• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Origin Store Sale

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
So I just happened to go to the Origin store to check out transfer tokens.

On the main page i see 30% OFF STOREWIDE (USE ORIGIN30 AT CHECKOUT)

So I'm thinking, nice this works out perfectly.

Select the token, applied the code and this happens......

upload_2016-5-25_18-39-23.png

Gee, thanks Origin Store.....

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I tried it to a different item like the forged metal tool and same thing happened.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
<looks at date> Nope ... not April Fools. Code had an expire date no one posted?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
promo_origin30_txtimgpromo_en_US_v1.jpg
The fine print:
*THIS OFFER IS BEING ISSUED TO YOU FOR PROMOTIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A CREDIT, CHARGE, DEBIT OR GIFT CARD. OFFER EXPIRES MAY 31, 2016 10:00 AM PDT. VALID FOR NEW PURCHASES FROM THE ORIGIN STORE AT www.origin.com AND THE ORIGIN CLIENT SOFTWARE (www.origin.com/about). VALUE OF DISCOUNT WILL BE DEDUCTED FROM PRODUCT LIST PRICE AT TIME OF PURCHASE. EXCLUDES STAR WARS™: THE OLD REPUBLIC™, PRE-ORDERS, SELECT PARTNER TITLES DISTRIBUTED BY ORIGIN, VIRTUAL CURRENCY, GAME TIME CODES AND SUBSCRIPTIONS. VALID WHEREVER PRODUCTS ARE SOLD. SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY. MAY NOT BE COMBINED WITH ANY OTHER PROMOTIONAL OR DISCOUNT OFFER, UNLESS EXPRESSLY AUTHORIZED BY EA; MAY NOT BE COMBINED WITH ANY PREPAID CARD REDEEMABLE FOR THE APPLICABLE CONTENT. OFFER MAY NOT BE SUBSTITUTED, EXCHANGED, SOLD OR REDEEMED FOR CASH OR OTHER GOODS OR SERVICES. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR APPLICABLE SALES TAX. RETAILERS, DISTRIBUTORS AND EMPLOYEES OF ELECTRONIC ARTS INC. AND THEIR AGENCIES/AFFILIATES ARE NOT ELIGIBLE. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED, TAXED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. SEE APPLICABLE END USER LICENSE AGREEMENTS AND DISCLOSURES ON Electronic Arts Online Disclosures for PC Games.

I highlighted the bit of text that I'm sure would allow them to wiggle out of what could be a bait-and-switch charge brought against them...though one could probably successfully argue that UO tokens and such aren't "titles distributed by Origin."

Either way, it continues to make Origin look like greedy a-holes.

Were I @Mesanna, I'd be ticked that my subscribers were left out in the cold again - regardless of the fact the in-game store is set to go live next week.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I tried it with a legacy token, got the "promo code does not apply" message, didn't buy it

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Doesn't matter if they put everything on sale...they will just run out of stock.

Soon as the sale is over...the stock gets magically replenished. Remember folks!?

Never buying an item from that site until they do a 50% off...

The irony is that if they actually lowered prices on some of these items, they would in all likelihood sell more volume.

Many items on the store are overpriced.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Doesn't matter if they put everything on sale...they will just run out of stock.

Soon as the sale is over...the stock gets magically replenished. Remember folks!?

Never buying an item from that site until they do a 50% off...

The irony is that if they actually lowered prices on some of these items, they would in all likelihood sell more volume.

Many items on the store are overpriced.
I'm okay with them running out, at least they gave a shot at it.

But for now EA appears to be holding up two middle fingers at Ultima Online.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Honestly I get tired of this kind of stuff.

It is a rather simple communications thing between BS, Origin, and the player base.

Setting then blowing these kinds of expectations really effects Broadsword in a negative way.

@Kyronix tagged because I know you are watching several times a day. Don't need your reply here but do need your follow throught on this in your next team meeting.

Thank you

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
there is a post today on patchpage about taking down something that may have to do with this.

EDIT; it might of been a good idea if they let people know about this ahead of time, not the day it will happen. just my opinion. lol. it doesn't affect me but may affect others.

Last edited:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I would suggest not buying any codes right now anyway ;)

Greetings everyone,
Today (5/26/2016) at approximately 5 pm EDT we will taking down the Promotional Code Redemption Warehouse in preparation of setting up the Ultima Online In-Game store. The warehouse will be down until May 31st when we publish Pub 93 to all shards.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
UO Team

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
there is a post today on patchpage about taking down something that may have to do with this
5 days to go until the in-game store.

I hope it turns out to be as promising as it sounds.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would suggest not buying any codes right now anyway ;)

Greetings everyone,
Today (5/26/2016) at approximately 5 pm EDT we will taking down the Promotional Code Redemption Warehouse in preparation of setting up the Ultima Online In-Game store. The warehouse will be down until May 31st when we publish Pub 93 to all shards.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
UO Team
As a MOD could you make this a separate NEWS feed and is there anyway to find out if this also affects the Account Management Page and inputting codes there as well. That would really suck if they make it where people can't upgrade their accounts or resub for the next 5 days.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Stratics RSS feed from uo.com will pull it through, sometimes it takes a bit but it will show up as it's own NEWS post.

As far as affecting account management...this is just the promo code warehouse....inputting a code into the game...which is where the in-game store will be....so I can't see that affecting account management....but don't quote me on that.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is anyone really surprised ? I mean, are you Really ? I fully expect this ingame store to be a big joke as well. Of course I'll eat my skullcap if I'm wrong . :)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is anyone really surprised ? I mean, are you Really ? I fully expect this ingame store to be a big joke as well. Of course I'll eat my skullcap if I'm wrong . :)
Care to explain why you think it is a joke. If it allows you to buy anything offered that requires a code to claim in-game then they have saved the players time waiting for their codes to arrive in e-mail form and having to enter a code.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Personally, I think it would have been much better to just allow people to buy the items directly from the in-game store, rather than buy another currency to spend on the items from the store. Unless there's going to be a way to turn gold into Sovereigns... If not, what's the point in adding sovereigns?

Maybe there will be a more detailed explanation of this when the publish comes out.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally, I think it would have been much better to just allow people to buy the items directly from the in-game store, rather than buy another currency to spend on the items from the store. Unless there's going to be a way to turn gold into Sovereigns... If not, what's the point in adding sovereigns?

Maybe there will be a more detailed explanation of this when the publish comes out.
Sovereigns and the in-game shop is the 1st step to full F2P that they are aiming for, the ONLY way Steam will host UO.
EA however ain't finished milking this cash cow yet, so the only way they will let this happen is by making you buy "sovereigns" first......then they don't care what you do with them as the Real life cash has gone to EA once more and NOT to Broadsword.

Broadsword claim UO ain't going F2P but just think....why all this effort for an in-game shop where you have to buy an item first from the very site they are trying to get away from???? Pointless and a huge waste of money/time/resources.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally, I think it would have been much better to just allow people to buy the items directly from the in-game store, rather than buy another currency to spend on the items from the store.
Exactly. We are still going to have to use the Origin store to buy these sovereigns and then redeem in game. Wait, just like we buy codes and redeem in game now! When I first read about the "in game store" I was hoping it would be the end of having to go onto the website, buy a code, redeem in game/via account management. I would be able to do everything from in game with a few clicks.

In my opinion they should be focused on the account management revamp and fixing this. Make it easier for new/returning players. Then work on the in game store. You need to get the customers in the door before making the money right?

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Exactly. We are still going to have to use the Origin store to buy these sovereigns and then redeem in game. Wait, just like we buy codes and redeem in game now! When I first read about the "in game store" I was hoping it would be the end of having to go onto the website, buy a code, redeem in game/via account management. I would be able to do everything from in game with a few clicks.

In my opinion they should be focused on the account management revamp and fixing this. Make it easier for new/returning players. Then work on the in game store. You need to get the customers in the door before making the money right?
I think the better option is to allow people that link cards to their account to buy things directly in game without sovereigns.

People who are hesitant can go and buy sovereigns.

If they stick with the sovereigns they need to put the option to buy them in game without going to Origin.

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I trhink the reason for the sovereigns is to allow them to be bought and sold in-game. So, if your a new player, you can purchase a few of them and sell them to other players for gold. This way Broadsword doesn't sell created gold to flood the market and it gives a way for players to obtain gold.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I trhink the reason for the sovereigns is to allow them to be bought and sold in-game. So, if your a new player, you can purchase a few of them and sell them to other players for gold. This way Broadsword doesn't sell created gold to flood the market and it gives a way for players to obtain gold.
That's a good point, unfortunately they haven't said much about it other than when they'd release the in game store and that it'd require us to buy sovereigns from Origin.

At a minimum they'd be smart to add a link in game to go directly to purchasing these.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wonder how often they'll run out of Sovereign codes ? :gee:
NEVER EA already knows BSs track record with codes and EA will make sure there are plenty of them so they can milk this cash cow for all it is worth.

Last edited:

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
.Broadsword claim UO ain't going F2P but just think....why all this effort for an in-game shop where you have to buy an item first from the very site they are trying to get away from???? Pointless and a huge waste of money/time/resources.
Honestly, that's the only thing I could think of as to why they're adding another currency, they're probably planning on making UO F2P...
If it were just to deter people from buying items from the illegal third-party sites, a new currency wouldn't be necessary.

I guess we'll wait and see.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the better option is to allow people that link cards to their account to buy things directly in game without sovereigns.
I really doubt the client is secure enough for anything like that.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honestly, that's the only thing I could think of as to why they're adding another currency, they're probably planning on making UO F2P...
If it were just to deter people from buying items from the illegal third-party sites, a new currency wouldn't be necessary.

I guess we'll wait and see.
A new currency is required if we are going to be able to buy items in-game that are also sold by EA. Do you really think for one minute that EA is going to let UO collect any real money and then have it turned over to EA, not on your life. EA is allowing this because BS/UO will handle no real money transactions, only fake money created by EA and only sold in the ORIGIN Store.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sovereigns should never be an item in game. they need to be a number attached to an account bank account. Soon as you make them an ingame item they will be dupable.
Process should be this...
Buy some sovereigns log into game..enter code in help menu
Sovs appear in bank account. and can be used by any character on that account at in game store.

And if they dont sell deco and gold and every other item the third parties sell at the ingame store, then they fools

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My 5 sovereigns to the offtopic theme. Except GTC the only thing you can buy in the old origin store are sovereigns.
With this BS will be able to have their own shop with more or less different items/tokens and there is no web shop update needed for EA. They got their money via percentage of GTC and sovereigns been sold.
BS can offer discounts at any time. BS can change item prices at any time. BS can change available items at any time.
So this is a win win situation for both. In the past, the small BS company has always to ask the big brother to have changes in their shop. Keep in minde the Kings collection which was long time not available for European players.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sovereigns and the in-game shop is the 1st step to full F2P that they are aiming for, the ONLY way Steam will host UO.
EA however ain't finished milking this cash cow yet, so the only way they will let this happen is by making you buy "sovereigns" first......then they don't care what you do with them as the Real life cash has gone to EA once more and NOT to Broadsword.

Broadsword claim UO ain't going F2P but just think....why all this effort for an in-game shop where you have to buy an item first from the very site they are trying to get away from???? Pointless and a huge waste of money/time/resources.
Exactly.

This is a tried and tested model which is in place for dozens (probably hundreds) of F2P games. One currency and one currency alone is bought from the web site via account management, and that in game currency is redeemable against anything and everything that they deem to stock in the in-game store. Its a much simpler, more flexible system and lends itself to F2P perfectly.

With this system in place EA/BS can add in-game purchases for houses, powerscrolls, gold, resources .... anything they think will be sellable, at the drop of a hat.

This is a F2P model. Its coming.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Exactly.

This is a tried and tested model which is in place for dozens (probably hundreds) of F2P games. One currency and one currency alone is bought from the web site via account management, and that in game currency is redeemable against anything and everything that they deem to stock in the in-game store. Its a much simpler, more flexible system and lends itself to F2P perfectly.

With this system in place EA/BS can add in-game purchases for houses, powerscrolls, gold, resources .... anything they think will be sellable, at the drop of a hat.

This is a F2P model. Its coming.
They need to be careful with just opening the spigot and letting everything pour into the game.

High inflation and a flooded market means the uo economy will tank.

If people cant sell things they farm, that's pretty much end game for a lot of players who dont want to sink more cash into the game ( or have the cash to sink into it).

I could see them eventually making F2P an option, but overdoing pay 2 win will tank everything.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Star Trek Online is F2P, but you pay alot to get new ships and upgrades. Cryptic Studios they don't milk the cow. They slaughter the entire dairy farm.

They will probably make it one account that all your character on one shard share. Why do you think they put in the new banking system? It wasn't done out of the kindness of their heart. UO has become, so stream lined. We barely have a development team. If UO goes f2p, you will see a spike in player returns at first. Then EA/BS will shut it down within 2 years. F2P is bad for UO.