• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 97 to Origin, Izumo, & Baja

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was under the impression that Discord only drops Peerless bosses by 1% in stats and skills or something ridiculous like that.
Oh yes I think that's accurate. I don't think it was always the case though, but I could be wrong.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I was under the impression that Discord only drops Peerless bosses by 1% in stats and skills or something ridiculous like that.
That is correct for ML peerless.
Stygian Dragon, Medusa, Navrey, Cora... all drop 14%

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
on test now, notice they added a minimum skill to use (but not a skill to maximum to control) in the lore gump

i'm 120 taming 120 lore and notice my fully maximized pet is very hard to control, listens to maybe 1/5th of my commands. any others notice this?

@Kyronix

tested on a hiryu and a fire steed, same results. lore gump showed 108 and 106 skill needed respectively

also notice CU Sidhe's healing ability seems to be lost tho still in the lore gump. not healing itself or me when damaged

Last edited:

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
we asked Boadsword to put stuff in the in game store for us to buy.
they put stuff in the in game store for us to buy.
we complain they put stuff in the in game store???

some people really need to give their heads a shake.

and who's complaining about having a cap of 42 pets?
OMG, really?!?!?!?
i thought having 21 pets was a lot, 42 is bordering on crazy cat lady living alone!

i think what they are doing is perfect.
its the perfect amount and its the perfect way to do it.
thank you Broadsword for continuing to put stuff in the in game store for me to buy.
(maybe i should wait to thank them until i see how much the token sell for......)

i see these tokens as good, ill explain.
most of us have one big tamer on our shard of choice, most of us, crazy cat lady's living alone are not included in this demographic.
so on our big tamers we are all gonna buy up to max so we can have one of each flavor of Drake plus another 15 misc critters on top of the 21 we already have.
so that works.
some people are complaining that all characters on that account should get the upgrade?
why?
why would my sampire need 42 stable slots????
2nd string tamers like my pvp tamer, he has like 8 pets, i dont need anymore for him, he's not a farmer, he does not need all the strange and wonderful pets, just his pvp fighting pets.

ya, i think they did it just right.
im sitting here trying to think if i would need more than just one one main tamer cranked up to 42 and i can honestly say no.
i may add a couple tokens to my ATL tamer, but probably not.

i like it.
now lets see that price stay around 300 sovereigns!!!
(100 sovereigns per stable slot)

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
do the rare colored Nightmares spawn at all the spawn locations?

do they spawn in Fel????

because ive been farming them and i havnt seen one yet.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

some people really need to give their heads a shake.

OMG, really?!?!?!?
i thought having 21 pets was a lot, 42 is bordering on crazy cat lady living alone!

i think what they are doing is perfect.
its the perfect amount and its the perfect way to do it.
thank you Broadsword for continuing to put stuff in the in game store for me to buy.
(maybe i should wait to thank them until i see how much the token sell for......)

i see these tokens as good, ill explain.
most of us have one big tamer on our shard of choice, most of us, crazy cat lady's living alone are not included in this demographic.
so on our big tamers we are all gonna buy up to max so we can have one of each flavor of Drake plus another 15 misc critters on top of the 21 we already have.
so that works.
some people are complaining that all characters on that account should get the upgrade?
why?
why would my sampire need 42 stable slots????
2nd string tamers like my pvp tamer, he has like 8 pets, i dont need anymore for him, he's not a farmer, he does not need all the strange and wonderful pets, just his pvp fighting pets.

ya, i think they did it just right.
im sitting here trying to think if i would need more than just one one main tamer cranked up to 42 and i can honestly say no.
i may add a couple tokens to my ATL tamer, but probably not.

i like it.
now lets see that price stay around 300 sovereigns!!!
(100 sovereigns per stable slot)
Since it is character bound it needs to have a higher limit. Isn't this the pet revamp that we will be living with for years and the devs supposedly put a lot of thought into it.

I should be able to have 5 frenzied ostards, 5 hell hounds , 5 other one slot pets made to max for 1 slot. Then 2 of the pets that take up 2 or 3 slots.

Or, is this revamp not as good as that and everyone will play around with the new system but use the same GD they have been using for years.

I can carry around weapons with each damage type and each leech type that I need for what I fight, but tamers are limited.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
do the rare colored Nightmares spawn at all the spawn locations?

do they spawn in Fel????

because ive been farming them and i havnt seen one yet.
I only went to Kirin pass because it's the easiest...got 2 in a matter of about 20 minutes...I'll have to see if I can get them elsewhere

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OMG, really?!?!?!?
That's a faulty comparison. In UO pets are also tools of the trade. With the update bringing different damage types and tons of customization it is possible to tailor a pet to a specific task. You know, how dexxers can have a weapon with the right special, right damage type, and right attributes? For some reason nobody is putting a limit on how many double axes a Sampire is allowed to own. Moreover, one of the main goals of this publish was to change the situation where a GD was all anyone used. Now, Devs not only gave us new pets, but hopefully made many existing ones viable.
If previously most tamers had their stables full with just a GD as a single viable pet, now we have dozens of options. And going from one to dozens, the stable slots just double (assuming they don't price out of reach). You see a problem here?
Frankly I don't understand people who claim that there is no need to increase stable slots, or say that if you need more than X slots, you are a crazy cat lady. Why? How is it a problem for you if I want to keep 50 walruses in my stable in addition to my 30 most favorite vampire bats? Stable slots give tamers something to do. They give them hundreds of hours of taming time. This is good, because, while they are taming, they are not bored and think of quitting. It seems obvious to me that it's in the interest of the game if not remove the stable limit, but to make it as high as possible.
Stable slots is an antiquated mechanic hailing from the days when training a skill was a meaningful goal in itself. Those days are gone, as should be low stable slot limits.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
answered my own question.
they do spawn in Fel.
just got one.
took around 50-60 to get one to pop.

Last edited:

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
That's a faulty comparison. In UO pets are also tools of the trade. With the update bringing different damage types and tons of customization it is possible to tailor a pet to a specific task. You know, how dexxers can have a weapon with the right special, right damage type, and right attributes? For some reason nobody is putting a limit on how many double axes a Sampire is allowed to own. Moreover, one of the main goals of this publish was to change the situation where a GD was all anyone used. Now, Devs not only gave us new pets, but hopefully made many existing ones viable.
If previously most tamers had their stables full with just a GD as a single viable pet, now we have dozens of options. And going from one to dozens, the stable slots just double (assuming they don't price out of reach). You see a problem here?
Frankly I don't understand people who claim that there is no need to increase stable slots, or say that if you need more than X slots, you are a crazy cat lady. Why? How is it a problem for you if I want to keep 50 walruses in my stable in addition to my 30 most favorite vampire bats? Stable slots give tamers something to do. They give them hundreds of hours of taming time. This is good, because, while they are taming, they are not bored and think of quitting. It seems obvious to me that it's in the interest of the game if not remove the stable limit, but to make it as high as possible.
Stable slots is an antiquated mechanic hailing from the days when training a skill was a meaningful goal in itself. Those days are gone, as should be low stable slot limits.
i dont have 42 swords or maces.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They likely made the tokens account bound, so that EA themselves wouldn't be getting undercut by dupers.

kazeandi

Adventurer
Pet slots is only one of the problems. The other would be that the new pets will be worse than GDs, rendering them useless.
Given how much work training them up is, and for what negligible use, I wonder if anyone will even bother when the novelty wears off.

transcendent

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Pet slots is only one of the problems. The other would be that the new pets will be worse than GDs, rendering them useless.
Given how much work training them up is, and for what negligible use, I wonder if anyone will even bother when the novelty wears off.
I think 5 slot rideable pets will be pretty popular even if they are not as strong as a GD. Not everyone wants to walk everywhere.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
And because you don't, others have to be limited to your preferences, right?
have you ever heard of the phrase 'hoarder'?
42 stable slots.
think about that for a second.
i dont care how much your like to train pets and use different skills on them, after 40 your just a hoarder.
pets are not shoes people!

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Well we did see this coming, every time now people ask for something repeatedly it will just be added to the store, not directly into the game, come September we will all be able to buy 'new 'design castle tokens.... :p

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
the more stuff they make and sell the more money the game makes the longer game stays around and/or the more designers they can hire to make even more stuff for us.

its win win!

at least thats what i tell myself so i stay in a good mood about spending more money.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
on test now, notice they added a minimum skill to use (but not a skill to maximum to control) in the lore gump

i'm 120 taming 120 lore and notice my fully maximized pet is very hard to control, listens to maybe 1/5th of my commands. any others notice this?

@Kyronix

tested on a hiryu and a fire steed, same results. lore gump showed 108 and 106 skill needed respectively

also notice CU Sidhe's healing ability seems to be lost tho still in the lore gump. not healing itself or me when damaged
What did you add to the cu-sidhe? I was afraid that healing would count as a magical ability when adding chiv, so I went and caught a fresh cu yesterday, pushed it through the advance gate and gave it chiv, then took it to the rotting corpses. At 20% health and poisoned I recalled out, then stood next to it while it healed itself up, hearing the bandage 'thump' each time.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
the more stuff they make and sell the more money the game makes the longer game stays around and/or the more designers they can hire to make even more stuff for us.

its win win!

at least thats what i tell myself so i stay in a good mood about spending more money.
I am all good with them being sold on the store.
It is a good source of extra income for them and I will surely be getting a few myself.
I am just not very pleased with the token being account bound.

Last edited:

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wait for May or
  • Stable Slot Increase Token
  • This account-bound token will increase the maximum number of creatures a character can house at the stables by 3, up to a maximum of 42 total stables slots from all sources. A character may use a total of 7 tokens.
  • You may not use this item as it is an account-bound item that is bound to a different account.
  • You have increased your stable slot count by 3. Your total stable count is now ~1_VAL~.
  • You cannot increase the number of stable slots on this character. You have already reached the cap of 21 additional token stable slots or 42 total stable slots.
  • Stable Slot Increase (Account-Bound)
three-stableslots.jpg

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What did you add to the cu-sidhe? I was afraid that healing would count as a magical ability when adding chiv, so I went and caught a fresh cu yesterday, pushed it through the advance gate and gave it chiv, then took it to the rotting corpses. At 20% health and poisoned I recalled out, then stood next to it while it healed itself up, hearing the bandage 'thump' each time.
I think i gave it poisoning, venemous bite, err maybe there was another but now i don't remember.

There seems to be an issue though with adding magical abilities, and they at least say in the lore gump they have that ability but really, they only have the last one you added. IE you can add magery, then spellweaving, then chiv (crazy points, but a test) and the pet will only cast chiv, now but its lore list shows all 3.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A cu sidhe that can take down a paragon greater dragon, even when it's still training up its scrolled skills, is not enough?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think i gave it poisoning, venemous bite, err maybe there was another but now i don't remember.

There seems to be an issue though with adding magical abilities, and they at least say in the lore gump they have that ability but really, they only have the last one you added. IE you can add magery, then spellweaving, then chiv (crazy points, but a test) and the pet will only cast chiv, now but its lore list shows all 3.
Did you add those with that bogus 5k points? Because the restrictions when working without bugs is ONE magical ability.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't ask for it. In fact I think an item shop in a subscription only game is stupid. We already pay for our content. Rainbow unicorns and garbage like that, fine, if you must... but something that should just be given to us along with the giant pet overhaul is just a lame excuse to nickle and dime people.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
So I wonder if you can see any of the rare colors in the EC because all dragons are still only red.
I am guessing no..I patched up the EC this morning and here are the 2 new mares I got yesterday...one on the bottom is the shiny metallic one...

cantsee.png

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
42 stable slots.
i dont care how much your like to train pets and use different skills on them, after 40 your just a hoarder.
Why? How is that not just an arbitrary assessment you just made? There are over 100 different regular tamables, many "special", reward/event tamables like pink rabbits, anny horses, all the different colors, now they are customizable, all of that is saying to the tamer "Go out experience different pets, try different stuff out, collect some cool looking pets!" 40 isn't that much, and it's stupid we have to pay, and not only that but PER CHARACTER not even per account to get there.

Is having 40 weapons hoarding? 40 plants? No, because those things are much much much less limited. Moreover do any of the people who collect 400 easter bunnies, or whatever item get chided for hoarding? Rarely, if ever. They (represented by a LOT of players) are seen as collectors, just enjoying the game as they see fit, but if a tamer wants a nice selection of interesting pets, and pets with different functions for different occasions, or to RP, or just for sentimental value, they must have something wrong with them...

Really, why are pets different from shoes in the context of the game? No reason.

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Did you add those with that bogus 5k points? Because the restrictions when working without bugs is ONE magical ability.
No, i was very careful to only go through the gate once for 1501

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
42 stable slots.
Again, and this bothers you why? This is sandbox. As long as my gameplay does not negatively affect other players, there is no reason to arbitrarily limit it.
UO does not seem to mind terribly people who fill their multiple castles with multiple hundreds of collectibles. Unlike overfilling stables, those actually cause lag, yet nobody is limiting them.
So why do you presume to tell others how many pets is a reasonable number to own?

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I very much hope that the devs realize that this kind of an update has to have multiple balancing passes in the next few months.

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I very much hope that the devs realize that this kind of an update has to have multiple balancing passes in the next few months.
Guess its gonna be a few before ti hits world wide already....as more peoples are testing it now with prodo chars...

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well I run EC so guess no need to get a totem. As far as a need to purchase 3? stable slots......I'm good I'll just kick pets down to my other two tamers if I don't need. I'll more than likely still use GD for most stuff because I was doing my evaluation of most critters I was interested in with the gate bugged extra points I didn't know would not apply until three days before the patch was set to release. I will be happy to have a few five slot rideables no doubt but see no need to train up masses of pets that are going to be lack luster in comparison. I may get the new drakes for their 100% elemental damage. I was hoping for a larger stable slot increase but maybe they had that planed and decided to go with small increments broken down at a cheaper price. Like many I don't see the reason to have a limit on stable slots when you can only have so many out of the stables anyways. I just hope that they keep the pet training gate up forever for us to test pet combos so we don't spend hours grinding to make a bad choice in pet training because it is test center and should be a tool for us to use as subscribers. I look forward to it going live and hope for the best (Crosses Fingers).

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
And newly tamed nightmares are now 3 slots... this messed up...
No they are 2 slots.....if they were 3 I wouldn't be able to have both of mine out at the same time :)

slots.png

My old Mare is a 3-slot but these 2 are both 2-slots.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Again, and this bothers you why? This is sandbox. As long as my gameplay does not negatively affect other players, there is no reason to arbitrarily limit it.
UO does not seem to mind terribly people who fill their multiple castles with multiple hundreds of collectibles. Unlike overfilling stables, those actually cause lag, yet nobody is limiting them.
So why do you presume to tell others how many pets is a reasonable number to own?
they made a reasonable increase to to the limit.

They also saw an opportunity to increase revenue. Hats off to them for thinking about that.

Nothing in game is limitless without some sort of compensation.

42 stable slots not enough? Make another tamer.

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No they are 2 slots.....if they were 3 I wouldn't be able to have both of mine out at the same time :)

View attachment 65427

My old Mare is a 3-slot but these 2 are both 2-slots.
Was just testing this on test center to see if he was right. I only tamed one and it was 3 slots. I think this is having to do with the pet having higher stats that bumped it up a slot. So when you are using totems you may get a 3 slot nightmare at some point. I personally think it was not the greatest idea they had to bump up slots based on power for pets fresh tamed. I could see the lowering of a slot due to being underpowered say on Greater Dragons but that is rarely going to happen. This part of the system means you don't get a really good mare to train up three whole slots and having one spawn with three slots is not desirable because I could get more of what I want from a pet using all three slots worth of points myself.

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was just testing this on test center to see if he was right. I only tamed one and it was 3 slots. I think this is having to do with the pet having higher stats that bumped it up a slot.
I seen you and next spawned 2 slot version with low str.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll be honest I'm a little bit soured on charging for extra slots. I do however understand why it was done the way it was. For the game it really is a win in situation. Though you could maybe upgrade everyones pet limit by 8 to go along with this publish. That way we could have 50 total slots. I like round numbers :)

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well he was saying his old mare was a 3 slot now so I guess It will auto bump some players current pets up a slot when they go to train. Which I am sure will sour more than one tamer on the new publish. I went and tamed another one and it was 2 slots the main difference being Str was noted in the post above. Guess we are going to have to do some calculation on the highest str obtainable that won't bump it up a slot. Str is not one of the stats I have been adding to pets due to it's high cost.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well 42 is the meaning of life so that's what they went with...