• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

You "2D People" are holding UO back

WildWobble

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
HERE HERE!!!!

Down with 2d

Eliminate It its old and very ugly full of scriptin and bad cpu resource useage.

actually i like 2d but i would like the game to be a bit more like ultima 8/9 over the 6/7 look. and i want to JUMP ok so i want a fully done up good 3d game with nice things!

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Instead of reinventing the wheel they should have upgraded 2D instead of replace it. Make a new client with higher resolution graphics, then everyone is happy (which Eve Online is doing highly successfully). Make a new client with new interface with poor graphics, no one is happy.

Do you know what is going to happen when World of Warcraft upgrades their client? They are not going to redraw the entire games with a new look. They have all the models and art saved at the highest resolution possible. It was downgraded and put in the client. When a new client is built they will just choose a higher polygon count for better graphics.

Kingdom Reborn went bad because someone decided to remake the look of UO. That is all there is to it.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My eye hurts when I play 2D.

Can you proscribe me some Vicodin for the pain?

Thanks.
No, if I write out too many of those for other people the pharmacy will catch on to my scheme and might stop filling my prescription for it. That's just not a risk I'm willing to take.

Hemisphere

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, if I write out too many of those for other people the pharmacy will catch on to my scheme and might stop filling my prescription for it. That's just not a risk I'm willing to take.
Ah.. so that's the trick for enjoying the KR client! :D

F

Farscape

Fear? God no. It's the fact that all of the 3d engines provided for UO to date have absolutely sucked...la
I think its a generational thing the current crop of players have all been brought up with silver spoons in their mouths cash in the pocket never go without not like me
I am happy to drive around in my 1958 car it is my era but the young ones of today drive around in there year 2000+ cars reving them next to mine showing off their wheels all the time they look flash go fast cost heaps to maintain and draw the ladies
Now mine draws the enthusiast admiration from older people because it brings back memories
So like UO if I gut it put a super duper v8 under the bonnet flash wheels and paint job then the younger ones drule!
But in reality its still a 1958 car as with Uo its still a 1998 game let it move on with dignity:love:

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Donjn I agree with your sentiments about holding the game back and that UOKR is by far a superior client. Some people just don't like change and that is there perogative. No amount of talking to these true believers will ever change their mind.

I played UOKR for a month and then logged onto 2D to move some items in my house. After seeing the difference between the 2 clients there was no going back to 2D..ever again.

Hopefully the time the Dev's spend keeping the 2D client up to date with the new additions isn't too much.:)

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

However, all of this is irrelevant and I don't feel like I need to explain my actions to you.
Yet you have anyway. Heres some more ground breaking news, I didn't particularly feel like explaining my post to you but you felt the need to ask about it.

Windows Update is not broken. SP3 may have caused many issues WHEN IT WAS NEW, because it was NEW! Every piece of software that is released has problems initially. Windows 98, ME, 2000, Every single video game ever released (Thats why there are patches), you name it. It all ships with problems. Its impossible to guarentee 100% compatibility across all platforms when EVERY computer is different hardware.
When does windows update offer the update? When it's new or when its fixed? From past experience I'd say when its new, it comes with no message saying 'you may want to wait a few days'.

Please stop arguing this point to me.
I made a post, you argued with it.

And also GOD, why wouldn't I argue with everything you say? You're name is Lord GOD and mine is 4th3ist.
The point wasn't the arguing, I don't care if you do or not. The point was you're calling me a troll when its you arguing with my post. Sorry if its still not clear, this is known as hypocrisy.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Mmm. The problem you referenced is a problem with Vista, according to the first hit on google.

This is you're problem.
I don't have this problem. I'm just aware of it from past experience, as you wanted something specific and I knew it was a common issue I felt it'd do. When I experienced it vista wasn't out yet & it was between xp sp 1 & 2.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

When did I ever say that Windows Updates have never caused a problem to other users?

All I did was provide evidence that in my world, we have had no issues yet.
I didn't mean you specifically, I was talking in a general sense.

F

Flora Green

FedEx will be delivering my brand new computer from donjn tomorrow. I'm SO excited!

L

Lord Patapon

Donjn I agree with your sentiments about holding the game back and that UOKR is by far a superior client. Some people just don't like change and that is there perogative. No amount of talking to these true believers will ever change their mind.
Superior client ... yeah, on some points, it's true.
But come on, have you read what others said ? If the client is THAT superior, I don't understand why it wasn't adopted by vast majority of player base.

Oh, I forgot, they don't like change. And ... that's all ?

We're all waiting for the next client, and hope it can be 2d, but in better.
What else can I say ? Most of the 2d players are not here to ruin your fun and your beautiful client; they're players, just like you, and what they saw back then wasn't what we were ALL (almost, because there's always a minority who doesn't want change) waiting for.
Not everyone and his dog are ''2D hardcores'', they want to see the game change ... but in a good way. Forcing players is sometimes NOT a smart move, especially on something as big as an 11 years old client switching.

But, i'll agree with you, I hope maintaining two clients at the same time isn't too tiring for the Devs...

donjn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
FedEx will be delivering my brand new computer from donjn tomorrow. I'm SO excited!
If you guys think it takes a brand new computer, or even anything released within the last three years to play KR, you are either delusional or are playing with, as I mentioned, Pentium III 800's.

But yes, your computer is on the way.
What can I say I like internet girlz! :love:

A

Aboo

. . . Some people just don't like change and that is there perogative. No amount of talking to these true believers will ever change their mind. . .
So because some of us truly LIKE 2D better you say it's just because we don't like change?????? How absurd.

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can tell you another reason alot of vets were very reluctant to switch to KR.

The thought of having to redo 50-100 macros per character is absurd.

I alone would have to spend almost an entire day redoing thousands of macros on chars across 4 different shards.... That does not sound appealing at all.

When they create a new client they should keep that in mind and make all of our old macros transfer over to the new client.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you guys think it takes a brand new computer, or even anything released within the last three years to play KR, you are either delusional or are playing with, as I mentioned, Pentium III 800's.

Ha! KR runs fine on my cheapo 3YR old Dell laptop, WinXP, 256MB ram, celeron 1.4ghz, wireless B, & integrated Apollo 13 graphics.

F

Fink

I think to say one group or another is holding UO back is unnecessarily divisive and ultimately unhelpful. You could also argue 2Ders are currently the life-blood of the game and without a present UO would have no future.

I've been a long-time 2D user, never really cared for Third Dawn except to bind a few gestures to UO:Assist macros so I could dance or faint. I did some skins work for KR when it first appeared, but more or less let it slide as actually playing that client never really appealed to me at that stage either.

In the last few weeks, however, I've been playing KR almost exclusively. Having not been with it the whole time, not having witnessed the gradual updates as they occurred, I got to see all the improvements made by either Mythic or the KR modding community in one hit. It did take me some time to adapt, a week, but after I de-programmed my 2D self it became second nature. I also set up 13 characters in 2-3 hours once I knew what I was doing.

I must say the improvement between KR on release and its current state is almost overwhelming. I can see how people would stick with initial impressions from KR's debut. It wasn't anywhere near ready for release and it showed, and those first impressions still haunt me. But it's come a long, long way. I love that it runs smoothly and without incident on my 6yo pc. There should be an "optimised settings" default straight out of the box, it would solve a lot of won't-run angst that people have experienced.

Anyone who's hardcore 2D shouldn't try KR, it's just not going to compare to the legacy client in those terms. Anyone who's curious to see how far things have come, you might load up KR with an enhanced UI mod and just play around with things, see how they work. Don't rush out and try to wrestle paragon balrons, just muck about with KR itself before trying to play UO with it. Give it a chance, though, you'd be battling years of 2D muscle memory.

At the moment I regard myself as a content KR user who looks back fondly on 2D and looks forward to embracing SA. I believe a lot of it comes down to personal preference. I'm excited for UO's future, but I feel as long as there are 2Ders, there should be a 2D.

L

lucksi

If I wanted to play a game with awesome, end-of-the-world 3D gfx, I wouldn´t be playing UO. Simple as that.

KR is simply to clunky. It doesn´t look that good, most of the basic things have been changed ( WHY? ); even something as simple as the chat system.

Nostalgia is the biggest part of keeping this game alive. Most, if not all, new games are pandering to the lowest common denominator and are so easy that even kids with Down´s syndrome can play them and say that they are easy.

Nostalgia lasts way longer than 20 minutes (at least for me ) Since I got a PS3 and a new HDTV, guess what I have been playing more; the PS3 or the SNES? ( Ever played Secret of Evermore on a 47" TV with ambilight in 7.1 decode sound? )

As soon as the 2D client is dropped, my accounts will be closed.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can tell you another reason alot of vets were very reluctant to switch to KR.

The thought of having to redo 50-100 macros per character is absurd.
Let's not forget that the idea of relearning a game some of us have been playing for a decade is none too appealing either.

F

Flora Green

:D Actually I have a new computer, but I'm not going to put KR on it because I don't like it. My old computer, even my crappy laptop, should have ran KR, but they didn't. I'm willing to give SA a try and I've played other games (EQ, EQ2, Horizons, seems there was one more) and like them a lot. So it's not a fear or nostalgic thing for me. I can get nostalgia on a player run shard. Bottom line is I just don't like KR and I do like 2d.

We will see what the future holds for my UO playstyle.

donjn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And this is exactly why EA never made Ultima Online 2 or Ultima X. And it is exactly why KR never got the proper funding or effort. EA is too chicken (and I dont blame them) to spend a lot of time and effort because ultimately they will lose the cult following.

Good God I am thankful I am not as close minded as some of you. I would never leave my house!

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It wasn't a proper funding issue really. They dropped the ball thanks to Mythic merge and moving.
That left everyone with a bad KR taste in their mouths.

K

Kratos Aurion

And this is exactly why EA never made Ultima Online 2 or Ultima X. And it is exactly why KR never got the proper funding or effort. EA is too chicken (and I dont blame them) to spend a lot of time and effort because ultimately they will lose the cult following.

Good God I am thankful I am not as close minded as some of you. I would never leave my house!
I don't believe UOX was ever meant to replace UO in the first place. As I recall it was just a PvP based version of UO in 3D which wouldn't offer nearly the amount of versatility that UO has. But since the introduction of tram, there were probably far too little players left to even support the introduction of UOX although it did look sweet. The downside is is that when UOX was announced, it looked like it had a more WoW looking base of gameplay than traditional skill gaining.

And I don't think EA is "afraid" to explore new engines as much as they are afraid to spend money period. I don't think EA has much experience in MMOs compared to other companies which may be why we get under funded games and/or lacky expansions and half ass immitations (UO3D/KR). I'm not suggesting that either of 3D clients suck as much as I'm suggesting that they could have been much better with proper funding and care like you've suggested.

I'd really love to see a 3D based UO2 built and managed correctly.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I will try the new client. I will hope that I like it. But if I was forced to use it, I would cancel my 3 accounts faster than you can say Kal Ort Por.

soze

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sorry if someone said this in response already....but, if KR is so great then more people would play it...simple as that. It is a basic supply-demand, cause-effect, whatever else, type of thing. To say the 2D players are holding UO back because they dont want to play KR (due to the fact most people say it sucks) is short sighted and lacks understanding of the player base right now.

Good thing people with the "let them eat cake" philosophy dont work at Mythic (or do they?)

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I cannot install the KR client and have it play.

Recently I've tried and can't download the KR client without it being corrupted.

Until they come up with a client that can be installed and run on my machine that is better than the 2D client, I will play 2D.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play KR exclusively, but I'm not going to begrudge anyone who is reluctant to switch.

1) it is beta quality. Let's not mince words - it should not have been released it the state it was in. It improved a lot from its "official" release, but the stability is not where it needs to be for the amount that is paid for it. People without a modern graphics card are not going to have it even run.

2) UO has a lot of timing-based mechanics which are very sensitive to the responsiveness of the client ... KR has a different set of quirks than 2d (and see stability above).

3) do not underestimate the amount of time it takes the imagination to get used to any new graphics. You may not realize it, but if you play a game for a few years, you don't really "see" the graphics any more ... your eyes and brain translate it all into reflexes. A new set of graphics means all those well-honed reflexes don't fire any more and so you have to stop and look the screen more than you are used to. It noticably feels like "work" the first few times you log in. I would say it took me six months to reprogram my brain to get used to KR. However, now that I've done it, it feels painful to go back and look at 2D (save for a small scattering of graphics which I do feel were flubbed in KR - eg:fishnets).

However, for people who don't use UOA or automap, the UI of macros and maps is very powerful. The ability to zoom in/out is amazingly useful. There are corners of the world which I feel are stunningly beautiful in KR, especially when you get used to the "soft light" feel of the textures (I've have tried the legacy art and didn't like it - but by the time I tried it, my imagination had already made the flip to seeing the world in KR).

It's an old comment, but I still like to say it: you only get one chance to make a first impression. The KR client had huge goodwill going in, but due to whatever internal company issues were being wrestled with, was rushed out too soon. EA blew it and a permanent grudge by part of the player base against the client is the price they pay for it. Now they need to hit a much higher standard with SA before many people will show enough trust to try it - and I think that's fair.

N

NewThunder

EA is listening to their consumers, the consumers have rejected all the clients they have put forth since 2D. It is not about being close minded for me, I have played several other games that have the pretty 3d graphics (which KR doesnt actual have), for me the secret of UO is not about the client:

It is about the community

I believe that we do not play Uo for the graphics or the macros, we play because of the people that play with us. Unless there is a client that enhances the community why would we switch from the classic 2D.

It's funny I buy the latest version of Madden every year, yet often I end up playing tecmobowl with my nephew, I guess i just love the old NES classics!

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

There is no doubt that the 2d client (not necessarily the people, but the client itself) is holding the KR/SA client back on a technological level.

This is even more true as they scale back what they had originally planned for the new client to do to make it more "friendly" with the 2d client.

As for the people, there are a small number of people with a very Ludditic mindset that I will say are doing their damnedest to try and hold UO back to the 2d client (not just in their opinion, but in the way they ignorantly attack the client based on opinions outdated by a year or more).

There is also no doubt on the other side of the coin that the KR client DOES have its set of issues, it WAS rushed out WAAAAY too early in development, and the move from CA to VA harmed progress on the client for quite a while.

But in the meantime, a very dedicated group of people have turned the KR client into not only playable, but functionally amazing in the meantime. The modding community that I have been involved in has played it very carefully to add in new features while keeping out the possibility of using the KR client to exploit via the UI addons.

While I wish they had had a better start with the new client, I'm excited about the SA client upgrades to the KR client. I think once it gets released to everyone, as long as people approach it with a reasonably open mind (i.e. not the mindset of "If it's not 2d I hate it and will always hate it!!!111!!!!1eleventy!!!"), they may be surprised by what they find.

Personally I look forward not only to the SA client, but to some of the reactions of soon-to-be-former detractors.

G

Gellor

donjn, you might want to take a few minutes and look at the previous posts that all have said the same exact thing: EVERY SINGLE CLIENT OSI/EA/Mythic HAS TRIED SINCE THE 2D CLIENT HAS FLAT OUT SUCKED!!!:spider:

At least 2 to 1 in this thread has said that. And it has been the same ratio for every other post dealing with "god the 2d client sucks, force everyone to use another one".

I also don't believe anyone has claimed the 2d client is the end all and be all of clients... just that it is 100% better overall than any of those abortions that have been shoveled on us.

Each client they have produced has had SOME good features with basically garbage graphics(all the clients even the 2d one although the 2d one is the best of the lot) or garbage interfaces(KR and the diablo feel)

Most of the current customers of UO is interested in a certain feel... the 2d client has that feel. For me, the feel is the 3/4 ISO view with backpack art.

The other issue is most of the current customers are OLD players... as in playing UO for years. UO is not getting large batches of new subscriptions. You know why? Because they have no retail presence for UO. NONE... ZERO... ZILCH. I can't think back to the last time EA put out a boxed UO set... never mind an honest to goodness UO display:yell:

Look at all the "fancy" graphic online games. How much player sustaining power do they have? Once you level up, it is more boring than UO so there is no reason to keep paying a subscription. I can't count the number of UO players who went to try other games and 3-6 months later came back to UO with the same story: "beautiful graphics but leveling up sucks and once you level up, you do the same stuff over and over and over".

Not everyone has the same tastes in graphics. Yes, there are some of us that actually want a game with substance rather than fancy graphics. So much so that we are willing to put up with an ancient client.

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fear? God no. It's the fact that all of the 3d engines provided for UO to date have absolutely sucked...la
Quoted for truth.

The day UO goes to a REAL 3D engine that doesn't look horrid on any monitor, I will switch.

Perhaps if they spent more money on a 3D Engine....

R

Ravahan

I got about halfway through this before it seemed to dissolve away from any meaningful discussion.

To all you "I won't play UO if they kill my client!" people; They killed my client (3d), and I came back. Do you think I'm a bigger UO fan than you? I don't. You keep saying that graphics don't make UO as an excuse not to upgrade, when you should be using it as a reason why an upgrade is ok!

If UO isn't graphics for you, then what do you care what it looks like? What I care about is keeping the servers up, which won't happen if we can't get a client that EA isn't ashamed to market.

Now, I'm going to try to read the other 50 or so posts here and hope this picks back up.

R

Ravahan

Originally Posted by 4th3ist
Windows update is an imperative feature to a working computer.

Thats not true, they often break working computers. There are millions of threads in tech support forums including their own to that effect.

I'm not sure what the hell you mean.

I mean that windows updates usually stop something working while giving you something else that you didn't want, much like KR when compared to 2D.

Do you know anything about operating and maintaining a computer, or even a network for that matter?

Yes.
You sure?

As a guy who used to work for a paid tech service... Well, a lot of people got charged about $100-$200 to have us run windows update and a free virus/anti-spyware scan. Windows updates introduce BUG FIXES for the operating system and, more often, security precautions. Most users will never need even 1% of the updates they download, but you bet your buttons someone will.

Either way, this is 100% completely off topic.

L

Lych

KR is to 2D what a windows update is to a working computer.
You win the thread :D

Graphics does not equal UO. They're a quaint addition, a gesture of relevance by the developers.

2D works fine. KR does not for many people. That's just the way it is. I pvp, therefore I use the most efficient client. Also, I greatly prefer the aesthetics.

KR is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. When KR is functionally superior to 2D (and this might be the near future, given the improvements that are being made), I will happily convert.

Until then, work around us :p

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is also no doubt on the other side of the coin that the KR client DOES have its set of issues, it WAS rushed out WAAAAY too early in development, and the move from CA to VA harmed progress on the client for quite a while.
Too bad this is how All of UO has been approached even before AOS.

There has never been solid focus or effort, all the teams from when I started to the present have been Sooo far all over the board that its all done half arsed.

For Once I would like to see a finely tuned playable product from the UO Team not excuses or never attended to promises.

S

Stanton Of Pac

The 2D interface is simpler and more intuitive. Doesn't load the PC down and is rock-steady now, after 10 years of trial-and-error development. The 3D interface has gotten pretty good but it's really not a good mesh with a tile-based movement system, no matter how much work they've done to make it run smoothly.

D

Dhara

Its just me. I tend to bring out the passion in people. It was not my intention to get everyone all riled up, but nevertheless, people will keep responding to my original post over and over again, without seeing my apologies later in this thread..

I should not have said "you 2d people". It is very derogatory.
I'm glad you said that. I was about to post that it was not us holding things back. There is nothing more that I'd like but an actual 3D MMORGP with the depth this game has.

Look folks...its all about budget. There are so many people who have NO IDEA the amount of work involved in game development. You must think those guys sit around at their computers drawing cute little pictures and shooting the breeze with the guy next to them all day long. That is so far from the truth it's not even funny. It's VERY hard work, mentally. I am a flash game developer - not EVEN the UO dev's league - but over the past few years I have learned that I WAY underestimated the time it takes to do this kind of work. It's tedious. It's mind numbing. It's time consuming. And look out if you are actually enjoying what you are doing because then you end up coding for 17 hours straight and then can't think at all for the next two days. Not to mention the art! Just desigining one toon in all of its many positions and such can take up to two weeks or longer (if you're doing it right, that is). Why do you think this game has so many hued items? And you guys don't even get me started on testing and debugging - takes longer than coding it up in the first place - aaaarrrggghhh!!!

While I am thankful that UO is still around, in any form, I seriously doubt that EA/Mythic is prepared to spend the YEARS of development that it would take to bring this game up to current technical 3D MMORPG standards. I'm not even sure it would be possible with the sheet depth this game has and I just don't think it's gonna happen. We are lucky that they care enough about the piddly amount that they are making off of this game to keep it alive for those of us who love it.

Just my 2 gp.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What Dermott of LS, and Fink say is 100% true.

Before KR was even in beta I knew that it would not be successful as 80% of the player base would never accept any new client for the 'various' reasons stated above, but mostly because it would be 'different', take a bit to learn and relearn and the UO playerbase of all games I have ever played in over 15 yrs of gaming would have to be the hardest bunch to ever accept 'change' of any sort.

I expected MOST players to log in, give it an hour or so then switch right back to 2d screaming 'yuck' unless it was a 'clone' of what they were 'used' to. I expected another bunch to persist a little longer but as soon as they couldn't do a couple of things that were familiar with in 2d would call it 'game over' at that point. That was the case, within 24 hrs the 'screams' were flooding the boards. Ea didn't help one bit in this by releasing the client too early, being so unstable and with so many bugs that many who may of persisted for a week or so were lost and given all the ammo they needed to start bagging the client for ever more. Another lot would of found it impossible with the initial inability of their hardware to 'run' it, although after a few patches and certainly after some tweaking a lot who thought it impossible to run have found that that is not the case. The remaining players, who persisted longer, waited for patches, looked at improvements through modding etc are the 'winners' and while KR is not 100% it is as much a 100% as 2d is.

I, myself, only lasted about 2 hrs the first time I logged in, it was, I admit, a 'culture shock', not so much graphics wise but having to 'learn' how to do everything again, from simple things like talking to npcs, figuring out where all the menus and settings etc were. However, I ended up thinking to be 'fair' to the client I would have to 'use' it at least a month exclusively to actually 'judge' so returned and did a little each day to build up 'familiarity'. Unless you have actually 'done' this you cannot really give a fair judgment. And even if you did it back when the client was first released, that is in no way comparable to how it stands NOW.

All the 'immersion' claims and 'not UO' claims are just downright silly. What makes UO, UO, is the content, not the client. I have never 'understood' how the look of a gump or backpack 'makes' UO, imo it is the community, the content, the events, and all the little uo intricacies that make 'UO'. My game window in KR where I actually 'play' is so much the same as 2d that the difference is certainly not enough to make me want to play in 2d given that KR has so many more things to make life so much easier.

As for graphics etc, a lot of that is personal preference, I didn't like the full KR graphics for items, so elect to play KR with 2d legacy art. Look at my game play window and tell me seriously how much difference there is: My Game Play Window

And if anyone can tell me that the 'items' in this pic show any 'real' graphical difference between the clients I guess you see something I don't see:

I also didn't like 'enter' to talk, so use legacy chat. And you know what, that is because I have a 'choice'. 2d gives no 'choice'.

The majority (not all) people, play 2d with uoassist and uoam, why? Because the stand alone 2d client cannot and does not cater to the majority. You only have to see the ruckus on these boards when uoassist goes 'down' to see how dependent players are on these 3rd party programs. KR, while not including 100% of the functions supplied by these programs, has at least 80% of them built in with the addition of a huge amount of functions not included in either 3rd party program or the 2d client. When I play KR I never feel I am 'missing' something because I don't have uoassist or uoam. The client functions as 'stand alone' without them plus gives me heaps 'extra' on top. Of the 20% of uoassist that isn't included, I think only 2% of that was ever used by me anyways. So I shall forgo that 2%.

While I do not believe all UO players are cheats, I would guestimate at least 30% are by regularly using at least one illegal third party program be it speedhacking, other pvp related scripts (sheesh reading these boards you would have to estimate that 80% of pvp'ers use em), afk macroing of skills or crafting, afk scripting of resources, gold farming etc. That 30% will never use a client that doesn't have these illegal programs up and ready to use, so they were 'lost' before the client was even introduced.

All I know is I log into 2d to do 5% of my daily activities that KR cannot do, but I then log back to KR to do 60% of things that 2d can't do.

I am not saying there is anything 'wrong' with 2d. If you enjoy it, all good. I am also not going to even bother trying to convert or change anyone's mind on what 'client' they prefer.

I am saying I am totally sick to death of those who haven't played KR for more than a day, those who still dredge up stuff that was 'fixed', over a year and a half ago, but are 'experts' on why it sucks and use this misinformation as 'facts' to justify their reasons as to why they don't use KR, and the ones who have absolutely no understanding of the client spouting stuff that is so inaccurate that it is laughable.

But as Dermott said in his opening line is fact:

There is no doubt that the 2d client (not necessarily the people, but the client itself) is holding the KR/SA client back on a technological level.
The shame about this 'fact' is that UO2d will never attract new players, will never be 'marketed' as it should be due to it's age, will never have the 'ingrained cheats' removed or even be 'easily fixed' due to the complexity of archaic code and the time it takes to 'identify and fix' things in the 2d spaghetti. Without an influx of new players, UO is losing subscriptions by the year, to my mind that is the MOST damaging aspect that exists in UO today. UO is UO due to the community, and that is what we lose day by day because we cannot compete with more modern games for the new player base irrespective of what client we elect to play.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WARNING: THIS RAMBLING POST COVERS MANY TOPICS, IS NOT WELL-ORGANIZED, AND IS 100% NON-PROOFREAD. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

-------------------------------------------------

I find many virtues in the KR client.

I must point out, however, that it runs very poorly on my computer despite the fact that my computer in places matches and in places exceeds its minimum specs.

I also have to dispute something that's been said in this thread, that Windows Vista is fine, and the resistance to it is simply because it's new? I have empirical proof that this isn't true, and that's the fact that most people in short order realized that Windows XP was an improvement over Windows 98.

Windows ME and Windows 2000 didn't do as well as XP. And why? Because they were mostly pretty bad.

Yes there's intrinsic resistance to new things. This is especially true of UO players; we tend to be a pretty conservative bunch.

But, if KR were better, things would have gone better for it. Just as things went better for XP than they have for ME, or 2000.....Or Vista.

Finally.....We're talking about a video game here. The criteria for judging ANY video game is going to be VERY subjective by definition. Objective criteria might exist, but....They won't mean much. At the end of the day, video games are about one thing: Does the customer (us) respond to it?

So....If KR were better in objective terms, it'd have stood a better chance with us. However, it still might not have succeeded, because we the customers respond to UO looking and "behaving" a certain way.

KR represented a compromise. KR was clearly intended to look higher-end than it was, so that it could simultaneously attract new players AND keep older players in the fold by keeping the client lower-end, though it looked higher-end. KR thus was too compromised, too rushed, too under-funded, too much of a pipe dream of Darkscribe's (sorry man).

The more I think about it...The more I think that UO's future will rest in having 2 clients. Might make it harder to update, but it really has to be done.

The 2d client will, I suspect, always continue to exist. For reasons both objective and subjective, it's literally irreplaceable. And at least twice now we've seen that attempts to issue content that excludes 2d access largely fail. (Ilshenar and the Stygian Abyss.)

So the future I predict is this....The SA client is higher-end than KR, and is better by objective criteria. The SA client is the only one advertised, hoping to attract a new player or two. 2d stays around forever, but the expansions increasingly favor the new client.

I'd be ok with that. I'd be ok with new critters in 2d looking just like re-hued versions of old creatures, and most new art being exclusive to a new client.

I'll give the SA client a whirl to be sure. But I suspect I'll end up back at 2d.

-Galen's player

K

Karthcove

The older I get, the less "D's" I see in. 3D gives me a headache. :)

J

Jhym

I don't think 2D is holding things back -- however I do believe we need two clients regardless of feelings on it.

UO is somewhat unique these days by NOT having a beautiful client. You can't argue that EITHER client is in any way beautiful. There aren't places in the game that take your breath away or that draw you again and again because you want to take screen shots of them.

I think this is a major problem with UO that has to change eventually.

The game play behind the scenes (the server and server code) is excellent, extensible, and remarkably solid considering it is code that has been updated for 11 years.

There ARE NO APPLICATIONS ON THE MARKET that have lasted that long. ANYWHERE.

Think about that a minute. Every application you have or use has been updated at LEAST once in the past 11 years.

Now, that being said, the interface we use to talk to the server really does need work.

2D is nominally fine, it does the job that it's intended for. However, it could be much better. Better macroing (why the hell haven't they just paid the external vendors and integrated their tools? I'd say laziness and unwillingness to accept that others can do their jobs better sometimes) clear performance, better artwork, and more user extension capability would help immensely. Take KR's additions and update the 2D client to use them as needed (which is pretty much what KR is anyway.)

We need a pretty client. We need one that allows us to view and interact with things in the game and SHOW IT OFF. There is no excuse for it. I've tried showing UO off to friends, who literally laugh at it. It's sad that I, an 11 year vet, have to be embarrassed to show off my items, my characters, and places I've been.

You all like to argue that the pretty factor is moot. I say you are full of BS. We need one client that is a show place for everyone, for the decorators to use, for the crafters to build excellent things for everyone to see. I should be able to print screen all around my house and be excited to put it on the wall.

It doesn't have to be a pvp client, nor does it have to be one you use exclusively. However, I put forward that we need one 3D-ish client that shows our 'world' in a way that we are all proud and happy to show to others.

It would be great if it also is usable as a standard client, and that we can use day-to-day. But without that pretty client UO will always seem second class to everyone -- that older piece of expensive furniture that you keep because it has sentimental value but it's not an antique and you are mildly embarrassed for strangers to look at it.

I -love- UO. Always will. I will probably be devastated if they ever shut it down. But I can see great things -- if there is a real, solid, definitive attempt to make it better.

I -want- to see the landscape in the distance, or be surrounded by the trees of spirit wood and wondering what's around the corner. I also -want- to build a house and decorate properly, without graphical tricks.

:yell:

A

AesSedai

(disclaimer: I've read 99% of this thread; and skimmed the last post - no offense meant, sir.)

2d's issue: 10+ years of spaghetti code
Stygian Abyss benefit: uniform (gamebryo & hope! eventual entire server side) code

That said, I have seen plenty of UO landmarks that 'took my breath away', after I stopped relying on the UO that I knew (2d) and began to take in the new (KR). It may not be 2012 graphics, but much of it was far and beyond better than UO~2d. Many of you might consider it ugly, but I saw plenty of beauty and potential in KR (I have been back on 2d about 80/20 % of the time, since they stopped updating until SA arrives...).

But do not worry 2d loyalists!!
They already stated that they will use 2d graphics in SA (which is sad for some to hear - I have passionate hope that they will still offer alternative graphics/animations/and other such toggles, for those that appreciated the premature KR transition, which included quite a few superior aspects, in my not so humble opinion. Oh yeah, imnsho, eheh).

x: btw, I still love Tetris & even a fun round of Pong :) talk about archaically intriguing... maybe graphics are for da newbs, heheh...? ;)

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its just me. I tend to bring out the passion in people. It was not my intention to get everyone all riled up, but nevertheless, people will keep responding to my original post over and over again, without seeing my apologies later in this thread..

I should not have said "you 2d people". It is very derogatory.
*Recalls tazer scene in Anger Management*

"What do you mean YOU people!?" "I don't mean..." "Sir! Calm down!!" "I am calm..." *zap*

I play both 2D and KR. Gave 3D a try too.

I believe 1 step to get new blood into this grand daddy of MMOs is an improvement to the graphics engine. I play lots of other games too, most of the new releases are 3D. No one really makes 2D games anymore because of where the game market is headed.

I would definitely give the SA engine a try.

However, at the same time, I believe they should cater for people that are prone to motion sickness like my wife when they play 3D games (not fps games, mind you, but isometric ones like Sacred, Titan Quest, Diablo 2, Ragnorak, Blackstone etc).

I am very happy that they are doing both. Yes, it's taking alot more time, but if my wife can't play UO, I would lose a huge part of my desire to play UO.

It's like any hobby you share with your spouse, family, children or friends, if one decides that she no longer likes/or is able to do rock climbing/cycling/baseball, an activity you have been doing together for the past 11 years, the remaining partner will lose interest very quickly too.

Now my gripe about KR, why can't it look like Sacred or TQ? My robes looks like it's overstarched, my mounts look like they have been sawed in 2 and the halves glued to my chest and back (my feet touches the floor). The blurring effect with paths and roads are too much to the point of almost being indistinguishable.

The company that made TQ gone bust last year, so quickly kidnap their graphics team!

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I might give up 2D if they could sort of 'ween' me off of it with a 3D client that looked an awful lot like 2D...instead they have given us 2 3D clients that look an awful like...awful.