• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 81.0 Comes to TC1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tested a full suit of metal armor. There was very little to no stamina loss from physical attacks. However when I fought a red healer the spells did take some chunks out. Though with 120 focus it did regen pretty quick. I did test without 120 focus as well. So it seems that maybe from my short little test metal armor might protect from stamina loss from physical attacks but maybe not magic? I wonder if that is intended? I sure hope not.
Im seeing that the larger the chunk of damage, the less effective your armor seems to be. Wearing crafted exc full dragon plate + plate gorget while letting a corpser bash me:

HP/STM DMG 24/21, 24/19, 21/15, 14/8, 16/9, 19/15, 20/14, 14/6, 14/8, 21/16, 13/7, 12/6, 19/14, 22/17, 23/17

The corpser does do 40% poison dmg according to the hunters guide. Maybe it is true metal armor only reduces phy dmg stm loss.. which would suck.

Edit: Poison resist is 21 while phys is 59. If hunters guide is correct and metal ar only reduces phy stm dmg, the larger stm dmg on bigger hits makes sense

Last edited:

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I made a GM plate suit and let a corpser hit me. 5 pieces of plate armor, nothing else. I lost stamina in about the same quantity as with woodland. It might have been one point less.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im seeing that the larger the chunk of damage, the less effective your armor seems to be. Wearing crafted exc full dragon plate + plate gorget while letting a corpser bash me:

HP/STM DMG 24/21, 24/19, 21/15, 14/8, 16/9, 19/15, 20/14, 14/6, 14/8, 21/16, 13/7, 12/6, 19/14, 22/17, 23/17

The corpser does do 40% poison dmg according to the hunters guide. Maybe it is true metal armor only reduces phy dmg stm loss.. which would suck.
Yeah it does seem like that may be the case :( I hope if it is they consider changing it. If it only protects against stamina loss from physical damage it really isn;t that good.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I wouldn't mind the 4s weapon but the DEV's need to keep in mind that I also have a 4s bandage... so in just as much time as it takes to hit... I can fix it. So this is stupid.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah and many templates can heal the damage in a shorter time then that.

Yes so while your slowing down all the weapons remember to either slow down bandaging or forget ever killing anyone in PvP ever again.

electric sheep

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Try this get a weapon with 100% hit fatigue, Stamina Leech then use Crushing Blow on a player.
Any pvp mage will be forced to run with at the VERY least 60 stamina if they don't one hit with a weapon like I described totally stams them out, so they hit a refresh pot get hit once more and they are basically frozen for 10 seconds.
Please leave it like it is tho lol =P

Rumpy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In your initial dream situation you asked about teleporting through a spawn, most people know theres hundreds of spots to teleport granted you could get an unlucky one but so what?
If your so worried about interrupt then play in protection, thats just another excuse to make a point, which was none.
Rofl. You obviously dont play in Fel much, as you just dont get it. Oh well, plentty others do. Good luck in Tram.

Rumpy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I rely on UOA for alot of perks. I cant get the new client to run with it. Is it just the specials that are used in the new client?

-Sent from ASUS Transformer TF300T

budman23

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I think Tina has made a pretty serious point that she should be immediately hired as the new patch explainer.

Had the information been presented to show changes and not a whole heres a whole bunch of information you figure it out, these pages would probably be a whole lot shorter.

RioGrande

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi,

With this "Armor&Stamina System" we need an option to make medi-items non-medi.

For example,the hunter´s headdress is a typical item for dexxer´s and archer´s,but its medi.

Crafting platemail with runics there should be an option to build them guaranteed non-medi.

What is with the "Samurai Plaemail" ? they are medi.

A "remove medi button" in the imbuing,tailoring,blacksmith crafting menu´s would be nice.

HP_Zoro_HP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I think that some of the things that should be added to this publish are the "All Release" command (to release summons) that the EC client has that the Classic Client does not have. I also feel like Undead Slayer spellbooks should cause extra damage towards players that are in wraith form, Lich form, or vampiric embrace. I think after reading about the hit lower defense from what it sounds like is that a player can potentially knock you down to -2 defense chance increase. I think this is a bit extreme as it makes having defense chance increase almost useless because either way having it or not you will still be negative when struck by a melee weapon (assuming they have enough hit lower defense). I think the dexterity requirement for parrying to be effective should be removed (as it makes parry mages almost impossible to make without using potions, and lets face it not everyone uses potions). Arcane focus should be easier to get without having to require several different people. Perhaps make it so if you are 20 spellweaving you make a level 1 focus, 40 spellweaving level 2 focus, 60 spellweaving lvl 3 focus, 80 spellweaving lvl 4 focus and so on. There should be a timer on "Infectious Strike" because as is it is spammable. I think every account regardless of age SHOULD have 720 skill cap. Players should be able to have 120 magery and while having chivalry still have a cap of 4 faster casting 6 faster cast recovery. Gargoyles should have to walk when they have a greater dragon just like humans and elfs have to (rather then being able to fly at mounted speeds). There should be "farm animal slayer" or maybe "horse slayer" spellbooks. All slayers should be able to have on talismans as well as spellbooks/music instruments. Bard masteries should not be disrupted, rather they should last a period of time before cutting off and possibly have a casting cap of 4 casting and 6 casting recovery. If people are fighting from inside a house (someone flags on them first and they fight back) then they should be ejected, if you are fighting on a boat it should be the same way (ejected to the nearest land basically). But I really think the hit lower defense should be scaled down to not be able to do -52 to your defense chance increase (-25 was just fine). Not everybody has a combat skill and should not be required to have that AND Defense chance increase. As is if you don't have a combat skill that is enough to basically be negative defense chance increase without being hit by "Hit lower defense" because you are hit so often. Drinking Cure Potions shoudl have a timer just like Infectious strike does (it would only be fair). Hiding/Stealthers should not be able to remain hidden FOREVER... maybe make it so that they can go 5 minutes stealth/hidden before they have to rehide. Give spellweavers a buff, their summons have so low of health that they are almost useless in all aspects of the game whether it be in player vs monster or player vs player. I think there should be earrings that can have mods just like necklaces for Elfs and Human races to make suits more versatile.

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It will be interesting to see the comments of those who play mages when they figure out what wearing leather will do to them every time they get hit by a ratman.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is time for a over haul! Congrats team we were dieing here on the staleness of pvp. All you lil ninjas don't form off to fast!

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It will be interesting to see the comments of those who play mages when they figure out what wearing leather will do to them every time they get hit by a ratman.
Did I miss something....? The Amount of stamina loss you suffer from taking damage HASNT changed has it? I'm aware that they make Crushing Blow different, but the Base amounts of stamina lost for various sources of damage are still the same correct? Sure they are putting a timer on Refresh pots, but grasping that effect is easy enough. I fight with my PvP mage ALL the time with 25 stamina & rarely if ever go through say 15 Total Refreshes.. Generally only if I'm in a grinder Fight with Heavy spawn etc.

Anway.... I'll log on and crunch some numbers on stamina loss from damage ...

electric sheep

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
When your stammed out and can't move and your hitting you refresh macro over and over for ten seconds in between trying to stay alive since your unable to move. at 25 stam your going to be utter toast, I suggest playing with a bestial stone form mystic and just standing there in protection or something.... but what do I know im no body =P

xxrod17xx

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Hey mages I get it, pressing a lot of buttons in complicated and stuff. You are bad asses and I respsect your talent, but if you want people to pvp with....it should be easy for people to hop and and go...oh i have to do this, ok sweet...hit a few buttons and play. Enjoy dueling for the rest of your lives. I got into pvp with a dog thrower...gimpest temp evar right? They fixed it and good on em for doing so, but other changes make it more complicated for the less talented button mashers to enjoy pvp and take part in it.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did I miss something....? The Amount of stamina loss you suffer from taking damage HASNT changed has it? I'm aware that they make Crushing Blow different, but the Base amounts of stamina lost for various sources of damage are still the same correct? Sure they are putting a timer on Refresh pots, but grasping that effect is easy enough. I fight with my PvP mage ALL the time with 25 stamina & rarely if ever go through say 15 Total Refreshes.. Generally only if I'm in a grinder Fight with Heavy spawn etc.

Thats right, Stamina loss is still the same, the difference now is that you can prevent stamina loss with wearing heavier crafted armor. :)

For a warrior thats very handy when using a shield to keep that Stamina up. :)

Last edited:

funkymonkey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
am i reading it right Tina, that they took away shadow strike on the club and added crushing blow?

I do hope not.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My thoughts:

SSI and Mana burst: Both are convoluted ideas that make no thematic sense. What on earth about heavy armor makes my opponents swing slower? What on earth about regular crafted armor gives me rushes of mana? Also, both are VERY hard to represent in game. How will people even know about this? Will it be on every piece of armor in the game? If so you are adding at very least one extra SENTENCE of explanation to every non medable piece of armor. If you don't, considering that UO has no official documentation in game or elsewhere for that matter... No one will know, and it will be up to the players to offer what is going to end up being a confusing explanation to new comers. BAD choices both.

Stamina protection. Nice. Best change of the proposed changes by far.

Weapon damage. There are many examples of two handed weapons with same speed and damage as one handed weapon. Why dear lord why. This was one of the MAJOR problems with weapons. Two handed weapons were just worse with the lone exception that its easier to parry with bushido.
Why are two handed weapons STILL not as good as one handed? Archery also as I previously mentioned has a resource associated with it in arrows, which no other weapons have, as such they should be getting a boost.

Feint: Every weapon skill should have at least one weapon with feint. Taking this away from JUST fencing is a serious detriment to the skill. Also I would like too add that if ANY skill has weapons with feint... it should be fencing shouldn't it? And no... defensive blade weave will in no way replace feint.
Mana burst: Yes, it's hard to see any thematic sense. But I think they did it to compensate for dexxers, since they also need mana and now would be a little crippled, since they take away their passive regen. One problem is probably, that mage armor is a on/off-property. Either you have it or not. Maybe if they would change it into a scalable property, they wouldn't need this compensation with mana phase. I.e.:
  • No mage armor: Blacksmith crafted armor (platemail, ringmail, chainmail, and dragon armor).
  • 33% mage armor effectiveness: Carpentry crafted armor (woodland and stone armor).
  • 66% mage armor effectiveness: Tailor crafted studded leather, hide, and bone armor.
  • 100% mage armor effectiveness: Cloth, leather, and jewelry armor.
SSI debuff does make sense, since the attacker is definitely affected by the sturdiness of the defenders armor. It effectively reduces DPS of the attacker by slowing down his attack speed. Let's stick to PvE, which is a flat 30% SSI debuff for the mob.
I.e. Mob dishing out 100 points of damage every 2 seconds = 50 dps. With the debuff it's 100 / (2 * 1.3) = 38.46 dps
Now this is where Feint ties in. What does it do? Copied from stratics:
"Reduces the attacker’s damage by a percentage. The percentage can be 20% to 50% and scales based on the defender’s weapon skill. Duration is 6 seconds.
Requires Bushido or Ninjitsu skill."
In my example this means, Feint reduces the dps from 25dps to 40dps (and since you probably use feint against some 120+ weapon skill mobs, you probably will just lean towards the 20% reduction, which is 40 dps).

So, the SSI debuff is free, costs no mana and it works with every template, not just bushido or ninjitsu.
Sounds good to me (at least on paper, but I assume I'll play out similar in the "real virtual world").

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
My main wears an imbued plate suit. These changes are a massive buff for me personally.

I still hate them.

No amount of "Uh their hand hurts from hitting your armor so their SSI quits working" will make me think they even begin to make sense.

SoulWeaver

King of The Bearded Ladies
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Refresh pot timer needs to be removed or at least lowered to 4 seconds. Then if you have 100 alchemy make the time go back to O sacraficing skill for time etc.. Also in my opinion need to buff up the stamina regen property if their doing all these stam reductions so no one can move...[ IF they are reallly wanting to do that], make stamina regen worth putting on a suit.. I hope they really listen to people, and dont push this patch through in 3-4 weeks. Because as people are saying the remaining pvpers that are left... are most likely going to be going on a lil vacation, if not a forever vaction, to a new game.

funkymonkey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't get why they couldn't proposed this idea before investing time/money into making this pub, we could of saved them allot of work and allot less headaches

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My thoughts: When I heard that they will nerf metal armor I thought: Great! This is absolutely necessary. But I thought about things like: Blacksmith crafted plate armor gets - let´s say - 20+ physical resist initially, without imbuing... and all the other resis slightly better, too (perhaps 15+ or something, except energy and cold damage)... So, something that makes sense, because metal in RL is a better protection than leather... I don´t understand why the changes are so complicated... But I am a poor newb... Just my thoughts...

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome to mages online
Just wait how the stamina loss with taking damage plays out with mages. They could be easily run into some serious stamina problems, thus making them a sitting duck....

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My thoughts: When I heard that they will nerf metal armor I thought: Great! This is absolutely necessary. But I thought about things like: Blacksmith crafted plate armor gets - let´s say - 20+ physical resist initially, without imbuing... and all the other resis slightly better, too (perhaps 15+ or something, except energy and cold damage)... So, something that makes sense, because metal in RL is a better protection than leather... I don´t understand why the changes are so complicated... But I am a poor newb... Just my thoughts...
How does this make sense? In the end, both suits, regardless if leather or plate, will have 70 in all resist...

And where's the plate nerf? IMHO they buffed plate...

Last edited:

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...if you are able to get your 70 resis with less pieces of armor, you have more space left for getting other mods up - doesnt that make sense, thrakkar?

Edit: I mean the Overall sum of resis for metal armor could be higher...

Last edited:

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...if you are able to get your 70 resis with less pieces of armor, you have more space left for getting other mods up - doesnt that make sense, thrakkar?

Edit: I mean the Overall sum of resis for metal armor could be higher...
Not really.
Let's assume the higher resists give you one imbuing slot more per item. People would just imbue mage armor. Now it would be completely pointless, which armor you use. Just cosmetics. Doesn't add to the depth imho...
Let's assume you get 2 imbuing slots more per item: People would imbue mage armor and since you can add one additional property, everyone would scrap leather and just use plate. The same situation as now, just plate & leather switched... pointless...

Armor has to be diverse. There have to be some adavntages and as well some tradeoffs. Just with tweaking resists you won't get such results. This is a step into the right direction.

Currently people are nit-picking. They take several changes out of the context and cry about nerfing. Instead they sould take one step back to see the whole picture. I for my part see some snyergies of several individual changes. Or go to TC and test them. After all nothing is set in stone by now. And we even don't know part 2 of the revamp.

And for all the people, who whine about loosing they suits/weapons: Imbued stuff won't last forever, since you can't PoF it. So you have to make a new one a bit earlier. So what? This isn't the end of the world.

Also all this crying about the game becoming more complicated. That ship sailed a long time ago. UO is already extremely complicated. The learning curve is extremely steep and the increase of complexity in this patch is negligible. Two friends of mine started to play this game and were overwhelmed by the sheer amount of formulas and rules for months...

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Armor has to be diverse. There have to be some adavntages and as well some tradeoffs. Just with tweaking resists you won't get such results. This is a step into the right direction.
Nope. At this point I would be delighted to accept all armor types being more-or-less the same except for cosmetic differences. Scrap the meditation penalty, balance resists, and call it a day. I mean go look at this thread, it's not full of people crying out for more "depth" but rather people complaining that they barely understand the game anymore.

Also all this crying about the game becoming more complicated. That ship sailed a long time ago. UO is already extremely complicated. The learning curve is extremely steep and the increase of complexity in this patch is negligible.
Hey, everyone else in the thread, you can quit worrying about this crap being overcomplicated. Yeah you were all wrong, Thrakkar has officially declared the complexity negligible. I know you THOUGHT it was complex and the first three pages of this thread were people just trying to figure out what was going on, but welp, Thrakkar has spoken. Negligible.

Two friends of mine started to play this game and were overwhelmed by the sheer amount of formulas and rules for months...
Clearly this means that the ship sailed long ago and the developers can pile infinite complexity into the game. When they said the idea of it being overly complicated was a concern, they were wrong and talking crazy.

Right?

Last edited:

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey, everyone else in the thread, you can quit worrying about this crap being overcomplicated. Yeah you were all wrong, Thrakkar has officially declared the complexity negligible. I know you THOUGHT it was complex and the first three pages of this thread were people just trying to figure out what was going on, but welp, Thrakkar has spoken. Negligible.

Clearly this means that the ship sailed long ago and the developers can pile infinite complexity into the game. When they said the idea of it being overly complicated was a concern, they were wrong and talking crazy.

Right?
I have my opinion and I voice it. You or any other persons don't have to share that very same point of view. Cynicism won't get you anywhere.

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can we stop with the personal attacks please?
For myself
Do I understand the changes? Nope - on the other hand I haven't really understood how the various properties work since AoS launch. Doesn't stop me playing and having fun.
What I'm not going to do is dismiss them out of hand without trying things out on test center. I haven't tried them yet, because with the usual application of Murphy's law they were released on one of those rare days when I'm offline all day.

I might do a bit of fishing, sounds like highly peculiar fish might be in demand. They don't stack, but then total refresh pots didn't stack when I first started playing either. Unicorn fish pie might be handy to have too.

First impressions without testing I'm guessing there may be a return to warriors wearing metal armour and mages wearing leather.

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also all this crying about the game becoming more complicated. That ship sailed a long time ago. UO is already extremely complicated. The learning curve is extremely steep and the increase of complexity in this patch is negligible. Two friends of mine started to play this game and were overwhelmed by the sheer amount of formulas and rules for months...
There is nothing wrong with having a deep game, but there is something wrong with complexity for complexity's sake, when there are plenty of valid alternatives which are easy to understand to the end user. Deep game = fun, as it keeps me busy for a long time. Complex game = annoying. The game should be relatively easy to get in to, and hard to master.

Examples of games that do this correctly are Guild Wars 1 and Pokemon. Both have combat systems which are just as complex as UO, with lots and lots of complex formulae at work under the hood and lots of tables that you should memorize if you really want to master the game. But the games are both extremely easy to get in to, and to be competitive and defeat the most difficult bosses in the game, you don't need to have a PhD in mathematics or statistics, in fact any kid with a few braincells can play through these games.

UO is the opposite. If you are a starting mage, you need a suit with lower reg cost or be severely disadvantaged. How the F does a new player know that? If you are new and want to PVP, better spend a month reading up on all the game mechanics, train all your skills to 120, grab some excel spreadsheets and buy at least $200 worth of gold so you can afford items that you need to be competitive. If you want to craft, well you better go lean how imbuing and reforging work. Oh, nothing explains what say, structural reforging does? Better spend another week reading wikis and forums or spend zillions on resources to build a spreadsheet with results yourself.

And now they plan to add some intrinsic properties to most armor types, properties that you won't see listed on the item. We're the lucky few that read the forums, but the average UO player doesn't do that. How are they going to understand how all this new stuff works, why their swingspeed is suddenly nullified or why they suddenly get to use a free special move?

With all this idiocy I sometimes just hope they throw all this AoS stuff out of the window, revert to the original game mechanics with AR and stuff first, and build up new systems again from there.

Maleachi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can we stop with the personal attacks please?
For myself
Do I understand the changes? Nope - on the other hand I haven't really understood how the various properties work since AoS launch. Doesn't stop me playing and having fun.
What I'm not going to do is dismiss them out of hand without trying things out on test center. I haven't tried them yet, because with the usual application of Murphy's law they were released on one of those rare days when I'm offline all day.

I might do a bit of fishing, sounds like highly peculiar fish might be in demand. They don't stack, but then total refresh pots didn't stack when I first started playing either. Unicorn fish pie might be handy to have too.

First impressions without testing I'm guessing there may be a return to warriors wearing metal armour and mages wearing leather.

Did you just remove my post Petra? You allow Frarc, a UOstratics mod to spill his beans and yet you remove my justified and well explained post, which I spent quite some time to type out?

This is nothing less then censorship "Petra Jong-Il" !!!

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you have a problem with the adjustments that I made to the thread please contact me by pm

I was away from home yesterday and knew nothing of this publish till I logged in this morning.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree I have been testing leather armor on test and it is very bad. Bears hitting me were killing my stamina. The amount of stamina loss you take needs to be reduced or leather armor needs to give more protection probably both. Because as it stands right now mages will be forced into nonmed armor the way I see it.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I think they might have increased it or something because like I said in my post before this I was taking big stamina hits from just a bear hitting me.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is nothing wrong with having a deep game, but there is something wrong with complexity for complexity's sake, when there are plenty of valid alternatives which are easy to understand to the end user. Deep game = fun, as it keeps me busy for a long time. Complex game = annoying. The game should be relatively easy to get in to, and hard to master.

Examples of games that do this correctly are Guild Wars 1 and Pokemon. Both have combat systems which are just as complex as UO, with lots and lots of complex formulae at work under the hood and lots of tables that you should memorize if you really want to master the game. But the games are both extremely easy to get in to, and to be competitive and defeat the most difficult bosses in the game, you don't need to have a PhD in mathematics or statistics, in fact any kid with a few braincells can play through these games.

UO is the opposite. If you are a starting mage, you need a suit with lower reg cost or be severely disadvantaged. How the F does a new player know that? If you are new and want to PVP, better spend a month reading up on all the game mechanics, train all your skills to 120, grab some excel spreadsheets and buy at least $200 worth of gold so you can afford items that you need to be competitive. If you want to craft, well you better go lean how imbuing and reforging work. Oh, nothing explains what say, structural reforging does? Better spend another week reading wikis and forums or spend zillions on resources to build a spreadsheet with results yourself.

And now they plan to add some intrinsic properties to most armor types, properties that you won't see listed on the item. We're the lucky few that read the forums, but the average UO player doesn't do that. How are they going to understand how all this new stuff works, why their swingspeed is suddenly nullified or why they suddenly get to use a free special move?

With all this idiocy I sometimes just hope they throw all this AoS stuff out of the window, revert to the original game mechanics with AR and stuff first, and build up new systems again from there.
I agree if they are going to make massive changes lets go back to the old preAoS way. I think that would be much better and much less complicated then what they are proposing.

DerekL

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO is the opposite. If you are a starting mage, you need a suit with lower reg cost or be severely disadvantaged.
How are they disadvantaged? It's not like prices or loot has changed. 'Not l33t' and 'not being able to train at maximum warp' are not the same as being disadvantaged - especially since you're not in a race with anyone. (If newbie mages suffer from a disadvantage, it's the same one as every other starting player - the loss of low and mid level dungeons.)

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly I don't think, that these changes are here just for complexities sake. They're here to bring some diversity. And IMHO there are lots of other things already in UO, which are much more complex than these changes. They're new. Most people just read about it and need some time do digest the whole load of info. Of course it's easier, just to claim, that they're complex. Give it a little time...

At least you won't have to explain to a new player, why a warrior taking all the damage does perfectly fine just in a suit of leather instead of plate :p
That's one explanation less from now on :D

You won't get a SSI debuff in PvE, so nothing to learn here. (Since new players have to train their chars first and earn some gold, they probably won't sart with PvP).
And suddenly a free special is actually something good, I bet noone will complain about that.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Ok.... I have to laugh pretty hard now. Not at you Shakkara but at what you said because it brought back old memories. I have to wonder does my Brother work for UO??

When we were kids he used to take the simplest games and add so many rules and such to them that Only he could ever win because it was impossible for anyone else to ever remember all the silly little rules... Heck I still can't remember them.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe they merely over-thought it. There are, for example, multiple ways of reading the metal armor SSI thing. Some people read it as I did initially (metal armor = you can mess up your opponent's SSI), some read it the exact opposite (metal armor messes up your OWN SSI). The fact that such basic confusion exists suggests strongly that the team overdid it.

Earlier in this thread I offered the following alternative (at least as far as the armor thing goes).

Leave things mostly as they are now (not in the Publish being tested, but as they are in the game now).

Add a minor but noticeable absorption of Stamina damage for non-meddable armor. Have the highest such absorption come from a full suit of non-Samurai, Western Plate Armor. Have that maximum be somewhere from 25% to 50% of Stamina damage. (5% to 10% per piece.)

This still achieves the same end as the proposed changes (heavier armor lets you keep going in a fight longer by making less of your bones break from getting hit; lighter armor lets you meditate), but doesn't add as many layers to an equipment system that is already quite, quite layered.

Whereas before only lighter armor had something special (medability) now both kinds do (lighter armor is meddable, heavier armor absorbs some stamina damage).

Some people will keep their setups the same, and rely on pots and Divine Fury to get around Stamina damage. Some people will incorporate heavy armor in order to get around needing to use Divine Fury and pots.

And ultimately everyone's happy (at least I think so), and the only people who will need to add a single column to their spreadsheets are the folks who are just really into getting the max out of everything. The rest of us will just keep it in the back of our minds.

-Galen's player

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe they merely over-thought it. There are, for example, multiple ways of reading the metal armor SSI thing. Some people read it as I did initially (metal armor = you can mess up your opponent's SSI), some read it the exact opposite (metal armor messes up your OWN SSI). The fact that such basic confusion exists suggests strongly that the team overdid it.
Or it's just explained poorly.

Personally I like the SSI debuff. It reduces incoming damage, since the attacker swings slower. And heavier armor is all about reducing damage.

All in all, I really like these armor changes.

semmerset

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stamina loss

Why stamina 180 player have only 3 damage,naked this guy loss stamina 50 over? lol
Only stamina 30 player loss 5 .
If 180 stamina warrier with metal suits,monster hit damage 20,he lost 31 stamina.
30 stamina warrier with metal suits,monster hit damage 20,he lost only 1 stamina.
Is it good ?!

I hope high stamina player have bonus for stamina decrease.

I read new publish.
I think this change is good for only pvp player.
PK want more easy killng?
And pvm player think very bad change.

Why fencing weapon have not feint weapon?

Uriel

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Interesting you say that cuz I been playing since pre-16 and have never had a dexxer..always see me in fel on a red Mage
Honestly I haven't even seen that many reds, definitely less then 10 (with the majority being at an event). I'd say less then 5 while out and about on my own (and they were actually all steal archers).

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pretty aggressive changes, I'm impressed. Will have to scan over the ideas and thoughts. I'm upset to see no real changes to Dragon Armor, yet. Hope to see Phase 2, etc., soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.