• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Interesting Interview with Devs. Hints of classic server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheGrayGhost

We need more Devs like this Cal bloke, I like the way he thinks.

For FAR to long have the old Britannians (those of us who played and enjoyed the game prior to Fel/Tram) been shafted in favor of the (as he so accurately puts it) "care bares."

In 2001 we were all forced into Ren, against the wishes of many, MANY players (most of whom have since left and now play on free shards that let them play the way they want to). UO has never, ever, been the same since. It hurt the game, it hurt and devided the community.

Luckily, this is UO we are talking about, and it remains the best MMO there is despite all the the changes it has endured. Most other games would of folded long ago with such drastic changes.

The amount of players out there that would come back to UO if it was to go back towards its golden era (t2a), would stagger the modern Trammie I reckon. With Ren (and to a lesser extent AoS) the playerbase was changed. Many, many, MANY, older players left and made way for a different type of UO player.

What you all must remember is, if it werent for those early years ('97-'00), there would be no UO. The success that UO was in those days paved the way for the game to be what it is today; the longest running MMO in history. It wasn't post-Ren that UO was the most populated MMO of it's time, it was prior to, and during the Second Age.

Going back to that era and putting parts of it back into modern UO can only be a good thing for the game.
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FBritannia_%28Ultima_Online%29&ei=8KyLSsiSOM2IkAXD9rgq&usg=AFQjCNG4yVyOxTmsNCbl_pdF45YSTttQrA&sig2=SJxgYYNbdsxnQh4x2jrx2g

People seem to always forget this oO. Yes, Pre-Trammel UO was awsome and I enjoyed it a great deal myself. But facts come into play here, it was losing subs. Had around 100k subs and falling (If that at the time). Guess what, Trammel came and UO subs spiked up to 250k. Don't let nostalgia cloud your memory. Without Tram, there would be no UO today.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The first year of UO was my best time in UO and I wish my game back.

Well, maybe it is a matter of one's own luck, who knows, but my memories of that Wild WILD West are filled of ganks, rez-killing, scams of innocent new players, break-in hacks and a bunch of other unfairnesses.

And no, even though I was a scribe and spent good time in Britain selling my scrolls (back then noone was scribing) and got to be a good friend with all of the thieves who would leave me alone as well as my customers, I DID go out in the wild and participate to the wild life.

Infact, I do remember for the first months to run Powerscroll Champion spawns along with many others and it was fun, back then, because reds where a true minority and whenever they showed up, all of the blues present would have no problem dealing with them.

Back then, the problem was thieves stealing scrolls but certainly not pkillers.

Then, all of this went out of hand, pkilling became too rampant and scared off people away, and with Trammel it was end of the story.

The old Ultima Online had a very little number of pkillers, initially, and until that lasted it was not too hard to contain it.

Now, it is a whole different story as they are the most fit for fighting with their uber suits and items and money to spend so, there is no challenge possible that it is helpless.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Enigma, you have no proof to state that majority of players dislike non-consensual PvP/Felucca/whatever.

If anyone would have any hard numbers on that then that would be the people in charge of the game. Not the self-professed High Priestesses of U-Hall.

Also, I highly doubt that he meant to insult anyone's game play preferences. He probably made the remark in an innocent manner, bit of a joke.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Yes, a lot of people have no real clue about the history of this game or they look back upon it through rose colored glasses because it did or does agree with their playstyle.

Do you guys even know where the term 'carebear' came from, who they were,or what they (we) did? I'll bet Calvin doesn't.
I sure do, carebears was the ones who stole my game and turned into a carebear game ranted T insted of M

It really wasn't about PvP, or being killed, or being looted. It was about the disruption of play.

I prefer to spend my time playing the way I want. Some days it's fighting and some days it is not. But I certainly don't want you suddenly turning up and deciding today's play session is about PvP when I want to do something else.

It really as simple as that. I get to decide how I chose to play, not you.
It's a multiplayer game, you can't always have what you want as others may want something different.

Oh, you don't want to play the PK's game game, sorry, but we all played in same game, and if we ask you for money or your life or just kill you for fun, you must play with us in oure game. You did have a lot of choice, you could just use your head and try to make it to your game too. Pay, run, fight, speak, play with others to be safe in numbers or stay in town zone, that was your choice.

EA should had made a few carebear shards instead of destroying my game. I was not even a PK at that time but a blue lady who loved interact with this wild red players.

You still have yours game but mine is long gone and so are all my friends.

E

ElRay

Not to mention scripting and unattended macroing which helped clear out counts without much pain for those Reds who did not disdain to use them making the whole system of counts a joke since they became painless to wipe.......
Huh? What are you talking about? It took 8 REAL LIFE HOURS to count off one murder count.........unattended or attended it was a pain in the ass and was one of the main reasons red players were kept in check. Hello anyone in there Mcfly?

Poops, did you even play back then? Every post you post about "back in da day"
makes me think you didnt.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If anyone that plays UO thinks the population is so LARGE that UO is NOT near a line that has extinction on it, then YOU HAD BETTER LET THIS MAN KNOW YOUR POSITION.

I have been trying to because, as a multi-years paying customer, I feel the matter as important to me, even though I get posts blocked.........

E

ElRay

Good luck with all that, Cal & Team...us Care Bears that don't care won't be there, I am pretty sure. If that is truly what was meant by that statement.
:danceb:

Translation: Nameless face #127483 paying $12.99 monthly fee will be not be paying for an upgrade..............oh well, nameless faces #127484 and #127485 will be taking his place.

And so on, and so forth.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Enigma, you have no proof to state that majority of players dislike non-consensual PvP/Felucca/whatever.

If anyone would have any hard numbers on that then that would be the people in charge of the game. Not the self-professed High Priestesses of U-Hall.

Also, I highly doubt that he meant to insult anyone's game play preferences. He probably made the remark in an innocent manner, bit of a joke.
Tomas, you had your say :) I will have my rebuttal and then lets agree to just move on :)

I have every bit of Proof that you have to the contrary, I can point to empty PvP Felluca ... Empty except for the Scriptors that work there unmolested.

Your doubt is noted, but what you can not dismiss is the hesitation("I'll just go ahead and say it, where the "Care Bears"") that 100% indicates a knowledge of the insult and then chooses to proceed with it.

Yes I concede and I HOPE you will concede that one NOT being present at the interview, then one does NOT know the facial expressions ... the body language that gives context to the statement.

BUT keep in mind this is a person in Authority, it isn't YOU or ME being quoted here. Should we NOT EXPECT/DEMAND a higher level of awareness/sensitivity from him, when speaking in public?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Clearly and obviously I cannot say what the intent was, but I can at least express my personal perception of that and, to say it politely, personally I did NOT like it being said by an official representative of a game I am a customer of (and have been for years).

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Well, maybe it is a matter of one's own luck, who knows, but my memories of that Wild WILD West are filled of ganks, rez-killing, scams of innocent new players, break-in hacks and a bunch of other unfairnesses.

And no, even though I was a scribe and spent good time in Britain selling my scrolls (back then noone was scribing) and got to be a good friend with all of the thieves who would leave me alone as well as my customers, I DID go out in the wild and participate to the wild life.
There you see, you learned to get along with the thieves, I learned to get along with the PK's too :)

The old Ultima Online had a very little number of pkillers, initially, and until that lasted it was not too hard to contain it.

Now, it is a whole different story as they are the most fit for fighting with their uber suits and items and money to spend so, there is no challenge possible that it is helpless.
Here you are wrong, there is not more PK's now vs blue but they are only allowed to be on one facet. If we made all land with Felucca rules, you would see less PK's as they was spread out over all facets.

Also, now they can hide on their blues when they want do something else than PKing, if all the land was Felucca, their enemies would find out who was their blue chars and they could not hide so easy.

G

Godiva_DF

Who is this Cal person anyway?

I find it a bit much to insult a large percentage of players when it was the Devs that were originally the source of the carebear lands. Being too lazy or inept to properly integrate consensual and non-consensual pvp without ressorting to the dumb plan of just copying the lands...

Well he cannot have been around at the time when there was no trammel, because I did not see him. I was never a pvper but I lived happy in the pre-trammel world the devs destroyed.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Translation: Nameless face #127483 paying $12.99 monthly fee will be not be paying for an upgrade..............oh well, nameless faces #127484 and #127485 will be taking his place.

And so on, and so forth.
Wouldn't it be smarter business to retain nameless face #127483 and acquire nameless faces #127484 and #127485 at the same time?

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Enigma: Neither of us have any proof and it all depends on how exactly you define things. However, I would not go and argue with the people who actually have the hard data :p

From a PR perspective, he probably should have not used that term! However, I find it refreshing to know that he has a sense of humor. Based on his interview with the Japanese site, he does not seem like a person who has it against any group of legitimate players. The expansion for instance is filled with what some would consider carebearish. *shrugs*

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Holy mountains out of molehills, Batman! (in my humble opinion)

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Huh? What are you talking about? It took 8 REAL LIFE HOURS to count off one murder count.........unattended or attended it was a pain in the ass and was one of the main reasons red players were kept in check. Hello anyone in there Mcfly?

Poops, did you even play back then? Every post you post about "back in da day"
makes me think you didnt.

I knew people leaving the game to run all night or when at school to clean murder counts and from what I heard it was not isolated players but quite a few Reds cleaning their counts the easy way....

But yes, even though there were work arounds to clean counts the system still worked to keep the number of Reds in check.....

And, I think, the key is all there, keep their number in check.

I mean, usually those who PvP are more skilled of those who don't because that is their area of interest.

This means, that for 1 red that there is probably there need to be out there many more blues because some won't even get close to fighting and of those who would, on average to face a red several of them might be needed.

What I am trying to say, is that should an early UO be tried on a separate shard, then I think a serious system to keep under check the number of reds should be in place.

Stat Loss, murder count, whatever limits the number of reds and make blues outnumber them by many folds.

M

Mephistos

Well, his reference to "Carebears" pretty much is in reference to everyone not on Siege. If you play on a regular shard, with Trammel, you're a "Carebear" too. Don't tell me you don't run to Trammel to shop "safely". Don't say you don't hang out at Luna bank or wherever to "macro off" murder counts. If you use Trammel for anything, you are a "Carebear" too. So him using the term really is kinda derogatory to everyone, unless you play on Siege.

Now, let's remember the "Wild West". If he really does it like the original Felluca, I'm actually good with it. Let's have reds have stat loss. Lets have a bounty system. Let's not allow the easy "macroing off" of murder counts by a bank or wherever. Reds and grey's can be killed on site without any repercussions. Reds can't use banks in towns, just like the original UO intended.

It was this type of UO (the real "Wild West"), that was going down the tubes. Trammel saved it, and allowed people to enjoy this game on their own terms, not on someone elses...

P.S. - I have enjoyed all facets myself, having 3 developed chars on Siege if I ever "choose" to play that style again.

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh dear.

So wait, if I've got this correctly, someone took the non-informational bit of teaser that Calvin mentioned in his interview, and it's been spun into a "classic" (ha! get it?) Trammy/Feluccan flamewar?

*sighs*

I realize how seriously we all take our beloved game, but wayyy too much has been read into that comment. Way too much.

I'll tell you right now that none of us are insane, and we don't have any plans on forcing people to do anything against their will.

Except buying the expansion... yessss... you are getting sleeeeepppyyy.... buyyyyy the expansionnnnnnnnnn...

G

Gandie

Wow that sounds great! If its good news ill be back before you can say... PIE! :thumbsup:

T

Trebr Drab

Oh dear.

So wait, if I've got this correctly, someone took the non-informational bit of teaser that Calvin mentioned in his interview, and it's been spun into a "classic" (ha! get it?) Trammy/Feluccan flamewar?

*sighs*

I realize how seriously we all take our beloved game, but wayyy too much has been read into that comment. Way too much.

I'll tell you right now that none of us are insane, and we don't have any plans on forcing people to do anything against their will.

Except buying the expansion... yessss... you are getting sleeeeepppyyy.... buyyyyy the expansionnnnnnnnnn...
Draconi, it sounds like players will be forced to either play the PvPers game, or not play that content at all. And it sounds like that content is UO's version of "end game". So maybe an explanation is in order besides "don't panic, just buy".

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can we now stop running round like headless chickens panicking over a misunderstood bit of press hype?
You may call it press hype, but I take it as an inflammatory insult. Not impressed by being lumped into a category of "Wild Wild West that EVERYONE wants" category, nor being treated like a second class citizen, involuntary PK bait just because I don't PVP. Already behind the eight-ball of high end gear and pvm killing of high end mobs because faction equipment can be used on any facet! Will have to pay through the nose for the 120 Mysticism PS, if the PVP'ers are even inclined to sell to a "Trammie". Account of 145 months already paid the upgrade to 40% storage and 7 chars, will cost $30 for the new content and probably be free anyway in a couple of years. Now hearing UO is going to be twilight zoned to a haunted memory of it's past...unknown if with, or without PK checks and balances; and hacks/cheats/scripts deterred. I will not participate in non-voluntary PVP in its present form. Looks like a bleak future for this "Care Bear" customer. Will wait for more clarification from Cal regarding his comments on what defines WILD WILD WEST for now.

Oops, just saw Draconi's post after all this musing and typing. If I'm over-reacting, I'm sorry. By the way, I did love the snowball fights you had on test center. That's the only time I have ever enjoyed a pvp environment.

L

Lord Patapon

Maybe Mr. Crowner is just trying to lure back pvpr's so the sub numbers will look great for a month or so.

maybe... if not he is just silly to me. He can't read the history of UO?
I get your point, had the same feeling too.
If it's not for hooking (not sure it's the word im looking for) old players, this man just shot his own foot.
Might be wrong, though :p

@Enigma I get your point, mate !
I just wanted, as Petra did, highlight the fact that runes are going to be available very, very soon to ALL players, thus providing a way to escape the PvP path.
(Which is good; fighting someone who don't PvP or haven't for years is not fun to me, but then again, I'm no PK, I prefer being APK ;) )
The wording hides something, or suggest something in a "not very polite" manner, or at least, in a not very "tactful" manner.

On the other hand, I really wonder.
What COULD these guys do to bring "wild wild west" to UO again without going against the interest of Tram players ? (not talking about the maniac anti-Fell player, just the average Tram player who enjoys his game)
I don't really see anything "major" (heavily modifying the gameplay) that could be applied.

They're not going to get rid of insurance. They're not going to change Tram to a more Fell-ruleset. I don't really get it, I suppose. I hope Cal has a real good idea behind all this, because if it's just to get a hype without anything solid behind, that's a pretty bad false step in the stairway, imo.

Frankly, Enigma, I had lost faith in OSI and then EA at the time, and have for a long time until a year or two ago (Mythic ?), but seeing what this expansion brings, and the way it's set, I have the feeling EA-Mythic is not about to ruin it all; well, they can't screw as hard as ML (ML not being the worst expansion, but still :p), and the Devs we have actually are ... well, they're pretty good, I believe. Compared to the situations we had before... (Moving place twice, losing several old members, fusion with Mythic, etc)

My post was more centered around the almost systematic rash-like reaction we see here every single time the fell playing style is given a glimmer of hope from the Devs.
So, excuse me if my post struck your mind in an other way than I wanted, because I actually agree with you on the methods used by Cal !

Finally, I'd like to have just a last little point, Enigma: Im not really sure you can talk about a hate from the playerbase of the non-consensual PvP.
Very often, when you see a discussion about UO in other MMOG boards, it's not about the PvM. It's not about consensual PvP.
It's about a) crafting , b)free PvP. (oh, and c) the days before AoS)

In the end, Fell player or not, we all hope that the expansion will be what we pay for ... it's just that Fell players, who as you know have lost their golden age, always like to get a little something to compensate.
Hope they balance things out evenly; if not, let's hope they forget the idea.

edit: please forgive the crappy english

edit2: Argh, took too much time, but ...

Kelmo said:
Holy mountains out of molehills, Batman! (in my humble opinion)
Thanks for the laugh :')

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh dear.

*sighs*

Yes, I can see his trying to sell the expansion to the general public, & the new land area's you guys did is fantastic. What I think many did not appreciate is the term used being called a "Care Bear". That term being said by any PR spokes person is bad any way you look at it.
As far as the new stuff, ya all did a great job, it's nicely laid out & fun to explore. With all the things you added, I don't think there was one profession left out. In all honesty, a little overwhelming, but nice :D.

M

Mephistos

Oh dear.

*sighs*

You've got it somewhat correct. Cal mentioned bringing UO back to the times like it was originally (the Wild West), but he also called everyone not on Siege a "Carebear".

T

TheGrayGhost

Oh dear.

*sighs*

lol I think the concern can be broken up into a few parts

1) Carebear comment, believe it or not it is considered a derogatory term now days generally aimed at non-pvp'rs lol.

2) "Wild West that Everyone wants" this throws people for a loop because he's talking about how UO use to be and how to make it that again. So FFA PvP is the first thing that pops into everyones mind.

3) And lastly NGE......! SWG fans know this sting a bit to well. His comment about a possible game altering change (Wild West) to come after the expansion is something that dredges up a lot of animosity from MMO players now days and a large part of that is due to NGE lol. SWG pre-NGE was a Sandbox and something I know for a fact many UO players I knew played.

So take 1+2+3 = Anguish, a lot of concern and irrational fear. Wether it's warrented or not doesn't matter. Any publicist worth there salt would have knocked Calvin silly for saying any of that lol.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh dear.

*sighs*

Hum, I would not call this a Fel vs Tram thing in the Classic Way :)

I also would say that no one is saying anyone is insane. One might rather think this is a statement that the "WORDS" from the interview suggest to more than a few, that their Play Style is being threatened by NOT insane people but by people that do perceive them as being valid for anything other than their subscription money.

As for reading into comments made in public by an official capable (I am assuming he has authority to enact change) may be as you say having to much read into it. BUT consider that is the ONLY information the majority of people playing UO have, the written word, which always lacks the visual queues that give context to a statement.

Regardless of how anyone may take the above, I say thanks to Draconi for expressing his views on the .... issue.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now, let's remember the "Wild West". If he really does it like the original Felluca, I'm actually good with it. Let's have reds have stat loss. Lets have a bounty system. Let's not allow the easy "macroing off" of murder counts by a bank or wherever. Reds and grey's can be killed on site without any repercussions. Reds can't use banks in towns, just like the original UO intended.

It was this type of UO (the real "Wild West"), that was going down the tubes. Trammel saved it, and allowed people to enjoy this game on their own terms, not on someone elses....

I think Nature. real world nature, can be a good example of a predator/preys system working efficiently.

For a Predator to exist (a red in UO), there need to be many, but really many preys.

Otherwise, the system goes out of balance and messed up.

So, "if" such a Wild environment is wanted, there NEED TO BE a way to keep the number of Reds under check, STRICT CHECK.

This means, that having a Red must be hard, painfull and tough.

Be it stat loss, murder counts NOT MACROABLE OFF and other ways the ratio Red/Non reds must be one that disfavour the reds by far.

That is what Nature teaches us about a balanced out system.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Poor Cal and co. Community management must be more like politics than salesmanship - no matter what you say over the course of your day, the soundbite that makes the evening news is the one misspoken or most easily misunderstood as an inflammatory threat or promise :)

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh dear.

*sighs*

Hey, Draconi welcome to UHall, I gather you must be new here...
:p

Oh, really?
:dunce:

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh dear.

*sighs*

Yes, this helps. And I am sorry to see the lead Dev having to clean up PR messes if that is what it was.

But I am sorry to say that isn't quite enough yet. These kind of game decisions are generally not decided by one person but by committee. And we know now there is at least one voice, perhaps one of the more powerful ones, on that committee that doesn't seem all that concerned about disrupting the current balance between PvP and PvE playstyles.

If the 'wild west' is gonna be so great, then surely there can be no harm in providing information about what it might or might not include before the expansion release. It is in theory designed to sell more expansions, not chase away existing players.

He is the one that indicated you have a cat in the bag. So now that we know, its time to let it out.

R

RichDC

WOW!!!

Just WOW!!!

First of, Poops, you should just stop posting or find a different game! With the amount of negative posts i see from you you simply cannot be enjoying playing!!!

To everyone else complaining about "carebare" comment!

SERIOUSLY!?!

ARE YOU ****ING JOKING!!!

Its a word used by alot of freeshard players(who keep track of this kind of thing) who may see that Prick up there ears and download the client!!

Its not even Offensive!!

Everyone likes wild west, it depends what wild west you want! You telling me fighting mongbats is fun??? No you want a challenge...hence the wild west for trammies!

JESUS!

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Poor Cal and co. Community management must be more like politics than salesmanship - no matter what you say over the course of your day, the soundbite that makes the evening news is the one misspoken or most easily misunderstood as an inflammatory threat or promise :)
I know, right?

The area he referenced in his interview about "care bears" having to do PvP in the Abyss was referring to the two Champ Spawn areas in the Stygian Abyss.

It means if they want to gain *all* the rewards possible in the Abyss (and yet these are a small portion compared to the rest), they'll have to compete in a Felucca ruleset.

Honestly? The Abyss is dangerous enough before the Champ Spawns were added. We're adding in some creature AIs that aren't player-level intelligent, obviously, but will definitely scare the heck out of people.

As far as the whole "wild west" thing, that's the part that's been blown a bit out of context. It has nothing to do with a classic shard, or any large-scale changes to the current game mechanics. We're definitely not going to just turn off guard zones in Trammel and let the reds in, or anything like that.

And you *know* I like setting things on fire, but not that much :p

Anything we do do add more "wild west" elements to the game would be self-contained, and not affect the current ruleset mechanics.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh dear.

*sighs*

There is mention of UO becoming Wild WILD West and players, regardless of their preferred gaming style HAVING to go through PvP areas.

If that is not forcing than I am not sure what it is.

Therefore, I think a clarification of the words and views for the future of the game contained in the interview is needed. A clarification that does not allow misunderstanding.

I think also the "carebears" issue needs to be well explained because without one it may lead to ill thinking if it does not get well clarified.

If we misunderstood the interview please clarify what the words used really intended to mean.

Thank you.

G

Gandie

Okay now ive been reading abit of the thread. And you people are going crazy! Do you really think we will get a CLASSIC server? Or they will force everyone to PvP? NO. They ain't stupid (well i hope they aint). UO need all kind of players.

But as a PvPer myself - we can atleast hope for some very cool PvP content that don't force people into PvP, but maybe will lure few people into it, or attract old PvPers back into the game.

(EU, US, Asian based PvP servers would be cool too - but i dont have any hope for that)

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, this helps. And I am sorry to see the lead Dev having to clean up PR messes if that is what it was.

But I am sorry to say that isn't quite enough yet. These kind of game decisions are generally not decided by one person but by committee. And we know now there is at least one voice, perhaps one of the more powerful ones, on that committee that doesn't seem all that concerned about disrupting the current balance between PvP and PvE playstyles.

If the 'wild west' is gonna be so great, then surely there can be no harm in providing information about what it might or might not include before the expansion release. It is in theory designed to sell more expansions, not chase away existing players.

He is the one that indicated you have a cat in the bag. So now that we know, its time to let it out.

I feel alike and respectably second the plea.

B

bumblefutz

Here's the thing.

I have tens of thousands of kills in World of Warcraft. PVP is pretty much the only thing I do in that game. But if Stygian Abyss forces me to PVP, then there's no way I'm coming back.

Because UO PVP is garbage. It's trash. It's worthless. It's stupid hack-and-script infested crap that you couldn't pay me to play.

And frankly I'm tired of all these Siege and freeshard people acting like being into PVP makes them better than the carebears. News flash, enjoying the terrible PVP in a hundred-year old game isn't anything anyone cares about.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This means, that having a Red must be hard, painfull and tough.
It sounds like it would already be "hard, painfull and tough" for YOU to have a red, with them being banned from Tram and all... :p

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is mention of UO becoming Wild WILD West and players, regardless of their preferred gaming style HAVING to go through PvP areas.

If that is not forcing than I am not sure what it is.

Therefore, I think a clarification of the words and views for the future of the game contained in the interview is needed. A clarification that does not allow misunderstanding.
Cool! That's easy then. popps, you've been one of the more prolific posters, and I know you want to get nothing but the truth, so it can't be misrepresented anymore. Please feel free to spread the following answers far and wide!

Not forcing people to PvP: we added two new Champ Spawns to the game. They're in the Stygian Abyss. Players are not forced to walk through them to get anywhere, therefore, we're not forcing them to PvP. :)

If they want to get a few extra rewards, then yes, they'd need to visit them and run the risk of being raided by some reds. However, it's their choice, at that point, and I do not think you can call it "forcing" them to PvP against the history of Champ Spawns we've already got.

One of the original ideas we had was to have super high-end Imbuing ingredients only available on the new Champ Spawns. Now that would've effectively forced people to do the Champs, and we squashed that idea.

Future of the game: Why ruin a good thing? Answer: we won't. Anything we add that's more "wild west" in nature would be self-contained and not break the current way of playing the game that the majority enjoy.
We would be utter fools to do it any other way.

It would be like forcing players to use the Enhanced client to play the expansion, which we will not do. They can play with the 2D client as well.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly? The Abyss is dangerous enough before the Champ Spawns were added. We're adding in some creature AIs that aren't player-level intelligent, obviously, but will definitely scare the heck out of people.
For those of you wondering why people like PvP, there is your reason.

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Future of the game: Why ruin a good thing? Answer: we won't. Anything we add that's more "wild west" in nature would be self-contained and not break the current way of playing the game that the majority enjoy.
Fair enough. Two expansions back on the buy list.

And I think Cal owes you a lunch.. a really nice one. :D

M

Mayadevi

Looks like we can all calm now Folks.

And buy expansions :) :cheerleader:

Thanks Draconi !

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For those of you wondering why people like PvP, there is your reason.
Yep. Although, I've been having some good success with a fuzzy-controller model for NPCs...

Mwaha. MWAHA. MWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

*coughs*

Right then, back to delivering the expansion.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We have an HOC tonight, yes? :love:

Gonna be good times....
Oh hell yea. That's gonna be a good one. In the open channels not in the question-screened-cherry-picked one that is the HOC. Those things are barely a step above the friday list of things that don't matter.

Beer and popcorn time!
:pint::drama:

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's the thing.

I have tens of thousands of kills in World of Warcraft. PVP is pretty much the only thing I do in that game. But if Stygian Abyss forces me to PVP, then there's no way I'm coming back.

Because UO PVP is garbage. It's trash. It's worthless. It's stupid hack-and-script infested crap that you couldn't pay me to play.

And frankly I'm tired of all these Siege and freeshard people acting like being into PVP makes them better than the carebears. News flash, enjoying the terrible PVP in a hundred-year old game isn't anything anyone cares about.
UO PvP is soooo much better than WoW's it just isnt funny. WoW PvP is rock paper scissors. UO's faster, far more open and for more relient on player skill than 'class' or items (to an extent). WoW PvP is for (since its the word of the day) 'care bares.'

C

Connor_Graham

I find it rather ironic that the master of destruction is doing damage control....

S

Stupid Miner

Cool! That's easy then. popps, you've been one of the more prolific posters, and I know you want to get nothing but the truth, so it can't be misrepresented anymore. Please feel free to spread the following answers far and wide!

Not forcing people to PvP: We added two new Champ Spawns to the game. They're in the Stygian Abyss. Players are not forced to walK through them to get anywhere, therefore, we're not forcing them to PvP. :)

If they want to get a few extra rewards, then yes, they'd need to visit them and run the risk of being raided by some reds. However, it's their choice, at that point, and I do not think you can call it "forcing" them to PvP against the history of Champ Spawns we've already got.

One of the original ideas we had was to have super high-end Imbuing ingredients only available on the new Champ Spawns. Now that would've effectivelY forced people to do the Champs, and we squashed that idea.

It would be like forcing players to use the Enhanced client to play the expansion, which we will not do. They can play with the 2D client as well.
Ah! He's posting subliminal messages! Take this post seriously! The sky's falling! :D

R

RichDC

So this Calvin guy was basically just jerking everyone's chain to make the game sound more h4rdc0r3 than it is. Idiot.
He might have been stirring up attention among the hardcore PVPers who still keep track of this game???

People who tried Darkfall for example and are thinking of leaving would read that and jump back.

T

Trebr Drab

From the interview it is expressly stated that this is something next after SA. So the explanations about SA don't cover it.

I'm sorry Draconi, but I think many of us would like a better explanation. It's not so much of what you intend to do, it's how. And wouldn't it be better to get it out in the open anyways, instead of some huge surprise that many players might not like? Why have to go back and fix it if that's the case?

Here's the relevent quote from that interview, with important parts in bold:

UO was like the Wild West in its early days, everything seemed fairplay and you took your life in your hands when you left town; does that still exist in today's UO?

Calvin: That's something we're going to try to do in two pieces. We're going to have an announcement after this launch about another piece that will turn UO back into the Wild, Wild West that everyone wants. But before that, within the Stygian Abyss, there are areas that are Player vs. Player combat that, are, I'll just go ahead and say it, where the "Care Bears" have to travel. As you are going from one place to another, yeah it's all fine. But The Abyss is not a place you travel alone. I think that's what players have been missing a lot. Also, there are more challenges for the brain that aren't handholding exercises. You're going to have to go and find and do some discovery. I think a lot of things that the players say they want we've as a production team gone and said "We're going to give it to you our way and remind you of what Ultima Online was like."

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Not forcing people to PvP: we added two new Champ Spawns to the game. They're in the Stygian Abyss. Players are not forced to walk through them to get anywhere, therefore, we're not forcing them to PvP. :)

One of the original ideas we had was to have super high-end Imbuing ingredients only available on the new Champ Spawns. Now that would've effectively forced people to do the Champs, and we squashed that idea.

Alright, fair enough and thanks.

One last thing, though, care to say anything about any plans on dealing with the hacks, cheats, scripting in the game which made so many leave and not want to come back until they are dealt with and eradicated for good ?

Please, not the usual generic reassurances that for years and through various dev teams I heard but something more firm that shows that finally this is going to be a top priority and fight that you want to win (against them) in a reasonable time.

And thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.