• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 97 to Origin, Izumo, & Baja

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Proportionally high given what people use. Which since GD's has been 99% GD's.
Not everyone uses only GD's right now and people will absolutly not only use GD's when the publish hits.

Assuming that they are using servers of today. Not an assumption I'd readily make for a 20 year old game that they are not pumping money into.
I assume they were referring to the cloud, which UO does use, and as such I don't see how data could possibly be an issue.

I agree. Though it's also pointless for them to consider it when there are pretty much no upsides to them doing so.
Player happiness with zero impact on gameplay is not an upside?

Pets are not comparable to weapons, weapons are objects, pets are mobiles with AI that you can leave fighting for you/hide behind etc. if you choose.
When pets are in a stable, they are exactly the same. Hunks of data, that's it. The reality of pets and how they operate in game is completely irrelevant to the discussion, because how many of said hunks of data you can store has zero effect on how those hunks of data effect the game while in use.

I've yet to hear one good reason for giving more stable slots that isn't just 'because we want to store dozens of pets/have a Hiryu in every colour' or whatever, these are not good reasons given all the drawbacks... which good or not to those who want more slots are still there.

And I am looking forward to this getting on prod, but realistically there's still only going to be 3-5 pets or combinations that are going to be worth bothering with, for PvM at least.
Reason: It will make playing a tamer more fun, with zero potential drawbacks, as the game would function 100% the same as it does now. That is a good reason. Allowing people the option to collect 100 different colored Hiryus WOULD BE GOOD FOR THE GAME. Why do people not get this? Anything that keeps people engaged and logging is a GOOD THING. Collecting **** is like one of the main activities in this game, we should want people to do it in as many ways as we can think of.

Realistically there are going to be way more than 3-5 combinations. I will be tailoring many pets for many different uses and scenarios. Chaps my ass that I have to pay probably 20+ dollars on top of my subscription fee to do so.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The people that make the game have to consider the time/effort/cost vs the benefit of any idea. Benefit being increased revenue. If players wanting things alone was a sufficiently good reason for adding stuff to the game there would be all sorts of stupid things in it.
I the things people wanted require no coding, and have no effect on gameplay or balance as extra stable slots do not, then those things should have been added already.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is only ever one 'best'. If newer challenges being added to the game required a range of pets you'd all be using more than just GD's/Cu's.
Because pets as they are now are essentially all the same, so you get the one that does the most damage and tanks the best. You do realize this new patch is changing all of that right?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I was to purchase a stable slot will it affect every char on that account or is it for just one char? This has me confuse as I have multi tamers across several shards, @Mesanna can you answer this one?
Since you buy it from the in game store the slots must be in token form, which probably means it's a per character basis. We'll see I guess.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is another non reader that deserve to be trolled!
Now who's making a negative impact on the stratics viewing experience? On one side you have people who are passionate enough about an aspect of the game to want to post their feelings about it, on the other side you have yourself admittedly trolling because you are what annoyed that you read it? I guess? :/

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Assuming that they are using servers of today. Not an assumption I'd readily make for a 20 year old game that they are not pumping money into.

I agree. Though it's also pointless for them to consider it when there are pretty much no upsides to them doing so. I don't know the ins and outs of whatever game store/codes things they've done because I don't spend on it but from what I gather they're charging for extra storage, so no reason to give it away free. Doing it at all equates to time/effort/cost for them.

Pets are not comparable to weapons, weapons are objects, pets are mobiles with AI that you can leave fighting for you/hide behind etc. if you choose.

I've yet to hear one good reason for giving more stable slots that isn't just 'because we want to store dozens of pets/have a Hiryu in every colour' or whatever, these are not good reasons given all the drawbacks... which good or not to those who want more slots are still there.

And I am looking forward to this getting on prod, but realistically there's still only going to be 3-5 pets or combinations that are going to be worth bothering with, for PvM at least.
People also May like to use different pet for different enemy.

Your ****ty Argument is like saying why a Warrior neeeds more than one weapon. Because theoretically non Slayer can kill any Mob.

Only because you think everyone is Using a GD for everything do Not make this a Fact.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is another non reader that deserve to be trolled!
What is the item you cannot use/own/store that others can?
Are you that clueless? Bank box + Backpack + House all hold items, you do understand that don't you? Even the smallest house can hold more items for all other TEMPs than the Stable Slots that a 120 Tame/Lore/Vet can hold. Maybe you should go back to school and take some BASIC READING and BASIC MATH classes.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Reason: It will make playing a tamer more fun, with zero potential drawbacks, as the game would function 100% the same as it does now. That is a good reason. Allowing people the option to collect 100 different colored Hiryus WOULD BE GOOD FOR THE GAME. Why do people not get this? Anything that keeps people engaged and logging is a GOOD THING. Collecting **** is like one of the main activities in this game, we should want people to do it in as many ways as we can think of.

Realistically there are going to be way more than 3-5 combinations. I will be tailoring many pets for many different uses and scenarios. Chaps my ass that I have to pay probably 20+ dollars on top of my subscription fee to do so.
THIS X 1000000....

Pretty much anymore I log into UO approx 2 hours if even a week... It's my opinion that by the end of the year if I continue this since there really is NO reason for me to log in anymore than the 2 hours a week.. I'll be shutting down my accounts. Told myself I'd do that by the end of the year if this keeps up...

I'll explain.... lately this is how I see UO.... The DEVs tell us about the upcoming publish... I get my hopes up that it'll be fun and the "thing" to get me playing again... publish hits test finally... I discover it's yet again a massive grind with zero pay out.... or worse discover that my "main" characters mostly archers/tamers.... are 100% useless to take there... my thoughts of how "fun" it is to grind doing the same actions over and over just drop to nil... I find it nearly impossible to get my in-game friends interested in doing much of the content... or the interest is there for about 1 or 2 rounds but when they find they receive nothing but death robes from the experience they quickly decline doing it ever again... whether I'd like to or not. Pretty much they look at the time invested vs the reward and decide it's not worth doing... So... since they won't do it and I can't do it alone... fun factor is Zilch... meaning no use me logging in no one wants to do anything. This goes on and on publish after publish... for the last several years... Now I've held out for this supposed pet update because that IS something that I have a LOT of interest in.....

However my stables are FULL .... they have been for years... Even on some of my "newer" tamers most of them at least on my home shard have FULL stables... I certainly hoped hearing about all the new pets being added that new slot would as well be added... so I kept up the hope. However learning that NO NEW SLOTS are being added save ones I'll have to purchase... Forcing me to pay them more money to play just doesn't sit too well with me right now considering how much I play currently... the idea of spending THAT much money and I don't care how much each token costs... it's TOO MUCH... We are talking about me having at least 1 tamer per account... pretty much I might have 2 accounts with no tamer but that's it... So we are talking about a lot of money to get new pets just to test... Already tested several on TC and found them..... LACKING. And since they already stated NONE will be better than the current GD... again I the "fun" scale has fallen ..... No return of Dread Warhorses, Bane Dragons... Silver Steeds, Dark Steeds... etc... Certainly there are more animals to tame... and while I'd like to have many of them... without stable slots and the idea of having to buy up slots for each and every tamer I own across all accounts individually and yes some accounts do have several tamers... just leaves me with a bad taste and quite frankly disgusts me to the point that I once again feel let down. HUGE buildup to what I hoped would get me back in game... dashed once again...

So now they are talking about actually doing city invasions again... another build-up... I certainly hope this isn't going to be another massive grind for no reward... if it is... I will be closing accounts... I just can't take any more of the let downs. Once upon a time UO was fun to play, time spent playing was rewarding and fun... now it's a massively boring grind that leads to NOTHING. Hours of work for little to no reward. Not fun for me... being forced to play certain templates in places that used to be fun.... again... Unappealing... I have ZERO desire to play a Sampire. Not everyone has one.. making it impossible to get friends to go... because they will only be slaughtered... which isn't fun for any of us. Not everyone has a Tamer... either.... so again... not everyone can participate in what a few want to do... again not fun.... pidgeonholing the the game into certain niches means groups can no longer enjoy the game. Which means that those who enjoy the game with groups..... no longer have things to do together... And I can't even imagine how most the crap is on a small shard with few players... and even fewer groups...

I'm rather fed up with the DEVs catering to the Rares community and solo players. Tired of the greed and tired of the grinding... and I am NOT alone. I keep hoping something will change to bring fun back but each and every publish just is a HUGE disappointment... and another build up to a massive let down... if it "is" fun... it's quickly nerfed to make it NOT fun and FAR less rewarding. Even the Crafting update was a let down.. in that you can't effectively store points even and storing points instead of taking instant reward is at a fraction so small of the value that it's barely worth taking... The volume required to reach a goal is at such a price it's barely worthwhile and like so many things rewards the bots and scripters... not actual players.

And now.. they have taken away decent loot at EM Events... I can't be alone in noticing that now on Boss drops ALL the loot is base loot. With ZERO value so if you didn't get a drop you don't even get a chance at finding a decent item drop... you get NOTHING. This is the solution to poor coding that made it impossible to loot a public boss corpse? To make no one even Want to loot it??? Rather than fixing whatever is broken about having 500+ items on the corpse... crashing clients when they open in ..... they just make all the loot garbage??? Not a good solution... lose lose situation for those who didn't get a drop. Fun factor = 0.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
People are not allowed to do what they want. There are limits on everything, like i said. But you still don't read. Noone is against raising or removing stable caps. The problem is constant complains. Every time i am on stratics someone is complaining about this using bad analogy - that IS RUINING my stratics experience!
I don't consider a tamer that has over 40 pets already that is expressing this fact to the developers to inform them that adding new pets and abilities that can not be overwritten again that we need more than 42 stable slots is complaining.

But, glad I could ruin your stratics experience. :lick:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

White.png

If I can look this good while killing stuff, why would I want to drag around a GD?

I have lots of outfits that need a matching pet.

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As usual i'm lost and confused with the upcoming tamer/pet changes. I feel that every fix that they do to a skill just makes them really complicated and worthless until you rebuild and learn to replay them.

I'll try to figure it out but it will take me a while i'm sure because I have a couple tamers on each server.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Would this solve the issue with storing all the new tameables? How about a stable (anniversary gift?) that's about the size of the garden shed and can store 125 items (pets) that can be used by all characters that have access to the stable(container)?

@Kyronix Don't pick on my delicate touch with photoshop. I stole it from a kids coloring book. ;)

Stable to work like garden shed.jpg

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The idea of being able to to have a small stable in your with bonded pets that anyone on the same account can use and stay bonded
would be awesome

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Not everyone uses only GD's right now and people will absolutly not only use GD's when the publish hits.
I didn't say everyone, I said 99%, which is true and the few people in this thread (that somehow think they constitute more than 1%) going 'look at me sitting on my Cu' doesn't alter the fact that at every event I've been to in the last 6+ years has been a sea of GD's.

I assume they were referring to the cloud, which UO does use, and as such I don't see how data could possibly be an issue.
The 'cloud' or not it is still a computer sitting somewhere storing data, additional data equals additional storage, equals additional cost.

Player happiness with zero impact on gameplay is not an upside?
There is an impact on gameplay.

When pets are in a stable, they are exactly the same. Hunks of data, that's it. The reality of pets and how they operate in game is completely irrelevant to the discussion, because how many of said hunks of data you can store has zero effect on how those hunks of data effect the game while in use.
Also untrue. On the one hand you're saying there is no effect on game play, while on the other saying that more Tamers will be bought back to the game, more pets at events = more lag.

Reason: It will make playing a tamer more fun, with zero potential drawbacks, as the game would function 100% the same as it does now.
No it wouldn't.

Realistically there are going to be way more than 3-5 combinations. I will be tailoring many pets for many different uses and scenarios.
Yes there will be millions of combinations and most of them less effective than the top one.

I the things people wanted require no coding, and have no effect on gameplay or balance as extra stable slots do not, then those things should have been added already.
Extra stable slots do require coding and have an effect on game play.

Because pets as they are now are essentially all the same, so you get the one that does the most damage and tanks the best. You do realize this new patch is changing all of that right?
Their all the same but you get the one that tanks the best is a pretty big contradiction in terms. This patch is going to make it so you can have a 1000 hp drake, or a 1000 hp GD, or a 1000 hp tsuki wolf... then they will all be the same.

People also May like to use different pet for different enemy.
Until they work out that there is one best option yeah.

Your ****ty Argument is like saying why a Warrior neeeds more than one weapon.
No it isn't. Pets and weapons are not comparable.

Only because you think everyone is Using a GD for everything do Not make this a Fact.
I didn't say everyone and for everything, I said 99%, and they are, you can see it in game at every event (or actually you can't because it's obscured by GD's), the only difference between now and after the publish is that after you'll have something that looks different but with the same end game stats. Sure you'll get a few kooky players that decide to bring some niche pet that they've wasted months training and customising just to be less effective but then you always do.

...and for the record I don't really care whether they do or don't, just seems obvious to me that they are not going to.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Would this solve the issue with storing all the new tameables? How about a stable (anniversary gift?) that's about the size of the garden shed and can store 125 items (pets) that can be used by all characters that have access to the stable(container)?

@Kyronix Don't pick on my delicate touch with photoshop. I stole it from a kids coloring book. ;)

View attachment 65750
DAMN DAMN DAMN I can only like this 1 time but it needs about a MILLION MILLION more

transcendent

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran

View attachment 65750
They are probably thinking about adding the stable to the UO store now.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The 'cloud' or not it is still a computer sitting somewhere storing data, additional data equals additional storage, equals additional cost..
Do you really think storage for the additional pets is a consideration here? It's text data. Very small amounts of it. You can fit 10 times as needed on a 10 dollar flash drive.

There is an impact on gameplay.
Yes. A positive one.

Also untrue. On the one hand you're saying there is no effect on game play, while on the other saying that more Tamers will be bought back to the game, more pets at events = more lag.
Yep. More players is bad, because lag. Why don't we make everyone leave and BS can run pristine lag free servers.
Extra stable slots do require coding and have an effect on game play.
Adding 21 stable slots requires the same tiny amount of coding as adding 121 or 1021.

No it isn't. Pets and weapons are not comparable.
Yes they are.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Yes they are.
A pet takes damage in place of a player weapons do not. Weapons do not have 1000's of hp, shoot 60 damage breaths across the screen, have the ability to heal/cure themselves or be left fighting while the player is hidden.

In what way shape or form are the two comparable?

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Weapons take damage and have to be repaired...weapons can do specials, have hit effects, hit area effects...sure maybe not as MUCH damage as some pets but a pet is a weapon

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A pet takes damage in place of a player weapons do not. Weapons do not have 1000's of hp, shoot 60 damage breaths across the screen, have the ability to heal/cure themselves or be left fighting while the player is hidden.
Yes, and weapons have the ability to leach life while simultaneously dealing damage. That pretty much outweighs any advantage a pet has.

In what way shape or form are the two comparable?
In the way that both are primary means of dealing damage for their respective templates.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Yes, and weapons have the ability to leach life while simultaneously dealing damage. That pretty much outweighs any advantage a pet has.
No it doesn't. Not unless you're completely ignoring everything that pets do which you evidently are.

In the way that both are primary means of dealing damage for their respective templates.
So in no other way whatsoever besides figuratively then. As I said not comparable.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No it doesn't. Not unless you're completely ignoring everything that pets do which you evidently are.
Yep, this must be why Sampire is by far the most popular PvE template, and Taming was begging fro a boost all this time.

So in no other way whatsoever besides figuratively then. As I said not comparable.
Dealing damage in PVM is a figurative quality?! It's the only one that matters.

hungrymedusa1

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Are you sure all of them are? Better tame some 2 slotters while you can.
I'm not sure all of them are, but all I have seen are. Thankfully I tamed some 3.8 ish ones before the publish so I can play around with 3/2 slot combos later.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I had a 2-slot mare on Siege but when I clicked the blue training gem it bumped it to 3 :(

Still that's good! Means it was as good as I thought it was....been loring mares as I farm for the new ones and mine is almost the best I've seen so far.

hungrymedusa1

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I had a 2-slot mare on Siege but when I clicked the blue training gem it bumped it to 3 :(

Still that's good! Means it was as good as I thought it was....been loring mares as I farm for the new ones and mine is almost the best I've seen so far.
Oh yeah, them being 3 is a good sign that you tamed a good one. It just interferes with my wacky plans of running a mare and a ? or even two mares.

Nightmares have long been my favorite tamable in the game, so I'm happy they are being beefed up. Kinda sad as the 2 slots did open you up for a more interesting 2nd pet though. I'd be mad if I hadn't pre-tamed some that I haven't trained to 3 yet.

Last edited:

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Exactly..I love the Mares and was hoping for some of the new hued 2-slotters...still lookin! lol

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Has anyone trained a Unicorn to 5 slots? Or a Kirin?

hungrymedusa1

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Has anyone trained a Unicorn to 5 slots? Or a Kirin?
I am also interested in this. I am planning to but I don't have the starter Uni of my dreams yet. I went negative karma (unnoticed) while scouting/killing them and a para fairy murdered me so I gave up for the day. Dang fairies are FAST especially when you aren't paying attention!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I am also interested in this. I am planning to but I don't have the starter Uni of my dreams yet. I went negative karma (unnoticed) while scouting/killing them and a para fairy murdered me so I gave up for the day. Dang fairies are FAST especially when you aren't paying attention!
Don't kill them... transport them directly to jail don't pass go... I mean turn them in to the Zoo... get points.