• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tech Windows 10 Preview

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
There were three primary differences between Windows 8 and Windows 7. The first was the replacement of BIOS with UEFI. The second was the attempt to migrate from a keyboard/mouse input system, to a voice and touch screen input system. The third was a fundamental shift from an operating system sales model, to a big data collection and advertisement delivery monetization model.

At this point some of you may feel your eyes crossing and the room getting hazy, while you are experiencing random hallucinations involving barbecues and beach activities. So I'll try to make what I just said a bit easier to understand.

Every piece of hardware in your computer, or your smartphone, or your tablet, has a piece of software on it that provides an interface between it and the outside world. That software is called it's firmware. Think of it as the brain of the animal. The operating system for your computer is like your country's economy and government. It keeps all the people in line and, hopefully, contributing in a meaningful way.

Now up until recently the BIOS acted as an interface between the firmware and the operating system. Think of it as the common language and the common currency that we all use that allows us to interact with everyone else in our country, and hopefully allows our government to keep everything running smoothly. Well that is in the process of being replaced by UEFI. I won't go into details, but UEFI is intended to be more powerful, more flexible, and able to take advantage of all the capabilities of newer hardware.

Now Apple was really the first to fundamentally change the way we interact with our computing devices, whether they are PC's, phones, or tablets, by introducing the touch screen. Apple may not have been the inventor of the touch screen, or even the first to use it in a product, but it was the first company to offer products that brought the touch screen to a wide audience.

"Monetization" is a popular buzzword in business circles. It basically refers to the means by which you make money off a product. Up until Windows 8, Microsoft made money by selling Windows to it's customers. You payed some ridiculous sum, and you got some version of Windows. End of story. Google has changed all that.

When Google released the Android operating system for phones and tablets, it changed the way companies made money off of software. You could still buy software, but Google doesn't make much money selling the Android operating system directly. It makes it's money by using the Android operating system to collect "Big Data" on it's customers, and then using that "Big Data" to sell advertising that specifically targets the customer, based on the customer's interests and activities.

With Windows 8/8.1 and now Windows 10, Microsoft has been playing catch up with Apple and Google, and attempting to join the touch screen and computer advertising revolutions.

After the introduction of Windows 8 the migration from a keyboard/mouse input system to a touch screen system was flatly rejected by Microsoft's PC clients, in part because it was ahead of it's time - for PC's. Large touch screens can be awkward to work with and large touch screen monitor's tend to be prohibitively expensive. Windows 10 is an attempt to mollify Microsoft's customers after the Windows 8 debacle and gain acceptance for the new monetization model by merging voice and touch screen input with mouse and keyboard input.

The only thing new beyond that that Windows 10 has to offer, is it's integration into the X-Box "ecosystem". Yes, you can now buy and play X-Box games on your Windows 10 PC. I've read various pundits proclaiming that Windows 10 may be, "the best Windows ever". That may or may not be true. I would however say that it represents Microsoft's attempts to catch up with the recent revolutions in computing, revolutions started by Apple and Google, in a way that hopefully includes the huge portion of Microsoft's client base that is still using Windows 7, or even Windows XP.

I fundamentally dislike, and distrust the big data collection and advertising platform monetization model. I could get into a long essay about that, but I will spare you. Suffice to say that I am upgrading to Windows 10 because I am a gamer, and Windows is still the only gaming platform that supports the games I want to play, while still offering a complete general computing experience, in terms of support for conventional computing activities such as word processing, and I like the integration of Windows 10 into the X-Box ecosystem.

And if you already have purchased Windows 7 or 8/8.1, then the upgrade to Windows 10 is free, again, taking a page from Apple's and Google's playbooks. That might not be particularly revolutionary, but it is revolutionary for Microsoft. And at that price, I've already bought into it...

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
"At this point some of you may feel your eyes crossing and the room getting hazy..."

Yup, yup, yup... I'm an antique, and my love/hate relationship with technology keeps leaning closer to the hate side with each new development. *sigh*

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Just a note. The upgrade process doesn't run as smoothly as I thought it did. There were a lot of minor annoyances that I couldn't fix, which lead me eventually to reinstall Windows 10 Preview and delete all my settings and apps in the process. I just kept my old files, and the programs I had installed under Windows 7 weren't erased, but they had to be reinstalled to restore registry settings, etc.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
When I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 there was one major issue. And that was that my localization was screwed up so Cortana wouldn't start. Then there were a bunch of small issues related to the state of development. However, I didn't know what I was doing and went hogwild trying to uninstall stuff that annoyed me, and move things around, and in the process completely screwed everything up, which led to my reinstall. But basically I think the upgrade process is solid, and will be better at release time. I'm just a control freak and Win 10 doesn't allow you to control as much as Win 7 did.

When it comes to upgrading to Windows 10 you probably need to pick your poison. If you choose the in place upgrade process, there will probably be some issues you will have to sort out that may take some time and patience. If you choose to do a clean install (I'd recommend keeping your files unless you want to reformat your drives), then you will have to reinstall all your programs.

The best advice I can give is make sure you have good backups of everything before you do the process, on an external drive. There are lots of ways you can make an upgrade less painful, from browser plugins like LastPass, X-Marks and Firefox Sync, to cloud storage services like Dropbox and Mediafire, to backup programs like EaseUS Todo Backup. I'm sure there are plenty of others, but those are programs that I have personally used, and they have saved me hours, and the loss of a lot of data.

Last edited:

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
From the sound of things, I'm going to be dead in the water when the free upgrade kicks in. I have a bad feeling I may be shopping for a manual typewriter in the near future. :confused:

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Well take heart. I was stupid enough to run hard drive "optimization" on my ssd and killed it. So for the past two days I've enjoyed the thrill of reinstalling Windows from scratch and restoring programs and files from backups. See, silly me, I figure that because they called it "optimization" it would "optimize" my ssd and defrag my hard drive. Well it isn't the end of the world, the ssd was a second generation 60GB, and if the defragging hadn't killed it, the repeated reinstalling of Windows 10 preview versions probably would have.

I have come to the decided conclusion that Windows preview versions are not for the faint of heart...

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Well take heart. I was stupid enough to run hard drive "optimization" on my ssd and killed it. So for the past two days I've enjoyed the thrill of reinstalling Windows from scratch and restoring programs and files from backups. See, silly me, I figure that because they called it "optimization" it would "optimize" my ssd and defrag my hard drive. Well it isn't the end of the world, the ssd was a second generation 60GB, and if the defragging hadn't killed it, the repeated reinstalling of Windows 10 preview versions probably would have.

I have come to the decided conclusion that Windows preview versions are not for the faint of heart...
Just what I needed to hear.... :eek2: o.0

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Fortunately for you, UO is one of the few games that can be played on a typewriter.....
Not to interject a note of seriousness, but if you run Pinco's UI on the Enhanced Client, you will find that UO is a pretty cpu intensive experience. The Classic Client may run on a typewriter, but the Enhanced Client, especially with Pinco's UI, is another ball of wax entirely... ;)

And now for something completely different. I've come to the conclusion that what killed my ssd was not the "optimization", it was the dozen-ish Windows 10 reinstalls over the past month or so...

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Just a note. The upgrade process doesn't run as smoothly as I thought it did. There were a lot of minor annoyances that I couldn't fix, which lead me eventually to reinstall Windows 10 Preview and delete all my settings and apps in the process. I just kept my old files, and the programs I had installed under Windows 7 weren't erased, but they had to be reinstalled to restore registry settings, etc.
I just got my reserved upgrade to Windows 10. It took me a while to figure out how to recover my old bookmarks. Now that I've done that, how the heck do I check for Windows updates in the control panel? (It used to be there on 8.1.) The option to check for updates appears to be missing now! :confused:

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
So I upgraded on one of my computers (the laptop) and have to say so far I really like it. Everything that I have used so far runs smoothly, and the look and feel of it I like a lot more than the windows 8 it replaced.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I miss Windows 7. I even liked XP. As for Windows 10? I don't like it. I will never like it. It's a good thing I took a break from UO, since I'm almost to the point where I'm ready to look for a way to live without being dependent on a computer.

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why don't you like Windows 10 Gypsy? Personally I've found it superior to windows 7 in almost every aspect I've come across so far.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Why don't you like Windows 10 Gypsy? Personally I've found it superior to windows 7 in almost every aspect I've come across so far.
For starters, I don't like the new bowser at all. I still can't find an option to check for and choose which updates I want (or don't want) installed, and it runs very slow on my computer, making it more difficult to enjoy the sites I'm used to visiting. It feels foreign and unfriendly, to me at least.

Reactions: Vor

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never use a Microsoft browser. So can't comment on Edge.

The issue with the updates is due to being on Windows 10 Home I assume? Unfortunately you need Pro or above to change that I believe. Since I had Windows 7 Pro I upgraded to 10 Pro. Which does allow me to decide. It's possible they'll change the limitation in the future maybe.

The speed issue again I can't comment on. My PC is a very top ending gaming rig so it runs extremely well for me. Probably on par with a highly tweaked 7.

It's a shame you're having such a bad experience with it. There are so many improvements (especially over the god awful 8 which I'm forced to use at work :) ) but I suppose everything is relative. Especially with computers.

I believe you can downgrade back to windows 7 within a month of the upgrade. There are guides available with a quick Google search.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I never use a Microsoft browser. So can't comment on Edge.

The issue with the updates is due to being on Windows 10 Home I assume? Unfortunately you need Pro or above to change that I believe. Since I had Windows 7 Pro I upgraded to 10 Pro. Which does allow me to decide. It's possible they'll change the limitation in the future maybe.

The speed issue again I can't comment on. My PC is a very top ending gaming rig so it runs extremely well for me. Probably on par with a highly tweaked 7.

It's a shame you're having such a bad experience with it. There are so many improvements (especially over the god awful 8 which I'm forced to use at work :) ) but I suppose everything is relative. Especially with computers.

I believe you can downgrade back to windows 7 within a month of the upgrade. There are guides available with a quick Google search.
Well, I have Windows 10 Home and won't pay for Pro. I also have a Samsung laptop that's about two years old now, and it's not really made for today's games, although UO has been reasonably playable. When I bought it, it had Windows 8... so I can't go to 7 now that 10 has been installed. I guess I'm just stuck with it. :(

Reactions: Vor

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
Well, I have Windows 10 Home and won't pay for Pro. I also have a Samsung laptop that's about two years old now, and it's not really made for today's games, although UO has been reasonably playable. When I bought it, it had Windows 8... so I can't go to 7 now that 10 has been installed. I guess I'm just stuck with it. :(
Did you like Windows 8?

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
Nope. But I eventually got used to it... then they threw in 10, which feels even stranger.
That's interesting. I didn't like 8 at all, even after using it for a while. The feel of it was just too radically different from what it replaced. 10 felt a lot more like 7 to me. Plus the upgrade went off without a hitch, didn't have to reinstall anything, etc.
Also, I know you don't like Edge, but you can still use IE. (open edge - on the upper right side there is the square with the three dots - click that, then scroll down to "open with internet explorer". when it opens, on the lower bar (taskbar), right click the IE icon and choose "pin to taskbar") (you may know this already)

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
That's interesting. I didn't like 8 at all, even after using it for a while. The feel of it was just too radically different from what it replaced. 10 felt a lot more like 7 to me. Plus the upgrade went off without a hitch, didn't have to reinstall anything, etc.
Also, I know you don't like Edge, but you can still use IE. (open edge - on the upper right side there is the square with the three dots - click that, then scroll down to "open with internet explorer". when it opens, on the lower bar (taskbar), right click the IE icon and choose "pin to taskbar") (you may know this already)
I'm finally getting used to Edge. But the upgrade has slowed my computer's overall performance. I guess I'm finally at the point where I'm totally fed up with Microsoft (and too cheap to switch to Apple).