• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

WoD not working on Dinos?

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Last night I used WoD several times on an Allosaurus and there was no damage. I have 120 Spellweaving, p;enty of mana and it was below 30% health.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Last night I used WoD several times on an Allosaurus and there was no damage. I have 120 Spellweaving, p;enty of mana and it was below 30% health.
Did you have a Lvl 6 focus? If no focus, or no lvl 6, then the percentage of life left, at which time WoD becomes effective, scales back accordingly. IE: lvl 5 focus=25%, lvl 4=20%,....

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I feel dinos are totally overpowered and even with the best dog... they are way too hard to kill for way too little reward.

Just not worth the time.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With a 6 Focus you can use WoD at 32% health left, with none it's about 6-10% health left.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I feel dinos are totally overpowered and even with the best dog... they are way too hard to kill for way too little reward.

Just not worth the time.
The tough dinosaur do poison damage. Most dogs have 45 poison resist. Run consume and heal a few times and the dog is fine. Use a pet with poison resist to kill them with less damage taken.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was using a Bane Dragon which there highly resistant to damage type. Without AI it would of never died. Was going for Huntsman trophy or I would never bother with them

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
The tough dinosaur do poison damage. Most dogs have 45 poison resist. Run consume and heal a few times and the dog is fine. Use a pet with poison resist to kill them with less damage taken.
Do Frost Beetles rock them? I saw a Fzz Frost beetle kill 3 Allosaurus ganging it at turtle spawn. I though I was seing things, but not sure if tamer had consume on the little bug or not.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
The way the system works now for SW SUCKS! Main reason is no other players around in low pop shards to help with focus to get to lev 6, that does any damage albeit sucky at lev 6 also. Also the other offensive SW spells are not extremely hot even at lev 6. The perks do not last too long at all. Looks like someone made a real intentional effort, and did not have to strain too hard to cr*p on SW. They should at least allow lv 6 focus on all 120 SW players.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stone SW, get 4 others to go to Brit and cast Circle, then put SW back on and you have a 6.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
I think that's part of the reason why the passive aspect of the spellweaving mastery makes it much, much easier to get a lvl 6, for yourself, anyway. Not to argue that spellweaving could use a little devlove (mostly because I like it), but it does offer some good utility and the dmg output from WoD alone makes it worthwhile as it is... Especially for 120 skill points. It would be neat if the other 'offensive' spells were a little more viable, rather than just serving as seldomly used aoe debuffs. But I guess even then they do fill a niche!

Last edited:

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What’s the max damage of WOD you have seen? Mine is 520. I think some guys do better.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
If you load on the sdi with a lvl 6 arcane empowerment and reaper form, you can hit some really big numbers. I screenshotted my highest, and was quite proud of it, but it was long enough ago that I've since forgot. I believe with gear available now you can actually reach some sort of single-hit dmg cap, but I may have heard wrong.

what I've never understood is if WoD deals 100% chaos damage, why does every sequential cast when chained on the same target hit for the same amount?

-- Edit: so a quick review of the spell informed me that wod does deal direct damage in pve, which is cool. I was under the impression that the change from direct to chaos back in the days of wod archers at ml release still stood to this day. I attributed the duplicate damage numbers for rng 'streakiness' but I'm happy I was wrong.

Does anyone know if the rumour of a hard single-hit damage cap has any validity?

Last edited:

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Last I heard there is no SDI cap. Without a Slayer current avaible stuff I think you can get 150 SDI increase. Never heard of Hard Damage Cap for a single spell. Only problem with the SW mastery on a tamer, is if you get your focus from the mastery and switch mastery the focus goes poof.

Spell Weaving only spells I use on my tamer is WoD, Reaper Form, Gift of Life, Renewal, and Attunement for the 60hp Physical Shield, and once in awhile immolate weapon to swat mongbats and stuff (adds 17 fire damage at 120/lvl 6 focus)

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
What’s the max damage of WOD you have seen? Mine is 520. I think some guys do better.
It all depends on your SDI and focus of 6 ofc. Try to see what happens when you load SDI of 100 or more. Your eyes will pop out. Its the other AoE stuff that kind of sucks. Cannot compare with necro, but necro uses 240 points? For low pop shards its hard to get 4 players of any skill level to do circle. This is why they need to change focus to get 6 by yourself IF 120. I wish.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Last I heard there is no SDI cap. Without a Slayer current avaible stuff I think you can get 150 SDI increase. Never heard of Hard Damage Cap for a single spell. Only problem with the SW mastery on a tamer, is if you get your focus from the mastery and switch mastery the focus goes poof.

Spell Weaving only spells I use on my tamer is WoD, Reaper Form, Gift of Life, Renewal, and Attunement for the 60hp Physical Shield, and once in awhile immolate weapon to swat mongbats and stuff (adds 17 fire damage at 120/lvl 6 focus)
Does the Slayer property work with WOD? !!!
Never tried it, and would be awesome, as long as the book you carry has some SDI on it also, plus SDI from gear, ring etc. I

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't generally care slayer spellbound. Couldn't tell you. I do carry a 45 SDI spellbook I got from the titans invasion.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
The way the system works now for SW SUCKS! Main reason is no other players around in low pop shards to help with focus to get to lev 6
Well, that really is no longer a problem, since you can make your very own EJ SW-chars to help get to 6. Although we have at least 1 GM(+) SW char on each of our regular 6 accounts, we found some would be stuck somewhere too often so we made 2 EJ chars with 100 SW quickly. Ideal!

Also the other offensive SW spells are not extremely hot even at lev 6. The perks do not last too long at all.
Its the other AoE stuff that kind of sucks. Cannot compare with necro, but necro uses 240 points?
Not true, IOHO. Sure enough, Wither hits harder than Essence of Wind, but the range is far less. If you add up all the damage in the whole screen, it may even not be less damage as a whole. And even Thunderstorm has a better reach and is quick to cast. Ideal for spawning! It's true that the Arcane Empowerment would have been nice to last longer, but even so, it is very helpful as is, and can be recast as soon as it ends. Gift of Renewal has a cool down, but if you play with one other SW you can take turns if you have a level 6 focus.

Spell Weaving only spells I use on my tamer is WoD, Reaper Form, Gift of Life, Renewal, and Attunement for the 60hp Physical Shield, and once in awhile immolate weapon
We really recommend above mentioned Arcane Empowerment, your heals become MUCH more potent with it. And the damage of spells also is increased. So before you start WOD-ing, if you have the mana, DO cast Arcane Empowerment first. (And as said, the area spells are nice for spawning.)

What’s the max damage of WOD you have seen?
The max damage our Trixie did so far was 1001, on Barra, but that was ages ago. We are sure she can get higher nowadays. We still have to get round to improve her suit though.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Someone on LS says they have 200 SDI. They have all the SDI armor pieces and a 50 book.

I'm too lazy to add the stuff up to see it that is possible.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Someone on LS says they have 200 SDI. They have all the SDI armor pieces and a 50 book.

PERHAPS, but only with ALL the buffs, including reaper form, arcane empowerment, bard buffs, the SDI increase "pie", town buff, etc...

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This might sound odd but Mana Cost is the reason I dont care for Arcane Empowerment. I can get an Invisabilty, a few extra greater heals, or another WoD off for the mana cost. Depending on the sitution.

ysolt

Seasoned Veteran
So doe's that make max Wod damage 900?
Base damage of 300 this is with no sdi*200% sdi(600)=900?

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
what I've never understood is if WoD deals 100% chaos damage, why does every sequential cast when chained on the same target hit for the same amount?
WoD does Chaos damage if the target is above the WoD threshold (over 32% for a 6 focus). If the target is under the threshold, it will deal direct damage.

They would have to be including buffs. With every SDI item in game you could have 160SDI, and that is including a 50% spellbook. I don't know if you could make a proper suit utilizing every one of those items though, it may be a glass cannon. My main tamer has 149 SDI in a highly refined suit with a 50 SDI spellbook.

With a level 6 focus:
Tree form gives +16% SDI
Arcane Empowerment gives +40% SDI

Town Buff: 5% SDI
Inspire (Bard Mastery): 22%

As far as I understand it, Inscription only adds 10% damage to Magery spells, not an actual 10% SDI.
Summer Dragonfish Pie's appear to add 5 Spell Damage (different than SDI)

So theoretically, a spellweaver decked out in SDI items, with a bard in tow, could reach ~243% SDI.

I sit at 205 SDI with Tree Form and Arcane Empowerment active:

I rarely run Tree Form though, I'm usually in Wraith Form.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ya they do not have spell weaving so they must not have that much. I'm not going to argue with them.

With what I have. I didn't think a plus 4 or five in a few spots would get to 200.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Well, that really is no longer a problem, since you can make your very own EJ SW-chars to help get to 6. Although we have at least 1 GM(+) SW char on each of our regular 6 accounts, we found some would be stuck somewhere too often so we made 2 EJ chars with 100 SW quickly. Ideal!

Not true, IOHO. Sure enough, Wither hits harder than Essence of Wind, but the range is far less. If you add up all the damage in the whole screen, it may even not be less damage as a whole. And even Thunderstorm has a better reach and is quick to cast. Ideal for spawning! It's true that the Arcane Empowerment would have been nice to last longer, but even so, it is very helpful as is, and can be recast as soon as it ends. Gift of Renewal has a cool down, but if you play with one other SW you can take turns if you have a level 6 focus.

We really recommend above mentioned Arcane Empowerment, your heals become MUCH more potent with it. And the damage of spells also is increased. So before you start WOD-ing, if you have the mana, DO cast Arcane Empowerment first. (And as said, the area spells are nice for spawning.)

The max damage our Trixie did so far was 1001, on Barra, but that was ages ago. We are sure she can get higher nowadays. We still have to get round to improve her suit though.
Thanks for the info. Will have to recheck my gear and also all the perks. Thanks!

Innoxicated

Journeyman
The equivalent spells that could be cast for the same mana cost as stacking AE in front of WoD is a good point, but hitting 1400 on a single cast (refuse to split hairs, for the love of SW's sake lol) would be a beautiful thing to behold. I guess I hadn't considered using evil omen prior to WoD... Or I have considered it but only drop WoD's on stuff in group hunts, so never got the chance to see it happen. The tip about the berries is super leet, 1800 dmg would probably bring a literal tear to my eye.

My main SWer is a necromage, so I usually do wraith form and wither spam, but getting that mana drain over a larger area sounds awesome. Might need to go give those huge radius aoe's another shot. I doubt it can replace wither for spam-ability, but I do enjoy having options. Actually benefiting from 4/6 is a great perk, too.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do Frost Beetles rock them? I saw a Fzz Frost beetle kill 3 Allosaurus ganging it at turtle spawn. I though I was seing things, but not sure if tamer had consume on the little bug or not.
That might've been me, if it was on Atlantic. I use my FWW+Poison Breath Najasaurus to kill most of the spawn at Dragon Turtle, but once it switches to Allosaurus/Dimetrosaurs, i switch to my RC+AI Frost Mite and run Consume Damage.

Don't forget folks, that Death Ray now stacks with Slayer Spellbooks. With a Lesser Slayer Spellbook, and Disco+Conductive Blast running on the foe, i've seen Death Ray tick for 430+ damage every 3 secs on a GD before, at any health %. SDI does not affect Death Ray, so basically any suit works as long as you have the LMC/Mana/MR. You can even leech the Mana back if in Wraith Form. Death Ray works best if you have something else tanking for you. So bust out a Dinosaur Slayer spellbook, initiate Death Ray, and laugh at the Allosaurus as it melts away while your Disco+Conductive Blast pet tanks it.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Isn't Arcane Empowerment +14% SDI?

UOGuide's formlua is wrong, not sure where they got it from.

Even the UO Wiki's formula is partially wrong. They have the Focus bonus correct (+5% SDI per Focus level), but they don't list the base effect correctly. At 120 Spellweaving with no focus, you get a 10% SDI bonus.

+30% for a level 6 focus gives you 40% total.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

UOGuide's formlua is wrong, not sure where they got it from.

Even the UO Wiki's formula is partially wrong. They have the Focus bonus correct (+5% SDI per Focus level), but they don't list the base effect correctly. At 120 Spellweaving with no focus, you get a 10% SDI bonus.

+30% for a level 6 focus gives you 40% total.
Ah, got it. Thank you.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
That might've been me, if it was on Atlantic. I use my FWW+Poison Breath Najasaurus to kill most of the spawn at Dragon Turtle, but once it switches to Allosaurus/Dimetrosaurs, i switch to my RC+AI Frost Mite and run Consume Damage.

Don't forget folks, that Death Ray now stacks with Slayer Spellbooks. With a Lesser Slayer Spellbook, and Disco+Conductive Blast running on the foe, i've seen Death Ray tick for 430+ damage every 3 secs on a GD before, at any health %. SDI does not affect Death Ray, so basically any suit works as long as you have the LMC/Mana/MR. You can even leech the Mana back if in Wraith Form. Death Ray works best if you have something else tanking for you. So bust out a Dinosaur Slayer spellbook, initiate Death Ray, and laugh at the Allosaurus as it melts away while your Disco+Conductive Blast pet tanks it.
Very, very nice!! Ty for info!

**Looking up in the sky..**Its a plane!**, **No its a bird!**, **Could it be a flying Reptalon? Kinda looks like it!**, **Hmmm, its heading this way!**, **OOPS its really close up now!**, **Wholly Jeez, Its Mesana's Nerf Stick! Aaaagghhhh**. Exerpts from the future..(Hope NOT!)..;)

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't worry their to busy trying break parry for PvP atm :gee:. I'm still trying to figure out why fixing cannons qualifies for 1/4th of years of the Developers time :scholar: or content. Does it really take a year to fix UO's only booster pack.:violin:. At least at the end of the year, we have Pirates of the Caribbean Online.:pirate: Didn't Disney already do that and shut it down:bdh:. Why not have it all ready by June or July :arr: anyway :pancakes:

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
205 SDI = 915 WoD

205 SDI + Evil Omen = 1143 WoD

Brought out a bard for another test with Inspire (+22% SDI)

227 SDI + Evil Omen = 1410
Excellent test! Good to see that folks didnt forget to use Reaper Form for additional boni!