• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

WoW Stratics Podcast #5 - UK Service Price Changes!

Metro

WoW Staff Writer | WoW Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Recently Blizzard revealed that World of Warcraft would see price changes to services for players living within the United Kingdom. With many of the prices going up by one or two Pounds (GBP), we thought it would be a good time to address this change and what it means for both those affected AND those in other regions. It’s a change that could affect you in the near future and ultimately be a vision of things to come. For a full list of the changes please check it out the following link :

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10368429470?page=1

Do YOU want to be a guest on the show? Have some questions that you want answered on the Podcast? Drop us a line @ [email protected]. We are currently working towards making the podcast a much more focused venture and would like to include the community we do reach in this building process. With your help we can shape the WoW.Stratics podcast into something tailored to what YOU want to listen to, and grow it to new audiences. So don’t hesitate! Ask away.

kopitarrules

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
A few things, first i believe Metro is correct in that they are using England as a guinea pig and that these prices will eventually land stateside (and hence worldwide), second I think the "entertainment value for the dollar" statement was quite telling and here is how. I think blizzard believes that the services that they raised the prices on, are NOT good for entertainment value, ie they think that the rest of the community suffers when people buy these services. For instance if a paid name change was only a buck, think how toxic it could be to the community if some of these trolls could change their name EVERY day for only a buck.It would turn the game into a joke it really really would. I think Blizzard thinks somewhere in their heads that to make these services punishingly expense, so that they are used sparingly, is in the best interest of the gaming community. Call me a blizzard shill or fanboy all you want it is the only explanation I can think of as to why they would raise prices on what they did, and leave prices alone on what they did. Obviously they do not WANT people to use the services they have raised the prices on (and conversely DO want people to continue to use the services they didn't raise the prices of) in their minds it must be a better alternative to getting rid of the services all together. (Just think how much worse the uproar would be then.) It is something we have seen blizzard doing before, trying to test the waters to see if they can phase out parts of the game they do not like or consider a mistake that they ever introduced (aka flying in WoD). It, to me, can be the only explanation.

Metro

WoW Staff Writer | WoW Moderator
Stratics Veteran
For instance if a paid name change was only a buck, think how toxic it could be to the community if some of these trolls could change their name EVERY day for only a buck.It would turn the game into a joke it really really would. It is something we have seen blizzard doing before, trying to test the waters to see if they can phase out parts of the game they do not like or consider a mistake that they ever introduced (aka flying in WoD). It, to me, can be the only explanation.
Ya know what man, you just may be right. Really interesting point of view. I had not considered that until you brought it up!
Glad to see you here as well.