• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Your thoughts . . . .

Lady Laurel

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO ToL.PNG
Okay, so I have watched the Dev Diary Video [original post here], and I can read all the comments on UHall, but I would like to know the thoughts of my friends on Chessie.

I am excited to hear about many of the things, but I am trying not to be too optimistic. I will admit that I am VERY nervous about them doing anything to the account management. I know it needs to be done, but it could be messed up even more.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I'm cautious (always) regarding getting my hopes up over anything new.

I'm glad to hear they intend to make it easier to mange our accounts (although the target date of the month of May makes me VERY nervous since that's when my credit card renews and I'll have to change some info.) I'm glad they intend to implement a call-back service, athough I'm disappointed to know you will still have to jump through email hoops first before you can graduate to phone calls.

Upgrading graphics while keeping the "classic" look of UO sounds like a winner. Thumbs-up, too, for more choices in house customization. I'm extremely interested in finding out what they are going to do to improve and expand "character customization" (and I sincerely hope those visual changes aren't going to be reserved for just the enhanced client).

The Time of Legends Expansion sounds like it will be good for adventurers.

I'm not exactly thrilled with the currency changes. I'll just take a wait-and-see attitude for now. Maybe I'll like it. Maybe I won't.

Now.... let us all pray... :cool:

WhatNowAnotherNerf

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Wow.. I am concerned that this will create opportunities for the nefarious types. On the brighter side perhaps they can provide a more secure environment to protect our virtual assets.... I am hoping for the best and prepared for the worst... but a better targeting system for classic client would be tremendous!!!
Good luck to all and Kisses to Ozog....

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
It sounds cool, hopefully it will be.

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
New stuff is always nice and I can't say I'm not happy to hear about this. Still - I hope the wearables are more than just changes to the paperdoll and actually extend to the avatar - after all - we still don't have unique graphics for the fur cape, fur boots, gilded robe, and flower garland. The Third Dawn client did. On top of that there is no high resolution update - it got cancelled. Most virtues aren't used much anyway so is finishing them any real big deal? I could go on.

And I'd sound negative - ick.

I hope this is a good expansion. Several things have demoralized me in UO of late. Hopefully this will be a bright spot.

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I was young, flip-flops were called "thongs". That's why I got laughed at one day at work when someone mentioned thongs and I replied, "I never wear them. They hurt my feet."
That's a classic...

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I liked the idea of a dragon breeding system floated some time ago. I think it would be great if you could have raised different kinds of dragons with different strengths and weaknesses through crossbreeding white wyrms, land wyrms, fire dragons, air dragons, etc.

Could have even created a market for certain baby wyrmlings or whatever to breed with other dragons.

Lady Laurel

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I liked the idea of a dragon breeding system floated some time ago. I think it would be great if you could have raised different kinds of dragons with different strengths and weaknesses through crossbreeding white wyrms, land wyrms, fire dragons, air dragons, etc.

Could have even created a market for certain baby wyrmlings or whatever to breed with other dragons.
That would be awesome!

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
that would be pretty cool. A few other places I have played have had custom taming systems and one of them was similar to this idea. You raised a baby dragon from an egg all way to an ancient wyrm. Different circumstances but the idea is awesome.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
The ideas seem ok to me, though I just hope the land expansion doesn't just make another Ilsh or Heartwood to sit and be empty. I really wish they'd come back and revisit existing land, adding to it to make it actually interesting - Malas, etc. My fear is that this really translates to:
1 guy made some new maps, let's use em
1 guy made some new item and mob art, let's use it
1 guy made some new mob AI code and spawn dynamics code, let's use those too

I at least hope that it's a roll-up expansion, for the first time in forever, to let folks upgrade accounts to just include all previous expansions; between SA, HS, rural, gothic, ToL, etc, it'd gets to be $100 per account for anyone returning, otherwise...

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
or lost lands
The lost lands have been lost for some time...

I don't think adding new land masses is the best move, already too much space and not enough people. Improve what we have. I took a walk through Deceit yesterday from top to bottom and relived memories of the bone wall, and running from lichs when they opened doors. It was literally a graveyard now, fitting for the place of the dead.

Lady Laurel

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just hope the land expansion doesn't just make another Ilsh or Heartwood to sit and be empty.
I completely agree with you on this!

I at least hope that it's a roll-up expansion, for the first time in forever, to let folks upgrade accounts to just include all previous expansions; between SA, HS, rural, gothic, ToL, etc, it'd gets to be $100 per account for anyone returning, otherwise...
This would be awesome. I have a couple of accounts that I do not play often, so I could not justify the cost to upgrade.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm so disheartened lately. I always lean cynical, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to have much faith in the dev team given recent changes, decisions, and events. A full expansion is a pretty massive undertaking for such a small team, and this one in particular has been dishing out a lot of disappointment lately.

The only way I think a new landmass is a good idea would be if it was a SINGLE central landmass accessible from all shards. (Except Siege and Mugen of course; they would have to have their own.) Any character could go to the central zone, but could only go back to their original shard from there. They are introducing two new landmasses: one could be an improved new player zone (think a much better done New Haven) that could also be used for trading and one could be a central PvP zone.

But that's never going to happen.

Improvements to the account management and gold systems are way overdue... and honestly maybe too late since so much damage has been done to the game by neglecting these two things for so long. New clothing and more housing options are nice. I'll be interested to see what they come up with, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I think the best thing they could do at this point is hire a proper PR/community person.

Last edited:

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I was hoping for a taming fix, I feel like tamers were a huge part of why this game was so popular and they have ignored it for years.

New content is always fun
Yeah, but be careful what you wish for! The last time they seriously tweaked taming was what, Publish 16? The one where everyone EXCEPT tamers got the shaft? Might be our turn...

They've been hinting at a taming revamp for over a year now. Come to find out at a recent dev meet and greet that it's not even in development, still just in concept. Another reason I'm not getting my hopes up over this expansion announcement.

*goes off to grump alone in a corner*

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Yeah, but be careful what you wish for! The last time they seriously tweaked taming was what, Publish 16? The one where everyone EXCEPT tamers got the shaft? Might be our turn...

They've been hinting at a taming revamp for over a year now. Come to find out at a recent dev meet and greet that it's not even in development, still just in concept. Another reason I'm not getting my hopes up over this expansion announcement.

*goes off to grump alone in a corner*
MEEES NO TINKIN NO MORES

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The other thing I think the game desperately needs more than anything (and the EC) is some actual polish. A lot of the fundamental stuff has been neglected since forever. A lot of them are little and unimportant sounding things but they really add up after all these years. Weather effects for example have never worked properly - in the CC it's just confetti and in the EC it's just lines. It has no sound effects or sensible triggers to go with it. I remember asking about weather and environmental effects years ago when the KR client came out and we were promised "GREAT THINGS" that never materialised.

And speaking of sound - sound effects in general. Some things just don't have any at all. Others are just reused for things and some of them have always been a bit awful and need redoing. The sea/waves sound effect is an afterthought that you only find in a few places and has a jarring on/off trigger rather than any fade. The music suffers from similar trigger issues - it's one reason why I just have it turned off.

In the EC animations and particle effects are missing - especially for a lot of the spells and abilities. Necromancy sticks out as one - in the third dawn client it had pretty great spell effects. In the EC most of the spells don't have any effects at all anymore. The only cue you have that wither is going off for example, is the sound it makes.

There are hueing issues, books don't work properly in the EC, creatures look wildly different between clients (they didn't with the old third dawn client), missing wearable graphics (that I mentioned above), broken/out of place or missing land tiles making the environment look a mess in places. The high resolution art update for the EC has been ditched. The CC still has a postage-stamp playing windows on modern computers and UO:A functionality has never been incorporated into it (I find it ridiculous that you have to pay a third party for client functionality that should been in in the client 15 years ago but that's a rant for another day). Monster AI just isn't a thing that exists so they just stack HP on things and give them stupid abilities like the teleport-to-monster thing to compensate. I could go on. =P

Don't get me wrong - I love new stuff, I've no objection to it and I'll likely enjoy it quite a lot but at times it feels like they're just putting a shiney new door on a derelict house.

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm probably weird (ok lose the probably) but I loved the Third dawn client. I still think its the best one they had. I tried to like the EC, I really did. never quite made it tho. The functionality was nice but nothing else was IMO

Bring back 3d I might return to UO! lol no probably not, but I still like rping (in my own twisted way) on this forum

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really liked the Third Dawn client too and used it exclusively - mainly because Third Dawn was when I started playing UO. But I also remember UOHall when the client was retired. A lot of people were cheering about it's demise and telling those who weren't happy about the situation not let the door hit them on the way out. The UO community really showed it's ugly side that day.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I was thinking similarly last night Ashlynn. More and more items seem to have minor animations, and the client simply doesn't handle these well. I'd love to see them simply work on the memory and resource management of the classic client. It's embaressing how badly it handles it. It theoretically should be caching the info for 100 houses, with that number configurable in the config files. In reality, I find it's not caching much of anything, and I need only step 12 steps away from any of my houses before it needs to be reloaded. Once loaded, and I'm in the house (or friends' decorated keeps and castles, etc), it can bog down so badly. I know my rubble house pushes the limits of what the client can do, layout-wise... but there's no reason the client shouldn't be able to handle it memory and rendering-wise...