• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

merchant quest and VvV *sigh*

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm curious if visitors to cities are attackable and orange, can they attack and kill another innocent with impunity? I realise what happens if they join in with a VvV battle, I'm just curious if a non VvV player gets counts for killing another non VvV player in town while they're both orange. I'd probably struggle to kill a miner these days or I'd test it myself ;)

Wenchy

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I believe I remember a dev stating that you will remain orange until a person in VvV kills you.
It's in the publish AND patch notes. Again it's not the remedy that in debate. It's the lengths that this rule reaches. @Wenchkin just stated it perfectly!

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm curious if visitors to cities are attackable and orange, can they attack and kill another innocent with impunity? I realise what happens if they join in with a VvV battle, I'm just curious if a non VvV player gets counts for killing another non VvV player in town while they're both orange. I'd probably struggle to kill a miner these days or I'd test it myself ;)

Wenchy
VvV participants are orange to me in Fel cities, not just active cities. But I never felt like just testing my limits, although the char I use for Trade Quests is more than capable.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i was just reading this thread and something just dawned on me that at the time i didnt think anything of.

about a hour or 2 after i first got killed in Brit running that trade order in i hopped a moongate with another order to Jhelom and before i took a step i saw a fella standing one tile off the gate and he was Orange to me.
so i just thought to myself, k, no problem, tram it is for this one, and i dd clicked the gate and started heading to tram, guy dropped a greater conflag pot and i took some damage but i already had the gate gump up and was gone a second later.

but im thinking now.... why the hell was he Orange to me in Jhelom, i hadnt even entered the city yet much less get flagged as a blue blocker?!?!?!?!
or for that point why was he Orange to me OUTSIDE of Jhelom at the moongate?!?!?!?!?

seriously strange stuff.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Here's what happened to me. I'm running a second client to assist my first in Trade Deals, this account is not in VvV and was not participating directly in a trade deal. Im' standing in Skara, and suddenly the warning message pops up, like you said, gigantic etc...and it won't let ME gate to leave. I had to run a few steps first, and then 5 seconds later YOU ARE ATTACKABLE....on Siege btw. I wish i could remember the message it gave me when I tried to open my own gate, but can't recall the exact wording.
from what i can gather you cant recall or gate into or out of the town while a VvV battle is going on.
ive been working up my stuff in Skara and i went to recall there and got the message that the destination was not available.
i went to tram side instead no problem.
couple minutes later the thing flashed up and VvV had moved to another town so i was able to start using skara fel again.

so looks like when a VvV town is active its a no fly zone.

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i was just reading this thread and something just dawned on me that at the time i didnt think anything of.

about a hour or 2 after i first got killed in Brit running that trade order in i hopped a moongate with another order to Jhelom and before i took a step i saw a fella standing one tile off the gate and he was Orange to me.
so i just thought to myself, k, no problem, tram it is for this one, and i dd clicked the gate and started heading to tram, guy dropped a greater conflag pot and i took some damage but i already had the gate gump up and was gone a second later.

but im thinking now.... why the hell was he Orange to me in Jhelom, i hadnt even entered the city yet much less get flagged as a blue blocker?!?!?!?!
or for that point why was he Orange to me OUTSIDE of Jhelom at the moongate?!?!?!?!?

seriously strange stuff.
In Fel all VvV players are orange to me now. I can't prove it but I'm sure I'm orange to them. It doesn't matter where I am in Fel, they are orange and attackable. In a non VvV town or outside of towns. In Fel orange permanent and in VvV. I never read anywhere that this was a way of joining. Has there ever been a way to flag grey and stay perma grey?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i guess thats how they make it so we ALL have to play VvV even if we dont want too, haha!

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
so i was just doing a merchant quest, was in fel running from skara to vesper (the long haul) and i had just cleared the bog NE of Brit and was East of the guard tower at the Y turn between brit/yew/vesper and i ran into a Orange fella, guy must have been recalling to his house.

so now im seeing Orange guys in the middle of bloody nowhere in the middle of the forest.

jeeeeezus this is messed up.

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are you guilded(green) but showing orange to yourself?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
im guilded and showing green to myself

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So... if you aren't in VvV and enter a battlezone, you turn orange...and stay that way?

That's absurd. You should remain blue and able to give counts until you intentionally interfere in VvV.

@Kyronix Fix this?

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So... if you aren't in VvV and enter a battlezone, you turn orange...and stay that way?

That's absurd. You should remain blue and able to give counts until you intentionally interfere in VvV.

@Kyronix Fix this?
This is currently working as intended. You are unable to teleport into an active battle and if you enter by foot a gump is displayed that cannot be closed until leaving the battle area, or 30 seconds has passed. After 30 seconds you get flagged as a VvV participant, which results in flagging orange until killed by a VvV player, at which time the participate VvV flag is removed and stat loss is applied. The reason for this is because you can intentionally interfere without agressing/benefiting (which would normally make a blue, orange) anyone.

Lieutenant Dan!

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is currently working as intended. You are unable to teleport into an active battle and if you enter by foot a gump is displayed that cannot be closed until leaving the battle area, or 30 seconds has passed. After 30 seconds you get flagged as a VvV participant, which results in flagging orange until killed by a VvV player, at which time the participate VvV flag is removed and stat loss is applied. The reason for this is because you can intentionally interfere without agressing/benefiting (which would normally make a blue, orange) anyone.
In short if you're in a town and the warning gump appears then the best thing to do is drop the trader quest and recall out because 30 seconds might not be enough time to leave on foot. Could we possibly get a little more warning time, say a minute or 2 so we could at least leave without have to drop the quest?

If we don't make it out in time and go orange then why should we have to get killed to reset it? Wouldn't leaving the town suffice to reset back to blue? or at the least reset at server maintenance? Perma orange for having your play interrupted by a PvP battle is going overboard to protect the sanctity of the battle.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In short if you're in a town and the warning gump appears then the best thing to do is drop the trader quest and recall out because 30 seconds might not be enough time to leave on foot. Could we possibly get a little more warning time say a minute or 2 so we could at least leave without have to drop the quest?
If we don't make it out in time and go orange then why should we have to get killed to reset it? Wouldn't leaving the town suffice to reset back to blue? or at the least reset at server maintenance? Perma orange for having your play interrupted by a PvP battle is going overboard to protect the sanctity of the battle.
What kind of traders quests are you doing? Are you trying to go to Slim or the Trade Minister?

Lieutenant Dan!

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
both times it happened to me I was at the trade minister getting the quest. first time in moonglow I didn't get out in time. The second time was in jhelom I believe but was able to drop quest and recall out in time.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I can see there is a few issues here.
All should have a warning, if they login a town with battle zone or if they recall, gate or run to it.
All should have 30 sec or so to get out if blue when they get the warning.
All, who did not heal or attack VvV, should turn blue again, when the battle is over.
I don't like the "orange until a person in VvV kills you", they should add, you will max stay orange for 3 days unless you interact with VvV again in this 3 days.
I never agrees with towns being the battle zone, there must be a lot other places, useful for battle zones.
How long do a battle last?
How often will a battle start in same town, how many battles in a towns a week?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ok i understand that if im in a town for longer then 30 seconds and VvV is active in that town that i become a combatant because im there.
i get that, i understand that and i agree with it, it works.

what i DONT get is why all these VvV guys are Orange to me where ever i go.
im running into them in the middle of the bloody forest and we are all orange.
im running into them at the moongates and they are orange.
im getting attacked everywhere in fel and im not even IN this bloody fight!

so in short, because i was running a trade quest to the trade minister in Brit, and because i stopped to read the gump when it came up, now im in VvV but at the same time im not.
i get all the down side of VvV (stat, being attackable) and i get none of the perks (toys, goodies, pixil crack)

i shall sit here and ponder how best to insult you while you read and think about that and ill have a witty rebuttal by the time you return.

*depraved insult loading........*

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks for responding..but flagging someone for just being there is an incredibly bad idea. Guilty until proven innocent, or in this case, until killed, is going to do way more harm than good.

While a blue mage could cast fields or something, there must be a better way to code for this. Such as making a blue player's field passable to a VvV player while in a battlezone? Disallow summons in the zones from a non-VvV player, etc.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i decided to go try your new merchant quests, fun, nice little grind.
so im running a order to brit and as i pull onto the screen that the merchant is on this big gump comes onto my screen telling me im attackable... and it dosnt go away, so i drag it over to the side and read it, im in a VvV town so im now openly attackable..... wait what?
gump drops, big red words come up
YOU ARE ATTACKABLE!

so i click the merchant to drop my quest since i cant recall out and as i do up roll the gimps.
me on my lowly merchant.
down i go, lost all my loot and such for all the quests i just did.

so i guess this is MY fault.
im not interested in VvV.... AT ALL, so i didnt read up on it any.
but aparently you cant go into fel towns anymore.
thanks for that dev's.

so that rules out doing the merchant quest in fel i guess.

It is not possible to adventure in felucca any longer, period, or ONLY if one has a character in VvV which basically brings ALL of the characters in that account into VvV ?

Just trying to understand whether felucca is now "off limits" for good.........

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
It is not possible to adventure in felucca any longer, period, or ONLY if one has a character in VvV which basically brings ALL of the characters in that account into VvV ?

Bring some friends and slaughter everyone on sight.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor

its so buggy right now no one knows.
apparently i was only suppose to be orange until i was killed.
but i was instantly killed and put into stat and yet im still orange and getting attacked everywhere in fel now.

so if you dont wanna get waylaid then stay out of fel.
now that i know whats going on i can plan my trips better.
i still live in fel and ill be doing the merchant quests in fel, i just needed to know what the rules of engagement are so i can wear the proper suit and carry the proper supplies for the inevitable fight.

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
its so buggy right now no one knows.
apparently i was only suppose to be orange until i was killed.
but i was instantly killed and put into stat and yet im still orange and getting attacked everywhere in fel now.

so if you dont wanna get waylaid then stay out of fel.
now that i know whats going on i can plan my trips better.
i still live in fel and ill be doing the merchant quests in fel, i just needed to know what the rules of engagement are so i can wear the proper suit and carry the proper supplies for the inevitable fight.
This is why I won't try either of the solutions I thought of doing earlier. Join and opt out, use another account and kill / stat loss potion. Just running through and having this happen is borked, period. Being close to the alter, fine. Really poor way to try to get people to actually go to fel

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well drat!

So if I am marking some runes in a town, and the VvV breaks out. I become permanently orange? Unless I want to go into stat loss?

So no more wandering around in Fel without participating in VvV? I suppose I could wander and avoid all the towns, but not likely.

Kyronix can you give us a minute, minute and a half to get out of town? Some of us are getting slow in our old age.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rather than flagging innocent bystanders, you should either allow for some non-heal/non-combat interference or move the fights to a location which can only be accessed by VvV members. Or even make an underground area for each city which contains the fights, restricting that to VvV people only.

I think your system is highly flawed and you're treating cities with banks, stables and trade buildings as if they're just a blank arena in need of some PvPers ;) This is the same mistake that was made in dumping champ spawns around Fel dungeons and removing PvM spots and recall ability for ordinary PvMers. That should have been contained in a smaller area so our game wasn't disrupted. But here again a whole group of useful areas is now marked as PvP only. Although in a champ spawn I can give counts if someone kills me, and they can't attack me without flagging or the risk of a murder count.

Cities are now the most dangerous location for an ordinary player in Fel... that's kinda silly!

Looks like my tailor needs to train her sheep for some serious combat when she goes into town :D

Wenchy

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well I went ahead and took the plunge, trusting that this would actually work. <Fool that I am> I made a guild of one, joined VvV and resigned. One immediate change that gave me hope is I now highlight green to myself as I should. Now I wait the three days, trusting that this borked up thing will actually do what it's supposed to. I can't help but feel I was forced into this new content by participating in another part of the publish. At least me making this guild of one was my action. I clicked. But even that was forced on me by poor communication.
I have read and reread the publish notes and nowhere in bullet one or two did it was anything about perma flagging for just being there. It simply says you are attackable. To me that was like being in the woods in Fel, be careful do your business and get out. In bullet 3 it says you will flag and stay orange till killed.
Three days to see if it does what it should. I'm not holding my breath.

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And a side note, I can not keep from thinking about what that Advisor told me on day one. Asked me to go to Fel so he could see how I highlighted.
He assured me I was blue to him. I tried politely to suggest he wasn't in VvV but he told me it didn't matter, with a :)
So they are not any more versed on new content than veterans who play and read the boards.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
It's new content and I understand that advisors can't know everything.
I also understand that everything right now works as intended.

I think if the developers find some time to rethink everything and adapt so tailors and smiths and tinkers and the like can go to Felucca cities somewhat safely again, it's ok. If it's changed in due time, I can live with the current system for a few days or two weeks or so, I just hope it will find some direly needed change within reasonable time.

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm assuming there are better rewards for doing these runs in fel? May have to try it.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's new content and I understand that advisors can't know everything.
They're in a position that they should know what they're talking about, or ask someone who does. After 12 years I've forgotten what my friend paged on, but this first-gen advisor was clueless (like if someone asking about spellweaving scroll drop rate was told they can be inscribed).

stupidadvisor.png

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My experience:

I have been doing trade orders on a non- VvV character. On the two occasions that VvV broke out while I was in the fel towns, this happened:

I got the warning gump that I would be attackable if I didn't leave. Without rushing, I had turned back and left (via running out of town or to a moongate). 30 minutes later after I had finished my sandwich, I came back and continued my trade orders.

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Something we can do is to add a button to the warning gump that will teleport you to the nearest moongate if you can't get out fast enough. I think this could help.
Thank Kyronix, that would be a huge help. Since you've been reading, will my tactic of making a guild, joining VvV and resigning work in 3 days after being perma orange? Tanx

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Something we can do is to add a button to the warning gump that will teleport you to the nearest moongate if you can't get out fast enough. I think this could help.
Kyronix, thank you very much for your concern and your reply. On a Sunday. You should rest a little and not work 7 days a week by the way :)

hm how about also adding a checkbox saying "ALWAYS teleport me away from VvV cities, don't ask me again!"?

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thank Kyronix, that would be a huge help. Since you've been reading, will my tactic of making a guild, joining VvV and resigning work in 3 days after being perma orange? Tanx
Yes. After 3 days has passed, the participation flag will be removed as a result of quitting the guild.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You have to quit the guild you're in to get rid of inadvertent "orangeness"? Uh, that's a bad, bad thing, especially if the character that inadvertently became orange is the guild leader or is in an inactive guild with no active emissaries or guild leader to let them back in the guild after they quit!

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think you can try joining VvV then use the Resign from VvV button. <Same button, lower left>. But Kyronix will have to confirm.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
what an interesting last half a hour!
i got a PM from Kyronix asking me a few questions about where all i was showing up Orange.
so i took my4th account and put a unguilded guy into VvV then went a bunch of places and met my guy that got killed doing the quest. the results where very surprising to me.
in a nut shell i was blue in tram facets but i was Orange EVERYWHERE in fel.
which means i was openly attackable EVERYWHERE in fel.
even in my house!
hahahhaha

so Kyronix asked to meet me in game.
we spent a while talking about what exactly happened and such and he was doing his thing (looking at the code im assuming) and in the end this is what happened.

when i ran into the town that had the VvV battle going (that i didnt know was going on) i got the bump come up on my screen.
gump said leave or you will be considered a combatant.
i stood there and read the gump, was trying to figure out what was going on, gump dropped and some fortunate pvp guy happened to be right there and smacked my poor merchant down and killed me.
now, here is where i messed up.
i ran a couple screens over and res'd in town, in the combat area.
apparently that is a VERY VERY BAD THING!
from what he was saying when i died that should have tooken me out of my Orange status and i should have left and res'd elsewhere BUT since i res'd in the combat zone that marks you (me) as perma Orange.

so that is what happened.

so long story short, if you are in town and turn orange and die, leave, res somewhere else.
resing IN the battle area will mark you as perma orange.

i asked him if i should test this, go die in a VvV town again to a VvV guy and go res somewhere else, and thats what im gonna go do right now, cause really chances of this happening again to me are probably pretty high since i live and play in fel pretty much exclusively.

he did mention that there is zero benefit from doing the merchant quest in fel over tram.
well other then the fel luck bump when killing the ambush critters.
but for doing the quest itself you gain nothing from doing it in fel over tram.

so i guess we can say that the merchant quest is suppose to be a tram thing.

thanks Kyronix from stopping by for the chat, was fun!

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OK @Poo you rez'd in town. I survived my run through Jhelom and recalled out. Yet I was seeing what you were and still. I'm orange to me, I see VvV people orange anywhere in Fel and I'd bet you a wooden nickel I'm orange to them. I got a solution that will just take a little time, so no issue one char staying out of Fel. I know better now and if your a blue stay the h@ll out of Fel Virtue towns. It's a shame because all my crafters and resource gathers use Fel because it's quiet and the bonus to resources. But what about the casual player that just plays a bit and doesn't read constantly about the game?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
you have to die.
once you have turned orange you have to die and NOT res in the combat area.
thats what i got out of my conversation.
so go back into a VvV combat area and die, then go to the moongate and go to ilsh or luna and res, that should fix you.... i think.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
so i took my same guy (after i was fixed by the higher powers) and i went back into a active VvV town, i took my 4th account guy and waited until my merchant turned OJ then i killed him.
ran him out to the moongate, res's in luna, waited out stat (yaaa stat) then went back and got my body, im blue again.

so i think the ticket here is if you stumble into a combat town that is active and you get turned orange you have to die then go res somewhere else other then the combat zone.

does it suck.
ya.

but i can see where their logic is, it keeps people on trial accounts from blue blocking the VvV shrines and such.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Thank you for sharing that Poo. Well I mean not "that poo" but that information... Poo. You know what I mean.

*walks away*
Zuckuss want to play with Poo!
neener neener!!

Loco179

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you come to Fel at all. You are subject to any attack. Sorry that is how the game was designed from the beginning.

I honestly believe every good item needs to drop in the Fel rule set. The players are the hardest to overcome. This game was designed with difficulty in mind.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
oh i dont mind fighting in fel.
infact i live in fel and play in fel pretty much 99% of my play time.
i just dont like when they put stuff in the game and dont tell us.
had i known i was openly attackable in brit (town) i would have dressed for the occasion is all.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would it work if you are on a trade quest?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Please allow us to understand...

As I undesrtood it, if a Town happens to become a VvV war zone and a player NOT in VvV happens to be in that same Town, the player becomes freely attackable anyways (i.e. even if he/she choose NOT to join VvV...).

Therefore, at that point the player gets a Gump warning him/her of the situation and that they are in danger to be freely attacked while in that Town.

Is that so ?

Assuming it is, you suggest adding a button to the gump which would teleport this player (NOT in VvV...) to the nearest public Moongate to escape the dangerous war zone of the Town.

Question, what would prevent other players to just hang out by that Moongate to wait for players being teleported there to kill them (someone might use the term "pkill"...) on sight ??

I mean, if it is foreseable that a Town becomes a war zone, it is known which is the nearest public Moongate. Therefore, it is easy by "pkillers" to just hang out there and wait for players escaping the Town war zone through the teleporting button to pkill them a go-go....

If I got it all right, any better idea to avoid bringing back player killing a go-go in UO and making Felucca an off limits facet for a whole lot of UO players ?

Thanks.