• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Abyss mini-champs just sitting there.

Shiznit Bo'Bourbon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
The same Renowned Pixie has been sitting in the Abyss on Atlantic all day. The spawn with the fairy dragons has been sitting at level 3 all day. Same with a few others. People farm imbuing materials and just leave when the boss pops, because nobody is that interested in a 1% chance at an artifact worth like 200k.

Yeah I can grind through the last of the previous spawn before farming my own imbuing mateirals, but the boss is supposed to be the culmination of a spawn. Not a big worthless lump you leave sitting there for the next sucker to waste their time on.

Make the bosses drop imbuing materials, or just have them despawn if no one kills them, or something. I dunno. When the boss is just some pile of crap speedbump that you abandon, SOMETHING isn't tuned right.

Felonious Monk

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The same Renowned Pixie has been sitting in the Abyss on Atlantic all day. The spawn with the fairy dragons has been sitting at level 3 all day. Same with a few others. People farm imbuing materials and just leave when the boss pops, because nobody is that interested in a 1% chance at an artifact worth like 200k.

Yeah I can grind through the last of the previous spawn before farming my own imbuing mateirals, but the boss is supposed to be the culmination of a spawn. Not a big worthless lump you leave sitting there for the next sucker to waste their time on.

Make the bosses drop imbuing materials, or just have them despawn if no one kills them, or something. I dunno. When the boss is just some pile of crap speedbump that you abandon, SOMETHING isn't tuned right.
Yep. I agree. Unraveling takes some of the sting out crap loot but not when it takes that much time to drop a boss as you've mentioned.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The bosses DO drop Imbuing ingredients... usually mining gems or lumberjacking extras. They can also drop any of the imbuing ingredients the normal spawn can drop as well.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah I agree, the artifact drop rate is way too low too.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It used to be worse... They used to have the basic loot table of the type of creature they were a Reknowned of... so imagine taking the 10+ minutes to kill one of the Ratmen Reknowneds only to get basic ratman loot.

At least now their loot tables are better...maybe not ideal, but better and they do include imbuing ingredients.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Problem is that they have trouble making artifacts in the post imbuing world, because generally with a few exceptions they are all worse to much worse than an imbued counterpart. Sure they have rare properties, or break the rules of property number or intensity, but the levels and combinations are rarely superior to something that is fairly cheaply made and easily replaceable via imbuing.

They didn't seem to anticipate the effect imbuing would have on monster loot, because since its inception of the 60 odd new artifacts that have been introduced only like 5 of them are valued at all.

5% Luck

I have been hearing about this pixi renowned since ive been back and I can honestly tell you I was dropping it my 2nd week back on a fresh account in under 2 mins witha boura and a wolf spider!??!?!

I just have a hard time seeing it being a problem!

The wyvren spawn on the otherhand does kill all my chars usually at least once per spawn though, it isnt as much a chore as a real champ spawn by far.

They also have seemingly dropped the farey dust drop from the pixi spawn a few weeks back. I was getting 25+ per round now its more in line with the other spawns at around 15. If a player can tolerate only gathering 15 farey dust and be happy well awesome more for me!

S

Sevin0oo0

Yeah I can grind through
While I certainly agree, and I've brought up about a renown inactivity timer before(to despawn it), I'm glad it just sits there. While You might enjoy a grind, it shows the rest of us are done w/ 30,000 hit point mobs. I personally do the same thing, run the spawn up, then dump it, (a few times I'll stay, rarely).
Grinds - NO Thanks

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They didn't seem to anticipate the effect imbuing would have on monster loot, because since its inception of the 60 odd new artifacts that have been introduced only like 5 of them are valued at all.
On one hand I can believe they didn't think about it based on the past 13 years. On the other hand they simply could have done what they thought they needed to to get the expansion sold. Some of us told them to limit imbuing to 3 or 4 traits instead of 5 because of the repercussions it would have in beta. Then again, we told them a lot of things in beta they ignored.

The renowns should drop 5 of their spawns signature ingredient. Period. I have done spawns, alone, beginning to end and ended up with like 4 ingredients. Sometimes this game roams the lands of ridiculous far too often. Simple things can have big impacts and if anyone that had any say in the design of the game actually played it we wouldn't see these types of things. Especially in new content.

5% Luck

Grind? Really? With all the possible damage that chars can do now a days I am personally surprised anyone is having trouble dishing enough out in pvm. I can see if your not using a slayer or maybe your farming with the char you use to imbue with but rarely does my dps drop below 100 in pvm. Thats 100 points a second!

IO know some of the rarer items can be expensive, especially for fey slayers but you sure can imbue a slayer easily or scribe a book slayer fairly cheap. I mean with 20k scrolls you should get most slayer books! @5 gold a scroll thats 100k. dirt cheap!

S

Sevin0oo0

Grind? Really?
I must be doing it wrong for sure - mystic rat renown: soul seeker, vermin slayer, dmg inc gloves,70's, hpr12+ & all that, 3-4 fairy dragons; 30+ mins later I'm still swinging, wondering if I should have brought an extra 100 aids - and this is After all the small spawn has been relocated

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On one hand I can believe they didn't think about it based on the past 13 years. On the other hand they simply could have done what they thought they needed to to get the expansion sold. Some of us told them to limit imbuing to 3 or 4 traits instead of 5 because of the repercussions it would have in beta. Then again, we told them a lot of things in beta they ignored.
Well that's obnoxious. If Imbuing had been limited to 3 properties it would still have been very useful, and monsters would still be worth hunting for items. You could even do something like allow 5 property creation but with a lot of difficulty.

I mean, how many people bought the expansion that WOULDN'T have bought it if you could only imbue 3 properties? It cant be many.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I must be doing it wrong for sure - mystic rat renown: soul seeker, vermin slayer, dmg inc gloves,70's, hpr12+ & all that, 3-4 fairy dragons; 30+ mins later I'm still swinging, wondering if I should have brought an extra 100 aids - and this is After all the small spawn has been relocated
The ratman spawn takes a long time. The bosses have 50k+ hps. Even though you can hit them 100+ damage a swing, it takes a long time to do 50k. All of the spawns take a while to farm, even the easy ones. Just running around taking out the spawn, even with near max dps then beating the boss, then waiting for the spawn to start again... you can only do so many in an hour, and the ratman one I don't see how you could do more than 3 in an hour and that's if you were really rocking.

F

Fayled Dhreams

The renowns should drop 5 of their spawns signature ingredient. Period. I have done spawns, alone, beginning to end and ended up with like 4 ingredients. Sometimes this game roams the lands of ridiculous far too often. Simple things can have big impacts and if anyone that had any say in the design of the game actually played it we wouldn't see these types of things. Especially in new content.
*nods*
design wise ... and with YEARS of IfThen having been played out
I'll here suggest:
They should have made >any value< of Any "new mob" and its associated spawn WORTHLESS (also worth less)
IF the mob is NOT defeated ...

You summon the great Evil of the Queen of girl friends past ...
And Don't Defeat HER?
all the other lot is reduced to the petty sand you deserve
Take HER down ahhhh ... Bonus !!!

As a matter of "newness"Should she be summoned and NOT put down
Should she not follow you around?
nagging and nagging and nagging and nagging and nagging and nagging and what did you call for?, why don't you care? You kill my pets and flee from me? whatsa matt...

*evil grin*

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Renowned should definitely NOT de-spawn. It is lame enough that every freaking mob is tethered these days. Leading things off screen to kill what oyu want in peace is one of UOs oldest tactics.

There's a renowned sitting somewhere alone, hey, free chance for an arti for you. They are all very easy, so shouldn't take long to take one down.

Shiznit Bo'Bourbon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Renowned should definitely NOT de-spawn. It is lame enough that every freaking mob is tethered these days. Leading things off screen to kill what oyu want in peace is one of UOs oldest tactics.

There's a renowned sitting somewhere alone, hey, free chance for an arti for you. They are all very easy, so shouldn't take long to take one down.
Thanks so much for solving this problem. There's no longer any need to change anything, since I'm sure everyone will read your snotty post and start killing bosses even though they otherwise don't want to.

Player behavior is what it is, not what you wish it would be.

P

pgib

I always kill renowned when i find one (checking that none is doing the spawn of course) but for the pixie 'cause it lowers karma.

Of all the mini-champ bosses, the ratmen are the worst: they are so boring to kill. My main char is a tamer-healer (and i wont build a sampire because it can kill everything faster, i'm a good old tamer) and with a greater dragon I need half an hour to take down one of them.

I think they designed the rats so even relatively new players could do the spawn but i don't know if the result is good. A short fight were you risks something is way more fun than a long (did i say boring?) endless bashing of a thing that barely scratches you.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Which would be the 5 only artifacts which are valued at all ?? And why would that be ?

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Breastplate of the Berserker and Tinker Legs for the 10 SSI on each
The rest I'm not sure on

S

Sevin0oo0

I think they designed the rats so even relatively new players could do the spawn but i don't know if the result is good.
A short fight were you risks something is way more fun than a long (did i say boring?) endless bashing of a thing that barely scratches you.
I'll tell you the result - dirt nap, speaking of... I actually Did fall asleep doing the Rat at the very bottom the other day, barely scratched too.
Mystic rat? a newbie won't survive, maybe wouldn't even get to the renown, period. I feel they designed it for a group, however, they don't know we didn't receive our 'groups'.
And don't blame it on 'Devs that don't play' - you mean Cal? - I'd bet money he has very very little to do w/ game design (he's Not a designer/dev, he does admin stuff)

What if they removed the 'leash' and added either a bounce-back or despawn, triggered by inactivity? I think that would satisfy most complaints that came in the past

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Which would be the 5 only artifacts which are valued at all ?? And why would that be ?
Breastplate of the berserker and the animated legs 10% ssi mainly, but also has other decent stats like DI an DCI.

Basilisk Hide Breastplate could fit into a suit but its nothing special, the weapons with splintering weapon could hold some interest.

Other than that the aprons, robes etc things you cant normally craft properties on are valuable too, but the reason people want those is obvious.

A handful of them are useful but since they are so hard to get, and the suit would have to be looking for something specific, imbued items are almost always favored.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think people will end up doing that no matter what. Keep in mind sometimes people will do one or two bosses then work up what they need and the next boss will be up, and at that point, they're like, F that, I'm not doing another one. It isn't polite, I'll give you that. But the best solution right now is to have a mystic. Rising Colossus is so OP. All you need to do is spam RCs and anything in this game will be dead.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Seems like the drop rate for artifacts is about 1%. For the amount of time it takes to complete a mini-champ and for the next to respawn, I think the drop rate should be around 5%. Then people will kill the renowns and adventure more in the abyss.

What I think is a better option is to overlay a doom-like point system for all mobs in the underground and abyss. You can still have your abysmal chance of getting a drop off the renowns, but then for every mob you kill you get points toward a random auto-drop.

P

pgib

What I think is a better option is to overlay a doom-like point system for all mobs in the underground and abyss. You can still have your abysmal chance of getting a drop off the renowns, but then for every mob you kill you get points toward a random auto-drop.
I vote for this.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Seems like the drop rate for artifacts is about 1%. For the amount of time it takes to complete a mini-champ and for the next to respawn, I think the drop rate should be around 5%. Then people will kill the renowns and adventure more in the abyss.

I agree with both of these points to be honest.

As it is now it really isn't worth doing the renowned bosses.

Also, if someone comes in at the very end just to attack the renowned, lower their chance of receiving the drop.

Shiznit Bo'Bourbon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I think they way overrated how much people were going to care about the unique SA properties. When you've got max resist/LRC/HCI/DCI on your imbued suit, who cares about Energy Eater or whatever?

S

Sevin0oo0

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned that if the spawn resets due to whatever reason, that the lower spawn levels is all many players would be doing. And what's wrong w/ that? least they're in there playing, That is the most important part.
It'll might get Crowded too. remember Bone knights, evil mages, bloods, elder gazers, daemon room, etc?
We played both Solo, and in a 'group' at the same time - we waited in line, and we had fun, and even made a few friends along the way.

P

pgib

I remember a thing like that but in a different place (six or seven years ago). It was in the spirituality dungeon, at the succubus lair. There were most of the times two or three players killing the succubus, sometimes soloing sometimes all together, waiting for the paragon and chatting in the meantime.

And guess what, it was not a five billions hit points thing dropping the ultimate sollerets of the armageddon in the middle of a cave crowded with spawn but a thing easily reachable that anyone could solo, giving somewhat useful items that people happily fought it in group when possible or solo if not.

The little things, oh beloved designers, the little things made this game a pleasure to play.

WildWobble

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is a bit anoying when i go to the cavern of the discarded and find all 3 of the bosses out waiting for me other then them the champs are all fairly easy to defeat

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Other than maybe the archer, the rat bosses aren't hard to beat, they just take a long time.

The normal (non-mage, non-archer) boss, once you have it down to just him, if you're melee, you can pretty much Honor the rat, get set up in a spot then find something else to do for a while. The mage is only slightly more dangerous and might take a bandage or two at the start, and the archer probably isn't all that bad (it's probably worse clearing out all of the other archers than dealing with the boss solo).

The only things the Cavern rats have are an absurd number of HP.

S

Sevin0oo0

... Other than maybe the archer, the rat bosses aren't hard to beat.
here's what I do for that - solo swords person on LS:
lure away the scorpions
repond (soul seeker), vermin slayer tally
kill 1st lvl
butcher knife - (for disarm special)
disarm 2nd lvl and kill w/ repond - I do a few at a time initially, drawing them over the bridge until I kill them all, until the boss shows up(disarm him too)
with no arrows flying, I take the boss East, kinda trap him behind the south end of the fence (keeps him from running away so easily) - keep him on the n side of you - whack away
the boss will Always respawn 1-2 scorpions near the end, which can/will come under the fence, no big deal.

MY problem is the mystic rat.

S

Sevin0oo0

I was down earlier, stirring up the ants (N side) and decided WTH, I'll do the fire renown. It kept me awake, and didn't really seem much tougher than a dragon in peak stats. Renown reward in the end:

enough gold to pay for my regs today and ONE parasitic plant!
Now I know why I usually don't do that one. I hear it's possible to get a good item, but RNG, like Luck is crap, I prefer a solid risk vs reward base.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All the renowned bosses are like that though from what I've observed.

Shiznit Bo'Bourbon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I've been killing the renowned pixie that's always sitting there so that the spawn will restart and I can farm faery dust. By the time I finish the spawn and the next renowned spawns... Well I'm not killing two of them, so when I leave there's still a renowned pixie sitting there.

The bosses are more of a block you have to overcome to START the spawn than the end of it.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The original doom system was the best. It kept things RARE, well that and the lack of geared players to successfully do anything at a speedy rate. Now if you do something a few times you're going to get something. Nothing's unique anymore. They may as well make a token that gives you w/e item your impatient little hands want on UOgamecodes $5.99.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The original Doom system was godawful.

I'm guessing you had gotten the stuff you needed and were fine with nobody else having it.

P

pgib

Doom system is great as it is now. The original one was a nightmare where people had to cooperate so that few could get their "unique" items.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Thanks so much for solving this problem. There's no longer any need to change anything, since I'm sure everyone will read your snotty post and start killing bosses even though they otherwise don't want to.

Player behavior is what it is, not what you wish it would be.
Uhh, he is 100% correct though.

How sad is it that ANYONE is complaining about this? Are you kidding me?

You can create a new character and farm alot of very valuable ingredients 3 days later and you are still complaining?
Because you are too lazy to kill the Renowned? A half-ass Sampy still kills one in no time.
Are you farming on a Tailor?

Bottom line is that no matter how much you give certain people they always want more :(
Just because Imbuing ingredients are still selling for way too much does not mean that the Renowned should give uber loot.

*shakes head*

Shiznit Bo'Bourbon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I've already said that I kill them when I find them, so that I can then farm the spawn I came for.

Why does some MMO masochist always have to crash these threads and try to make everything into some sort of moral issue about "lazy" video game players?

Nobody cares how lazy you think they are about fighting pixies on the internet. Period. Full stop. A billion angry puritanical posts to that effect will never make one more person want to kill a boss.

Do you think bosses SHOULD be left abandoned at the end of a spawn, so that someone else can be forced to clean it up before doing a fresh spawn? No? Then something needs to change. You're never going to lecture people into doing things they don't want to.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've already said that I kill them when I find them, so that I can then farm the spawn I came for.

Why does some MMO masochist always have to crash these threads and try to make everything into some sort of moral issue about "lazy" video game players?

Nobody cares how lazy you think they are about fighting pixies on the internet. Period. Full stop. A billion angry puritanical posts to that effect will never make one more person want to kill a boss.

Do you think bosses SHOULD be left abandoned at the end of a spawn, so that someone else can be forced to clean it up before doing a fresh spawn? No? Then something needs to change. You're never going to lecture people into doing things they don't want to.
Uhh, then why are you trying to do just that to the Devs?
Too funny.

Mook Chessy

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To all in this thread...please leave the bosses!

My Sammy drops any of them in under one minute.

Also to those people still wasting time in the Cavern of too many hit points. If you must do the spawn try a Tamer/Disco with a pack of Frenzied Ozzy...kills the Boss way fast.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
killing the champ boss is part of getting the rewards, so in this case the champ boss comes first.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There's a reward on like, 1 in every 50 renowned bosses. The single ML ingredient on each one doesn't count. It's faster to just use a miner/lumberjack/fisher for those.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They should make the mini champ spawn bosses drop 10 of the same essence that drops from the spawn its associated with.

all other drops should keep their current chances of dropping.

S

Sevin0oo0

They should make the mini champ spawn bosses drop 10 of the same essence that drops from the spawn its associated with.
I'd agree w/ that one. I think gold on the boss should be 1gp per hp, as it stands now it's simply, pathetic.

G

georgemarvin2001

I would agree with everybody who would prefer 10 of their respective ingredient EVERY TIME, instead of a microscopic chance at an item that we probably won't even want.

The ratman spawn probably needs some tweaking.

The AOS dev crew were the first to worship the RNG god to the exclusion of all other considerations. RNGs are the worst possible way to do things. They're the way for a very lazy, incompetent group of developers to do a hack job. A good dev will realize that when 100 players all go to the same amount of risk, they should all receive close to the same amount of reward.

Imbuing was the single greatest thing that UO has done in recent years; we can now make a suit that matches AND works. Before, we had to wear godawful piles of mismatched equipment that looked horrible if we wanted all 70s and the properties that we needed. As for the new artifacts, I do like the fact that the most useful of them are things like the cloaks, boots and such that we can't make, and are highly useful. I also like the fact that many of them are brittle; making things that never wear out and can never be lost or destroyed was one of the worst things UO ever did.

I remember when Doom first started. It was a lot of fun fighting there, but the loot table system was a total disaster. Tamers got the artifact 99.9% of the time, even though there were tons of mages and warriors fighting too. It was a total disaster, and a lot of people gave up even hunting in Doom, or just rage quit because of it. It was several months before they nerfed the tamer damage enough that everybody had a chance at an artifact. The current system is MUCH better than it was before.