• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Aedon for Governor of Yew

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It has come to my attention that though the crown has offered aid to the outlying towns and villages, that the fair city of Yew seems to still be in need of aid. I would like to offer to take on the task of speaking for, and helping the good folks of the area.

As Governor, I would work tirelessly to aid the citizens in fix up and repair of the many buildings left in disrepair by the long blight which plagued the area.

I would also seek to open trade agreements not only with crafters guilds, but also offer the resources Yew has in abundance to other areas in trade for the items our fair town needs most.

As a long time resident of the Glade of Aegis, and former member of the Knights of Yew you will know that my passion and aim is to further the fortunes and general welfare of the people who call Yew home.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well apparently Aedon if you do not shell out $2 million a week for your city's trade deal NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO you'll be told you are a bad governor and need to be replaced. No matter how many events you hold to bring people to the shard and make it fun for folks, no matter how many things you do to help the city, or to help clean it up, or attend all the meetings, or help raise awareness for the writers of the shard, or help cities that go unrepresented on the official council... which helped us get some clean up to Serpent's Hold... NOPE. Its all on you to pay that $2 million a week, so if you do not play every day and go hunt and sell stuff in Luna for ridiculous prices (which no one buys because they transfer stuff from ATL anyways) and pay so EVERYONE else can get a buff you DO NOT EVEN USE yourself.... you're a bad Governor before you are even elected.

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well apparently Aedon if you do not shell out $2 million a week for your city's trade deal NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO you'll be told you are a bad governor and need to be replaced. No matter how many events you hold to bring people to the shard and make it fun for folks, no matter how many things you do to help the city, or to help clean it up, or attend all the meetings, or help raise awareness for the writers of the shard, or help cities that go unrepresented on the official council... which helped us get some clean up to Serpent's Hold... NOPE. Its all on you to pay that $2 million a week, so if you do not play every day and go hunt and sell stuff in Luna for ridiculous prices (which no one buys because they transfer stuff from ATL anyways) and pay so EVERYONE else can get a buff you DO NOT EVEN USE yourself.... you're a bad Governor before you are even elected.
I think you may be taking someone campaigning against you to personal, even if they're saying things that are untrue they have as much right as you to run for governor of Britain, I'm assuming here, and if full coffers is the primary issue and not events and people feel he can fulfill their wants better than you it is quite possible he will win. That's democracy.

I just wrote I support him cause I Hate Vampires and Undead in general and Werewolves and I'm not to fond of elves, and those weird hybrid people that occasionally come up need to die. I pretty much hate anyone that's not human.

Last edited:

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

I will attempt to respond to this open, honestly, and as a neutral. I admit that its not very fair to have the full responsibility of city funding on the shoulders of the governor. However, as it stands it IS the full responsibility of the governor. Not everyone enjoys the RP elements of the governor system, but almost everyone enjoys the city buffs. As stated earlier, it is a campaign. That is part of being elected... being voted in. I don't think its fair to claim that all you have done hasn't been appreciated. But not everyone enjoys stand around and talk events. I feel the things you have done have only been noticed and appreciated by the small group of RPers. I have seen many governors approach in a very interactive approach, with very interactive events, competitions, and challenges. This appeals to more people then JUST the RP crowd. Some other governors have had events and hunts for the soul purpose of funding the city buffs.

I would advise instead of taking the competition personal, perhaps use it as a learning experience to learn what the other (non rping) citizens of Britain want and need. Build a counter campaign. That is, after all, the purpose of being elected. Whoever appeals to the majority of actives will win!

Just my two cents...

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Not gonna pick apart your post Pandy, but the governor has ONE job that is most important, and that is selecting and utilizing the trade deal for the city that is requested by his or her people. You complain about the cost. If you are unwilling to come out of your own pocket and are unable to raise the funds through drives (events) then yes, you should step down and allow someone else to take the reigns. "Raising awareness for the writers of the shard" or "Cleaning up Serpents Hold" isn't exactly part of the Governor of Britain's list of jobs. In fact, there's nothing that is preventing you from doing these things outside of the governorship. Hold events! Have fun! Bring people to the shard! All fantastic and fun things. They are also all things that can be done by anyone, anytime. The trade deal weighs heavily in the Governor's duties. There's no one else that can do the trade deal. So when someone asks their Governor about it, it should be a very big and important part of keeping that citizen happy. Many Governors even ask on their bulletin boards which trade deal their people would like to see. Others, get with the other Governors and try to have a good selection of different ones to choose from so that everyone will have what they need. So yes, while running fun events and helping raise awareness of writing talent is a fantastic thing, the Governors duty to his or her people remains with the trade deals. It is the biggest thing in a Governor's role that touches the most people.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It has come to my attention that though the crown has offered aid to the outlying towns and villages, that the fair city of Yew seems to still be in need of aid. I would like to offer to take on the task of speaking for, and helping the good folks of the area.

As Governor, I would work tirelessly to aid the citizens in fix up and repair of the many buildings left in disrepair by the long blight which plagued the area.
Well Said Aedon! We need many fine governors if we are to keep the lands and people of Sosaria safe from the abounding evils of blight, hunger, poverty, vampires and the ever looming threat of the Cocoa Bird Daemon.

My poor Auntie Hisselhorf has called Yew her home since i was but a lad. While i was out of country i received word that her thatch roof had become damaged by the blight, leaving a vampire sized hole. One night a bloodthirsty fiend snuck in, biting the tail of one of Auntie's 57 cats before she could dipatch the pale skinned nightwalker back out the hole with her fry pan. Auntie's roof has since been repaired after that nightmare, yet her neighbors and townsmen are still at risk. They will be relieved to hear aid is soon to arrive!

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well Said Aedon! We need many fine governors if we are to keep the lands and people of Sosaria safe from the abounding evils of blight, hunger, poverty, vampires and the ever looming threat of the Cocoa Bird Daemon.

My poor Auntie Hisselhorf has called Yew her home since i was but a lad. While i was out of country i received word that her thatch roof had become damaged by the blight, leaving a vampire sized hole. One night a bloodthirsty fiend snuck in, biting the tail of one of Auntie's 57 cats before she could dipatch the pale skinned nightwalker back out the hole with her fry pan. Auntie's roof has since been repaired after that nightmare, yet her neighbors and townsmen are still at risk. They will be relieved to hear aid is soon to arrive!
*falls out of chair laughing*

Ah tis such a shame to think of your poor auntie and her many feline friends enduring such hardships. I have yet to find holes of that shape in my roof, but I do believe there may be one of about that size in my back door. It is my intention to plug all such holes and and bandage the tails of any kitties who may be once bitten, but twice shy.

Sennah T' Nae

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
With how well you did with Aegis back when Catskills had more players I think you would do a great job at governor of Yew Aedon!!

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya'all know Aedon is well above the age limit of governorship right?

Judas D'arc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good luck Aedon, I think you'll do a great job.

On a side note (and maybe this isn't the best thread for this side note), I'm curious how many cities actually have active trade deals at the moment and how important they really are to people? I do think they're relevant, but I also think they're only part of what a governor can bring to the table. In my experience, the most successful governor I've seen has been Governor Khaleesi of Vesper on the Atlantic shard, who is sadly retiring after her third term. While she's certainly been consistent with keeping up the trade deals during the past 9 months, I think her biggest accomplishments have been creating a town and running a variety of different events that appeal to both role-player and non-role-player alike, creating relationships with other towns, and also fully embracing the RP aspects of the governor system. And this is coming from someone whose play-style tends to skew towards hard-core role-playing and rather enjoys the talking-centric events. Anyway, that's just my opinion (and from someone who hasn't been back on Catskills for more than a few months), and not meant at all meant as a slight to all the hard-working governors on this shard and others.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

On a side note (and maybe this isn't the best thread for this side note), I'm curious how many cities actually have active trade deals at the moment and how important they really are to people? I do think they're relevant, but I also think they're only part of what a governor can bring to the table. In my experience, the most successful governor I've seen has been Governor Khaleesi of Vesper on the Atlantic shard, who is sadly retiring after her third term. While she's certainly been consistent with keeping up the trade deals during the past 9 months, I think her biggest accomplishments have been creating a town and running a variety of different events that appeal to both role-player and non-role-player alike, creating relationships with other towns, and also fully embracing the RP aspects of the governor system. And this is coming from someone whose play-style tends to skew towards hard-core role-playing and rather enjoys the talking-centric events. Anyway, that's just my opinion (and from someone who hasn't been back on Catskills for more than a few months), and not meant at all meant as a slight to all the hard-working governors on this shard and others.
I think to much of the RP community town trade deals are meaningless. We mostly concern ourselves with the RP sort of trade between our towns. For instance, I can offer to trade lumber to Thom in exchange for ore or granite. This will serve out towns well but will have no effect on say Flutter other than she can knock over our caravans and take the goodies for herself.

But as a Governor of a UO city, you are not only serving the RP community, but the entire player base. Those who are more into Hunting, and PVP will benefit from some of the buffs that the trade deals offer.

Last edited:

Judas D'arc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But as a Governor of a UO city, you are not only serving the RP community, but the entire player base. Those who are more into Hunting, and PVP will benefit from some of the buffs that the trade deals offer.
That's why I'm curious how much they're actually offered and utilized. Maybe there should be a running list of some kind so people can know? On Atlantic, it seems to be considered a sin not to have one, but I've noticed cities without them here. And even as a role-player, I've always made active use of trade buffs when they're available because I hunt a fair amount and like to pay attention to numbers. Especially that sweet Guild of Assassins one.

I just make sure to say "Thee" and "Thou" to NPC monsters, and emote things at them before they die.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

Sir, please get with me. I have word from my sister Ouija that she may be interested in running another term as the Skara Brae Governor. She wishes to know if any find guardians were wanting to throw their hats into the ring, as she'd be proud to back anyone of substantial value to the city.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
That's why I'm curious how much they're actually offered and utilized. Maybe there should be a running list of some kind so people can know? On Atlantic, it seems to be considered a sin not to have one, but I've noticed cities without them here. And even as a role-player, I've always made active use of trade buffs when they're available because I hunt a fair amount and like to pay attention to numbers. Especially that sweet Guild of Assassins one.

I just make sure to say "Thee" and "Thou" to NPC monsters, and emote things at them before they die.
The buffs are very important, although I usually waited for someone to ask for one before just randomly selecting something that I would only use myself.
Since the player-base is so small on Catksills it is important to provide a variety so I usually would get with the other Governors to make sure I wasn't duplicating a buff that someone could get in another city.
I am a strange cross-breed of pvper, pvmer, solo player, spawn doer, rare collecting, role playing creature. I see a lot of what happens and know my fair share of people from all play styles. Some like me, some not so much (and that is ok). Everyone in any playstyle can use a buff. I think a lot of people are unaware of the buffs, don't understand how to utilize them, or sometimes just forget completely.

Judas D'arc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sir, please get with me. I have word from my sister Ouija that she may be interested in running another term as the Skara Brae Governor. She wishes to know if any find guardians were wanting to throw their hats into the ring, as she'd be proud to back anyone of substantial value to the city.
Flutter, expect an ICQ add request from me later today.

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Trinsic has offered trade deals in the past and it's something I was looking to start offering again. The problem with them is the cost. It's a bit much for a lot of people to handle.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Trinsic has offered trade deals in the past and it's something I was looking to start offering again. The problem with them is the cost. It's a bit much for a lot of people to handle.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk
Pfft... you know I'm buying up all your stuff, don't even pretend. Go dig up some more tmaps. You can afford it.

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pfft... you know I'm buying up all your stuff, don't even pretend. Go dig up some more tmaps. You can afford it.
Yes ma'am! But... I said that mostly for the ones that your not buying up all their stuff :p

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hunts and the like are great ways to for a city to gain the funds for trade deals. The last event for Moonglow alone brought in *7* Million gold revenue for the city.
4 Went to trade deals, 3 went to the Zoo. Gotta keep that Tier 11!

While events geared primarily towards RP'ers may not appeal to others, they can still be fun. Don't hesitate, come on out and see for yourself. ;)
Likewise, hunts might not seem fun to some RP'ers. But the challenge is what makes it fun.

Regardless... If people -really- want trade deals, donate to the city. Simple. ;) Or become a citizen of another city that does deals often.

Last edited:

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hunts and the like are great ways to for a city to gain the funds for trade deals. The last event for Moonglow alone brought in *7* Million gold revenue for the city.
4 Went to trade deals, 3 went to the Zoo. Gotta keep that Tier 11!

While events geared primarily towards RP'ers may not appeal to others, they can still be fun. Don't hesitate, come on out and see for yourself. ;)
Likewise, hunts might not seem fun to some RP'ers. But the challenge is what makes it fun.

Regardless... If people -really- want trade deals, donate to the city. Simple. ;) Or become a citizen of another city that does deals often.
The Blow-up-ski has it right, offering events that draw in a wide group of folks can help raise funds. Thom does much the same with his fishing tourneys and markets. That and catering to Flutters growing thirst for maps. I have some plans for Yew that will take into account what the town has to offer. Mud and trees. Also we have wine and monks, but I have not figured out a good use for monks yet.

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you may be taking someone campaigning against you to personal, even if they're saying things that are untrue they have as much right as you to run for governor of Britain, I'm assuming here, and if full coffers is the primary issue and not events and people feel he can fulfill their wants better than you it is quite possible he will win. That's democracy.

I just wrote I support him cause I Hate Vampires and Undead in general and Werewolves and I'm not to fond of elves, and those weird hybrid people that occasionally come up need to die. I pretty much hate anyone that's not human.
Its not the "campaign" against an incumbent that she took issue with, it was more the personal attack on Britain and what Britain has done or hasn't done under her Governorship. There are various cities out there without trade deals going on not just Britain. My own city has no trade deal at the present time because I can't run events every week to raise the money. I RP... I don't PvM, I don't craft, I don't PvP... I just RP! So I am not as rich as others may be.

Understand that the if the Governorship system did not have this "bonus buff", we would still be actively a part of it. I do not think the majority of people that were complaining about the buff would give two flying monkeys if that was the case. Soooo in that sense, the Governorship system is in fact a primarily RP system and that's what we run with and since you must be "in character" to participate in the EM events focused solely on the Royal Council, like the meetings, the developers certainly support that belief. Anyone can run, no one is saying they can't. But this whole system was built on the premise of supporting role play... the buff thing is a side effect.

As far as you hating anything that isn't human.... I guess you wouldn't vote for bunnies either then!

~ Sue.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is no campaigning needed for gov's of uo, all you need to do is tell your friends to vote for you. This entire thread about city buff's is ridiculous. People that want buff's specifically should pony up the gold or stfu. Period!

Kodoz

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally, I think campaigning is a wonderful idea. It gives a good IC background to exactly what you intend to do, and could easily sway people who are not one of the candidates die hard voters to either side. And the way the system is designed is that if a governor is seen as not doing their job by the voters, they can be voted out. It's the entire purpose...otherwise we might as well just have whoever has the biggest guild wins the election every time, no?

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What'd I ever do to you to make you hate me? :frown2:
Lol Trav I could never hate you, but your dirty undead is a different story plus you were the best fight i had on Catskills, I remember going to fel until Va'lis showed up and made it a 2 v 1 against you. And it figured you skulk the board as much I do.

Last edited:

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is no campaigning needed for gov's of uo, all you need to do is tell your friends to vote for you. This entire thread about city buff's is ridiculous. People that want buff's specifically should pony up the gold or stfu. Period!
Thanks DC! :) That's all I was saying.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Campaigning is part of the fun of the whole thing.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally, I think campaigning is a wonderful idea. It gives a good IC background to exactly what you intend to do, and could easily sway people who are not one of the candidates die hard voters to either side. And the way the system is designed is that if a governor is seen as not doing their job by the voters, they can be voted out. It's the entire purpose...otherwise we might as well just have whoever has the biggest guild wins the election every time, no?
Or those that bribe their friends of other shards for votes on spare accounts. :D

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Going to have to put you two in time out at this rate. ;)

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love Flutter... as a person she's so cool. We argue ALL THE TIME.... its just how we've pretty much always been since DAY 1 of my return to UO! :D

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Real friends pay for your buffs. :D
Governors pay for the buffs, as I explained in a previous post. This is part of being the privilege of being Governor.
I wont get into an argument with you here on the forums. I have stated how I feel about the matter. Most people agree.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aedon for governor!! Hurrah! You have my vote!

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh and LOL @ complaining about having to spend 2m for a city buff. Most Gov's I know pay for the trade deals themselves, as a service to the players.

*Looks at the 1b I put on Atlantics City Stone*

God whoever becomes Governor after me will never have to complain about that 2m eh?

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Atlantic has a billion people to donate to it.... if you have the money, great. If I had the money I probably would, but I do not. I do my mining competition for Minoc because its my play style. Minoc is a miner and smith town, so that makes in character sense for me. When I raised the money for a buff I put up the Miner's trade deal because that aligns with my RP, but I don't know much about the buffs other than the posts I've seen on which one does what. I wouldn't know which one are the better ones to put in. But I just don't know what events to do for Minoc that will attract the millions needed to fund buffs for an entire term. How much is that by the way? Total?

~ Sue.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Going to say what, between 22 and 26 Million gold per term?

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to thank all you fine Role players for totally messing up my post. This post was about me deciding to run for office in Yew, not about who is and is not holding events, or bribing others to vote for them.