• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Peacemaking] Wow, I had no idea that raising Peacemaking was harder than Provocation or Discording

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I decided to work my Peacemaking from 105 to 120 and was very much surprised to see how quite slower it is to rase than, for example, Provocation or Discordance.

I am quite surprised by this finding as I thought Provocation and Discordance were harder and longer to raise than Peacemaking.

I am Peacing high end beasts like Cu Sidhes, not myself, so I expected it to go up rather smoothly but instead it takes hours to get a 0.1 gain........

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Normally its the easier of the 3 skills, but then again I'm just area peacing everywhere I go except populated areas such as Luna, WBB or if there are tamers nearby. If you have UOAssist, just make a macro to area peace and map it to one of your thumb buttons on your mouse if you have a mouse with those buttons.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Normally its the easier of the 3 skills, but then again I'm just area peacing everywhere I go except populated areas such as Luna, WBB or if there are tamers nearby. If you have UOAssist, just make a macro to area peace and map it to one of your thumb buttons on your mouse if you have a mouse with those buttons.

I am not saying it is difficult in the sense of more complicated, just saying that gains appear, at least to me, to be quite slower than with Provocation and Discordance.....

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry, I was referring to it as being normally the easier of the 3 to gain in skill since you can do it anywhere you want, and usually the per hour gain is higher if all you do is area peace compaired to provo and disco.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
targeted peacing gives you one gain chance against the one critter and uses the barding difficulty to check for skill gain and then rolls to see if you get it.

area peace gains 100 times faster being that it a) only has have the wait time that targeted peace has and, B) im allmost willing to start the rumor that it does a check against ALL of the critters on your screen.

either way, i know that to go from 33 skills in peace to 120 takes like 2 days.
to go from 33 skill in provo or disco take a lot longer.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
targeted peacing gives you one gain chance against the one critter and uses the barding difficulty to check for skill gain and then rolls to see if you get it.

area peace gains 100 times faster being that it a) only has have the wait time that targeted peace has and, B) im allmost willing to start the rumor that it does a check against ALL of the critters on your screen.

You mean the best and fastest way to raise Peacemaking is NOT peacing high end beasts but oneself ?
And if one is in an area with many beasts it is even faster as it checks all beasts on screen?

Really ?

I had no idea.

As in regards to making Peacemaking 120 in only 2 days well, in a week working on it I only went from 105 to 110............

J

jelinidas

Set a macro up, like shift+Z, area peace. Just use it all the time or cram a quarter in the keyboard. :next:

O

Old Man of UO

I went to 115 Peace (my cap) as fast as music was being raised, like you said less than 2 days. I just set a macro to do a next target - use skill - target last and held it down as I walked spawns. The difference is that I didn't have to manually target. Either way, it shouldn't take more than a few days of active training to max out Peacemaking skill.

F

Fink

My first bard I just area-peaced because I had to (there was no targeting back then), my second I area-peaced too, seemed to be less hassle than targeting.

O

Old Man of UO

My first bard I just area-peaced because I had to (there was no targeting back then), my second I area-peaced too, seemed to be less hassle than targeting.
That is why you use a macro to target for you... no hassle at all!

F

Fink

That is why you use a macro to target for you... no hassle at all!
It's not setting up the macro I couldn't be bothered with, it's setting up the targets. I'd rather have a macro (area peace) that I can hit anytime, anywhere without being locked into a strict training régime.

O

Old Man of UO

It's not setting up the macro I couldn't be bothered with, it's setting up the targets. I'd rather have a macro (area peace) that I can hit anytime, anywhere without being locked into a strict training régime.
You lost me... with the right macro you don't set up any targets.
In 2D: Next Target, use skill - Peace, wait for target, Target last.

That way, it always moves to the next available target, even if it is you for the area peace. Then just hold the macro key down as you travel about.

R

RichDC

That way, it always moves to the next available target, even if it is you for the area peace. Then just hold the macro key down as you travel about.
Could you replace target last with target self and have a designated area peace macro?

O

Old Man of UO

Could you replace target last with target self and have a designated area peace macro?
Actually you can, easier since you won't need the next target command. Just Use Skill (or instrument for UO Assist) and target self. It's been a while since I've used 2D, but I had a macro like that.... great for emergencies, not just training.

The KR is macro is easier to make, but basically the same thing.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

you got that right I can 120 peace in 2-3 days and provo took me way way way longer am working disco now and its almost as slow as provo

W

Whinemaker

Same problem... been running around the Oaks spawn area peacing, gained only 0.2 (at 107.2 now) after going through 3 normal instruments (roughly 1200 charges). During that span music only went up 0.4 (at 110.1 now).

For those of you who got it done in 2-3 days... how many hours per day do you train/macro? (Not being sarcastic... well ok just a bit about the macroing... but anyway just want to know the total hours involved.)

O

Old Man of UO

Same problem... been running around the Oaks spawn area peacing, gained only 0.2 (at 107.2 now) after going through 3 normal instruments (roughly 1200 charges). During that span music only went up 0.4 (at 110.1 now).

For those of you who got it done in 2-3 days... how many hours per day do you train/macro? (Not being sarcastic... well ok just a bit about the macroing... but anyway just want to know the total hours involved.)
I did it in a few hours per day (don't remember an exact count) and all of it legal like. I went to 115.1 then stoned it. I mixed in area peace and use of a macro to automatically target the next un-peaced creature.

My question for you is what technique you are using? Try using found slayer instruments (opposite alignment if possible to get the negative penalty). And last but not least, I hope you aren't manually targeting.

W

Whinemaker

Thanks Old Man...

I just run around Lord Oak's doing area peace over and over with some normal instruments, that's the thickest of spawn I can think of without putting myself in any danger and without doing some of those release 10 tamed pets somewhere technique.

I use KR, and have a macro set up like "Use Skill, Peace, Target Self, Delay 5", looped like 500 times or something in 1 one push. That's pretty much it, then I just run around and hope I get the most from the spawn.

At this rate I think I'm just gonnna shelf the bard and hope I get it done by next summer through GGS.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Try using found slayer instruments (opposite alignment if possible to get the negative penalty). And last but not least, I hope you aren't manually targeting.

In what way exactly does, using opposite alignment instruments, help in gaining skill because of the negative penalty ?

Can you please make an example with numbers ?

You also say not to manually target. Do you mean that better gains are obtained with opposite alignment slayer instruments using them to target self for Area Peacing ?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
k

i dont use the opposite slayer group training, but its pretty easy to understand why it would look like it would work.

i just dont use it cause im old and set in my ways.

at any rate, using a opposing slayer instrament drops your ability to peace (or disco or provo for that matter) by like 20% (or something like that)

its the same deal if you have a Fey Slayer weapon in your hand and get hit by a demon, they do double damge to ya.
(repond vs undead you get the jist)

so that theory is that you fill your pack with spayer instraments that you find laying around on corpses of low end critters.
then go somewhere where the spawn is opposite of all the ones ya have in your pack.

then you play your macro.
the theory is that you will gain faster cause your % is lowered by using the opposite slayer group.

that said, ive never noticed a difference.
i know there was a fella at one time he figured he could screw around with his music level and drop it as he disco (or peace or provo) gained while using an opposite slayer and he figured he could GM - 120 off of a low end animal like a polar bear.

right off the bat id say bull, cause once you go below GM music you run the risk of missing the first check in the skill which is the music check.

meh.

O

Old Man of UO

You are quite right, Poo. That's exactly how I use slayer instruments, and they are easy to find. If you don't have the right group for training then the slayer just acts like a regular instrument. You will only find a difference if you can get your success rate down to the 40% - 60% range, otherwise it's not going to work.

I've never believed in dropping skills or locking them at GM for faster gains, stoning skills, etc. I started before soul stones were available and can deal just fine without them for training. My skills have never been stuck and I can always gain faster than the GGS, just by trying something new.

Popps, I don't have numbers for you. My best word of advice is if what you are doing isn't gaining skill fast enough (or at all) try something else to find what works for you.

W

Whinemaker

But is there anything wrong with just going around area-peacing anything you can find?
I spent an hour last night area-peacing at Lord Oak's again and all I got was 0.1 (still around 107-ish).
Have I hit a "wall", or is it always this slow?

O

Old Man of UO

Hmm... it wasn't always that slow. I worked Peacemaking about a year ago, went to 115.1 in 3 or 4 days and locked it. I mixed in area peace and direct targeting via macro. If something has changed in the skill it certainly wasn't announced. I never hit a "skill wall." Dunno...

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
But is there anything wrong with just going around area-peacing anything you can find?
I spent an hour last night area-peacing at Lord Oak's again and all I got was 0.1 (still around 107-ish).
Have I hit a "wall", or is it always this slow?
are you peacing there when its just pixies and wisps? if so try going a little harder say ogre lords, lich lords, meer eternals, fan dancers,dragons etc

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
one more thing it always seems to take forever if you just stay in one place! change the scenery up wonder around just dont sit at the keyboard staring at the same place all the time! thats a good way to go nuts lol

W

Whinemaker

are you peacing there when its just pixies and wisps? if so try going a little harder say ogre lords, lich lords, meer eternals, fan dancers,dragons etc
one more thing it always seems to take forever if you just stay in one place! change the scenery up wonder around just dont sit at the keyboard staring at the same place all the time! thats a good way to go nuts lol
Thanks guys... and see this is the thing, I thought area peace is not difficulty based? That means I should gain as easily from pixies as from ancient wyrms shouldn't I? To back my theory, the spawn at Lord Oak's usually goes from Pixies to Serpentine Dragons when I work my peace making, but I'm still gaining the same.

As for staying in one place... I'm just doing it so that I get to grab the gold when the champ drops lol.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm... it wasn't always that slow. I worked Peacemaking about a year ago, went to 115.1 in 3 or 4 days and locked it. I mixed in area peace and direct targeting via macro. If something has changed in the skill it certainly wasn't announced. I never hit a "skill wall." Dunno...
I've got a number of tamers with peacemaking, with seven of them having legendary music and peacemaking. It certainly feels as if the barding gains pile up slower now than they used to. It's gotten to the point where I'm happy to just get 5-6 each of music and peace gains in an hour of taming unicorns and area peacing repeatedly while looking for the next unicorn to tame. I don't even try any more to finish off the music and peacemaking first before working on the character's other skills, it just doesn't seem to work like it used to....goes way too slow even though you'd expect it to go faster based on the low total skills. The gains are fairly consistent until you hit the high 80s and then they just start to crawl. And since I can't stand to just sit and watch a character doing basically nothing, I just give up and start working on the other skills so I can feel like the character is becoming usable (i.e., taming, killing, looting for gold and leather to contribute to get a bird slayer talisman).

Once you get music over GM, even if it's only around 103-104, and use a slayer weapon or an exceptional crafted weapon, you can still be fairly effective with area peacing even though peacemaking skill isn't quite GM'd.

I say don't sweat it so much, popps, and just go have fun. You'll just make yourself miserable obsessively watching for that next gain. You WILL hit legendary music and/or peacemaking soon enough and definitely a lot sooner than you'll hit legendary taming.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
get a boat and do the 8x8 thing it still works!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
??????????????????????

Wasn't it changed a few patches ago ???
Officially eliminated about 4 years ago, if I recall correctly. But moving around while peacemaking isn't a bad idea! I'd rather do it with spawn around though. Destard is good, as long as you're not annoying the heck out of everyone else in there by area peacing.

F

Fink

That's the macro I had. I even had a provoke one that handled two targets that way. It's pretty simple stuff.

I meant "setting up targets" in the context of finding suitable targets for difficulty (eg: taming & releasing a pen full of creatures or working a specific spawn). Best gains for targeted peace are within a certain range of difficulty, I didn't want to restrict myself that way or waste random peacing attempts on bunnies & birds.

I don't specifically set about to have training sessions for skills, I just train as I go about whatever else I'm into. Area peace was better suited for it.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
This was posted today by Draconni In response to a RNG question
This is less the RNG, and more about the resource system.

Let's break down Trammel, for instance. Trammel is 7,168 x 4,096 tiles (including the dungeon areas east of the oceans).

One thing you'll notice in common amongst all the maps is that they're evenly divisible by 8. We call 8x8 areas of the map "chunks", and this is where the ever popular old "8x8'ing" got its name.

What we do is divide every map into these chunks, and assign each chunk its own set of resources. These resources can be anything from a given amount of ore, lumber, water, fish - even skillpoints. When a player performs a related action, like fishing, the following things happen:

* Is the tile the player chose a water tile?
* Does this kind of water tile have a resource type associated with it? Like fish?
* Query the entire chunk to see if there are any fish left. If so, give one and subtract from the total available to the 8x8 area.

When the chunk runs out of fish, you need to move to a new chunk to get more. Obviously, chunks refresh their resources over time, or the world would be very quickly fished out.

There are many reasons the resources are handled this way, but would be as equal in scope as explaining the RNG (the topic of the day). Just think of it as way easier for the server to handle 450,000+ chunks instead of assigning resources directly to nearly 29,000,000+

end quete
So I guess you wouldnt call it 8x8 but it does confirm each recourse (8x8) or (Chunk) can potentially have a certain number of skill points to give out there for moving can help with gains!

here is the whole link
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=144665

W

Whinemaker

Just tried 8x8 last night, and nope it didn't work.

Tagged along when my friend went fishing. Slow Forward, south. Area peace.

Result: 0.2 (and 0.2 music too) after 4 normal, store bought instruments (roughly 1600-1700 charges in total). I'm at 108.9 now.

It's either area peace doesn't gain as well as people say it does, or my char is broken. (By the way I've also been target peace-ing things I have a 50-70% chance to peace... and still no luck. And for you believers... I have already killed my char at least 3 times by now.)

O

Orlacc

Re: Wow, I had no idea that raising Peacemaking was harder than Provocation or Discor

Sometimes dying will result in faster gains after a rez.

Gusten

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: Wow, I had no idea that raising Peacemaking was harder than Provocation or Discor

For me, peace was quicker than disco and provo. I have music locked at 100, disco is at 116 and provo 114. Peace is at 120, and I've spent much less time on it than on disco/provo. I just stood in my house (I have some vendors and a barkeep which is probably why AE peace worked), and peaced myself. Reason it went up quicker, if you ask me, is that the timer is only 6 seconds if you peace succesfully, which you always do at higher levels and nothing hard is around you. Therefore, you train twice as often as you do when training provo or disco.

Maybe not very helpful advice, I'm just sharing my experience here.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I wonder, why you can gain with area peace at all after reaching gm peace. It is said, that you dont fail anymore on area peace with gm music + peace. Considering that you shouldnt be able to gain that way.
Another thing I am wondering about is legendary music. While I understand its impact on difficulty based gaining (target peace, disco + provo), I am not shure, how it might work with area peace.
As for faster gains with area peace .... has someone tried to get discorded by a satyr before peacing? Basicly that should work wonders. (But you might want to adjust music with jewelry up to gm to bypass the first skill check.)

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor

getting yourself discorded only lowers the stuff you are working on.
example.
you are at GM provo and you go get discoed.
now you can train on polar bears again.

what would this do for area peace?
well, your total unmodidied points are still the same, so it wouldnt drop you to a lower RNG rung.

so then the question comes back to what area peace checks to do its skill check.

i can tell you this.
when i went through and made a legendary bard on every north american shard, when i did peace, i never moved and there was nothing on my screen.
i just area peaced and paused and 10 seconds and then away i went again.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor

on a side note.

from a person that has 120's peace like 20 times, it definatlly got harder like around 6-8 months ago.

you use to be able to 120 it in like a day.
now it takes a good 2-3 even up to 4 solid days to train it.

not sure what changed.
but something did.

G

GilliamUO

This is no help at all to this thrend but thought i'll add it anyway.

I desided a couple days ago to drop Lock picking and cart from a char and turn his pure mage bard .

He was allready 7xgm . went looking for music power scroll found a couple around the 4 million mark , as i don't have 4 million got 115 for 400thousend.

used that bought peace and disco to 33, put my ship out just off njelm docks , set sail south on slow. made self peace macro in uo assit Had around 15 drums on me . had this going as i watched last weeks heroes on the TV, nodded off to sleep.4/5 hours later i woke to a 99.7 peacemaker. and 108.2 music. all in all was a nice nap :lick: