• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Worth Coming Back?

W

Wallenstein

I was just debating whether to re-join UO and start up a few blue characters. I was heavily a red for the last two years I played (2005-2006) but sold my account and all of my stuff when I quit. I'd played since the day of the AoS launch and built up a ton of stuff over the time, which sucks because I'll be coming back with nothing now.

But regardless I just thought of UO and now have this urge to play it. I don't like freeshards much since nobody I knew from UO plays them. I was on Great Lakes as Sid, Wallenstein, and Masamune (mule).

Is this game even worth coming back to.. honestly? I checked uo-auction2.com and it completely died so it looks like that "aspect of the game" is no more. UO-Stratics hasn't updated any news for Great Lakes in two months (last article is from 4-30-2008).. and the shard forums look really inactive.

How much worse is the economy now than it was in April of 2006? Are there more ridiculously lame artifacts than in 2006? And most of all, how easy is it to simply walk into Trammel or Malas and place a house? That is the most tell-tale sign of a dead shard to me.

Thanks,
S/W

Alvinho

Great Lakes Forever!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was just debating whether to re-join UO and start up a few blue characters. I was heavily a red for the last two years I played (2005-2006) but sold my account and all of my stuff when I quit.
I seem to remember you owning a luna shop on the south side of Great Lakes that became owned by OSI, Im not makeing any accusations but homes that become owned by OSI are from banned accounts. Once banned I believe the rules say that you are not allowed to play anymore, especially since that banning was due to the same thing that there is a outbreak about now

S

Sheridan

Im not makeing any accusations but homes that become owned by OSI are from banned accounts. Once banned I believe the rules say that you are not allowed to play anymore, especially since that banning was due to the same thing that there is a outbreak about now
Actually, you are making accusations. The statement you quoted indicates that this person sold their account. What happened with it after that shouldn't be attributed to the original owner so why bother bringing it up?

G

galefan2004

How much worse is the economy now than it was in April of 2006? Are there more ridiculously lame artifacts than in 2006? And most of all, how easy is it to simply walk into Trammel or Malas and place a house? That is the most tell-tale sign of a dead shard to me.
You have to remember that these are the "temporary" Stratics Forums in a lof people's minds so they are probably not posting that much. Most people sell items in game instead of UO Auction now. Luna has become the great flea market for UO.

The economy isn't that bad. On popular shards its still kind of strong. Most of the items that once were inflated beyond compare are now reasonable thanks mostly to the Doom change. Did you play ML? Not many more artifacts have been added since ML, and none of them are oped.

I placed my house on Legends. There is plenty of room in Malas on Legends. GL might be a little bit harder to find a house in. Legends is more on the dead side then GL by far. GL would probably be the second most populated shard (behind Atlantic).

G

galefan2004

I seem to remember you owning a luna shop on the south side of Great Lakes that became owned by OSI, Im not makeing any accusations but homes that become owned by OSI are from banned accounts. Once banned I believe the rules say that you are not allowed to play anymore, especially since that banning was due to the same thing that there is a outbreak about now
If the rules say this (which IMO they shouldn't) then explain why they let you open new accounts with the same personal information. Banning someone for life for an infraction is kind of like putting someone to death for stealing. If you think people can't learn to play by the rules eventually then you are wrong.

Desperado_SE

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im not makeing any accusations but homes that become owned by OSI are from banned accounts. Once banned I believe the rules say that you are not allowed to play anymore, especially since that banning was due to the same thing that there is a outbreak about now
Actually, you are making accusations. The statement you quoted indicates that this person sold their account. What happened with it after that shouldn't be attributed to the original owner so why bother bringing it up?
Probably bringing it up because there is no real way for anyone here (including you Moderators) to prove or disprove that the OP actually did quit and that it was another person who got banned.

Zero

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I came back 3 weeks ago, after 2 years.

I need to tame a greater dragon and a warhorse.

Need to sort my BODs.

Allready got 3 arties in Doom.

Been wandering through the revamped landscape, visiting old places.

Placed a 8 x 8 in some desolate corner of Fire Island, but i've seen better spots allready. Not quite 18 x 18 though :D

I'm hunting in the old Trammel dungeons for the new artifacts.

And i'm absolutely in love again.

Be sure to remember to exercise and breath fresh air!

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still enjoying it immensely, so yup, I'd say it's definitely worth coming back.

Economy - Inflation has skyrocket-ted.

By ridiculously lame, do you mean over-powered or under-powered ones? Some pretty powerful items from the ML add-on, but lately, we are getting more of the latter though. Scout suits that you can't stealth properly in with 80 stealth (being fixed though), mage suits that would under perform a suit cobbled together from crappy runics rejects, dragon slaying longsword that looks wonderful, but swings extremely slowly etc...but crafting's changed, so crafted items can turn out pretty well.

You should be able to place a small house fairly easily, as there were some recent changes that restricts 15 day trial accounts from placing houses.A good number of folks are using these accounts to hold houses. Note - this will also apply to you too if you start a new account. Can't place one for the first 15 days. Larger plots will need more time.

GL's still pretty active.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Probably bringing it up because there is no real way for anyone here (including you Moderators) to prove or disprove that the OP actually did quit and that it was another person who got banned.
My understanding is that UO and these forums are both based out of America. And in this country we have an old saying "innocent until proven guilty." And don't you forget it.

G

galefan2004

I came back 3 weeks ago, after 2 years.

I need to tame a greater dragon and a warhorse.
What server do you play on? If its Legends I'll gladly get on my tamer and hook you up. I can get you a fresh tame war horse and greater. My old greater is still in the stables but its fully trained with decent resist and isn't going anywhere for under 1 million gold.

J

Joyous2K

I was just debating whether to re-join UO and start up a few blue characters. I was heavily a red for the last two years I played (2005-2006) but sold my account and all of my stuff when I quit. I'd played since the day of the AoS launch and built up a ton of stuff over the time, which sucks because I'll be coming back with nothing now.

But regardless I just thought of UO and now have this urge to play it. I don't like freeshards much since nobody I knew from UO plays them. I was on Great Lakes as Sid, Wallenstein, and Masamune (mule).

Is this game even worth coming back to.. honestly? I checked uo-auction2.com and it completely died so it looks like that "aspect of the game" is no more. UO-Stratics hasn't updated any news for Great Lakes in two months (last article is from 4-30-2008).. and the shard forums look really inactive.

Thanks,
S/W
Don't come back.

G

galefan2004

My understanding is that UO and these forums are both based out of America. And in this country we have an old saying "innocent until proven guilty." And don't you forget it.
The poster that posted this is apparently on some kind of rid UO of all scripters kick without realising that more scripters pay to play this game then non-scripters, so I'd have to say they seem to be just lashing out whereever they can.

W

Wallenstein

Well first off I did not ever own a house in Luna, that was Walleye. I've been confused with him thousands of times. He's not me :)

As for "lame" artifacts, I meant just those colorful glowing things that look completely unrealistic that got added with ML and Samurai Empire.. "Ice white" axes, "glacier blue" hammers, whatever they were.. Needless to say I never got into them.

But if I did come back I'd probably buy a vet account since I'd like to start off where I left off with an account able to ride ethereals. It would be bollocks to restart from scratch with a 0-year account.

I'll download the client today and setup a trial account. If all is well I'll probably get a vet account and get back into the swing of things. I'm mainly just interested in being a rares dealer like I was a long time ago, but God knows how much the economy has crashed with duping, etc. since I've left.

To be honest, the number one thing pulling me back to the game is the freaking soundtrack. That Britain theme song and the song that plays in Moonglow have some sort of effect on my brain that makes me want to play UO. Brings back memories of the old days.

Thanks,
Wallenstein

E

Eslake

If the rules say this (which IMO they shouldn't) then explain why they let you open new accounts with the same personal information.QUOTE]

It is in the ULA. That is the difference between a "Suspension" and a "Ban."
I don't know this guy or who his characters are/were, so I won't say he has done anything - except maybe kill my miner or lumberjack on occasion ;) .

Is It Worth It?
I've been back a few days myself. I've placed a 16x15 (still looking for a good 18x18 spot) and have my smith working up his BODs again. Rebuilding my knight to use Lumber&Axe. Changing my Fisherman up a bit. Got the 7th slot and storage upgrade so I can finally make a thief again.

If you tame. There is an upgraded version of Nightmare and Dragon now. 3lots and 5slots respectively.
It looks like Swoop got a powerup so he isn't farmed 23/7 anymore.
Doom-style arti drops in all the anti-virtue dungeons now.
And if you tame, there are upgraded versions of the nightmare and dragon now (3 and 5 slots respectively)

And it looks like they did another round of clearing out the trash by bombing the luna houses of certain cheaters. Though I still see scripters mining and farming artis in Shame with hide + pets.

S

Sunrise

Yes its worth coming back. its not the cutting edge game as it used to be and has more bugs than my farm fields...

But for some reason. It does bring back fond memories and fun to just run around and see whats going on.

Kinda like you always go back and look at your old collections. Play with them for a bit. Then put them back on thy shell for a few more years.

G

GAMBIT35

Nope. You left when the game was pretty good. It's worse now than when you left it.

Zero

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What server do you play on? If its Legends I'll gladly get on my tamer and hook you up. I can get you a fresh tame war horse and greater. My old greater is still in the stables but its fully trained with decent resist and isn't going anywhere for under 1 million gold.
thanks! i'm on Europa though :D and looking forward to taming 'em myself.

Zero

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not worth coming back.

it's not worth playing, but it's worth hanging arounds it's boards?

hah!

even people who DON'T like this game play it apparantly. Them, and we who DO love it.