• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Your 4 top pets (Most Used)

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No you can't train them without the taming requirement rising every step of the way.
@Tyrath

Thanks.

And what would the "minimal" Taming skills needed to have a Blue Bleetle be trained up only enough to be able deal with whatever Spawn a Miner could bump into (Elementals, mostly...) and Treasure Hunters doing Stash and Supply, perhaps Cache Treasure Maps ?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@popps I took a fresh tamed beetle long time ago and just trained it up to 100 skills and of course that raised it's stamina and all up as well just like you would have done back before training without clicking the training button... and gave it to my fisherman. His beetle regularly kills sea serpents and deep sea serpents without any issues. Now I doubt it will handle all elementals as shadow elementals are immune to pets and valorite ones have reflect... but my fisherman with 120 magery is able to keep that beetle alive just with greater heals without any issues at all.

No pet will help you kill a shadow elemental anyway so I think you are looking in the wrong direction there.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@popps I took a fresh tamed beetle long time ago and just trained it up to 100 skills and of course that raised it's stamina and all up as well just like you would have done back before training without clicking the training button... and gave it to my fisherman. His beetle regularly kills sea serpents and deep sea serpents without any issues. Now I doubt it will handle all elementals as shadow elementals are immune to pets and valorite ones have reflect... but my fisherman with 120 magery is able to keep that beetle alive just with greater heals without any issues at all.

No pet will help you kill a shadow elemental anyway so I think you are looking in the wrong direction there.

Thanks for the heads up....

Do you think that such a Blue Beetle with minimal training not requiring any Taming skills would do well also with the spawn which comes with Stash and Supply Treasure Maps ?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Do you think that such a Blue Beetle with minimal training not requiring any Taming skills would do well also with the spawn which comes with Stash and Supply Treasure Maps ?
Why dont you tame a beetle and try? If it dies it cant so you did not need it. Your T hunter cant kill Headless and Mongbats. I think you should start there.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Why don't you test this yourself?

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Unleveled bettle against an ogre lord, hmm such fight wouldnt last long. Nor a lich might survive a gazer but not sure.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well, you have to wonder sometimes what some people want? It's like what next do you want me to play the game for you? I experiment on my own... I sometimes take advice from the forums or see what others are trying and I then look at my own playstyle and decide if that's for me or not... some players just need to learn to experiment on their own more.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, you have to wonder sometimes what some people want? It's like what next do you want me to play the game for you? I experiment on my own... I sometimes take advice from the forums or see what others are trying and I then look at my own playstyle and decide if that's for me or not... some players just need to learn to experiment on their own more.
As it should be :)

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sadly when they nerfed the tritons they made them pretty much a novelty pet :(

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sadly when they nerfed the tritons they made them pretty much a novelty pet :(
They gave us a chance to get one like the first ones. Over 200 str. and over 126 wrestling will make anything. The players on LS have learned. All but a first timer brought Trained Tritons last night. Try an over 100 chiv Triton on Scalis. You can help the rest with player heals and cast spells. GoR keeps mine alive.

Tritons damage will match Krampus 2 highest resists. But I will try them to keep with the Highs Seas theme.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Took my Corgul Killing Triton to Corgul with a group.

upload_2019-9-28_17-13-59.png upload_2019-9-28_17-14-32.png

3 Cus 1 Naj, My Triton, 2 EV Mages.

Took 30 mins from calling in chat and getting back to land. Tillerman driving rocks.

My 4 favorite pets are mine and the 4 other pets in the group.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm curious, what nerf?
Tritons started on TC with more Str and HP and 100 wrest. Some of them would have spare points with all categories at max. Then the Triton II rolled out with less str and up to 130 wrest.Whats done is done.
I helped a NOOB yesterday with one. Over 127 wrest and 220 str. Will make a beefy beast when done.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Thank you Pawain
It was something that happened before I got my triton’s. I’m happy with the builds I have done so far. Nerf? Doesn’t feel like that to me

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Tritons started on TC with more Str and HP and 100 wrest. Some of them would have spare points with all categories at max. Then the Triton II rolled out with less str and up to 130 wrest.Whats done is done.
I helped a NOOB yesterday with one. Over 127 wrest and 220 str. Will make a beefy beast when done.
One of your favorite pets is your Triton with Chiv/AI and PB for Scalis then? Or you use Cu with Chiv/AI for the high cold/energy resists of the Cu?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One of your favorite pets is your Triton with Chiv/AI and PB for Scalis then? Or you use Cu with Chiv/AI for the high cold/energy resists of the Cu?
Scalis can be poisoned. So the PB one works. Triton has 80 phy, 53 cold, 89 energy resists. so the 30% cold damage Scalis does is not a factor. A Cu with high energy and cold resist will die if you don't aggressively heal. On paper the Cu would be better but the Triton works better in real UO. You have to try pets before you know what they can do.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Scalis can be poisoned. So the PB one works. Triton has 80 phy, 53 cold, 89 energy resists. so the 30% cold damage Scalis does is not a factor. A Cu with high energy and cold resist will die if you don't aggressively heal. On paper the Cu would be better but the Triton works better in real UO. You have to try pets before you know what they can do.
Nice info! Thanks!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On paper the Cu would be better but the Triton works better in real UO. You have to try pets before you know what they can do.
I am finding this to be true of the Triton in many encounters. I have only trained up and scrolled out two and have not spend a lot of game time using them as I work on doing the new content on multiple shards and what I have on my shards already trained up and scrolled are my Hiryus, beetles, Unicorns and reptalons. So I am far from a exspurt in Tritons beyond having way too many Triton Statues now :)

What I can say they are a top shelf addition to my Garg Tamers stables, where a pet being non mountable is a total non issue :) I have not found much the Tritons can't do either solo or in a group. That being said for my elf and human tamers Tritons would not be my first choice of pet of course a CU is not my first choice of pet in most circumstances either :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Nope I like my Unicorns... they are probably my favorite pet of choice... but I don't mind Tritons... especially like Tyrath said they are great for my gargoyle tamer.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope I like my Unicorns... they are probably my favorite pet of choice... but I don't mind Tritons... especially like Tyrath said they are great for my gargoyle tamer.
LOL I love Unicorns, they are the only reason I do a gender bender and have so many female tamers :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Unicorns are an awesome pet... combine that with a mystic/mage tamer and you can both be 100% immune to poison... it's awesome.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unicorns are an awesome pet... combine that with a mystic/mage tamer and you can both be 100% immune to poison... it's awesome.
Sitting here drinking coffee and thinking about how things were before the pet revamp. Pretty much the only pets you ever saw people using were GDs, Dragon Turtle Hatchlings and a mare rune beetle combo. A pair of unicorns were ok but very limited as were pretty much all pets. The pet revamp opened up so many possibilities even with the various fixes and nerfs. Unicorns are now a top shelf pet with a couple of builds and that innate poison immunity gives them a real edge in some encounters. I know you had high hopes for spiders and they kind of fell flat in the revamp. LOL my high hope was Mongbats would be 5 slot pets and have necro open to them and that fell flat. But still I could have never taken my Greater Mongbat to Navrey before and the little guy not only survive but actually get looting rights.

Guess I think that sometimes we get so caught up in the numbers and the best build for the most DPS that we forget some pets are just fun to pull out and go hunting with even if they are not the best pet or deliver the most DPS. LOL I had Goober (The Greater Mongbat) out on the boat last night and he was whacking a dread pirate. And I was on my Character named A Mongbat. Another player sailed by....... then stopped and came back. He said "Seriously you are killing pirates with a Mongbat!" Hey I was having fun and well a fully trained and 110 scrolled mongbat with a garg thrower tamer helping it goes fairly quick. Not as fast as using one of the big power pets but IT WAS FUN and DIFFERENT. Same as when I take Rudy the Llama out hunting.

If you think about it these off the wall pets like Goober, Rudy, Pigs, bulls lol greater chickens once trained are as or more powerful than pre revamp Nightmares. You can have a lot of fun and break the boredom of building one Chiv/AI pet after another. That btw is not directed at you MalagAste or anyone in particular. JUst a general statement that sometimes less might = less in damage and power but = far more in interesting and entertainment value.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sitting here drinking coffee and thinking about how things were before the pet revamp. Pretty much the only pets you ever saw people using were GDs, Dragon Turtle Hatchlings and a mare rune beetle combo. A pair of unicorns were ok but very limited as were pretty much all pets. The pet revamp opened up so many possibilities even with the various fixes and nerfs. Unicorns are now a top shelf pet with a couple of builds and that innate poison immunity gives them a real edge in some encounters. I know you had high hopes for spiders and they kind of fell flat in the revamp. LOL my high hope was Mongbats would be 5 slot pets and have necro open to them and that fell flat. But still I could have never taken my Greater Mongbat to Navrey before and the little guy not only survive but actually get looting rights.

Guess I think that sometimes we get so caught up in the numbers and the best build for the most DPS that we forget some pets are just fun to pull out and go hunting with even if they are not the best pet or deliver the most DPS. LOL I had Goober (The Greater Mongbat) out on the boat last night and he was whacking a dread pirate. And I was on my Character named A Mongbat. Another player sailed by....... then stopped and came back. He said "Seriously you are killing pirates with a Mongbat!" Hey I was having fun and well a fully trained and 110 scrolled mongbat with a garg thrower tamer helping it goes fairly quick. Not as fast as using one of the big power pets but IT WAS FUN and DIFFERENT. Same as when I take Rudy the Llama out hunting.

If you think about it these off the wall pets like Goober, Rudy, Pigs, bulls lol greater chickens once trained are as or more powerful than pre revamp Nightmares. You can have a lot of fun and break the boredom of building one Chiv/AI pet after another. That btw is not directed at you MalagAste or anyone in particular. JUst a general statement that sometimes less might = less in damage and power but = far more in interesting and entertainment value.
I had high hopes for the Dread Spiders and was hoping to get a lovely black widow but for some reason, we can't tame the Black Widows and the Dreads are 3 slots instead of 2 which they ought to be a 2 slot pet IMO as they just can't make the cut as a 3 slot to be of much use at all... I wish they would do a revisit of these things sometime soon. If a spider were to qualify as a 3 slot that might be the Sentinal Spider from down by Navrey but you can't tame that one either... I'd love to tame one of those pretty white ones from near Dreadhorn too... I forget what they are... that would certainly maybe qualify as a 3 slot... such a pretty spider. But I thought that was just me. Sadly the spiders got the short end of the stick there... even the wolf spider isn't capable of much... just not enough you can do with them to make them decent. For a short while the Dread had a lot of promise... now not so much.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had high hopes for the Dread Spiders and was hoping to get a lovely black widow but for some reason, we can't tame the Black Widows and the Dreads are 3 slots instead of 2 which they ought to be a 2 slot pet IMO as they just can't make the cut as a 3 slot to be of much use at all... I wish they would do a revisit of these things sometime soon. If a spider were to qualify as a 3 slot that might be the Sentinal Spider from down by Navrey but you can't tame that one either... I'd love to tame one of those pretty white ones from near Dreadhorn too... I forget what they are... that would certainly maybe qualify as a 3 slot... such a pretty spider. But I thought that was just me. Sadly the spiders got the short end of the stick there... even the wolf spider isn't capable of much... just not enough you can do with them to make them decent. For a short while the Dread had a lot of promise... now not so much.
Always seemed to be dreads should have started at 1 or 2 slot. I am not going to complain about the lesser hiryus starting at 1 slot and the absolute beast you can turn them in to. But using them as a comparison to Dread Spiders and how they turn out in the end...... The Dread Spider should be just as powerful as a lesser Hiryu when finished.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Always seemed to be dreads should have started at 1 or 2 slot. I am not going to complain about the lesser hiryus starting at 1 slot and the absolute beast you can turn them in to. But using them as a comparison to Dread Spiders and how they turn out in the end...... The Dread Spider should be just as powerful as a lesser Hiryu when finished.
Would have been great if they started at 2 slot 1 slot would be a dream come true... but yeah starting at 3 slots they suck sadly...

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would have been great if they started at 2 slot 1 slot would be a dream come true... but yeah starting at 3 slots they suck sadly...
As is they are total glass cannons that can deal a good amount of damage and then die fast. I would like to think they will revisit some of the pets in the future, dread spiders, MONGBATS!, Rideable Ossien Rams, Grizzled Mares being able to go 5 slot. Totally agree with Garth on the Griz Mares as hard as they are to obtain 5 slots is totally reasonable. Worked more hours than I care to think about since they came into the game and have managed to get 3 of them. Mongbats are my personal fetish and I think they should be 4 slots with a natural necro.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I would like to think they will revisit some of the pets in the future, dread spiders, MONGBATS!, Rideable Ossien Rams, Grizzled Mares being able to go 5 slot. Totally agree with Garth on the Griz Mares as hard as they are to obtain 5 slots is totally reasonable. .
It seems to me they have an issue or some concern (real or imaginative) with adding more rideable tameables that go to five slot. They have had several opportunities since publish 97, tigers, ossiens, all vanity pets etc and decided against going that route.

How many tamers would buy the various vanity mounts if they were trainable to five? (Damage types aside). It’s hard to build an argument for when you don’t know their motivations against.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It seems to me they have an issue or some concern (real or imaginative) with adding more rideable tameables that go to five slot. They have had several opportunities since publish 97, tigers, ossiens, all vanity pets etc and decided against going that route.

How many tamers would buy the various vanity mounts if they were trainable to five? (Damage types aside). It’s hard to build an argument for when you don’t know their motivations against.
The limitations on the vanity mounts is exactly why I won't buy them :) I am guessing that is why many folks won't buy them for anything other than bank sitting.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The poor stunted Shadow Wyrm... such a beauty in the dungeon but as a pet it's fairly worthless and neutered... I feel bad for taming it.
Would be awsome pets if we could fix them just a little.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It’s hard to build an argument for when you don’t know their motivations against.
Ignoring damages and abilities we have mounts that can be built on the bulky side. Lesser Hiryu, Reptalons, The 2 Beetles.

The original plan for the Pet Revamp included Saddles and Saddle Bags, but they ran out of time they said.

Maybe they think it will slow the Store Mount sales. We don't even know if those sales go into UOs coffers at all. So does UO care.

Krampus is returning, we should band together and ask for a new mount to spawn instead of the Drakes.
That could be a HUGE hit! They recycle and event we should get a new mount.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Would be awsome pets if we could fix them just a little.
Well for starters there is NO reason why a necro pet can't at the very least raise the dead... Those dead are NOT controllable and if a person was a necro it could do it... all other necro's can .... If it could at least do that... it would be a start.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ignoring damages and abilities we have mounts that can be built on the bulky side. Lesser Hiryu, Reptalons, The 2 Beetles.

The original plan for the Pet Revamp included Saddles and Saddle Bags, but they ran out of time they said.

Maybe they think it will slow the Store Mount sales. We don't even know if those sales go into UOs coffers at all. So does UO care.

Krampus is returning, we should band together and ask for a new mount to spawn instead of the Drakes.
That could be a HUGE hit! They recycle and event we should get a new mount.
Yes it would be! Make it easy on them even by just doing the exact same build as a spawning 2 slot Fire Steed, but be 80 cold damage/20 physical in stead of
80 fire damage/20 physical as the Fire Steed.

Call it a Cold Steed even and have a different color of the Fire Steed with a more cold theme.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well for starters there is NO reason why a necro pet can't at the very least raise the dead... Those dead are NOT controllable and if a person was a necro it could do it... all other necro's can .... If it could at least do that... it would be a start.
Yeah I am not buying the excuses given the number of critters that animate dead and more than a few that will drop a rev on you. While revs take control slots they can't be controlled.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Given that they can't do most of their spells they do in the "wild" it severely cripples them as a pet... making me say either make them 3 and 4 slots so they can be "uncrippled" or give them some of their skills back... Otherwise, there is no point in taming them as IMO it's like keeping an animal crippled and suffering... when you should really just put the darn thing down because it's only sad and pathetic to watch it suffer.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

A "plain" trained Beetle? It wouldn't be worth it, IMO. They don't have the resists or HP to be useful. But add some resists and an ability like Rune Corruption (I will not go ANYWHERE without a Beetle/Fire Beetle, since they all have it) and they're extremely useful. I have one Fire Beetle with Frenzied Whirlwind (was designed for Shadowguard mobs post-fix), one with Poisoning/Explosive and a Blue Beetle with Poisoning/Bleed.

ultima2005

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I generally run a pure bard with either the Provo or Peace spells. I cycle between these four main pets.

Pure damage: Chiv/AI LH.

All purpose: Mystic/AI Cu and Mage/AI Pre-Patch nightmare.

Spawn: Goo/FWW Cu

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I generally run a pure bard with either the Provo or Peace spells. I cycle between these four main pets.

Pure damage: Chiv/AI LH.

All purpose: Mystic/AI Cu and Mage/AI Pre-Patch nightmare.

Spawn: Goo/FWW Cu
For spawn, do you switch to another pet when the boss shows up?

Amamos

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
That is exactly why I put Goo on my Bushi Hiryus and Lessers :) Along with a 120 Bushi and Parry scroll. The Parry bonus with Bushi goes a long way in the damage reduction department and the whirl winds they are aggro into is pretty hard on mid to low end mobs. Where a Chiv/AI pet would get shredded and you really would not want mixed mobs aggro on the pet, AOE is not generally a great idea.
Can we add goo to lesser hiryus?

Yeah, one of my guildies has a 3 slot Triton with Disco+CB, and he has a 2 slot Fire Beetle with Rune Corruption. Pretty disgusting damage he puts out with Death Ray. He substituted Med for Necro/SS, and is able to leech back enough Mana to sustain Death Ray indefinitely against most foes.
I first thought about using as one to keep them alive, but then it's for death ray mastery. Any tips keeping those low slots pets alive while they tank for the death raw?

Thanks!