• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hail Zig_Mythic

Z

Zig_Mythic

Hail, and thank you for the welcome!

Yes and no :)

I'm not new to UO, been playing for a loooong time.

As for the Mythic part, that is new!

N

Nastia Cross

Welcome! *passes Zig Legendary Flak Jacket of Invulnerability* You'll need this...

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
That is wonderful news. Congratulations on your new position.

Roughly speaking, what are your duties as "UO Liaison"? Who are you liaisoning between?

Welcome. :)

A

AdamD

So you're the new UO community coordinator? Or does your title mean something else?

Also, are you the old Stratics admin ZigZag by any chance? heh

B

BeefSupreme

What? Did I read that right? There's someone
at mythic that has played UO?

...Are those trumpets I hear?

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome!

If you are Zigzag from Stratics, Congratulations on he job!

A

AesSedai

- Whoah, hang on a minute... we gots more new blood coming into UO (okay I know you're not exactly new and all...)? Sounds great und welcommen Zig! Liaise away :)

(I read your name and Sid Vicious popped into my head. No, I'm not implying anything at all, just sharing how bizarrely my brain connects dots sometimes)

(x: ya' know, I did see _zigzag_'s name on the list last night and started wondering how said user had been doing...)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*tips hat and smiles*

Zooithion

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome to our madness... err... We love uo most of the time. Good to see you!

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome aboard Zig!

Look forward to reading your official announcement post.

athos_uo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail, and thank you for the welcome!

Yes and no :)

I'm not new to UO, been playing for a loooong time.

As for the Mythic part, that is new!
Wow, you are zigzag!? Welcome again aboard!

You were once [QT] at UOHoC and you took my question. Thanks!

Then, please give me your direct answer(s) when I ask!

BTW, as a dev or a community rep?

E

Eyes of Origin

Zigs title on Stratics is UO Liaison... I'm just wondering for what I guess... we have the Ask the Dev forum and we have Andy.. so is Zig helping Andy or is Zig maybe helping with the Ask the Devs forum... a little insight would be nice.

Z

Zig_Mythic

Hey everyone,

In a nutshell, my function as UO Liaison is to assist the Devs with gathering feedback and info relating to key issues and concerns from players.

That’s the short version. The ‘tl;dr’ version follows :)

I will be helping the UO Team by being another set of eyes on the forums relaying any issues you guys report or problems you might have in-game.

Please understand though I’m not a Dev and I’m not Community. I’ll reply to your posts all I can but remember most of the time I’m going to have to ask questions to get answers so when I post “I’ll have to ask” it’s legit! :p

Thanks again everyone for the welcome!

Warsong of LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So then what the heck is the ask the devs forum for? Lets get on it zig, I know there has been more questions asked than have been posted. :)

So is it just here on stratics or are you covering other UO fansite and their forums as well?

Z

Zig_Mythic

That forum still serves as a place to ask questions - I'm not a replacement for it by any means.

I'll be lurking other places too, not just here. :)

Ancient Sosarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail Sosarians,

I bid thee Welcome, most elusive & evasive Zig!

I add to my welcome my thanks for your efforts.

Posts with complaints OR cudos all may hold valuable nuggets for thy consideration and use.

Perhaps you might also remind the folks of the official methods to provide feedback, bugs, concerns, suggestions, etc..

Hopefully most, if not all, among us will contribute toward the improvement and preservation of our Beloved Sosaria and to ways to enhance the fun and enjoyment of all of our Players & Payers!

An SoS

G

georgemarvin2001

Welcome, Zig
I do have an issue which you may want to remind the Devs about: People have to use massive numbers of vendors with BOD books with 500 BODs in them, which creates black holes: Areas with so many items in an extremely small area that movement slows to a crawl in the whole surrounding area.

One of my neighbors is using 43 vendors for storage (I thought it was about 30, till I counted). At almost 500 BODs per vendor, that's 20,000 plus items in an 8x6 area. That much item density creates a massive area of lag. When I try to get to the road from my house, it takes a couple of minutes to travel 25 tiles.

Please remind the Devs that there are a lot of ways that they could consolidate the BOD system so that players wouldn't need to keep tens of thousands of BODs handy just to fill a couple of LBODs a day.

There have been intermittent promises that the problem would be addressed every few months since 2003. I know that the odds of getting something fixed after 7 years aren't good, but please remember that, as the number of BODs in the game just keeps getting larger every year, so will the lag monster that they create.

If the BOD system could just be consolidated so that everything was 20 exceptional, with only 1 LBOD per color, it would mean that people would only need about 1/20th as many BODs in storage, and their neighbors wouldn't have to deal with the lag problems that storing massive numbers of BODs create. 33%x33%x50%=5% of the current storage needed. Then there is the fact that, with a much smaller number of possible BODs, the odds of getting a BOD which would fill an LBOD would be 20 times as great, so there would probably actually be less than 1% of the current number of BODs in storage. Removing 99%+ of the BODs from storage would be great for everybody.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bods are used to train new smiths and tailors. The only solution would be to allow more bods per book so they do not need so many vendors.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of my neighbors is using 43 vendors for storage.
I think your problem is something other than your neighbors BODs. I have 45 BOD vendors at my shop. They are pretty much full. Most sell BODs but there are nine used just for stock. I have absolutely no problem with lag when going in or out of my house or when recalling either. I can have three accounts logged in when playing with my daughter and my son. We experience no lag at my shop. I have a 7MB/s DSL connection and ping under 90 to Pacific shard.

F

Fink

Please remind the Devs that there are a lot of ways that they could consolidate the BOD system so that players wouldn't need to keep tens of thousands of BODs handy just to fill a couple of LBODs a day.
I don't think we were ever meant to fill in a couple of large bulk orders a day. The issue of bulk order overload is player-generated, not a flaw inherent in the system.

C

Chalce

I don't think we were ever meant to fill in a couple of large bulk orders a day. The issue of bulk order overload is player-generated, not a flaw inherent in the system.
Sure it's an inherent flaw. It's designed right in there.

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If a user is able to do something unfortunate using your system, there is an inherent design flaw in that system: namely, that a user is able to do that unfortunate thing.

In this specific case, the true design flaw is that all data for all items is loaded all the time, instead of asynchronously when needed. A great deal of the lag in UO could be minimized or eliminated if they optimized the data-serving schemes.

F

Fink

If a user is able to do something unfortunate using your system, there is an inherent design flaw in that system: namely, that a user is able to do that unfortunate thing.
Everything's foolproof until you go adding fools. A flaw is a failure to function as intended, not an ability to function in accordance with creative stupidity.

Amren

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey everyone,

In a nutshell, my function as UO Liaison is to assist the Devs with gathering feedback and info relating to key issues and concerns from players.

That’s the short version. The ‘tl;dr’ version follows :)

I will be helping the UO Team by being another set of eyes on the forums relaying any issues you guys report or problems you might have in-game.

Please understand though I’m not a Dev and I’m not Community. I’ll reply to your posts all I can but remember most of the time I’m going to have to ask questions to get answers so when I post “I’ll have to ask” it’s legit! :p

Thanks again everyone for the welcome!
Why is the tl;dr version longer then your initial answer?

Faerunner

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey, Zig!

Fink, I'm using this quote from you as my sig now: "A flaw is a failure to function as intended, not an ability to function in accordance with creative stupidity."

I've got few complaints about the game, but when I do you'll hear 'em! :D Glad you'll be lurking elsewhere as well - there are widely varying opinions about the game and some people don't post here... 'course I hope in your duties you'll be doing live polls in Britannia! I know a few players who don't post on forums at all (or very rarely), but still have genuinely good feedback.

Z

Zig_Mythic

Why is the tl;dr version longer then your initial answer?
I used 'tl;dr' meaning "too long;didn't read" since that part of my post is more of an explanation (and longer than) the initial definition I typed. :)

edited for spelling (the coffee hasn't kicked in yet)

Z

Zig_Mythic

I've got few complaints about the game, but when I do you'll hear 'em! :D Glad you'll be lurking elsewhere as well - there are widely varying opinions about the game and some people don't post here... 'course I hope in your duties you'll be doing live polls in Britannia! I know a few players who don't post on forums at all (or very rarely), but still have genuinely good feedback.
I'm reallllly good at lurking - both on forums and in-game :thumbup1:

C

canary

Can't pay attention unless I lurk :)
Yes, god forbid you make people aware you are on top of things. God forbid that the UO Team not show visibly that they are working on their communication, which is arguably the worst of any online mmorpg. God forbid. rolleyes:

At least kudos to you for responding to things in this thread.

Z

Zig_Mythic

Yes, god forbid you make people aware you are on top of things. God forbid that the UO Team not show visibly that they are working on their communication, which is arguably the worst of any online mmorpg. God forbid. rolleyes:

At least kudos to you for responding to things in this thread.
The whole point of me being here is to help remedy the communication issues - where I can. As I've said I'm not a Dev, so I don't - and won't - have any immediate answers for anything.

What I will do is pass things along to those who can help. If I am able to provide an answer I will. If I am not able to, I'll find someone who can.

I apologize if this isn't the immediate solution you are looking for, however, this is certainly a step towards improving things.

C

canary

The whole point of me being here is to help remedy the communication issues - where I can. As I've said I'm not a Dev, so I don't - and won't - have any immediate answers for anything.

What I will do is pass things along to those who can help. If I am able to provide an answer I will. If I am not able to, I'll find someone who can.

I apologize if this isn't the immediate solution you are looking for, however, this is certainly a step towards improving things.
Not having immediate answers is OK, sometimes its knowing that a problem/ issue has merely been ACKNOWLEDGED goes a long way.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not having immediate answers is OK, sometimes its knowing that a problem/ issue has merely been ACKNOWLEDGED goes a long way.
I think that's where the lack of communication hurt the most. No confidence something will get fixed is bad. No confidence that they are even aware when there are issues was maddening.

I'm glad Mythic is now showing that they heard us and knew there was a communication shortfall and are now addressing it. UHallers can be a difficult bunch but I think we all realize not everything we want will we get. Not every problem has an easy fix. It goes a long way though if we simply know the devs are listening to us and that we know our communication results in things being worked on by the devs.

C

canary

I think that's where the lack of communication hurt the most. No confidence something will get fixed is bad. No confidence that they are even aware when there are issues was maddening.

I'm glad Mythic is now showing that they heard us and knew there was a communication shortfall and are now addressing it. UHallers can be a difficult bunch but I think we all realize not everything we want will we get. Not every problem has an easy fix. It goes a long way though if we simply know the devs are listening to us and that we know our communication results in things being worked on by the devs.
EXACTLY. Hence, 'lurking' is not an awesome idea.