The Bans are happening in droves!

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AesSedai

- If this is true then this is a great day for UO, I'm quite proud of the UO team and very happy for UO's future.
I would also owe Cal an apology for being so skeptical about the latest UO Producer's Update.
If this proves to be true (and if it is then I am optimistic that this is not the end of the latest battle against cheating but the beginning of giving the game back to the rule players that have always wanted to be a part of the UO that the rules describe it to be).

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 27, 2004
P.S. Since trammel was first invented they have slowly tried to abolish pvp from the game. After felucca there has been tram, malas, ilsh, tokuno, abyss. Not one other fel land all trammel facets. So you can see where they put their priorities. They pretty much are now going to be successful in destroying the pvp realm completely.
No, hacking slowly killed PvP. Banning hacking is the first glimmer of hope for PvP in a long time. Let the purification begin.

I totally agree with Syrus of Gahd though I would also add scripting (so-called medic scripts) as PvP killers....

I also see now some light that PvP can finally get done right in Ultima Online and that players can finally play Player vs. Player in this game and loose a fight because the other player was actually better at fighting, and not because they were using some third party or hack help...

Getting rid of scripting and hacking cheats in UO can help Ultima Online immensely, IMHO, PvP included.

C

canary

- If this is true then this is a great day for UO, I'm quite proud of the UO team and very happy for UO's future.
I would also owe Cal an apology for being so skeptical about the latest UO Producer's Update.
If this proves to be true (and if it is then I am optimistic that this is not the end of the latest battle against cheating but the beginning of giving the game back to the rule players that have always wanted to be a part of the UO that the rules describe it to be).
While I know Cal is numeralphobic, I do wish he would release some numbers on bans and such if they are indeed happening.

I too would wish to eat my own words. I guess I'm just playing 'cautious, but optimistic'.

F

Fraggles

Im not sure i understand all the hipe about someone or someones getting banned. it happens every week. this is not the first time someone has got banned! perhaps its just the first time someone posted about it? its nothing new and not out of the ordenary so please everyone calm down and take a deep breath its not the end of the world. bans will happen and those that do wrong will get whats comming to them

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 27, 2004
Im not sure i understand all the hipe about someone or someones getting banned. it happens every week. this is not the first time someone has got banned! perhaps its just the first time someone posted about it? its nothing new and not out of the ordenary so please everyone calm down and take a deep breath its not the end of the world. bans will happen and those that do wrong will get whats comming to them

Yes, but nonetheless having 3 players being banned all at once from the same one Guild is a coincidence that makes one think about something "special" going on and not as being just the same "casual", "sporadic", "ordinary" banning activity.

It kinda sounds something "special", the beginning of a new era for Ultima Online, so to speak.......

Or, perhaps, it is merely just the bursting of a great desire to finally see something serious being done in Ultima Online against cheating.........

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 3, 2007
The same way reducing taxes increases revenue, reducing cheating will increase participation/subscriptions. And just as in real life, half the population will never understand this.

F

Fraggles

WELL we dont know all the details of that banning, since they where in the same guild they possibly where talking of scripting in gc or they could have been involved in the rares dupe that happend on that shard about a week ago

S

StaticOnAtlantic

odd all my afk miners are still mining hmm.. o well.
yep seen them all day, This perma ban, is complete smoke, theres nothing going on. Ive spoken to friends who use these "DASTARDLY, Game Ruining" programs and one has 4 accounts running from server up, to server down and has had them going for months, You would of figured he would of been on the "top" but nothing, This is all smoke and mirrors.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 11, 2004
Chesapeake
actually middle of a pvp battle last night nearly half a guild disappeared mid spell cast. Banned. icqs of all those opponents were banned perma. most of the people banned are claiming they were perma banned.
ban their ICQs? huh? ISPs? lol be funny if they somehow banned their ICQs :)

I'm not sure why people care so much about training skills illegally (unless you like to be a policeman)
Illegal is illegal, as I think Raven noted. But if there's a way to script tame to 120 let me know (jk, lol).

odd all my afk miners are still mining hmm.. o well.
Nice. lol. Swarm, swarm, swarm!

It's funny how people think PvP is 100% full of "hacks" though, lol. As Cowboy noted, lotta people speed, but that happens in RL too, eh? :p

B

Beer_Cayse

I'm gonna take my ball and go home?

In all honesty I can see both sides on this ... however folks have been warned repeatedly over at least the last year that poo was gonna hit the fan in some manner. Yes ... it's late. Yes, it should have happened eons ago.

However the warnings were out and even folks who do not read Herald or here should have gotten the word from guildies or others in-game at least. Especially if they are on ICQ, Vent or even chat.

As others have pointed out it also has happened that true innocents have been previously hit with the same ban-hammer as truly wrong persons. There is an appeals process and let them that feel unjustly slammed fight (or not) as they see fit.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 3, 2004
Tyria
Sorry. I had to finish the chicken I was baking in the oven and just got back up to speed reading the topic :)

The thing is if banning people to get rid of the offenders closes the game because people need to cheat then so be it. Sick of people trying to justify why cheats are needed. If they dont want to work the skills then go play a game you can level then. If you cant pvp in UO without cheats and speed then go play Hello Kitty Adventure Island. If you cant get resources legally then buy them from people that do. UO wasnt meant to be a fast paced game so the argument over time and playing is pointless. If the game is to time consuming for cheaters please (yet again I have to mention) go play Hello Kitty Adventure Island.

ilot

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 27, 2004
This thread is so funny.

People get exited with no fact.

Scripters (using script to loop an anction you have to do 1 gillion times to achieve something in this game)

Cheaters (using others apps/tools to gain client advantage (speed and more) to make profit, either money or power)

I bet there is more scripters account active than real played account.

Still here?

T

Travis82

I think its just all smoke again, maybe a dev can clear things up by tomorrow usa time.

rareitem

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 14, 2005
EUROPA
I agree with Ilot, I bet there are more scripters out there than legal players , this game is going to be empty soon if the bannings are true. Just a call for Devs, raising a skill is EXTREMELY BORING in this game, keep that in mind .

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 27, 2008
"but ... but ... I overclock my cpu ! that's why i'm sooooo good."

:lol:
There are nearly a half dozen ways a computer illiterate player can use without cheating to substantially increase their speed.

T

Travis82

My home server just went up happy to say all script miners including mine are going strong. Maybe this was just an Atlantic thing in general?

B

Beer_Cayse

or the start of things?

EA Power That Is #1: How can we do this without being all willy-nilly?
EA Power That Is #2: How about alphabetically?
EA Power That Is #1: Great idea! make it so #2!

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 22, 2008
Anfield
Whatevers.

I'm sick of people thinking that if all the cheaters are gone, all of a sudden they can PvP again.

Fact of the matter is, if you quit PvPing because people were using cheats, you were never good enough to hold your own and PvP in the first place.

Don't make excuses for yourself.

J

[JD]

"but ... but ... I overclock my cpu ! that's why i'm sooooo good."
actually i just upgraded my vid card and it made a remarkable difference in my performance.

it would be nice for this to actually be happening, however so far it just sounds like a rumor since theres no other confirmations

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Feb 12, 2005
Awards
Atlantic born and raised
Whatevers.

I'm sick of people thinking that if all the cheaters are gone, all of a sudden they can PvP again.

Fact of the matter is, if you quit PvPing because people were using cheats, you were never good enough to hold your own and PvP in the first place.

And I would expect better from a mod.... man.

Truth is I was only half assed at best against speed hacks etc. So I stopped. Could care less about PvP until EA/Mythic put a stop to it. When of IF they ever finally stop the junk then I will PvP right along with the rest of the legal folks. I don't play cards with a cheat, because you only win IF you get very lucky. Same applies to PvP.

jrede23

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 29, 2009
No, hacking slowly killed PvP. Banning hacking is the first glimmer of hope for PvP in a long time. Let the purification begin.
Do you pvp sir? By pvp i do not mean sitting at yew gate as a blue, thats not a pvper. In my opinion if ur not in factions ur not a pvper PERIOD. However, u know what they say about opinions.... neway everyone cries hacks when they die like little girls. They just cant admit good is good. What hacks are out there? stump hack, that one does make u soo leet u can run thru things, personally i wish i used it cuz those tombstones wreckk me. But how does that really help u in pvp? u can chase down the person running away from you? he shoulda been fighting instead of running neway. The speed hacks? How fast do u think u can actually move on a server? I have an overclocked system and ping 20 on certain shards and ppl who run the speed hack next to me when i dont; im still faster then. So that doesnt help. MEDIC? not one single good pvper uses it. U need to be able to time cures and heals. I dont see all these hacks out there that ruined pvp. What ruined pvp? Guard zones for one. House hiding. Not enough to do in the ONE pvp world we have! PETS, Mysticism, AOS, and the list goes on! Its slowly dieing not getting reinvigorated! EA has not done anything for pvp in the last ten years but make it go from bad to worse. Why? because they take advice of trammies crying that they wanna try pvp but arent any good at it. They dont ever take advice from any of the real pvpers, they just listen to the ones who pay there bills. The trammies. I dont know about the actual statistics but id say only about 20% of the game players are pvpers. I can go to four shards and fight all of the same ppl. U go to four shards in tram and u will find completely different ppl and rarely the same person on two shards let alone the same groups or guilds.

S

StaticOnAtlantic

Whatevers.

WORD

jrede23

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 29, 2009
Whatevers.

Well said Sir! well said!

Lt.Snuggles

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jan 25, 2010
Do you pvp sir? By pvp i do not mean sitting at yew gate as a blue, thats not a pvper. In my opinion if ur not in factions ur not a pvper PERIOD. However, u know what they say about opinions.... neway everyone cries hacks when they die like little girls. They just cant admit good is good. What hacks are out there? stump hack, that one does make u soo leet u can run thru things, personally i wish i used it cuz those tombstones wreckk me. But how does that really help u in pvp? u can chase down the person running away from you? he shoulda been fighting instead of running neway. The speed hacks? How fast do u think u can actually move on a server? I have an overclocked system and ping 20 on certain shards and ppl who run the speed hack next to me when i dont; im still faster then. So that doesnt help. MEDIC? not one single good pvper uses it. U need to be able to time cures and heals. I dont see all these hacks out there that ruined pvp. What ruined pvp? Guard zones for one. House hiding. Not enough to do in the ONE pvp world we have! PETS, Mysticism, AOS, and the list goes on! Its slowly dieing not getting reinvigorated! EA has not done anything for pvp in the last ten years but make it go from bad to worse. Why? because they take advice of trammies crying that they wanna try pvp but arent any good at it. They dont ever take advice from any of the real pvpers, they just listen to the ones who pay there bills. The trammies. I dont know about the actual statistics but id say only about 20% of the game players are pvpers. I can go to four shards and fight all of the same ppl. U go to four shards in tram and u will find completely different ppl and rarely the same person on two shards let alone the same groups or guilds.

I agree with you fully good person..like 150%. people cry the exact same cheat talk on my shard. And yes,i wish there were NO guardzones fel wise. would make me and my fellow pvpers happy.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
May 12, 2008
Baja Shard
At the end of the day, we all suffer from declining populations. it seems to me that this is just accelerating that decline in population. Most veterans returning to UO, play a week, find the content and lack of community disheartening and then decide to speed build a character so they can play the end game because the rest of UO has become so un-fulfilling.
And I know a lot of veterans that ask me about the cheating and dont bother coming back. Maybe if UO lets people know that they are doing something about it, then those that quit because of the cheating will come back.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 27, 2008
Whatevers.

QFT. This is pure fact right here.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
May 12, 2008
Baja Shard
What shard are you playing on Omnius? I have many finished chars on mutiple shards. Ill aska round if you tell em what shard you are on to see if any truth is to this if I may.
He posts a lot on the Legends Forum and the Legends EM Forum

temu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 14, 2006
Whatevers.

This is the best post in this entire thread. I've been saying this in game for years.

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 28, 2008
Down south *messin' with Texas*
I think those of you who think this is all just smoke ...are wrong.

All cheaters should grant co-ownership to someone who doesn't use third-party programs, just in case.

Does anyone know if they are only banning the offending account or does it include every account owned by that person?

BlissMarie

S

Sevin0oo0

most have multiple accts, their 'main' has the house, and they keep that one pretty clean.

What'd you get?

A

A Bad Player

I think those of you who think this is all just smoke ...are wrong.

All cheaters should grant co-ownership to someone who doesn't use third-party programs, just in case.

Does anyone know if they are only banning the offending account or does it include every account owned by that person?

BlissMarie
Two people I've asked have only had one of several of their accounts banned. I was dumb and immediately hopped on my second acct and paged asking wtf was going on so that one got banned when I got close to qeue.

And a side note, granting co-ownership to your house doesn't matter. They cleared all access and co-own lists on my houses.

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 28, 2008
Down south *messin' with Texas*
Two people I've asked have only had one of several of their accounts banned. I was dumb and immediately hopped on my second acct and paged asking wtf was going on so that one got banned when I got close to qeue.

And a side note, granting co-ownership to your house doesn't matter. They cleared all access and co-own lists on my houses.
Thank you for replying.

It looks as if UO is going through some changes.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 28, 2003
United States
They're making it very difficult to retrieve your ill-gotten gains. Wonder if the stuff will disappear with the houses to make sure it's gone.

Nice to know they are being serious about this. :)

jtw1984

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 12, 2008
I logged in today and was in jail! I guess they are banning people.

R

ReaperNI

Man this trammie crap hurts my head id like to see a post from someone being banned and for what. this cloak and dagger crap that uo.stratics has about saying something about cheats is bs. plenty of trammies dont have it but they sure learned the curse word speed hacker. so lets not play games here everyone knows about scripts and hacks but lets hear it from the horses mouth. and not ban my post or someone coming forward and saying what they got banned for . And just so you know trammies cheat as much as pvpers using gathering scripts and such. And most people crying about dying to sped hackers are just crappy pvpers to begin with i fought people that have told me they have cheated and i have won and lost vs them.

BTW you trammies will still all be killed by my non scripting red say hello to my 15 ping rating and cry some more

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 31, 2005
parts unknown
EA shouldn't have even gave any warning. If you're cheating, don't act surprised when you're busted. These players know what they're doing and deserve it, when banned.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Jul 16, 2003
Southeastern Kentucky
home.kih.net
To those claiming "This was ignored for 10 years so they shouldn't do it now"...

To use your logic, because the 14th-16th amendments were ignored in the south (and many places further north) from 1875-ish on, then all civil rights cases brought before the supreme court in the 1950s and 1960s (especially those not based on a reversed previous ruling) should have summarily dismissed from lack of enforcement.

Non-enforcement does not change illegality, for when it finally is enforced.

F

FishinFool

Let's just hope they continue and follow through. That is what was lacking previously. Banning a handful of people here and there does nothing.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Aug 21, 2000
Great Lakes
uorpc.net
Just wanted to get a post in before this thread gets locked. :lol:
They aren't going to lock this thread unless we go about DEV bashing.....

Those who are admitting to cheating and bragging about it will never get banned from stratics or anywhere....

And my honest opinion is that no one has really been banned yet.

And I just wonder when anyone will actually start to get banned. From what I've seen and heard myself no one has really been banned yet... least not any of the cheaters that I know of.

Boba

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 17, 2008
Whatevers.

And guess what, if EA is finally doing something about illegal apps, i'm sure there will be people coming back to pvp again.

What does this have to do with anything? If you're one of those with raw natural talent, and the use of 3rd party apps disappears, what bearing will this have on you PvPing or your overall skill?

Your tone makes it sound like you're disappointed that EA is finally doing something about the rampant cheating. Do you feel as if you can't PvP anymore without these apps?

Fact of the matter is, if you are good at PvPing without the use of cheats, you are good enough to hold your own and PvP in the first place.

Don't make excuses for the acceptance of illegal 3rd party apps.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 27, 2008
To those claiming "This was ignored for 10 years so they shouldn't do it now"...

To use your logic, because the 14th-16th amendments were ignored in the south (and many places further north) from 1875-ish on, then all civil rights cases brought before the supreme court in the 1950s and 1960s (especially those not based on a reversed previous ruling) should have summarily dismissed from lack of enforcement.

I want everyone in this thread to go learn a little about the law and how non enforcement of laws over large periods of time impacts sudden enforcement of those laws.

V

Vandetta

Well to be honest I can see this being the end of uo on some shards. Mass bannings as were stated will kill this game.
I have many more things to say but I will stop at that.
Been a fun ride but this game is already dead.
Have fun.
Hugs

A

A Bad Player

They aren't going to lock this thread unless we go about DEV bashing.....

Those who are admitting to cheating and bragging about it will never get banned from stratics or anywhere....

And my honest opinion is that no one has really been banned yet.

And I just wonder when anyone will actually start to get banned. From what I've seen and heard myself no one has really been banned yet... least not any of the cheaters that I know of.
Did you miss my post where I said I myself got banned and know of others? WAIT I TOTALLY MADE IT UP.

Lol at whoever compared civil rights to a video game. Severity and seriousness of the circumstances should greatly influence the outcome. (video games aren't meant to be serious, civil rights are!)

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
SoCal.

Indeed, this is EA/Mythics game. Just because it is believed that they have ignored illegal actions for years doesn't change the fact that they are violating the TOS that EVERYONE has agreed to abide by and they are very well within their right to take action no matter how long it has been.

Illegal is illegal and there is no statute of limitations on cheating in this game, lmao!

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 27, 2008
Hate to break it to you, but this is EA/Mythics game. Just because it is believed that they have ignored illegal actions for years doesn't change the fact that they are violating the TOS that EVERYONE has agreed to abide by and they are very well within their right to take action no matter how long it has been.

Illegal is illegal and there is no statute of limitations on cheating in this game, lmao!
The stupidity of everything you said is astounding. I was criticizing his statement not the relevance or closeness of his analogy. You then proceeded to throw around more terms you don't understand emphasizing my point that many of the posters here are clueless.

Status
Not open for further replies.