• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

You can smell them

Roberto

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I was wandering as I often do. When one wakes up on one's horse, in the middle of nowhere, that's what you do. My head was pounding a clear indication that the clanking empty bottles in my horses packs were recently full. After some time I heard a lute in the distance. Voices in Romano and the smell of some heavily spiced cooking. The way was indirect and many trees and brush seemed to jump in my way, a warning I ignored. Finally I drew within sight of the Gypsy camp.
A hello in common, names passed back and forth, and I found myself in familiar company. These gypsies wandered around near the various shrines. Old Mandello was their leader and we had crossed paths many times. I passed them some gold they passed me some wine and stew. We sat and talked pleasantly. Mandello kept looking to the east and sniffing the air. I asked what was it? He turned to me and said "You can smell them before you see them". With that a look of alarm came over his face. Urgent words in a language I did not understand set an alarm. Moments later the Gypsy wagons were headed west and I was alone in the glade.
I was rather dumbfounded as I watched them leave. It was then that my poor city nose caught what the Gypsies had well before. A pungent smell, ripe with suffering and brimstone. I realized where I was, as golden wings reached above the trees and wafted the horrid smell at me in waves. GrimmOmen was back I knew that snagged mess of pointy teeth anywhere. He looked larger and more powerful than ever. The golden sheen that covered him reeked of power and evil.
The deamon looked at me directly. I did not feel up to this. I swung up on my horse. In a giant leap aided by his wings he landed directly in front of me. He was close enough that when he gave a primal scream he covered me in spit and bile. I remember the only word that crossed my lips 'Merde'. I drew my kryss and swung my shield forward with resignation. It was going to be a long day. And I thought on the Gypsies words. "You can smell them before you see them" - Roberto of Dragon Stone