card. Oh, and the game was just fine before this publish.

Please help us to find out what happened, this is game breaking, if it doesn't change, I, for one, will have no choice but to quit playing and I'm not trying to make a threat, just that this is so severe that it makes the game impossible to play for me.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The lag issue I have is only after running Pincos UI after 15-20 mins, until then it's fine. I disable Pinco's and the lag goes away. I don't use the New Properties style (never cared for it). I think it has something to do with how he handles the Mobiles but I'm not sure.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bouncing around, rubberbanding, and short freezes still on Legends. Mostly in the CC

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't understand why this isn't fixed........no on second thought, I guess I do. It's one of those "blame game" things, where one blames another, like when you call your ISP about a problem and they say it's you or your equipment. I sure hope Pinco or Bleak, one of them, finds what's wrong and fixes it soon. The rubber banding, sync thing is on all 3 clients but Pinco's is really totally unplayable for me in most instances, I can thunt with it without a problem for some time, then the problems seem to slowly catch up, but if i play my archer and head anywhere near anything just "somewhat" taxing, I lag, rubber band, have the syncing problem and then crash. I can play the EC default for hours with only the rubber banding and sync problem. Please guys, I don't give a crap about whose fault it is, just please fix it.

Enziet

Journeyman
Oh Sweet Baby Jesus!! It's so Ugly get it away! 3D Client yuk!!

On a serious note, I do agree. I play on the classic client most of the time and have noticed more rubber banding than usual. It's not game breaking, as the client only runs at a super low FPS anyways.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The lag issue I have is only after running Pincos UI after 15-20 mins, until then it's fine. I disable Pinco's and the lag goes away. I don't use the New Properties style (never cared for it).
Exactly the same as me.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has anyone got any ideas on what is causing this yet?

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have disabled everything that I can think of and have read to do, all at one time and one group at a time, nothing helps. Are we done with Pinco's? I love all the niceties and they are invaluable in game, I sure hate to lose it. Default is just toast because you lose the loot sort, scavenge, customize desktop capabilities, etc etc etc. At my wit's end, does it on all of my templates and nothing seems to change it. Frustrated to the nth degree.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bleak posted this in the Pinco's UI thread:

The Publish 93 EC update only added support for the in-game store generic gump which allows tool-tips to be displayed for larger templated buttons and a fix for GenericGumpLabelResizeTemplate not correctly displaying text. Please send in/post screenshots or videos of your Default interface when you are experiencing lag along with the server and time so that I may determine whether or not your issue is client or server related. It would also be good to know if your lag exist when you remove all UI elements(L-shift+A). We are committed to fixing bugs with the EC and supporting the custom UI community. Send screenshots to [email protected].
The more people send in reports, not just post about it here, the sooner it might get resolved...

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem is I'm not having lag with normal EC, it's only with Pincos and that doesn't happen for about 20 mins of playing. I turned off the You See in Chat Section for the User Settings like he suggested but that didn't really help.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bleak posted this in the Pinco's UI thread:

The more people send in reports, not just post about it here, the sooner it might get resolved...
The powers that be just seem to be turning the other cheek on this, do they think this is a problem for only a few of us? How hard is it to replicate, good grief. I am not a technician nor am I going to a lot of work for a game I pay for and that which I am not prepared mentally nor computer knowledgable to send them.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem is I'm not having lag with normal EC, it's only with Pincos and that doesn't happen for about 20 mins of playing. I turned off the You See in Chat Section for the User Settings like he suggested but that didn't really help.
I'm only getting it with Pinco UI. I have also disabled the "you see" and the mobiles, overhead text and it still happens. :(

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The powers that be just seem to be turning the other cheek on this, do they think this is a problem for only a few of us? How hard is it to replicate, good grief. I am not a technician nor am I going to a lot of work for a game I pay for and that which I am not prepared mentally nor computer knowledgable to send them.
:rolleyes2:

Let's break this down.

The BS dev team is 5 people, at least two of whom we know don't code. This leaves Bleak the only one in charge of client issues. ONE PERSON.

Pinco, the one who created the UI we all use, is also ONE PERSON.

Something was changed in the client for Pub 93 that causes Pinco's to slow to a crawl after about 20 mins, but it doesn't happen (much) in the default UI. Nobody seems to know what is causing it, and neither BS or Pinco have the ability to test multiple combinations of things to pin it down.

That's where WE come in. The players have always been UO's testers and we always will be. We don't need a doctorate in computer science to run down the ideas that have been put forth by Bleak and Pinco. If you're stubbornly determined to whine about the problem without lifting a finger to help, don't expect people to be overly sympathetic.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Considering the factor "doesn't happen before 20 minutes of playing", this is likely due to a memory leak.
I'd check the memory usage on task manager (ctrl+shift+esc to bring it up) and them ask for Pinco if there is a debug command on his UI to check for orphan objects that weren't properly disposed of.

I could check for it, but I will only resume playing in around a month from now.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Considering the factor "doesn't happen before 20 minutes of playing", this is likely due to a memory leak.
I'd check the memory usage on task manager (ctrl+shift+esc to bring it up) and them ask for Pinco if there is a debug command on his UI to check for orphan objects that weren't properly disposed of.

I could check for it, but I will only resume playing in around a month from now.
@Pinco

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:rolleyes2:

Let's break this down.

The BS dev team is 5 people, at least two of whom we know don't code. This leaves Bleak the only one in charge of client issues. ONE PERSON.

Pinco, the one who created the UI we all use, is also ONE PERSON.

Something was changed in the client for Pub 93 that causes Pinco's to slow to a crawl after about 20 mins, but it doesn't happen (much) in the default UI. Nobody seems to know what is causing it, and neither BS or Pinco have the ability to test multiple combinations of things to pin it down.

That's where WE come in. The players have always been UO's testers and we always will be. We don't need a doctorate in computer science to run down the ideas that have been put forth by Bleak and Pinco. If you're stubbornly determined to whine about the problem without lifting a finger to help, don't expect people to be overly sympathetic.
Well.....excuuuuuse me if I expect a game that I pay for and a UI that I have contributed more for than UOAssist to work right and get fixed when something is wrong.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well.....excuuuuuse me if I expect a game that I pay for and a UI that I have contributed more for than UOAssist to work right and get fixed when something is wrong.
They've said they will fix it, they're simply requesting help to figure out what is going wrong. Since neither side (BS or Pinco) is flush with excess people/resources/cash, I think its a reasonable request of the community.

Now, were this Blizzard or BioWare, I'd laugh in their face and give them the finger.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They've said they will fix it, they're simply requesting help to figure out what is going wrong. Since neither side (BS or Pinco) is flush with excess people/resources/cash, I think its a reasonable request of the community.

Now, were this Blizzard or BioWare, I'd laugh in their face and give them the finger.
I understand and sympathize with them, however it makes the game unplayable for some of us and I'm old and grouchy with stuff that don't work, but if it is just a tiny few of us having these problems then OK, I guess we'll just have to work around it but I believe it affects a large percentage of EC and Pinco users.

However, I would think that as many problems as were posted in fair detail here and on Pinco's thread and what they did to try to help analyze them and especially DJAd, they would have a fairly good picture of it and they would find the culprit code. I'm still hoping. I have personally changed every setting suggested and tried everything that I know to try to figure where the lag comes from but I still have no clue. No matter what I turn off and on, it remains the same. The thing that we do know for a fact is it came from this publish and is not a total Pinco problem.

Last edited:

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

How much memory should it take? Mine is around 800 to 900 Mb and it has been that way since I first started playing UO EC, I've only seen it go above the 1G mark a very few times and then just slightly and I have never seen my memory usage go above 35% total usage. I would think with the amount of memory most of us have anymore that would be acceptable but I'm not a technician so my opinion really doesn't matter.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
I play Europa, use EC Client, well if I log out in Shadowguard, when I log back in the whole game crashes, Tried it on 5 comps, ranging from oldish to extremely new 5k PC system and they all crashed and got stuck when logging in. Had to log into the horrible CC client to move the char and be able to relog with EC.
But Shadowguard dosnt seem to be the only problematic place, also if you have lots of deco in your house, when I logs in, tries to load it all and the game glitches or has a slight freeze for like 5 seconds. Thats my grain of sand.
I know a guildie that everytime we go into Belfry, he gets DC, same goes for some peerless bosses rooms

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Going in the pitt for me with Pincos running is a death sentance, can barely move, running in eodon also presents a problem, i haven't really bothered logging in the last few days as playing in a quagmire isn't much fun.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can't say that I have seen any 'fix' for this lag, not been able to actually play for the past week as each time I log in it just lags lags lags and is not fun to play, has anyone else's game improved or is it just me? Considering closing my accounts if I can't play. Been struggling as it is for reasons to play given all the total grind fest's the last few publishes have introduced, grinding while being lagged to hell isn't making it any easier.