• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

WWI Speculation Thread

E

Eldorian

Blizzard has been gradually updating their main page with a splash screen of ice that is breaking.

Some are speculating the announcement of the release date or beta for Wrath of the Lich King (I doubt it)

Some are speculating Diablo 3 (I find this one very plausible)

Some are speculating a new IP or the new next gen MMO we know they're making.

Thoughts? I'll post more later of the other fun things people have found, including the purple monster.

E

Emuishere

Diablo is plausible for sure...I just wonder if they are going to do an online version?

E

Eldorian

Diablo has always been online. It just depends on if they'll have the single player game and then use something like battle.net like they have in the past or if they're going to gear it more like a Guild Wars type title.

E

Eldorian

Ron Pardo at the GDC this week:

"So you want me to announce the game before our announcement?" he said. "No offense, but I think there's like 300 people here, and I'll be ripped apart by 8000 people there [at the Invitational] if I pre-announce it - but it's going to be really exciting. I think everybody here will be really excited about the announcement."

This definitely says a new game will be announced at the event, so this certainly proves that this isn't just a WOTLK announcement coming.

The purple monster:

If you look at the makings of the Blizzard splash page inside and out you'll see a reference to a CSS file called master.css. It's located here: http://us.media.blizzard.com/232309/master.css

Of note are images...

.tundra
.cavern
.icy

All are part of names from Act V (the final Act of Diablo 2).

All of these point to images (they're releaseing one per day)

If you put them together it kind of resembles maybe a purple walrus... Which is a trademark image of Michael Dashow who worked extensively on Diablo 2.

Also, the battle.net forums have hinted at Diablo 3 if you go to this link: http://www.battle.net/forums/board.aspx?ForumName=d3-general which would be the Diablo 3 general forums it says "forums are currently down" however if you go to any other made up name it gives a 404 error. So that is a guess that the forums are there, and just not turned on yet to the public.

E

Eldorian

With all of that said.. next update I have here or on the site... I'll be in Paris!

Everyone behave ;)

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Behave? With the possibility of a new Diablo nearing release?!

Killjoy. ;)

I

IsIkke

As much as I enjoyed Diablo, I surely hope it's not a new Diablo actualy.

As I said in several places:
DIABLO DIED IN 2, worldstone destroyed, diablo's soulstone destroyed, IT ENDED... prequel?: so basicly Tristram, without ppl knowing evil lurks below? no hero until the first in diablo 1.. so a farming game with demonic crops?

If it's Diablo 3, there's a way they have to deal with the fact that Diablo is dead, (beyond ressurection, seeing his soulstone is gone), either they have some lame method to bring him back or just blantly ignore this fact

new image is up btw...in the css you see some feet... I kinda hope it's a new playable race in WoW.. wich "might" make me return to WoW.

Sides a new Diablo coming, would destroy WoW's franchise. They'd be idiots if they compete away their own income... so in the end... I think it's not Diablo.

Perhaps a new game? Perhaps a release date of SC2?

edit: btw in the main page image of blizz, do you guys see some eyes too? or is that just me?

E

Eldorian

Ok, before I leave - yes, those look like eyes... they look like Protoss eyes to me... but they could be Diablo, they could be slits from Arthas's helmet.

Of note is this image of the official artwork for WWI - The fire in Diablo's hand seems to form a 3:

Some are speculating the Purple Monster might be an in game pet given away at WWI - here's a put together image so far:

L

Lord Abernathy

Man, only Blizzard can generate such hype with a splash teaser! lol

personally, I hope it's Diablo 3 since I loved both the 1st and 2nd.

/prays

P

Pashta

I highly doubt they would be announcing a Diablo game on the World of Warcraft website like that. It has to have something to do with WoW. If it was Diablo, it would be on Blizzard's main website or Diablo's website.

edit: I'm surprised that this is the case. I guess they are promoting it to the max LOL.

E

Eldorian

I highly doubt they would be announcing a Diablo game on the World of Warcraft website like that. It has to have something to do with WoW. If it was Diablo, it would be on Blizzard's main website or Diablo's website.

edit: I'm surprised that this is the case. I guess they are promoting it to the max LOL.
They did the same thing with Starcraft 2 last year in promotion.

Anyway, still dunno what that purple creature is - I'm guessing we're going to find out tomorrow as the buzz is that some big news will be announced for Wrath of the Lich King tomorrow since today they have been fairly mum about it.

P

Pashta

Hey maybe the ice breaking thing really was for WotLK and the Diablo announcement is separate? :)

E

Eldorian

Hey maybe the ice breaking thing really was for WotLK and the Diablo announcement is separate? :)
Nope. I was talking to Tseric yesterday about it and the ice breaking was definitely for Diablo. The Purple Penguin really has no rhyme and reason and he explained the story to me last night about it. I will be making a news article today on it. It's interesting but was pretty much there to just mess with people.

E

Eldorian

From my article regarding the purple penguin:

The night was then followed up by dinner again with the Blizzard community team. I was able to talk with Tseric and Nethera while there. First of all I had to brag to them about Diablo 3 being announced since the night before I kept trying to pull information from them and telling them it's Diablo 3 - with no success on getting information (and wasn't expecting to get it). So we discussed Diablo for a bit and that's when I started asking about the splash screen and the Purple Penguin which was hidden in the master.css file.

I was told the splash screen was obviously leading up to the Diablo announcement, but they did it in a way to make people wonder what it was. One of the things they pointed out that was funny was how WoW fans were saying it was Arthas, Starcraft fans were saying it was a Starcraft MMO, and Diablo fans guessed right that it was Diablo 3. The runes didn't have much of a rhyme or reason other than just mess with the people who wanted to speculate on what it was.

This is when I realized that pretty much everyone has forgotten about the hidden purple penguin in the master.css file so I asked about that. I was told that the web team had wanted to do something just to mess with people. They had an artist who had done some early work on Wrath of the Lich King and he had drawn this evil looking purple penguin which had nothing to do with anything Blizzard was doing. The web team really liked the picture so they decided to use it. The numbers didn't correspond with any letters like speculators were believing, they were simply the numbers from the Lost TV series. All of this was put together by the web team just to simply mess with people and cause further speculation on what it could mean for their own enjoyment to see how people would react.

And this my friends is why I like Blizzard so much and why I've been playing their games for the last 15 years. Not only do they make brilliant games, but they have fun doing it.

P

Pashta

Nice article! Yep, I love that they have a sense of humor. It makes it all the more interesting. :)

L

Lord Abernathy

haha, yeah, you gotta love Blizzard's awesome sense of humor.....one of the reasons i love this company...their april's fool day gimmicks are always cool too. :thumbup: