• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Zoe Bartigar

Daenyra

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
96ee7c5cfde227ec9190ad740513ae05.jpg

The nerve of her, and Savage at that and elected Governor of Skara. "How dare her send me home from the trade deal with Yew, I mean I am who slaved to grow all that food, collect all that honey and get stung for my rewards, in more then one way" mumbled Zoe as she kicked rocks along the road back to the farm after the humiliation of the evening. The words the Governor had spoke to her, as Zoe was told " Just go home if you can not keep up...." while the Governor sat upon that, that ,...... that stupid Polar Bear. Just because I am poor now , one day I will be able to buy a horse and I'll show her a thing or two!" Cutting across the open field past all the elegant homes outside of Skara, Zoe tried to imagine what it would be like to live in such a grand place, " I bet they even have indoor plumbing" as she sighed heavily a single tear rolled down her face. Knowing that most of her life she had never even owned a pair of shoes until the trade deals started and the Governor had sent gold for her labor and that was a grand thing and an actual roof over her head she had appreciated this very much but to be humiliated in front of the good people of Yew and the DragonStone Clan was just not acceptable and by somebody whom she had felt should know her struggles. Deep down Zoe knew it was the green eyed monster, jealousy. Yes Zoe felt the envy of how Daenyra had been taken in by the former Governor and treated like her own, and how she had been pampered and spoiled by Lady Rain. All the while as Daenyra seemed to be a spoiled brat not much older then Zoe herself.

Approaching the end of the path spanning across the open field she could see the little log cabin on the hill. Smiling knowing the new trades with Yew would be fixing all the holes in the roof and giving them a bathroom, even if it had to be outside. the orchard outside the home had been enough for income to trade for meats and staples for the farm the last several years but now the trees were in their prime and harvest from them was abundant this year. Father had spent many a day digging the ground upon this hill to provide the cellar under the house to store the harvests from the farm. Now perhaps Mother would get an indoor kitchen. That is if he ever decided to come home from his walkabout. Zoe all to well knew the life as Daughter of a Ranger. Many nights spent alone with Mother, through it all Zoe's Mother had stayed strong and never had wept for him. Sometimes Zoe had wondered if her Mother had just given up loving him or if she was so callused she over looked his absence.

Zoe could see the apple tree by the corner of the house and her Mother there gathering the fallen fruit, her mother was quite the cook and had been able to make all the medicinal needs the family had needed since Zoe could remember. Her Mother had kept all the skills of these talents to herself, all the while encouraging Zoe to be more like her Father and learn to use a bow. As Zoe's , Mother had looked up from gathering the apples she waved to her daughter and smiled. Zoe had been adored by her Mother and even though had been encouraged to use a bow, tend a garden and feed the pigs, she had always found time to sew Zoe the most beautiful dresses from the cloth of flour sacks. and had always looked most lovely in the plain simple dresses she wore. Her Mother had learned to make dyes and have pretty colored cloth from the flour sacks. As Zoe made it to the apple tree she reached down to collect the basket of apples from the ground , Zoe's Mother putting an arm around Zoe shoulders they walked to the cabin, her Mother asking of all the adventures she had that day. All the jealousy of Daenyra had faded to nothing, in this very moment all she had felt for the Governor was sadness knowing the Girl, just a few years older then herself, had never had this. Zoe's older brother had left home several years earlier, her and her Mother had been left alone and had grown quite good at farming. Yet through all the struggles their mother had been there her entire life and had given them everything by simply raising them and teaching them of life. Reaching the steps to the cabin Zoe could smell dinner was simmering in the kettle by the steps over the open fire, it smelled most delicious. " Clean yourself up and knock all that dust from the caravan off yourself and get ready for dinner" her mother smiled as she sent Zoe off to clean up. Ladling the stew Into a pot to carry inside she knew one day she would have to tell Zoe about her Father and the rest of her Family, it was well long over due.

Sitting at the small table inside the cabin darkness was starting to set in and Zoe was very tired from her walk today, and a little bit glad she hadn't had to walk on foot all the way to Yew, so perhaps it wasn't so bad getting sent home. Looking across the table she saw the wear on her Mothers face . Her Mother was starting to show her age from the hard work of the farm. It was beginning to show in the wrinkles on her face. Yet she was still a beauty Zoe thought to herself. Dinner was so good and just as she was finishing her stew, Came the thumps at the front door. Zoe scooting her chair from the table knew her Mother hated hearing the late evening knocks at the door, probably always thinking something awful had happened to Father or her Brother. Zoe had grown used to answering the door after dark when the occasion arose. As Zoe opened the door , there standing at the steps was a messenger from the city, " I have a Letter for Mrs. Bartigar, is she here?" Nodding to the messenger Zoe took the letter " Yes that is my Mother, she is here. Thank you " as she turned to walk towards her Mother, she thought to herself, not often had we gotten mail and odd it would come so late, looking at the letter with no return address just simply addressed to her Mother as she read the words silently to herself " Valyria Bartigar" wondering what in the world could this be about....

(to be continued)

Last edited:

Daenyra

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Days had past and the letter was still a mystery, Mother had stayed to herself in her room much of the last few days and chores were entirely left for Me. The secrets Mother had kept to herself were starting to invade my mind and cause wonder of what they could be. I know during many full moons she seemed to disappear a day or two, and the disappearances had become more frequent the last serceral months and her preachings of the evils of Jhelom had become thickened with her lectures. Curiosity of her disapproval of Jhelom seemed to weigh on my mind all day......so once the pigs are fed and garden weeded I think I will disappear myself for the evening and take an adventure into the city of Jhelom to see for myself of the evils that dwell there. Brushing the strand of hair from my face and tromping through the muddied pig pen pig mud up to my knees I know the worst of the chores is complete. Latching the gate to the pen I can hear the gobble of Winston the farm Turkey wanting to flog me with his approach he seems to even back away from me, perhaps the mud all over me or the awful smell of the pigs but soon his retreat is all that's left of his presence. Looking down my dress front wondering how well this pig dung will wash out or if the smell will ever be gone from what had been my favorite dress. Heavy sigh my thoughts center on that new Dress that Mother had spent so much time making from the box of cloth sent from the samples of the cloth for payment to start the harvest trading with Skara but first a quick dart off to the nearest pond to wash this smell off my skin and wash my hair. Grabbing the box with the dress I had hidden away in the loft over the tool shed Id sneak off to wash the smell of the chores off and dress at the pond so as to not let it known I had a place to go.

Within the maze was many small water sources and not many travelers nowadays so enough privacy to bath and dress then cut through the woods to Skara to avoid being seen from the house. Finally with the smell and mud off myself I open the box that held the new dress Mother had made for me to wear for the lighthouse presentation in Skara but just this once and she will never know I have already worn it. Laying the lid to the box aside there was the new dress, much more elegant then I had ever worn and from fabric not coarse and scratchy from flour sacks but was so so soft to the touch of my finger tips as I lift it from the box and hold it by the shoulders of the dress before me, My eyes must have twinkled as I smiled looking at this lovely garment. Never had I owned such a pretty dress. With much excitement I quickly slip it over my head pulling in down and flattening the skirt over my hopes and knees. As I run my hands down the sides of the dress I can tell its fits every curve like a glove. Looking at myself in the reflection of the water its as if I am looking at somebody else. Not the poor little farm girl who has always looked back from those reflections. So this is it time to make way to the nearby road to Skara and use the Moongate to go see what Jhelom is all about. Walking the road to Skara the travelers on the road as they pass by on horseback seem to stare a me, blushing I am uncertain if its the new dress or if the smell of the pigs still lingers on me but even that wonder isn't enough to stop me from this destination this evening. So onward to Skara !

Stepping into the moongate to Jhelom was a new experience for me. Many times had gone the the capital but never many of the other destinations of the moongate. Walking around the city staring at all the sites, what a strange place most of the people seemed to briskly walk on past as if on a mission of some sort and so many fighters. The people seemed more gruff and harsh them those in Skara, as I stand there just staring at the sites I seemed to be spoken to , as if in a daze I turn to see whom spoke to me. There standing before a man asking if I wanted a job, no questions asked he says. Curiosity has always been my weakness and after very little thought of the matter I find myself following him to the docks. Much shouting from the docked ships the group the man had gathered for his job seemed too all be following him like lambs to a herder. Here is where the apprehension of my fear of boats hits me, the legs holding me upright seems to be woobling and my head seemed to be spinning. Not even a word from my mouth and everything seemed to be muted as I stand there in fear. The next words I can understand I can hear from the fella I had followed to the docks "Run along" as the man waves from the ship starting to move from the docks. "Seriously I am once again sent on my way home?" with a heavy exhale and a huff I stomp off annoyed with this city perhaps even more then I had been days before sent home from the trade deals.

Walking the road back towards the farm I can see how big and bright the moon looked as it smiled down upon me, only a few more nights and it would be full. I wonder if Mother will disappear during hat time and if so this time I would plot my move to follow her and just find out what it was she seemed to go do during the full moons. Reaching the cabin I know she has probably locked the door and I for sure am not going to wake her. The small loft over the tool shed my brother had stayed in before his departure from the farm still had the bed he slept in and would be my bed for he night. Sneaking off was a trick I had learned from his adventures before he left. Now I see why he had insisted on moving into the loft. When I was smaller this is where I hid when Mother was in a rage with Father or when she would scold my brother for wanting to practice magic, climbing the ladder I didn't even bother to light a candle I knew my way around the tiny room with a blindfold, Plopping onto the bed and closing my eyes my thoughts were on me, will I ever be needed for anything in this world.......so exhausted it all becomes a blur as I drift off to sleep.

(to be continued)