• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Yikes! Teleported while farming the mages in Blackthorn Castle

Rusker Sulle

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Okay, what's the deal? I was hitting the mages at Blackthorn's and all of a sudden I find myself surrounded by rotting corpses and brigands in one of the cells. If this is an attempt to curb unattended players, it's also harming legit players as well. Glad I didn't have my pet with me while hunting.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This was inside the dungeon, under Blackthorn's castle? Teleported from 1 spot to another stop?

Sounds quite logical to me! :)

If you are beating on the "innocent" population of a dungeon, even when they are fully evil... that you could be dragged off to jail, by the same evil population.

Even funny. hehe

BUT, I admit... I have no clue why you would be farming in that dungeon. I'm not much for dungeons.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
BUT, I admit... I have no clue why you would be farming in that dungeon. I'm not much for dungeons.
Just wondering, are you sober when you post this kind of stuff - wondering why he would be farming mages in Blackthorn? I mean, that's common knowledge - for the drops to turn in for goodies. Seriously??

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just wondering, are you sober when you post this kind of stuff - wondering why he would be farming mages in Blackthorn? I mean, that's common knowledge - for the drops to turn in for goodies. Seriously??
Outside your TROLL statement...

No. I do not mess around in that dungeon... and this dungeon was opened during a time I wasnt playing more then 1-2 hours a week, for 3-4 years.

I discovered this dungeon last October when the Halloween spawn took my attention, so I never came back... because I couldn't find someone to go with me for some deeper exploration. Considering the damage staff did by re-tooling Shame, Cove, Despise… and whatever else, it makes these very "un-fun" to me. I have way more important things to get on with then that dungeon.

I think its funny that cheating the system (not so much criminally), would result in being jailed inside said dungeon. Even in auto retargeting for skill building, I'm always watching my guys. We still live in a world where full of unattended scripters are not punished much... if at all. Maybe they are? Then why do I see them constantly? (Not like years ago, but when you know what you are looking at... you see them.)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes. You were clearly afk farming so you got busted. And while in The gas chamber you saw avatar spamming that apparently legal website.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Okay, what's the deal? I was hitting the mages at Blackthorn's and all of a sudden I find myself surrounded by rotting corpses and brigands in one of the cells. If this is an attempt to curb unattended players, it's also harming legit players as well. Glad I didn't have my pet with me while hunting.
Yeah I think it's a system to stop scripters. I've had this happen to me before as well and I run no scripts, and only had a few macros at the time. I was definitely their clicking buttons, and moving and clearly not afk. I assume it's a semi autonomous setup for finding afk scripters.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you were caught with this, you were scripting, just own it and hush about it. Yes it's my opinion, but i"m so so so so tired of the "I wasn't scripting, I was just .....blah....blah....blah..." No one's buying, so stop trying to sell it...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah I think it's a system to stop scripters. I've had this happen to me before as well and I run no scripts, and only had a few macros at the time. I was definitely their clicking buttons, and moving and clearly not afk. I assume it's a semi autonomous setup for finding afk scripters.
It happened to me while I was there chatting. Also has happen to 2 others that were chatting and next sentence WTF I was just teleported and now I'm dead. So you basically have to figure out the script that keeps you from being gassed. Attended playing is not enough.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At the time this happened to me I was using my tamer and think it has to do with movement, just move now and then ( I got more drops from the room I was teleported too any way). Go figure...

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you were caught with this, you were scripting, just own it and hush about it. Yes it's my opinion, but i"m so so so so tired of the "I wasn't scripting, I was just .....blah....blah....blah..." No one's buying, so stop trying to sell it...
Sorry but your opinion is wrong. Not only have I experienced it myself but so have many others. Claiming we are all lying is ignorant.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ive never had to happen to me.

then i dont spend 8 hours in a row farming one room.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just because you can't imagine UO without scripting doesn't mean everyone does it. I raised animal lore from 90-115 by using a lore macro in uo and manually clicking it closed every time. Yes I'm dumb, I know it. I don't bother with scripts, and know people who are in the same boat. Don't project on me :)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ive never had to happen to me.

then i dont spend 8 hours in a row farming one room.
Only takes 20 min in Blackthorns. Go try it. You may get lucky and get gassed in only 10 min.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The teleport is definitely not based on being static, possibly a movement threshold of some sort, maybe staying in an 8x8 grid too long but this is just speculative. I have been teleported a few times just farming gold ingots, I only farm for what I need so probably don't spend more than 15-20 mins there and have had it happen on occasion.

The reality is, this 'quirk' of the dungeon works in favour of the scripter over the person that has just nipped for a pee or to make a coffee, yup honest guv!

If you are genuinely playing attended, it takes 2 seconds to open the door and walk out of the cell before anything even has a chance to engage in combat with you and the gas is 'weak' to say the least. If you are dying here, you probably shouldn't have left Haven! Or maybe write a better... well, y'know.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've had it happen down there on a MINER/MACER, that was farming gold elementals for the gold ore.

Fully playing, NO macros other than the "bandage self" UO CLIENT Macro in use, moving regularly.

I've been down there in the mage room with a tamer (most people I know farming the mages aren't there for the drops, but are tamers that are trying to raise a pet's Resist Spells skill - but that might just be my shard), and either myself or someone else there be playing live (I'm in GENERAL CHAT conversation with them), fully within what SHOULD be the methods that prevent the anti-AFK code from EVER kicking in, and still get teleported - but the one time I saw someone BLATANTLY AFK macro farming, they weren't getting teleported when the LEGIT player a room away WAS teleported.

It's a known bug. Even if some of you and the devs don't want to admit it.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you are genuinely playing attended, it takes 2 seconds to open the door and walk out
I have the reaction time of a sloth. Takes 4 seconds for me to comprehend what happened and start to push the button to open a door.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've spent hours down in the City Pod/Captain section of Blackthorn's Dungeon, and never been teleported. You probably just have to leave the room occasionally and go back in it. Sitting in one room for too long probably triggers it.

Rusker Sulle

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
FYI, I don't even use UOAssist. The only macros I use are found in the in-game options. If I go back to Blackthorns, I'll just stay with farming the liches and leave the mages alone.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Please complain on the official forums.
There's really no need for the jail cell transport. If an AFKer is bothering someone, that someone can bring the greater dragon or the balron up.

Edit:
It might be of bigger concern that this area seems to be less rewarding than it has been historically.
I gave it a shot. 40 minutes, sent to jail cell twice, and no minax items. This was under "Felucca facet."

=
Someone mentioned above that the noxious gas was weak. Well, that's true of the first hit. I waited out a few more. I figure that by the 12th I would be a goner. So, yes, that gas trap does get the job done.

Last edited:

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Someone mentioned above that the noxious gas was weak. Well, that's true of the first hit. I waited out a few more. I figure that by the 12th I would be a goner. So, yes, that gas trap does get the job done.
This was my point exactly, if people are not scripting/AFK macroing like they claim not to be, why is the teleport a problem? If you are attended, you simply walk out of the room and spend 20 seconds going back to whatever farming spot you were at and carry on as normal.

The people dying to this teleport are very, very clearly doing it unattended. It's not rocket science.

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I went to farm gold elementals weeks back about 20 - 30 mins into it I got teleported. I did not die but it is quite annoying as I was fully active killing, looting and smelting. I have not been back but if I do I will set a timer for 15 mins farm and leave before teleport. Just a nuisance we shouldn't have to deal with because we are at the keys and have to run back to the area. There is a bit of relaxing quality to mining, fighting and gathering items that gets broken when interrupted.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It is annoying that it seems to target active players and does nothing to the scripters. Case in point would be the guy that sits 24/7 in the room with the hellhounds... all day every day.

Jennifer-Marie

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
-- This is a build-in at Blackthorn's Castle so people cannot farm drops AFK with a script. It doesn't matter if you're casting spells, with a pet and giving commands, or using a melee to fight things ... what matters is that if you've teleported to the jail cells, you've been standing still past the timer.

As for the guy on Great Lakes who farms the hellhound room, he's not scripting or farming AFK ... every time I walk in there (at different times, on different days) I always say, "You again?!" and he always responds and we talk. some people just like farming for drops down there ...

You just can't stand still.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
... what matters is that if you've teleported to the jail cells, you've been standing still past the timer.
Ok, Standing still for TWO SECONDS?

Please....

In fact, of the 5 or 6 times I was teleported in the last year, ALL while active, NONE of the instances had me standing still for more than 5 seconds at the time I was moved, and that was typically to loot and smelt the ore. On the other hand, in the COMBAT prior, sometimes I'd be standing in the same spot for over 30 seconds (as I had 2 eles on me, then the respawn was on me before second one dropped), but never get teleported in those situations.

I'm almost to the point of thinking that the code was mishandled, and it's doing a running total of standing still moments out of combat, when the actual scripters are the ones that are standing still without ever leaving combat (and their staying in combat is what keeps them from being moved). Someone either forgot a qualifier, or did a "double negative" that reversed the "move/not move" conditions.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This was my point exactly, if people are not scripting/AFK macroing like they claim not to be, why is the teleport a problem? If you are attended, you simply walk out of the room and spend 20 seconds going back to whatever farming spot you were at and carry on as normal.

The people dying to this teleport are very, very clearly doing it unattended. It's not rocket science.
Let me explain what happens to a player on LS the first time it happens. On LS many players like to proclaim what is happening to them in Chat.

Teleplayer: WTF
Teleplayer: I just got teleported!!
ChatTalker: Where are you?
Teleplayer: Im in Blackthorns and it took me to jail I think.
Chattalker: Ya thats a new feature. If you do not know how to hack the game you get teleported while playing there.
Teleplayer: This is stupid. Now Im dying. WTF Why am I in jail?
Teleplayer: Can someone help me get my body back at Blackthornes?
(players on LS always walk to there bodies naked or in the death robe.)
ChattyCathy: OMW

That is why the first time it happens to you it may kill you. And I have not been back since except to res someone. I used to take new and returning players there. Now I dont because Ill hear what happened in chat later.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
It’s all the fault of script kiddies. If people didn’t afk script, the devs wouldn’t have to drop kick our collective asses in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Teleplayer: Can someone help me get my body back at Blackthornes?
(players on LS always walk to there bodies naked or in the death robe.)
ChattyCathy: OMW
Lol why don't they put armor on? I always gear back up

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
-- This is a build-in at Blackthorn's Castle so people cannot farm drops AFK with a script. It doesn't matter if you're casting spells, with a pet and giving commands, or using a melee to fight things ... what matters is that if you've teleported to the jail cells, you've been standing still past the timer.
There is more to it than standing still, you know a scripter can make a character move as well? A scripter can easily overcome any movement based mechanism.
Not only could a scripter have his toon move location to interupt any movement/time mechanism but guess what... a scripter could also have his character navigate back from the jail cell in that instance too!

If they were to remove this 'quirk' of the dungeon now, guess what will happen?

Be careful what you wish for.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is more to it than standing still, you know a scripter can make a character move as well? A scripter can easily overcome any movement based mechanism.
Not only could a scripter have his toon move location to interupt any movement/time mechanism but guess what... a scripter could also have his character navigate back from the jail cell in that instance too!

If they were to remove this 'quirk' of the dungeon now, guess what will happen?

Be careful what you wish for.
So you are saying it is easier for a scripter to do Blackthorns than a Tamer but you accuse those who watch themselves die, Scripters or AFK.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So you are saying it is easier for a scripter to do Blackthorns than a Tamer but you accuse those who watch themselves die, Scripters or AFK.
Being a Tamer has nothing to do with anything, any class can be scripted, and I'm not accusing anyone of 'watching' themselves die but if people are dying to a mechanic that happens once in a blue moon and is very easy to escape regardless of class, there is something amiss.

I think there is a quote that applies to everyone when affected by the teleport/jail thing.

'Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me'

People should learn from it, die once, fair enough, it's a surprise. Die twice, come on, you are having a laugh. 99.9% of people going in there are not new, they are either farming Minax Arties or Gold ingots.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Luring spawn on the hellhound AFK scripter in Tram can get you legit paged on. I prefer luring the hellhounds AWAY from him & out of the room. Luring spawn AWAY from a player in Tram isn’t against TOS.

Use stone walls to block the player from attacking the hounds, vigorously click/attack all spawning hellhounds, then pull them to the far northwest through the doors. Leave the AFKer standing in an empty room for hours while you LOL the whole time. Can also page on them telling the GM his script is set to auto-attack all spawning hellhounds & he’s OBVIOUSLY AFK scripting since he’s not even trying to find them & still standing in an empty room.

Last time I did this the GM showed up relatively fast, I think to see it himself. He gave an LOL then took the guy away. Saw same guy couple days later & he was PI$$ED at me & said he was paging on me even before I could say a word. He must have been recording his journal & read what I did. I told him “Page away bro, luring spawn AWAY from a player isn’t illegal... unlike what your doing.”

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Being a Tamer has nothing to do with anything, any class can be scripted, and I'm not accusing anyone of 'watching' themselves die but if people are dying to a mechanic that happens once in a blue moon and is very easy to escape regardless of class, there is something amiss.

I think there is a quote that applies to everyone when affected by the teleport/jail thing.

'Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me'

People should learn from it, die once, fair enough, it's a surprise. Die twice, come on, you are having a laugh. 99.9% of people going in there are not new, they are either farming Minax Arties or Gold ingots.
Ya I went afk at fel yew gate to burn murder counts years ago. I got put in jail. Apparently it's illegal even though I had nothing running, just using people running bye to keep me logged in. After this I have never done any afk stuff. Always keep eyes on your screen!

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My question about blackthorns has always been, why are the captains in the back so ridiculous. Not only do they have ridiculous HP but there is like 5-6 of them in a small confined area. Those Captians originally were part of a event where hundreds of people were fighting them at once. People don't have that ability even in a decent guild of up to 20-25 members. Even if they did have the people what are you gonna do split the 5-10 drops you get with 25 people, whats the point of doing it. They really need to take the level of captains down a few notches so that the content is even worth doing. I havnt seen someone in that area in over 6 years on several shards.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I farm those areas frequently. Most spawns can be done solo start to finish in alil over 2 hrs & usually drop just over 50 items. The Orc spawn can go even faster. The Dryad spawn can take twice as long if they keep undressing you a lot. Plenty of folks do it solo if u figure out the deal. It isn't that hard.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I farm those areas frequently. Most spawns can be done solo start to finish in alil over 2 hrs & usually drop just over 50 items. The Orc spawn can go even faster. The Dryad spawn can take twice as long if they keep undressing you a lot. Plenty of folks do it solo if u figure out the deal. It isn't that hard.
You should do a write up on it. Lots of people like me have little to no knowledge of this.

Jennifer-Marie

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The only time I have ever been teleported in Blackthorn's to the jail cells is when I was working a couple rooms on my tamer. I spent some time near the Balron and then went towards the maze where dragons are. I didn't move, but kept commanding my pet and after standing in one place for 10 minutes, I was teleported.

Whereas, I've spent upwards of two hours in the room where the Balron is and have never been teleported a single time.

I don't script. I don't AFK macro. I don't use third party programs (I use EC religiously and exclusively).

So:

1) No, I do not know what scripts can and cannot do since I don't, and have never, used them.
2) If people have such a problem with this, then perhaps post a thread on the official UO forums and tag the devs (Bleak, Kryonix, and Mesanna) and give them the myriad of reasons you have for why they should remove this feature from Blackthorns.

The devs don't pay attention to Stratics.

Whitewolf of *VK*

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have had this happen several times to me when im on my tamer, but when im using sampire to kill the gold elementals I have never had it happen, both playstyles im standing in one spot, difference is on my tamer im issuing commands to my pet, on my sampire im using abilities, thinking using abilities is the key to not being teleported.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My question about blackthorns has always been, why are the captains in the back so ridiculous. Not only do they have ridiculous HP but there is like 5-6 of them in a small confined area. Those Captians originally were part of a event where hundreds of people were fighting them at once. People don't have that ability even in a decent guild of up to 20-25 members. Even if they did have the people what are you gonna do split the 5-10 drops you get with 25 people, whats the point of doing it. They really need to take the level of captains down a few notches so that the content is even worth doing. I havnt seen someone in that area in over 6 years on several shards.
Our Guild does it as a hunt, every so often. We have no problem clearing out a city from start to finish with 5-6 people. I will say, that the Captains that have been there a while when we first start, ARE tougher than the ones that "turn" after killing their spawn. But completely doable.!

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Will do. Soon as I get time.
Sorry, didn’t mean to derail thread.
I’ll put it in warriors forum.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No this happens during normal gameplay. I'll hunt the golden elementals for gold ingots and after awhile get teleported to the dungeon. Nothing other than a UO classic macro for weapon special.

Stop the witch hunt.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If your on a stealther it happens often. I take my stealth thief down there and if I stop moving to blow my nose I’m either revealed or teleported. No biggie tho since I’ve got ninja & in unicorn form. Just open the door and walk out.

Small price to pay if it screws over AFKers.

And it goes without saying, I’ve never used anything but UO & UOA. Everyone that knows me knows how I feel abt 3rd pp & scripts.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The few times it happened to me was when I went to the entrance "safe area" and went afk for a bit. I was using EC. So to me it seemed to be designed to prevent people from going afk. If the intent was to stop scripters... well the results came out like many other things in UO.

Ikeelu

Visitor
This happens frequently at the front of the dungeon. Never had it happen at the captains. In fact I can afk time out at csptains and not get teleported to the brig in that time. Also there is no trick to captains except healing and no life leech on the necromancer and assassin. Once you run a few citys solo you’ll have the gist and can farm 100 artis a day or about 12/hr or more.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
This happens frequently at the front of the dungeon. Never had it happen at the captains. In fact I can afk time out at csptains and not get teleported to the brig in that time. Also there is no trick to captains except healing and no life leech on the necromancer and assassin. Once you run a few citys solo you’ll have the gist and can farm 100 artis a day or about 12/hr or more.
What happens with life leach on necros and assasins there?