• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

In concept - Virtue vs Vice

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This "constant" playing is what is the problem. HI-5 popped a harrower at 10 p.m. central time the other day. The fight ended at 2:00 a.m. when I decided to log out. The problem was that HI-5 probably had 100+ kill counts on NAP LNR EVO LD N2D2 and other guilds that were all fighting AGAINST HI-5. At the end I think Ezra counted about 28 people rushing the harrower when we finally died. But we held that harrower and killed everyone NUMEROUS times for 6 hours. Now why should the blues, that have no lives, and can stay up extremely late due to no girlfriends or jobs win the fight due to they can keep rezzing and coming back? IF there was a 5 minute stat loss for EVERY death in fel, that would still have fights that last a while, but it would also help the skilled players win the objective (like the harrower). Why are 10 people skilled enough to hold off 28 blues for 6 hours punished because they can just keep rezzing up and get into the fight. AND NOW, they want to give a buff to people who die? That's ridiculous.

Mesanna, if you read this, this is how to fix factions.
1. Keep ephermal on the Artifacts. That was a great idea, props on that.
2. Get rid of the timer or get rid of rank and pay the regular price of silver every month (5k for orny) instead of 45k silver or whatever ridiculous amount it is.
3.Go back to the regular point distribution. No assists, no heals, no blues statting me.
That is all that you have to do and the whole faction system will be fixed.

Keep factions. Implement this V v V or whatever it is. But wiping out factions will not bring more fighting but rather less fighting. People in trammel who are die-hard trammys will never pvp in there life if you gave them insta-one-hit-kill weapons against real pvpers. They don't like it, they like going to events. They like masks, they don't like fighting other people. It's their nature and you're not going to change that. But for the people whose nature is PvP combat, fix the system in the right way. Don't wipe out the only thing keeping most of the pvp together for the chance that some trammys might go to Fel.

- Zora
When I pvp my main objective is to kill people until I get bored/tired. You sound you need to pvp for items (scrolls) so you NEED stat loss. Constant pvp leaves full time pvpers with something to do instead of pvming waiting on guilds to get out of stat. All the large scale guilds were non factions pre faction arties and some are still non faction today.

I think you need to read the concept again: Wounding is a DEbuff not a buff.

Like I said: I could care less about broken factions. I want a solid pvp system where I can get a fight anytime I want.

BmBlackmage

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Lythos, the point of stat is to have a winner. Most faction pvp is guild vs guild, and it's hard to say who wins if there's no possible way of actually "winning". Who cares about scrolls? Certaintly not pvpers(most) who have played this game for 13+ years, scrolls are just another method of "winning". I myself don't even bother checking scrolls I loot, I just take them so that the people we beat don't get them, but then I don't bother banking them. I dunno, nostaglia is a big part of this game, and I don't think that EA should let that fall by the wayside.

Last edited:

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree that they shouldnt remove factions, instead fix them and implement the V-V , i like the idea so far.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here are some examples of why you cannot give a 'traitor' penalty to killing someone on your own side.
Lets say you're in Virtue and you're doing a champ or something, and a guild of reds come along who have a couple of players in Virtue with them, the players in Virtue heal the reds, you will then get a penalty for killing that Virtue player who is healing the reds???

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've a few questions

What is stopping players from obtaining rewards on non populated shards and shipping them to populated shards and so decreasing the value of the rewards like they do with powerscrolls?

What is stopping everyone from joining the same side in order to win the rewards? For example, in factions people would join different sides to fight without reward, in this VV system, the winners get the reward so say Virtue has 20 people and Vice has 3, why would a player join Vice knowing his team will never get the rewards?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've a few questions

What is stopping players from obtaining rewards on non populated shards and shipping them to populated shards and so decreasing the value of the rewards like they do with powerscrolls?

What is stopping everyone from joining the same side in order to win the rewards? For example, in factions people would join different sides to fight without reward, in this VV system, the winners get the reward so say Virtue has 20 people and Vice has 3, why would a player join Vice knowing his team will never get the rewards?

Factions used to have a balancing rule that kicked in once any particular faction had more than 200 members. When a character would try to join a faction, the system would check to see if the if the largest faction was as large or larger then three times the size of the smallest faction. If the largest faction was three times as large as the smallest faction, then the player attempting to join had to pick a different faction to join. (For example, if Minax had 200 members and each of the three other factions only had 1 member apiece, if you tried to join Minax you would be told you have to join a different faction. If instead each of the three other factions had between 68 and 200 members each, you could join any of the factions.) If a guild leader tried to add their guild to factions and doing so would have made that faction more than three times the size of the smallest faction, the guild leader couldn't join that faction and had to try a different one.

The balancing rule flew out the window in 2008 or so, however, along with several other rules. However, I remember before it was discontinued, I and several other people I knew had to use extra accounts to put characters into other factions when the large faction guild I was in switched shards in early 2007. You had to guess which faction was the small one if you really didn't know and hope you were right the first time, because it took a week to get out of factions at that point. One of the things that was a bit aggravating about the rule was how many "inactive" faction members were being counted when the balancing rule was checked if someone wanted to join a faction. At that time, too, your character had to be at least 30 days old to join factions and you could only have one character per account per shard in factions. As a result, people who were diehard factioneers that traveled from one shard to another and stayed a while before moving on tended to have multiple accounts because of all those rules.

I honestly don't know how effective the balancing rule really was, but at least it was there.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Factions used to have a balancing rule that kicked in once any particular faction had more than 200 members. When a character would try to join a faction, the system would check to see if the if the largest faction was as large or larger then three times the size of the smallest faction. If the largest faction was three times as large as the smallest faction, then the player attempting to join had to pick a different faction to join. (For example, if Minax had 200 members and each of the three other factions only had 1 member apiece, if you tried to join Minax you would be told you have to join a different faction. If instead each of the three other factions had between 68 and 200 members each, you could join any of the factions.) If a guild leader tried to add their guild to factions and doing so would have made that faction more than three times the size of the smallest faction, the guild leader couldn't join that faction and had to try a different one.

The balancing rule flew out the window in 2008 or so, however, along with several other rules. However, I remember before it was discontinued, I and several other people I knew had to use extra accounts to put characters into other factions when the large faction guild I was in switched shards in early 2007. You had to guess which faction was the small one if you really didn't know and hope you were right the first time, because it took a week to get out of factions at that point. One of the things that was a bit aggravating about the rule was how many "inactive" faction members were being counted when the balancing rule was checked if someone wanted to join a faction. At that time, too, your character had to be at least 30 days old to join factions and you could only have one character per account per shard in factions. As a result, people who were diehard factioneers that traveled from one shard to another and stayed a while before moving on tended to have multiple accounts because of all those rules.

I honestly don't know how effective the balancing rule really was, but at least it was there.
ok, a system like that could work.

But what about the issue of people obtaining the rewards "offline" (on non populated shards) and shipping them to populated shards or simply obtaining rewards at non-peak time (when few people are on) like they do with powerscrolls?

I guess if you need at least 10 people there this is not an issue

Last edited:

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have fought against Kage and his guild for 2+ years and I absolutely hate all of them. But this ^^ is exactly what needs to happen. Which means a lot if I really dislike their guild.. I have 5 vets that would return INSTANTLY if factions returned to the normal status. A lot of people are saying "old pvpers don't want changes". I'm 17 I'm not even old and the reason I dislike this so much is not due to it being a change, but rather due to it being unnecessary and unreasonable. If this gets put out and especially if the "no stat-loss" gets put out. I'm done with this game and turning my account off that minute. Everyone should atleast have a 5 minute stat due to dying. DYING means you lose sorry not you have some punishment. Not a ridiculous "wounded" buff and get special bonuses like a handicap when you die. That is completely ridiculous. Also another thing I dislike, 75% of the all the people commenting on this thread are trammys and don't fight in fel and have never stepped in fel. So why are they deciding the only facet I play in ? They have Ilsh, Malas, Tram, Tokuno Islands, and Ter Mur to decide stuff in. Let the pvpers decide fel ideas. If you don't pvp please just don't comment on this thread.
Factions were perfect before the change. (besides the millions of points but I didn't care)
Factions were changed due to trammys crying about another trammy had MR 3 on his Orny and that trammy didn't know how to do it.
Trammys are now still deciding Fel ideas and events.
That's why factions died.
This will be 100% death of factions. Don't put this into the game. Fix the new ideas please, I'm like begging you. The only reason I play is to put people in stat. That's the only reason. The shrines is a good idea but why allow a guild to keep resurrecting for 3 hours due to mass numbers and allow them to be stronger after they resurrect?
That's my thoughts on this subject, I feel like rambling, but I just can't get through enough for you to understand this will be the ultimate death of factions and pvp.
-Zora
Zora calm down a little bit, I think the 'wounded' buff you're given after you die will surely be a debuff not a buff :p

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Zora calm down a little bit, I think the 'wounded' buff you're given after you die will surely be a debuff not a buff :p
Yup, from the notes it sounds like you´re gonna take more damage for a while after being ressed.

I think Zora´s just a little stressed from having a life, a girlfriend AND a job, all at the age of 17... :p

Multi Dwagon

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup, from the notes it sounds like you´re gonna take more damage for a while after being ressed.

I think Zora´s just a little stressed from having a life, a girlfriend AND a job, all at the age of 17... :p

He's 12.

OMG A GIANT ROCK

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I reread and it says debuff :( but it still sounds like a buff. "damage modifier to incoming damage" I don't know how that would work but if I get flamestriked for 70 I'm done :( but it really wouldn't surprise me if they meant "buff".

When I pvp my main objective is to kill people until I get bored/tired. You sound you need to pvp for items (scrolls) so you NEED stat loss. Constant pvp leaves full time pvpers with something to do instead of pvming waiting on guilds to get out of stat. All the large scale guilds were non factions pre faction arties and some are still non faction today.

I think you need to read the concept again: Wounding is a DEbuff not a buff.

Like I said: I could care less about broken factions. I want a solid pvp system where I can get a fight anytime I want.
On Atlantic you can get a fight whenever you want, if you play a red. Go to yew and kill the same person 500x, tons of fun. And I have constant pvp. I can go pop a harrower and get pvp. I can go to fire and get pvp. I can tell people I'm at wrong and get pvp. I can go to yew and get pvp. I can go to IDOCS and get pvp. That is constant pvp. CONSTANT pvp shouldn't mean that I lose the fight due to the others fighting for 6+ hours and dying about 200x and never getting any penalty because a blue can just resurrect and come back for me to kill him for the 15th time. I don't find any "enjoyment" killing the same person 15x because they keep resurrecting and being an annoyance (HIM). I'd rather have a solid hour fight that 30+ people come to fight my guild and us winning due to being better and playing smarter, than us losing due to us being better and playing smarter but some of our guilds logs off 6 hours into the fight and the other just keeps coming and coming and coming and bringing more people and coming back the next 15 seconds due to NO PENALTY TO DYING. This game is ridiculous in that aspect. If you used to die you lost everything you owned. Then they implemented insurance and now in 2013, supplies and 7k gold for insurance means nothing (I've gained 3.3 mil ininsurance in the past 2 years.) Blues can keep coming back to the fight to continue dying due to the fact they don't have a consequence to own up to after death. Just go play My Little Pony or Dora. Look at any respected game. There is a penalty in everything. Call of Duty- you die a lot , you end up losing due to dying is a bad thing. Minecraft- you die you lose your level and all your stuff unless you can find it in 5 minutes. Runescape- you lose your stuff unless you can find it in 5 minutes. And I'm sure every other MMO such as LoL or WoW have consequences for dying. Everyone in the game that is in Fel should have a stat of 5 minutes due to dying. That makes people play smarter, that makes people become better in the game. Most responses to this is "why should sucky people that are wanting to learn to pvp be penalized for dying?" The answer to that is because they will become better players. They won't want to die so they will learn how to survive. Faction players are 10x better than most blue players. Due to they play smarter most of the time when fighting oranges because they don't want to go stat. 85% of the blues that sit in yew all day to wait for a red to come and finally get dismounted by one of the 1000 stealthers in yew do not get better in this game. They sit in the guardzone and wait. All day. People like Crimson Invasion, Jess, Talos and many more people that just sit in yew all day, are bad, were bad, and will be bad without improvement unless they have 5 minutes of stat to face up to when they die. People like Desa, Itachi, Mossy, Hektik, Boadi, and many more who join factions and were people who sat in yew all day, actually improve. Everyone sees it. They improved because they got better to started playing better in order to reduce how frequent they have stat-loss. Stat sucks. But it helps the better guild win the official fight and it improves players. I vote to keep the 20 minute stat time due to faction deaths and any other death is 5 minutes.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Its Felucca bud. Interference is part of the gameplay and always has been. If you are an experienced pvper it is not a big issue.

There is no way possible to change that. Are you going to tell me that blue Virtue/Vice players wont be messing with non participating players by walling and fielding? Of course not because they will. If your Vice guild is hanging at the gate and some of your reds decide to pk non participating blues your blues will be helping with walls and heals, etc...

Wouldn't be right if you could do that but never have your special little group fighting messed with.
NO ONE CARES if blues are being attacked by Virtue/Vice players, because blues can just NOT FLAG and hide in the guard zone as they often do. This is a NON-ISSUE. The real issue is 70% of the felucca playerbase sitting in the moongate on blues, until someone grey/red get's dismounted in which case they all jump in; or in this case, attacking the faction guild with the most reds (usually the only guild with reds). When guilds faction fight each other, and blues attack the red faction members, Faction members only play on blues. Hardly anyone actually plays reds on Atl anymore. Go to Yew on Atl, the blue/red ratio is like 8:2. Most other shards, one's where people actually play reds, aren't as active faction wise. GL has practically no factions and it's the second most popular pvp shard in the United States. You rarely have anything to say that includes arguments with any substance. You are only "dumbing down" UO and contributing to it's decay. Please stop posting.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Only when someone is making no sense at all.

And last time I checked you weren't even playing UO much at all anymore in your own words.

So basically it sounds to me like you are not a factor. Just a historian maybe?
YOU'RE NOT MAKING ANY SENSE!

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I fail to see where your constant trolling is either helpful or beneficial.... Just what is it you are adding to this conversation? Other than being a complete Troll?

If you don't have a comment or suggestion relative to the conversation you ought to just keep your nasty BS to yourself. I for one am fed up with your constant downgrading of other posters.
It's funny how the people with the least substance, have the most to say. I'm getting tired of this guy. Thread after thread, every topic we discuss I try to have a respectful, intelligent conversation about the direction I'd like to take the game in, only to be trolled by this guy on EVERY point I try to make. He never actually has good points to make. He just tried to equate Vice/Virtue members attacking blues (probably because he plays a blue) with blues attacking red Vice/Virtue participants. Of course this isn't a big deal, except when Vice/Virtue participants are fighting OTHER Vice/Virtue participants. Now if he said, "Well these are the rules of felucca. You can't go red without expecting some consequences" I'd concede. But instead, he's trying to point out that Vice/Virtue members might interfere in blue fights (even though blues can just *Not Flag* and sit in the guard zone)... right... Because that's a MAJOR issue in Ultima Online. Furthermore I bet they actually give his opinion some serious consideration.

P.S. Goldberg, I'm talking about YOU. Not Malagaste...

Last edited:

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Factions has been a broken system for years.

All it does is promote ganking and chest thumping while handing out overpowered pixel crack. 5 guys that just dismounted and ran down 1 poor slob spend the next 5 minutes trash talking in gen chat while spamming punkte. Lol at that.

Order/Chaos was always the best system. Orange attacks orange. Any and everywhere. Period.

Unfortunately once factions started all the ADD pixel junkies decided they would never again pvp without their pixel crack :(

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Get off the trammy train the trammys never asked for the changes that where put in to factions. The trammys didn't do anything different than you pvpers. The trammys got the arties went back to trammel, but the pvpers that joined got the arties went to yew gate or spawns. I'm very proud to be a trammy I don't pvp, but I'm a faction base defender I did a good job on helping defend my base. I never used faction arties to use in trammel I never wanted or needed a crutch to make my way in this game.

I remember when I first joined shadow lords as my first faction base, and working with Cardell (ego) guild. Cardell wasn't one who wanted to sit at a base guarding sigs he wanted to pvp. Which was ok with us base defenders, but we knew that when he was on that he would be at the base if we needed him, and his guild.

So anyone can join factions, but a true faction player knows how to work together be a tram or fel player, pvper, base defender, or whatever knows how to work as a team to come out on top. If your a true faction player you would know this, and stop crying trammy ruined factions when the blame goes further than them.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Factions has been a broken system for years.

All it does is promote ganking and chest thumping while handing out overpowered pixel crack. 5 guys that just dismounted and ran down 1 poor slob spend the next 5 minutes trash talking in gen chat while spamming punkte. Lol at that.

Order/Chaos was always the best system. Orange attacks orange. Any and everywhere. Period.

Unfortunately once factions started all the ADD pixel junkies decided they would never again pvp without their pixel crack :(
Chaos Shields.
Order Shields.

For years, the best shields in the game, and for years (until AoS, at which point they really were just ordinary shields) available only to Order/Chaos participants.

Behold, the original Faction Artifacts; or the original PvP "pixel crack."

-Galen's player

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I'm sorry but I think you're just listening to the wrong people for feedback and you devs are just so far out of touch with the pvp side of the game. It's a shame because the old UO is still the standard pvp games are held to these days and you've strayed so far from it.

Can I just make a suggestion. In an effort to get on the same page as the devs. Can the devs please list the top 10 issues/problems the factions have from their perspective. I think if we can get this information from you we can move forward with a very constructive discussion on how to fix the factions with out scrapping them... The system itself is incredible and it really pains me to see you take it away. Since factions came out 98% of my time in-game was dealing with factions and I really really just don't undetstand how the state of the factions have gotten to this point.. It still has so much potential. It just needs people who know about it to help fix it. And I'm sorry to say, the people who are helping you make these decisions are just way off. The system you are designing will not work. It has grief written all over it.

~Anthius Disius - e-GO
Chessy, ATL, GL
You know what's funny? I've asked TONS of pvpers about this system, and most of them don't even know what it is or that it's being discussed. I imagine it will be a surprise to many of them when it goes through, only for the few who still do faction fight to rage quit. You know who does know about this and wants it to go through? All the bluebies who aren't in a pvp guild, or the one's sitting in tram who like to pretend they are pvpers and understand the system. But guess who they listen to the most? The one's who speak up the most. Everyone has an opinion, but hardly anyone has any great points to make. Your request of the devs is one of those few exceptional points. When they make a change, not just nerfing something, but COMPLETELY scrapping it, they need to justify that action. A LOT of pvpers who use the current faction system deserve at least that. A lot of them are going to quit anyway if this goes through, but they at least deserve to be told WHY. But lets be honest, we know the devs here, and once they set their minds to something, they almost ALWAYS go through with it, no matter how bad it is. It's like politics. They'll never admit when they were wrong about something.

If you want to know what I think, I think they're trying to make the game more like Warkraft. Dumb it down for all the bluebies who read this board, who want to engage in group pvp but either aren't geared enough for it or lack the skill. I understand and agree with the notion that UO is single-handedly the hardest game to participate in it's pvp. First you have to invest hundreds of millions into suits, and then you need to learn how to play and get good, and in UO today, that can take years. It's not wow where they divide people up into battlegrounds based on their level, or even when you finish your char, there is a grind to get gear, but it's simplified and nothing like UO and it's extremely complex crafting and artifact systems. Or that you can play Wow battlegrounds for a couple weeks before you get really good at it. UO is hard, and we do need to do a better job reaching out to noobs. I think that's why they want to do away with the 4 faction system. They want to simplify it, make only 2 just like horde and alliance. In such a system, as opposed to our current free for all, you have far more allies. In UO today, if you are solo on a faction char, it's very difficult to survive, let alone kill anyone, when everyone else in the faction system travels in groups. If you are solo (as many noobs will be) in the new system, half the people in that system will be your allies. As I said, I think they're trying to reach out and cater to these uninvolved blues who don't participate in the current system.

But what they fail to realize is that this same group is STILL going to avoid this system. They might like it in theory, because it's something new and they hate being steamrolled in the current faction system, but when it actually gets put into practice, they're going to realize that they're still going to die a lot and still have stat loss- or whatever is being used as a substitute for that; and being vulnerable to attack on a regular basis, along with having some kind of severe penalty for dying is what's going to keep them away from it. Do you know how I know? Go to yew on atl and watch the monstrous amount of blues sitting at the gate. They all sit there, on a blue so no one can attack them, waiting for one grey or red to get dismounted so they can all jump in and gank. Sometimes even THEN they don't jump in until the person is below half life, and they almost NEVER do in faction fights until someone is low. They're like scared mice, afraid to come out of their hole. Now I can understand why, most faction guilds are elitist d-bags who make 0 attempt to bring in noobs and cultivate them, teaching them the ins and outs of pvp. And if these blues were to create their own guilds and recruit each other and go red, they would get steamrolled by the better, more experienced faction guilds, along with all the other blues who sit at the gate. But this Vice/Virtue system is not a good way to get them involved. As I said, they're not going to participate anyway. It's only going to alienate the current faction fighters who have come to love and appreciate the current system (minus the recent changes to rank and gear). One of the amazing things about the current UO pvp system, is that you can just about attack ANYONE, ANYWHERE within the felucca facet (excluding blues in the gardzone). This is what encourages people to unite under guild banners, and hence socialize and make friends; because unless you do that, EVERYONE is a potential enemy.

P.S. Look at what battle-ground fighting has done for open-world pvp in Warkraft or Swtor or for any other game that's tried it. It's dead.

Last edited:

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
While so many people were concerned with the essentially mythical problem of "Trammies" who wore the artifacts in Trammel and ignored Fel, the real issue, as I'd stated repeatedly, was people who joined Factions for the l33t items and an excuse to fight.
"People join factions for the leet items and an excuse to fight."
Why is this a problem again?
You mentioned "mythical problems?"

Last edited:

Mithryl Elves

Elves Suck
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The goals look straight forward, I hope these goals are met.

Honestly, I do not agree with the whole faction system being "removed", Instead it would make more sense to incorporate these ideas into the faction system.

1. keep it at 4 Opposing sides, most active pvp shards (as other's have mentioned) do have more than 2 pvp guilds that enjoy fighting each other, or they just don't get along with one another to be on the "same side", the faction system already supports this multi-team fights.

2. these encampments are already placed and functional (Faction bases),

3. This is the biggest thing that (IMO) could have completely saved UO from publish 77s faction butchering, If this is possible, why wasn't this done long ago? It allows artifacts to be easier to obtain for "PVP use-only" instead of players joining on their "Trammie chars" to farm things in non-pvp areas.

4. this is going to need a bit more thoroughly explained, reading the post I assumed the "teams" would be fighting at shrines, this, to me, suggests it's a "Que" that possibly teleports each team-member to a battle-field of some sort?

5. Factions already has this, though there was (maybe still is an exploit) that allows players to join multiple factions on the same account ?

6. Add this to the faction stone, in each faction base, If possible it would be absolutely amazing if you could allow even enemy factions to view who is on, in opposing factions as well. (easy confirmation of numbers in each faction.

Sound's like this could be really fun, especially if you guys could incorporate it in with the already-existing faction system an keep it divided up between 4 teams instead of 2. giving people something to fight over (the shrine, which potentially will reward the victors with some sort of buff).
I really like the idea of "Wounded" debuff, in-place of stat-loss. 5-10 minutes would probably be better than 20 though.

1. Awesome, rewarding both sides, it's not really such a big deal if you lose, Well maybe, We need to know what kind of "Buffs" we're talkin about here... (I assume they're going to be pretty equivalent to that of Trade Deals from the Governors.

2. Hopefully there would be a way to divide this 4 ways, (or maybe keep this "tie" 2 ways) but have the two "evil" factions (SL/Minax) vs two "good" factions (TB/Com) would probably work out for the shards that have multiple enemy guilds.
Very good post Xavior....

There is no reason for them to remove factions though. It really bothers me that its even being discussed as a possibility. Like I said, this is what happens when people who paint masks now want to fix something they know nothing about. Factions is one thing that has kept UO going now for 16 years. New designers came and went over the years and didn't do much with factions mainly because there wasn't much to do. Now we have one that wants to completely remove it that just makes me sick.

FIX STAT LOSS (SHORTEN OR REMOVE IT)

WE HAVE RISK (ATTACKABLE ANYWHERE IN FELUCCA)
WE HAVE REWARD (ARTIFACTS AND WARHORSES)

WE HAVE BASES ALREADY. MEsanna do you even know what the torn down building outside Papua in T2A is without someone telling you real quick? Its the old Minax base and everytime I run by it I get chills thinking about old fights there with old friends who have left this game over the years as change happened. Sure we need some change and I'll be the first to admit that there is some great content in UO now. That you have done a great job so far and if old players would give UO a chance they could love the game again too but damn girl this one will make pvpers hate you. You should really rethink this and incorporate some of it into the old but good system. It starts with changing stat loss though.

Mithryl Elves

Elves Suck
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Right, they could even just give the items to everyone tbh. I could care less. I dont even use faction artifacts on my chars now with shame loot:)

OMG A GIANT ROCK

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Get off the trammy train the trammys never asked for the changes that where put in to factions. The trammys didn't do anything different than you pvpers. The trammys got the arties went back to trammel, but the pvpers that joined got the arties went to yew gate or spawns. I'm very proud to be a trammy I don't pvp, but I'm a faction base defender I did a good job on helping defend my base. I never used faction arties to use in trammel I never wanted or needed a crutch to make my way in this game.

I remember when I first joined shadow lords as my first faction base, and working with Cardell (ego) guild. Cardell wasn't one who wanted to sit at a base guarding sigs he wanted to pvp. Which was ok with us base defenders, but we knew that when he was on that he would be at the base if we needed him, and his guild.

So anyone can join factions, but a true faction player knows how to work together be a tram or fel player, pvper, base defender, or whatever knows how to work as a team to come out on top. If your a true faction player you would know this, and stop crying trammy ruined factions when the blame goes further than them.
I don't want to argue with you mainly for the reason that you don't know the difference of "where and were" which I underlined and bolded above, but I have a question. You are a trammy. You admitted it. Why are you posting on a pvp idea thread? This has nothing to do with you. You have Medusa, SA, Tokuno Islands, Travesty, Malas, Tram, Ter Mur, Ilsh and many more than my character isn't even allowed to go to due to him being red. So please, let me have my one thing I enjoy in UO, which is faction pvp. This thread does not concern you at all. Also, you said the trammys never were to blame? The whole reason Mesanna is wanting to put this into the game is for there to be more trammys that come and fight! Woot! Every faction player was only complaining about the bugs that need fixed of when we go stat due to blues killing us. That is the only thing we are complaining about. Want to know why blues stat us? Because roughly 3 years ago trammys cried to Mesanna and EA about another trammy having Mana Regeneration 3 on there Orny and that trammy whom was crying didn't know how to get that. Which then made Mesanna think that she had to change everything about Factions with Ephermal (which was great) and rank and point distribution and assists and healings and kill shots and reduction of points and losing points every day which caused the death of factions on smaller scaled shards. So that all leads to what? Oh my god the trammys! All she has to do is fix the coding with the assist timer in factions and it will be fixed. Now since this thread still has no importance to you, please stay off it. If you're going to pvp then you can stay on it but this has no importance to you. So let me UO and you can keep the 95% rest of the game. But the 5% factions is mine.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As I have stated previously, in this thread and in other threads on this topic, this was an issue because it squeezed out the people who long had kept Factions alive, playing Factions for Factions' sake and used the parts of the Factions system that didn't necessarily involve direct confrontation PvP.

Factions was an all-encompassing system, incorporating many playstyles. The proposed system won't replace it in that sense. It can't. And I don't think it's intended to.

I think it's pitched towards folks such as yourself, and it'll likely succeed in some fashion.

-Galen's player

OMG A GIANT ROCK

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Very good post Xavior....

There is no reason for them to remove factions though. It really bothers me that its even being discussed as a possibility. Like I said, this is what happens when people who paint masks now want to fix something they know nothing about. Factions is one thing that has kept UO going now for 16 years. New designers came and went over the years and didn't do much with factions mainly because there wasn't much to do. Now we have one that wants to completely remove it that just makes me sick.

FIX STAT LOSS (SHORTEN OR REMOVE IT)

quote]
Hey noob :( I know you like the forever fights but stat should be a part of the game or I quit :( :heart:
Love you Mith
-Zora

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't want to argue with you mainly for the reason that you don't know the difference of "where and were" which I underlined and bolded above, but I have a question. You are a trammy. You admitted it. Why are you posting on a pvp idea thread? This has nothing to do with you. You have Medusa, SA, Tokuno Islands, Travesty, Malas, Tram, Ter Mur, Ilsh and many more than my character isn't even allowed to go to due to him being red. So please, let me have my one thing I enjoy in UO, which is faction pvp. This thread does not concern you at all. Also, you said the trammys never were to blame? The whole reason Mesanna is wanting to put this into the game is for there to be more trammys that come and fight! Woot! Every faction player was only complaining about the bugs that need fixed of when we go stat due to blues killing us. That is the only thing we are complaining about. Want to know why blues stat us? Because roughly 3 years ago trammys cried to Mesanna and EA about another trammy having Mana Regeneration 3 on there Orny and that trammy whom was crying didn't know how to get that. Which then made Mesanna think that she had to change everything about Factions with Ephermal (which was great) and rank and point distribution and assists and healings and kill shots and reduction of points and losing points every day which caused the death of factions on smaller scaled shards. So that all leads to what? Oh my god the trammys! All she has to do is fix the coding with the assist timer in factions and it will be fixed. Now since this thread still has no importance to you, please stay off it. If you're going to pvp then you can stay on it but this has no importance to you. So let me UO and you can keep the 95% rest of the game. But the 5% factions is mine.
Seriously You really think I give a rats azz what you think or what you want? I and others also have the right to post in this thread get use to it because I'm not going anywhere I know my rights. Your right I do have the other faucets to play, but I also have fel and factions to play in to so ill be in that faucet to.
What I love most about Fel is the idocs when I get on my stealth character stealth around you reds pvpers, and yoink lots of items out from under your nose. Best idoc was when a keep fell and I yoinked 89 % of the items out from under 2 reds who went afk and didnt get back til i had most of it moved. THAT WAS THE BEST !!!!!!!. I'll play my way you play yours when you pay for me to play ou even then I'll do what I want. Since your 12 years old and really don't know any better I'll give you a pass on your unrespectfull attitude.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I enjoyed factions but got frustrated with it when they couldn't win at breaking into the base and they had to resort to recalling in on there characters in our faction so they could kill us from within... This tactic was extremely lame in my opinion and because of that and folk who could basically walk thru any obstacles put in their way with all their hacks and cheats... I eventually decided that Factions weren't as much fun anymore and more of a hassle than they were worth and quit. Oh and I didn't much care for the concept many had that you all had to be in the same guild/alliance which I really didn't want because I RP in Tram and don't need in Fel dudes messing up my RP battles by thinking that because they are green to me in Tram it's ok to kill on sight.. and all .... don't care for the hassles it all brought.

I think the new system has some good points.

I really though don't like the idea of deleting the faction bases... I mean you can deactivate them and do something else but don't delete the stuff.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mervyn's Proposal Draft 1

A 'wounded' debuff for any player killed anywhere (trammel or fel)

Have 9 teams (one for each virtue)

Shrines can be claimed by any team at certain set times of the day (a notice will be given when shrine claiming can begin as a system message)

The reward for claiming a shrine during times identified as 'peak time' will be greater than that of shrine claiming during times deemed as 'off-peak'

If the player receiving the reward is dead the reward will drop on the corpse of that player.

The reward can be used in tram or fel but will be bound to its native shard.

BOOM

Last edited:

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mervyn's Proposal Draft 1

A 'wounded' debuff for any player killed anywhere (trammel or fel)

Have 9 teams (one for each virtue)

Shrines can be claimed by any team at certain set times of the day (a notice will be given when shrine claiming can begin as a system message)

The reward for claiming a shrine during times identified as 'peak time' will be greater than that of shrine claiming during times deemed as 'off-peak'

If the player receiving the reward is dead the reward will drop on the corpse of that player.

The reward can be used in tram or fel but will be bound to its native shard.

Factions: remain

Make all faction arties near free but be bound to felucca ownly

If you're killed by predominantly a non faction character then you're not in stat loss.

BOOM

"Wounded" is already in the proposal. As to the rest, no, no, no, no, unknown, no, no, and unlikely.

budman23

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
2 sides so either have to pvp with the people I don't like or they will just join my side after they die enough right?
Same issue as factions except this time its even worse now its much easier to switch sides.
Cant kill the people on your own team you don't like? I really lol'd at this one, I thought it was fel.
Whats to stop me from stopping in on a blue and killing everyone? No your not going to block access to shrines.

Without stat loss, you might as well play a blue, I mean if I cant kill half the shard because they are in my "group" then that throws the whole idea out right there.
This does not promote pvp when you restrict targets, but maybe you can bring fresh meat in who will be abused for a while.

I wont even go into what "rewards" means, maybe you mean "bribe" to participate, it may work, for a while.

And finally proximity eh? But no mention of stealthing, we can see where that's going.

budman23

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
BTW I wanted to give all our trammel people with a voice a nice vision of their future of our new system.

Imagine playing and oops you died, your fighting at a shrine, well these people don't like you so you will just use the shrine to res.
What the, someone just res killed you, in fact every time you go to res they res kill you.
You move off you go into the woods use a healer, dead again, back to the shrine, dead again. WHO IS THIS!
No matter where you go they are res killing you and no one helps, no one cares, in fact, I think their laughing.
Wait a second youll go to a gate, but wait! Theres no gate anywhere near any shrine, WHOS IDEA WAS THIS!

Next will be you using help stuck and what im sure will be your thoughts on if this system was a good idea or not, and IF your returning.

Some future? Get these changes and it could be yours. See you then.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
BTW I wanted to give all our trammel people with a voice a nice vision of their future of our new system.

Imagine playing and oops you died, your fighting at a shrine, well these people don't like you so you will just use the shrine to res.
What the, someone just res killed you, in fact every time you go to res they res kill you.
You move off you go into the woods use a healer, dead again, back to the shrine, dead again. WHO IS THIS!
No matter where you go they are res killing you and no one helps, no one cares, in fact, I think their laughing.
Wait a second youll go to a gate, but wait! Theres no gate anywhere near any shrine, WHOS IDEA WAS THIS!

Next will be you using help stuck and what im sure will be your thoughts on if this system was a good idea or not, and IF your returning.

Some future? Get these changes and it could be yours. See you then.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill. Back when most PvP was at crossroads and in dungeons, dying meant running to the nearest town, maybe finding a wandering healer along the way. So it took a while; big deal. Nowadays with 100% LRC and chivalry books, it's easy to find a wandering healer and recall/SJ to your favorite bank or house.

If "trammel people" are discouraged by the new system, it's because of dying period, and they'd have been discouraged had they tried factions or Order/Chaos. Dying is part of PvP, and some people don't have a taste for it, let alone dying in a big battle. This "wounded debuff" of course is meant to penalize repeated returns to the battle, so that one won't go on forever. I think everybody died at least a few times here.

manglingcop.jpg

Mithryl Elves

Elves Suck
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Seriously You really think I give a rats azz what you think or what you want? I and others also have the right to post in this thread get use to it because I'm not going anywhere I know my rights. Your right I do have the other faucets to play, but I also have fel and factions to play in to so ill be in that faucet to.
What I love most about Fel is the idocs when I get on my stealth character stealth around you reds pvpers, and yoink lots of items out from under your nose. Best idoc was when a keep fell and I yoinked 89 % of the items out from under 2 reds who went afk and didnt get back til i had most of it moved. THAT WAS THE BEST !!!!!!!. I'll play my way you play yours when you pay for me to play ou even then I'll do what I want. Since your 12 years old and really don't know any better I'll give you a pass on your unrespectfull attitude.
Michelle you do know that Stealthing, smokebombing and running from a PK is not pvping correct? I just wanted to make sure that you understood that.

OMG A GIANT ROCK

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
You calling me 12 then your improper use of grammar and not knowing the differences between "you're and your" make all your arguments invalid. But still, this is a pvp thread, do the pvpers a favor and don't put your input into these changes if you have no intentions of using the system when it comes out and especially if you don't pvp right now.
Learn grammar and pvp then come back and talk to me :(

Mesanna I have emailed you, I would really like to talk to you about these "changes" and what needs to be done. But the main issue right here is you need to listen to the pvpers right now talking. Not the people who never pvp. Just because they're a majority doesn't mean they should decide this because 95% of them will put their input into this and never even have a care for it.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You calling me 12 then your improper use of grammar and not knowing the differences between "you're and your" make all your arguments invalid. But still, this is a pvp thread, do the pvpers a favor and don't put your input into these changes if you have no intentions of using the system when it comes out and especially if you don't pvp right now.
Learn grammar and pvp then come back and talk to me :(

Mesanna I have emailed you, I would really like to talk to you about these "changes" and what needs to be done. But the main issue right here is you need to listen to the pvpers right now talking. Not the people who never pvp. Just because they're a majority doesn't mean they should decide this because 95% of them will put their input into this and never even have a care for it.
WOW I only maid that many mistakes with my condition the meds I take I was sure I made tons more mistakes than that thank you mr grammer police for painting that out for me.next make sure to look for typing typos so you can also be my personal spell checker.
If the trammys have a 95% input in this game, pvpers only have a 5% input why even add this system into the game?

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Michelle you do know that Stealthing, smokebombing and running from a PK is not pvping correct? I just wanted to make sure that you understood that.
I stopped smoking over a hear ago so no smokebombing for me either. I run I live to comeback and loot more stuff I'm there for the stuff not for the fight.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok my turn,

Characters who sign up for the new system should be attackable in Felucca or Trammel. If it’s a PvP character and signed into the new system you should be prepared to PvP where ever they are. You can already attack and fight in trammel if you are in guild wars so lets make the new system the same.

Adding to this the gear should then be usable in Felucca and trammel. If you take a PvP char to an event prepare to do PvP as well as PvM, Mind you I don’t know why you would take a PvP character to a PvM scenario.

A guild should not be forced to enter all the players into the PvP system if the guild leader joins. But with that said, we used to make separate guilds for factions.

The war zone are around a shire should not allow Blue/red non Virtue & Vice characters into the area.

The wounded debuff is not a good idea, there are too many people looking to res kill you as it is and this will just encourage res killing. But with that said I agree with res killing to keep those who have died dead. But don’t penalize them for getting killed. If res killing is used properly with in a fight, it should keep 2 people out the fight, the one who is being resed and another trying to res him. If the team want to res there dead people they may have to divert some of their fighters to protect the people being resed up. This diversion of resources during a battle maybe enough to allow the other side to win.

More thoughts to follow…..

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Items like let say a robe or sash that is character bonded. Can only be in backpack or worn. Quiting V/V and your robe disappears and your out. Like Wind dungeon's limited passage, battlegrounds only members can enter the area. Only way in or out is through your sides enterance or portal. This will end any problems for those that think of the battleground as an opportunity for fun. There should be no way for a non V/V member to loot corpses, heal or do one point of damage on any battleground. The battlegrounds will give the designers a chance to create unique zones. City fighting or Maze. Open field fighting like a Destard replica. How about an Underground Sea gotten to by new V/V Pillars. in Tram and Fel waters. Some of theese zones could have spawning areas of critters that agro only virtue or vice. All this fancy gear offered can be gotten in theese zones and are stripped apon leaving. Some zones can have a spell blocking property. First from a side entering next battleground can pick 5 spells and/or special moves not allowed in the area for the next fight. Tactical changes to a fight if things like Disarm, Moving Shot, Para Field and Shadow Jump +6 more can't be set. Zone that can only be entered naked and backpack empty except for crafting tools. Enter on foot so all pack animals can be blocked. Only items that are held in charaters hands at crossing is allowed in the "we love our crafter" zone. Could go on but have better things to do not UO related. And that is sad.

Last edited:

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
As I have stated previously, in this thread and in other threads on this topic, this was an issue because it squeezed out the people who long had kept Factions alive, playing Factions for Factions' sake and used the parts of the Factions system that didn't necessarily involve direct confrontation PvP.

Factions was an all-encompassing system, incorporating many playstyles. The proposed system won't replace it in that sense. It can't. And I don't think it's intended to.

I think it's pitched towards folks such as yourself, and it'll likely succeed in some fashion.

-Galen's player
Well if she's pitching it towards people like me, I think it sucks lol :(

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Items like let say a robe or sash that is character bonded. Can only be in backpack or worn. Quiting V/V and your robe disappears and your out. Like Wind dungeon's limited passage, battlegrounds only members can enter the area. Only way in or out is through your sides enterance or portal. This will end any problems for those that think of the battleground as an opportunity for fun. There should be no way for a non V/V member to loot corpses, heal or do one point of damage on any battleground. The battlegrounds will give the designers a chance to create unique zones. City fighting or Maze. Open field fighting like a Destard replica. How about an Underground Sea gotten to by new V/V Pillars. in Tram and Fel waters. Some of theese zones could have spawning areas of critters that agro only virtue or vice. All this fancy gear offered can be gotten in theese zones and are stripped apon leaving. Some zones can have a spell blocking property. First from a side entering next battleground can pick 5 spells and/or special moves not allowed in the area for the next fight. Tactical changes to a fight if things like Disarm, Moving Shot, Para Field and Shadow Jump +6 more can't be set. Zone that can only be entered naked and backpack empty except for crafting tools. Enter on foot so all pack animals can be blocked. Only items that are held in charaters hands at crossing is allowed in the "we love our crafter" zone. Could go on but have better things to do not UO related. And that is sad.
No, nope, still going to suck :)

Last edited:

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
WOW I only maid that many mistakes with my condition the meds I take I was sure I made tons more mistakes than that thank you mr grammer police for painting that out for me.next make sure to look for typing typos so you can also be my personal spell checker.
If the trammys have a 95% input in this game, pvpers only have a 5% input why even add this system into the game?
First off... lol saying that factions are 5% of the game, is so vague and unspecific, yet placing an exact number on... nothing? 5% of what? Where'd Zora come up with this number? his A$$. For some people it's 0% of the game experience, for others it's much more. He's placing a number on something that is presumably relative to an individuals opinion. Also, saying that Factions are 5% of this game (whatever that means), is not the equivalent of saying that pvp is 5% of the game, and then draw the conclusion that because pvp is only 5% of the game, that they should hardly have a say when it comes to what new content should be introduced to the game. Meanwhile PvPer's don't want this implemented either! That line of reasoning is wrong on so many levels lol.

The Griefer King

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
just fix the broken system. update arties and lower silver costs. why introduce a new system when the one you have WORKS. just needs a little tweaking

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
First off... lol saying that factions are 5% of the game, is so vague and unspecific, yet placing an exact number on... nothing? 5% of what? Where'd Zora come up with this number? his A$$. For some people it's 0% of the game experience, for others it's much more. He's placing a number on something that is presumably relative to an individuals opinion. Also, saying that Factions are 5% of this game (whatever that means), is not the equivalent of saying that pvp is 5% of the game, and then draw the conclusion that because pvp is only 5% of the game, that they should hardly have a say when it comes to what new content should be introduced to the game. Meanwhile PvPer's don't want this implemented either! That line of reasoning is wrong on so many levels lol.
The faction part of 5% is his 5% read his post 178 I know it means much more for others, but he thinks its all about him. I was hoping they would fix factions, and I could go back to defending the base. By moving factions means less players in felucca.Factions is or was the one system that bought players together from all parts of this game. It promoted team work its a real shame if its removed. This new system is not going to bring more into felucca is looks like a system that promotes trying to bring in more lambs to slaughter. Will dangle rewards in their face they like rewards they will come.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, nope, still going to suck :)
Load of post counts and not one worthy counter point. Good for you. Attacking posters and no objective view of their post and one liners. You may grow out of it. A members only area for a battleground will really put a dent in griefer non V/V players. Hope you enjoy the rest of your summer break.

Last edited:

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
NO ONE CARES if blues are being attacked by Virtue/Vice players, because blues can just NOT FLAG and hide in the guard zone as they often do. This is a NON-ISSUE. The real issue is 70% of the felucca playerbase sitting in the moongate on blues, until someone grey/red get's dismounted in which case they all jump in; or in this case, attacking the faction guild with the most reds (usually the only guild with reds). When guilds faction fight each other, and blues attack the red faction members, Faction members only play on blues. Hardly anyone actually plays reds on Atl anymore. Go to Yew on Atl, the blue/red ratio is like 8:2. Most other shards, one's where people actually play reds, aren't as active faction wise. GL has practically no factions and it's the second most popular pvp shard in the United States. You rarely have anything to say that includes arguments with any substance. You are only "dumbing down" UO and contributing to it's decay. Please stop posting.
You attack a poster about quoting numbers? So how did you do your numbers survey? Is this based off 10 or 100 players questioned. Pretty sure if a Vise kills a Virtue no matter what color they are there is going to be no murder account window. The concept of V/V should be all about PVP without the bothersome turning red and never visting the Royal City again. "You rarely have anything to say that includes arguments with any substance. You are only "dumbing down" UO and contributing to it's decay. Please stop posting." This saying applies still, that we both agree on.

Last edited:

Selurnoraa

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I hope the name Virtue vs Vice is 'In Concept' that's a terrible name.

Also this seems like a terribly complex system for people that all they want to do is kill each other.

Last edited: