• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So..erm....Big UO Announcement ...

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't they make a big song and dance about revealing the big change that was "gonna breathe new life into UO" and "open it up to a whole new audience" ??
Didn't they also say this was gonna be revealed in March?....*looks at calendar*
I know they like to leave things till the last minute but....14 hours and counting.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I think they decided to save it for later since they are all not actually at work at the moment. With all that's happening in the world they maybe thought it would have less impact. Obviously it also gives them extra time to make a good job of whatever it is...

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
GEE do you even play the game or do you just pancake about it all the time? You must live under a rock to not know what is going on in the real world. Are you that selfish that you can't the DEVs a break and understand that they are at home trying to keep UO going so people like you can whine.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Lord Frodo was that at me?! I'm going to assume that was at @Slayvite :eyes:
I'm well aware of the world's problems, my son is still going out to work every day which causes me no end of worry :(

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's the electronics age. They should be working from home a lot lol. Hell, they could probably even get some really great staff if they would allow work from home, I mean, seriously, who the hell in their right mind wants to live anywhere near DC? Much cheaper costs of living in other parts of the country.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
My husband has said for years that he would work for them if he could work from home, he saw the ad on the launcher screen years ago, it's something he would really enjoy doing and he's well qualified. Maybe now they might consider it?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol....you don't think they actually have an office do you? Broadsword do, UO does not, it's done from their garage.
And yes since i'm on isolation, I have absolutely nothing to do :D

I would also say an announcement isnt a release, sure let the people know in these times of strife and stick on a little "may be delayed do to covid19" at the bottom.
It only takes 1 finger to click the send button on a notification that must have already been made by now anyway.....shesh...

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Slayvite calm down, we all want to know what the big secret is but right now is not the time that they will tell us, we will know eventually and let's all hope it's something nice! :p

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To be far the CC client was made with a team of 8 people back then. EA wanted to cancel online and work on the single player game that was until the beta disk came out and the numbers made EA happy and they pulled everyone from the single player game to are much loved online game.

I can see them makeing a new version of the game with the staff they have that could be the biggest endeavor. But what would happen to all the players that have been playing for the past 20 plus years

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you remember several years ago, when Jeremy? was community person, they had a meetup to make a big surprise announcement.

Which turned out to be, We are working on KR (which had been announced a year earlier)

So yeah, their idea of a huge announcement is a bit suspect.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Looking back now maybe KR wasn't so bad, I know I hated it at the time but in the long term it might have helped....

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Maybe I am just feeling nostalgic, it was a bit wishy-washy or vague looking but some of the mobs did look better.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe I am just feeling nostalgic, it was a bit wishy-washy or vague looking but some of the mobs did look better.
The terrain and other static art also was mostly much more detailed even though it wasn't just the original graphics with higher resolution.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm still just looking forward to that new account management system they announced in like 2014....any day now....surely....

This is the one time it doesn't matter to me that they're late on something though, considering the entire global economy collapsing overnight is a pretty good reason to not be on top of things. For all we know they might have been occupied by fighting in the legendary toilet paper wars.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't they make a big song and dance about revealing the big change that was "gonna breathe new life into UO" and "open it up to a whole new audience" ??
Didn't they also say this was gonna be revealed in March?....*looks at calendar*
I know they like to leave things till the last minute but....14 hours and counting.
Once again, I feel obliged to remind you and others on these fine boards ....
1. They did indeed state March

2. They neglected to state what year!

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
KR was suppose to be the Enhanced Client. Not sure why they changed it.
IIRC (based on conversations with former devs), they changed it (more like abandoned it for the SA Enhanced client) because EA Japan had committed to a 2Q 2007 release of KR in Japan, with a physical shelf presence, and EA forced its programmers to release KR at the end of June 2007 to meet it, despite that KR wasn't really ready for ALPHA testing when it went into open Beta, and needed at least 6 months more work to be ready for Beta, let alone release.

This was followed by the uber-buggy KR having to be updated simultaneously with the CC for in-game additions, and they were adding new bugs for every one they fixed because of the new content. They effectively kept losing ground on it, to where by late 2008/early 2009, it was easier to start from scratch from where KR was during internal testing in 2006, and redo everything after, to make the SA client. This included abandoning the new, prettier, graphic system for something in-between CC & KR, as KR's graphics were so system intensive that they were causing issues with users' computers. (MASSIVE lag issues, among other things).

Ironically, modern computers today would probably laugh at those requirements, but they were way too ambitious 12 years ago, when you consider how much memory was being used to try to convert a data stream meant for 1990s 2D Isometric on the fly to a modern graphic style in the PLAYER'S computer. Even today, when companies "remaster" a game, they typically rewrite the existing game for the new graphics package, not stick the old code in with a real-time converter.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
they are going to change the phoenix back to its former form lol

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lol....you don't think they actually have an office do you? Broadsword do, UO does not, it's done from their garage.

I would also say an announcement isnt a release, sure let the people know in these times of strife and stick on a little "may be delayed do to covid19" at the bottom.
It only takes 1 finger to click the send button on a notification that must have already been made by now anyway.....shesh...
Next you are going to tell us Lord British does not live in s castle. The gullable will believe that also.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Guess stupid people just gotta say stupid things.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey I said Broadsword have an office, you just wont catch UO in there unless it's an open day. :p
But what may i ask do they serve at the 'European fine cuisine' ??

Last edited:

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
If it's anything like the UK right now then they probably are not serving anything, 'fine' or otherwise....

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I thought Lord British had gone, is he dead or just living somewhere else? :oops:

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Shortly after EA slew OSI, he took his ball and left. He did a few mediocre games and then founded his second studio to create Shroud of the Avatar which is "UO's spiritual successor.*"

* If spiritual successor meant shamelessly transparent cash grab... The game is basically an endless string of microtransactions, punctuated with thousand+ dollar homes and castles.

This screenshot kind of typifies the game:
SS_Webpage_Community_A.jpg

A steampunk rave on a ship, featuring DJ Blackthorn (yes, that's Lord British on the dancefloor in the lower right corner.)

Seriously. WTF?
:facepalm:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm talking about his RL persona he has a castle in Austin TX. You can see it from the lake. I was at a developer meet and greet for another EA game at the lake. There was a party at Garriott's castle. The developer invited us to go to it. But I had been away from UO for a long time. And was stupid and didn't go.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
So he has a castle in real life too... makes sense I suppose. ;)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a friend who interviewed him at age 16. He wore king garb.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
He sold the castle. Space trips aren't cheap.
He should have waited until now to sell. The housing prices have doubled in Austin in the last few years. East side 1 bedroom shacks are selling for 200k+.

My Daughter was renting a 700 sqFt house for 1800 a month. :eek: It had not cabinets in the kitchen.
(thats very high rent in TX,)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well, to be honest, Austin doesn't represent most of Texas. It's more of a smaller sized liberal NYC
I always hear that, but honestly coming from a solidly liberal area (Miami) I didn't notice much of any difference between Austin and the rest of Texas. The religious stuff was slightly toned down, but that was about it. Plus the suburbs like round rock are heavily conservative anyway. Liberal for Texas maybe, but not even in the same universe as NYC/California liberal.

mana hit

Grand Inquisitor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I live in east Texas and Austin is completely different from this area,then again its a big state and I just live in one area.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL At one time Austin was gonna close the BBQ places down because the smell and smoke was offending certain people.

Here in the Tyler/Jacksonville/ Palestine area, whoever even suggested that might been gone after with pitchforks LOL.

Yeah, Austin is it's own little world, as is DFW and Houston area

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In Toronto your renting a small 500 sqft. Condo for 2k a month if your lucky. To buy it it's around 400 to 600k
We visited a friend in DC. His apt was 500sq ft or less and probably cost a lot. There was a waiting list to get into the building. I like space and driving in my self containment vehicle. Also would never leave TX because I love Tex Mex food.