• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

WOW again

Setanta

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After years if hearing how wonderful WOW is, the missus downloaded it (for 3 days on a DSL link, dialup users don't bother!) and started it. That game really sucks! The graphics are crap, much like Nintendo games. The user interface is really primitive, a lot like games that came out when mouse use was rare. No houses, you can't have anything you can't carry. I don't understand why anyone would quit UO for that game.

T

Tak

lol..i played games where mouses where rare and trust me, that interface rocks like KR interface does.
I cant resists..everytime i hear WOW...ggghaagaaa...

In fact WOW is the most polished game made last 20 years. WOW is brilliant. They created a game which makes even a low IQ banana think it is a hero.
Difficulty level is zero. But the thing is, people dont notice it and dont want to notice it. Its a game made for the masses and they put everything in they found in other mmorpgs or fantasy books (even the whole artas story is a f..copy).

From a programmers side you have to say "WOW is awesome!". Yes, GFX are like in a comic, but its a style which will last for years which are centuries in the gaming industry. One of the rare games which have a real own gxf style.

UO has its own style too and i think they made a nice jump to KR. The problem? UO has no f... story. There is no HERO feeling anymore. UO has been originaly designed for weekly events, made by GM's which arent anymore. What producers havent noticed: that "few" 2% who took part on weekly events where the 2% who created other public events or provided the stories and entertained the rest of players. Even the pure item farmers took advatage of it. Items without a background lose value.
Producers removed GM's and didnt replace that holes with scripted events.
If they dont remove that mistake with SA, UO will go down in flames.
Even mmorpgs for casuals do a better job.

Anyway, WOW is a boring hit 6 button mess but still more interesting then doing always the same thing again while waiting 2 months for the next little event:p
UO has been designed for events made by GM's. It has been designed as flexible world. Today UO feels zombified. You wait two months for a little update while WOW comes with a new storyline and new island? A week later with new talents?
Sad thing is, you dont NEED a new island and crap if there is something little going on regulary.

I dont believe its realy a matter of "Yeah, Bliz has millions a month and Myth 6$". If it is that hard to create 3 quests in two months in a mmorpg then there is something terrible wrong with the editors. Not a matter of millions. Guerillas are flexible!!

Btw...LOTRO rocks WOW big time and thats where most UO guys most likely are now. Because UO was an RPG and LOTRO offers food for RPGamers.

Why i think theres is something wrong with UO now? Well, people dont even like to rant...a bad sign:p

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To show you what your saying, lest rewind to 2 months after Everquest went live, in UO.

I am returning because I can not stand multiple camera views. if it is not a top down view I won't ever play it.

I am returning because you don't use the mouse to move.

I am returning because you don't get a house.

I am returning because you can only have so many items and no more.

So, in short, the issue is that you prefer the UO format. You feel the need to demean the far larger majority of people because they do not share your perspective.

Let me describe something to you.

You enter a vast plain dotted with trees and animals and people wondering around. You are at their level and can not see over them to what may or may not be behind them. Don't worry as it wont really matter as your perspective allows variations in height. meaning you need to look up to see the tops of tall things.

You notice the clouds moving and forming the Rains and the Sun sets. It is now dark, the kind of darkness that is caused by a hard rain at night. You must make your way regardless. You do what you can to see through the rain but the visibility is seriously hampered.

As your running your not quite sure you know exactly were you are, the darn rain is making it very hard to get your bearings.

You begin to see a Tall shape in the distance, it is very indistinct what it is.

It could be the Tree trunks that make up the city your going to.

it could just as easily be one of the roaming Cyclops that can One hit you into the ground.

Is it moving or is that just the rain playing tricks on you.

You walk now instead of run focusing on the Tall shape doing everything in your power to make out which it is.

This time it turns out to be the Tree trunks Towering over you and you enter the city.