[UO Herald] Producer's Update

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jan 30, 2009
Greetings,

There is empty space in Magincia. There is room for a bazaar area. And you the player are going to help fill that space.

Over the next few weeks we will be sharing art and information about the continued restoration of Magincia. While we are sorting the plots, and players are settling in to their homes, we will give you updates on the new items that will be available this Spring.

Some of you have already seen the new wallsets on various sites or the forums … but there is more -- some decorative, some functional.

The first, we’d like to unveil is the distillery:

The distillery is designed to allow players to distill and distribute alcohol. This item is something you always wanted for Ultima Online. Players will be able to not only create, but also engrave and name their special brews. So if you ever had a desire to run moonshine across Sosaria … your day is coming!

In the coming weeks we’ll share information on the raised garden bed, gargoyle statues, and even a llama topiary. The core feature that will fill out the bazaar will allow players to buy and sell commodities, as well as feature that will finally allow vendors to sell pets. Check our Facebook page on the next Fridays.

We will also share the high-level design doc with you (as we did with Magincia), and plan to give you least 3 weeks on test center to play and give feedback.

Speaking of Test Center: We will be turning on character copy soon. Character copy is intended as a feature that will allow players to copy one of their live shard characters to a test center. The intent is to allow you all to play on Test Center with a character you are familiar with instead of building one from scratch for each new publish. We hope this will inspire you to come put new features through their paces on test centers.

High Level Focus:

We are centering many decisions this year around improving the Enhanced Client (removing the Beta Tag); increasing the frequency of small developer-lead events; and improving the transition of new and returning players to Ultima Online.

First step for the art resolution pass is to assess what we have and how best to use current art assets. In the near term we plan to update the terrain to a higher resolution. Following how our first pass works, we will move on to other elements.

We feel a slow iterative approach is best when dealing with the client, and will also insure players are not downloading massive art updates each time you log in.

Understand, this does not mean we are abandoning the Classic Client. A dominant number of players still use the Classic Client. However, that intrepid Beta tag is a bit glaring, and we’d like to get the EC to an acceptable state which will allow us to remove it. Along with stability, we would like a better bit of “polish” for its appearance, and how players interact and view the gameworld.

What about the shorter story arcs?

Our next arc will center on the origin of Ter Mur. We are planning the first events for June, which will run for 6 weeks. If there is great interest some aspects of the event will run longer. We’ll play it by ear.

There will be some fiction about the event, but the feedback we’ve received tells us players prefer actual exploration and discovery in the game rather than a lot of reading external to it. Fiction simply whets the appetite for what’s to come.

In the interim you will be seeing an interesting change to the material and subject matter for EM events this Spring.

For the new player experience, we are still gathering information from the forums and reviewing past efforts Ultima Online has made to bring players to the game. We need to find a balance of giving enough to allow a new user to understand, as well as help returning players catch up quickly.

The final note:

Many of you are aware a part of the team is in Japan. They are doing well and are doing their best to deliver content and updates to the game given the intermittent after effects of the earthquake and tsunami.

We still have an Americares button on the Ultima Online page. Note that all proceeds go directly to Americares and support for Japan relief. While the headlines have changed the need has not.

Keep the team and the Japanese community in your thoughts.

Thanks for your attention, and see you on the boards.

More...

W

Woodsman

We are centering many decisions this year around improving the Enhanced Client (removing the Beta Tag); increasing the frequency of small developer-lead events; and improving the transition of new and returning players to Ultima Online.

First step for the art resolution pass is to assess what we have and how best to use current art assets. In the near term we plan to update the terrain to a higher resolution. Following how our first pass works, we will move on to other elements.
:thumbup:

About time.

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 15, 2005
So its still Beta...

Most important for art fixes is non blurry 1:1 scale.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Cove X-Road Felucca (Europa)
Good decesion! Also focusing on Ter Mur is cool, there are so much cool designed spots not used, there is an island not available yet, iam really exicted what will come.

But the best the focus on the future, improving the Enhanced Client is neccessary and has been awaited soo long by many users of it.

D

Deb

Awesome update, so many good things coming in the near and
far future.

I am really excited about the still, and even more so about the Spring
cleaning event and the Ter-Mur story line.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aug 1, 2008
Definitely not a fan of the character copy feature. Enough fricken ppl play test exclusively instead of prodo shards. This will just further pull prod shards player base away.

And btw puni.... im gunna make a special brew just for you!

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 24, 2009
Getting out of my troll cave
You must understand they are still under the delusion that "new" players will come to UO. Unfortunately, this is not the Field of Dreams.
True but, thankfully, we can now waste time in a druken stuper. Nice graphic but I'd rather that CAL, whom I see reading this thread, please FIX SOME OF THE LONG STANDING ISSUES with the game.

Factions, speeders, make scripting legal because it just is almost by default, give us GM's who play the game and understand it, broken tiles, inflation and who knows what else that I just cannot think of right now.

The Bait Dangler

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Apr 14, 2011
Definitely not a fan of the character copy feature. Enough fricken ppl play test exclusively instead of prodo shards. This will just further pull prod shards player base away.

And btw puni.... im gunna make a special brew just for you!
That's because it's the only place that is almost exclusively for PvP. It also lets you fight someone other than the 5 random newbs that stand around yew gate on your prodo shard.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 11, 2004
Chesapeake
A have a simple request. Make it so one of the ales we can brew will give +10 ninjitsu and +10 DI at the expense of being super drunk (no mana regen). Drunken master!

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 11, 2004
Chesapeake
Factions, speeders, make scripting legal because it just is almost by default, give us GM's who play the game and understand it, broken tiles, inflation and who knows what else that I just cannot think of right now.
Speeders are sorta hard to regulate I'd imagine, and scripts can't be fixed unless they adopt a Punkbuster like program, which I assume EA won't fund. That's not Cal's fault. GM strength (and the amount) is also determined by EA.

Broken tiles, inflation, and like, that's more in the realm of the devs. The Mag housing took out billions of gold, so that's a nice step forward. As for the tiles, it's probably best to enter a bug report or E-Mail Mesanna if there is a major, game-halting art bug. For example, I want to throw-up every time I see a snake hovering above its shadow. But that's just me.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
May 12, 2008
Horay! Am I training taste ID in vain? And is it still bugged?

If I were not so old I would do a cartwheel... I will just go to the fridge and get a beer instead.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jan 5, 2001
Lots of food for thought there. I look forward to things being unveiled.

M

mjolnir131

If they discontinued the classic client when the first new client was released, UO would be dead already.
No go read all the press reviews starting about 18 months after 3D release and dogging UO for have the old client,as the primary, going up against the newer looking games. especially back then, people wanted new and sleek, heavy reliance on the 2d client and fears of killing it hurt us bad.

E

Eyes of Origin

Love the distillery, a lot of players have asked for it over and over, so I'm glad to see it happen.
Looks interesting for everything else. We'll just have to see what happens I guess.
Only thing I still request is please please give us some new items for spring cleaning.

As for working on things like scripting, this week 2 ppl were given 72 hour suspensions on Origin for using a certain program. Before suspending them, the GM apparently even told them it was for the certain program.
Even tho I would've done a perma ban on their accounts, its still a step in the right direction. :thumbup:

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Offhand, I find much to like and little if anything to dislike.

:thumbsup:

-Galen's player

Thav12

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 2, 2008
Great to see new things keep on coming to this fantastic game.

Too bad that they continue to cave to a "dominant" group of CC users, in stead of just pulling the plug on this old resource hogging dud. To correct a previous poster in this thread, this should only be interpreted to mean that the people that loudly and without compromise continue to bash the EC and are unwilling to help secure the future of this game are "dominant". Most people I play with have made a happy transition to the EC, and I bet you that if you would look at the actual numbers, the majority now a days actually uses the EC for their daily game play. The lack of complete automation using the EC is what keeps a lot of the old CC so dominant, I think. I am so happy to see the continued efforts to finish the EC and can't wait for the graphic updates to be patched into the game. I hope those efforts will lead to a happy transition for the few nay-sayers that continue to be so dominant...

I am confident there will be a much more lively market for tamers with the new vendor system. Not sure about the longevity of the brewery system. Apart from a few role players, that recently also scored a victory in getting big boats for their pirating games, I do not see very many people sipping on game beer... I would rather see interesting additions to the actual game mechanics (AI updates) and PvP (Faction buff, arena's etc). To each their own, I guess.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 19, 2002
If they discontinued the classic client when the first new client was released, UO would be dead already.
If they had built and finished that new client properly instead of doing the typical EA garbage of rushing it out the door to meet a deadline, your statement would be untrue.

Alas, this is EA, and so your statement is about as true as they come.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 27, 2004

That is very good news ! Thanks.

I really hope that besides new ways to improve the transition the Bazaar will have something special for these players rather than see the vendors all go just to the same players who perhaps already have tons of vendors all over Luna, Zento and now Magincia.

Also, I think the Arena, if done well and flawlessly, is very important to promote PvP and so Ultima Online as a whole. I hope things will get good progress here as well.

We'll see.

M

mjolnir131

Great to see new things keep on coming to this fantastic game.

Too bad that they continue to cave to a "dominant" group of CC users, in stead of just pulling the plug on this old resource hogging dud. To correct a previous poster in this thread, this should only be interpreted to mean that the people that loudly and without compromise continue to bash the EC and are unwilling to help secure the future of this game are "dominant". Most people I play with have made a happy transition to the EC, and I bet you that if you would look at the actual numbers, the majority now a days actually uses the EC for their daily game play. The lack of complete automation using the EC is what keeps a lot of the old CC so dominant, I think. I am so happy to see the continued efforts to finish the EC and can't wait for the graphic updates to be patched into the game. I hope those efforts will lead to a happy transition for the few nay-sayers that continue to be so dominant...

I am confident there will be a much more lively market for tamers with the new vendor system. Not sure about the longevity of the brewery system. Apart from a few role players, that recently also scored a victory in getting big boats for their pirating games, I do not see very many people sipping on game beer... I would rather see interesting additions to the actual game mechanics (AI updates) and PvP (Faction buff, arena's etc). To each their own, I guess.
well we in the old day would go to one of the pubs in yew and hang out back when K-N was still around so maybe this will make hanging out something to do again.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
I really can't come up with my own "too bad" statement related to clients, other than, "too bad we UO players like to fight over clients instead of just accepting each other's differences."

-Galen's player

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
May 12, 2008
Baja Shard
No go read all the press reviews starting about 18 months after 3D release and dogging UO for have the old client,as the primary, going up against the newer looking games. especially back then, people wanted new and sleek, heavy reliance on the 2d client and fears of killing it hurt us bad.
It is the only thing that kept UO alive then and now and UO knows it.

S

Sevin0oo0

All I can say is WOW. A lot of information was released. Many decisions made and direction looks good as well. Maybe it'll be the start of a new trend? It'd be nice to get UO back on track and people having fun again, instead of people just having a "what got screwed up now" attitude.

The Bait Dangler

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Apr 14, 2011
All I can say is WOW. A lot of information was released. Many decisions made and direction looks good as well. Maybe it'll be the start of a new trend? It'd be nice to get UO back on track and people having fun again, instead of people just having a "what got screwed up now" attitude.
As usual, absolutely nothing related to PvP. :(

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2004
Awards
McMinnville Oregon
High Level Focus:

We feel a slow iterative approach is best when dealing with the client, and will also insure players are not downloading massive art updates each time you log in.

Understand, this does not mean we are abandoning the Classic Client. A dominant number of players still use the Classic Client. However, that intrepid Beta tag is a bit glaring, and we’d like to get the EC to an acceptable state which will allow us to remove it. Along with stability, we would like a better bit of “polish” for its appearance, and how players interact and view the gameworld.
This whole thing was great news and the best Producers update I have seen!
Especially the part I quoted Above All I can say is Thank you and great job giving us a heads up!!
This is a trend I would love to see continue!:thumbup:

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 13, 2008
Great Lakes
uo.com
So its still Beta...

Most important for art fixes is non blurry 1:1 scale.
1. Turn your mouse sensitivity up ("Mouse" in Windows Control Panel), so you're scrolling one line per click.

2. Then, stand in an area like New Haven square, where you'll have plenty of frames of reference (building signs and items littered on the ground). I've discovered the best references are building signs and bone leggings. When these items look 1:1, everything else will too. You want to have several different items on screen at once.

3. Zoom out about 12 clicks, give or take. I have a feeling the number of clicks might depend on your resolution and play window size. I'm running 1920x1080 (23") in a fully expanded play window, and achieved perfect 1:1 scale with 12 clicks. Upon following these instructions, you will find not only trees, plants, usable objects and other items perfectly scaled and sharp, but also your character and creatures! Enjoy!

A contradictory point: The trick above should set you straight. But some others may find the default zoom has a kind of intimate charm, once they get used to it. I think the reason is simply because the "camera" (perspective) is somewhat closer to the terrain and to your characters in the enhanced client than it is in the classic client. This is why terrain and characters pixelate or blur slightly at the default zoom level, and why precise zooming is necessary to achieve 1:1 scale.

Higher resolution art: Calvin's news that art will be "bumped up" to higher resolutions might mean more than merely being able to play at the closer-up, default zoom level without losing 1:1 scale's sharpness. It might mean at the default zoom, aspects of the world of Britannia could become even clearer, sharper, and more detailed than the classic client's rendering of it. Even staunch classic client players might want to "take enhanced vacations" from time to time, to see the world's plant and animal life in sharp, glorious detail. (Realize, much of this may be the SAME ART from the classic client, just higher resolution.)

Pinco's UI: If the information above has you reconsidering the enhanced client, good. As anyone will tell ya, it's still wearing its Beta tag with pride. But you won't get far before every answer to your problems with it sound something like "Get Pinco's UI", a highly polished user interface mod created by a wizard programmer who hangs around the EC beta forums. Most mod makers are now working with Pinco's mod to incorporate all the best ideas in one place. The mod adds a loot bag's worth of features to the stock client and streamlines it (even less clicking than stock EC), while giving all of its gumps (windows) the look and feel of the classic client. The level of communication between Pinco and his user base is high, with popularly suggested features often quickly appearing in the mod. For many players (including myself), this mod makes all the difference. As for installation, the mod includes an easy-to-use patcher just like UO's.

Resource investment: There are people here who believe and argue that UO is "dying", not worth the resources being invested in UO's future (such as through the enhanced client). But I have traditionally avoided those arguments since they began in 1997, opting for more play-time instead. Understand, I adore the classic client, and used to think I'd never leave it behind; I keep it patched up to date, and still visit it occasionally. But for me, the enhanced client (and Pinco's mod and its growing users) represents a unique "meet me half-way" commitment between the game and its players that is reassuring.

M

mjolnir131

It is the only thing that kept UO alive then and now and UO knows it.
If your talking 2d then no, if we had killed it when originally planned there would be about 5 years less negative press that we got. It that would be gone(IE never happened) so chances are we would have held on to more and would have gotten more people to try it during this time period and would have more playing than we do now.

Neutron Bomb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 28, 2008
A dominant number of players still use the Classic Client.
I'm pleased with the whole report, but this was my favorite part. Finally! It's official. Now you few are the minorities or the stubborn few.

Join CC today!

Lord Essex

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 9, 2007
NC
A have a simple request. Make it so one of the ales we can brew will give +10 ninjitsu and +10 DI at the expense of being super drunk (no mana regen). Drunken master!

Haha!!

To Start.. :sad4:

To Fix.. :pint:

Then This.. :beer:

Followed By.. :twak:

Then More.. :beer:

Eventually Afterwards.. :flame:

Completed By.. :grouphug:

Avoiding This.. :fight:

Leading To.. :shots:

Ending With.. :stretcher:

LiquidSolidity

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 18, 2007
The update to the graphics will just be another red herring. 3rd Dawn, Kingdom Reborn etc etc have all been a bad joke. I'd imagine that the graphics update will still leave this game in the 1990s in terms of quality. I'll eat my hat when they actually make the graphics appealing in this game.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 13, 2008
Great Lakes
uo.com
The update to the graphics will just be another red herring. 3rd Dawn, Kingdom Reborn etc etc have all been a bad joke. I'd imagine that the graphics update will still leave this game in the 1990s in terms of quality. I'll eat my hat when they actually make the graphics appealing in this game.
They may just be talking about classic client terrain in higher resolution.

I'm pleased with the whole report, but this was my favorite part. Finally! It's official. Now you few are the minorities or the stubborn few.

Join CC today!
As a fan of both clients, I find this comment unfortunate, because it suggests "You're not playing the game the way I'm playing the game, and that means you're playing it wrong." Not the stuff of good communities. It also presupposes that a dominant number of people play the classic client because it's so awesome, not because the enhanced client has problems (which are surmountable).

This is a poisonous variety of nostalgia, completely unrelated to the responsibility EA Mythic has to pursue new paying customers. The oft-chanted "new customers lol" mantra doesn't work for a development team that has to show up to work, and show progress to a publisher. Ergo, it's fortunate that Calvin's running the ship instead of a bunch of burned out, cynical forum warriors.

Neither client needs crusaders, just play how you like. The clients stand on their own. Both of them seem to be good at bringing in returning players, for which there are many. Only one of them seems to be good at bringing in new players, but may not have retained a sizable portion thus far because of the issues addressed by Calvin. Issues related to art and scale can easily be resolved right now (see the guide in my signature).

F

Fayled Dhreams

holy moly

who are you and how did you get ahold of Cal's account?

:thumbsup: now, THAT's a "producers update"

A little more work on your "possessives", and you might make another year ...

Possesives
And you the player are going to help fill that space.
/false ... no singular perspectives when addressing the general "group" (ie. >I ain't gonna<)
Correct: and players will be able to help fill that space, by yadda yadda ...

This item is something you always wanted for Ultima Online.
/false ... singular perspective; I have destroyed many a career due to alcohol related issues ... homie don't PLAY that in game
Correct: This >skill set / hobby< is something long requested by players to have.

See? just a few possessives/tenses ...
sounds like a "producer"
not a wanna be blending in buddy ...
I don't need no new "buddies"

UO needs a producer ...
One minute manager, Peter Principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia {read it} ...
*shrugs*
I gots six and a half foot of shelf space with similar >vetted< management books for guidelines

those two and a quick Carnegie course, toast masters session's ... and I'll reassess at the next "update"

Rule number one of Fayleds managers:

never say something that can get you a
screw that(you) ... you lie ... reply from your audience

and them be RIGHT ...
/simple

G'Luck ! :danceb:

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008

Join CC today!

Sorry, I simply cannot play a client that uses a postcard game window and postage stamp-sized containers as I have monitors that have 2010 standards for resolution, not 1995 standards.

LiquidSolidity

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 18, 2007
holy moly

who are you and how did you get ahold of Cal's account?

:thumbsup: now, THAT's a "producers update"

A little more work on your "possessives", and you might make another year ...

Possesives
And you the player are going to help fill that space.
/false ... no singular perspectives when addressing the general "group" (ie. >I ain't gonna<)
Correct: and players will be able to help fill that space, by yadda yadda ...

This item is something you always wanted for Ultima Online.
/false ... singular perspective; I have destroyed many a career due to alcohol related issues ... homie don't PLAY that in game
Correct: This >skill set / hobby< is something long requested by players to have.

See? just a few possessives/tenses ...
sounds like a "producer"
not a wanna be blending in buddy ...
I don't need no new "buddies"

UO needs a producer ...
One minute manager, Peter Principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia {read it} ...
*shrugs*
I gots six and a half foot of shelf space with similar >vetted< management books for guidelines

those two and a quick Carnegie course, toast masters session's ... and I'll reassess at the next "update"

Rule number one of Fayleds managers:

never say something that can get you a
screw that(you) ... you lie ... reply from your audience

and them be RIGHT ...
/simple

G'Luck ! :danceb:
How can you give this advice when your post is full of punctuation errors? Your arrogance astounds me.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2004
Awards
McMinnville Oregon

Join CC today!
I am pleased also! What I read is that UO is going to officially put the EC as a non Beta and a Official client of UO!
And the many players that use it and have used the other clients from the past have something we can call Home and We have a very dedicated community of users and mods!
The differences between EC users and the die hard CC users is we except the CC for what it is and its history and place in the uo community! Can the CC users do that with the EC? Hmm we will see Who wants the game their way or have room in their hearts for players with other opinions and styles!
I think The CC players will embrace this just like we would for them!

In the end we are ONE community who should stand together and make this game the game for the next decade!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jan 5, 2001
1. Turn your mouse sensitivity up ("Mouse" in Windows Control Panel), so you're scrolling one line per click.
I didn't know you could do this, and I didn't see what difference it would make if you did. But I tried it, and it does. Thank you.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 13, 2008
Great Lakes
uo.com
I didn't know you could do this, and I didn't see what difference it would make if you did. But I tried it, and it does. Thank you.
Glad to help! If this worked for you, please let us know your resolution, your play window size (if you know it) and about how many clicks it takes you to reach 1:1 scale. :)

FYI there is a command script that EC players can use to make their play window a specific size. This is more precise than dragging it out, and it lets you know exactly how big it is. The script is listed in the command scripts thread in the EC beta forum.