• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Will Stygian Abyss bring new housing spots?

B

Bara

Several friends and I recently started, and we can't find a spot to build a little cluster of houses together. It's rather frustrating. Any word on of the expansion will bring new housing lands?

C

canary

Personally I hope not. Last thing we need really is more housing. Just my opinion, of course.

K

kray2s

Several friends and I recently started, and we can't find a spot to build a little cluster of houses together. It's rather frustrating. Any word on of the expansion will bring new housing lands?
If you need a cluster of houses it may be worth talking to idocers and people tha regulary sell houses on the strats trade boards.

These people know the lay of the land better than most and wil quite often know of a little area where 3 or 4 houses may fit nicely (if your lucky). Idocs ae abundant latelys its well worth putting the feelers out:)

If your on Europ i suggest that look toward a player called THP, if on anothe shard i cant tell yo who the idocers are but still the ones with the prolific reputations for doing it shouldnt be hard to find.

I wish you good luck in your hunt my friend

T

T_Amon_from_work

Sorry, I hope SA will NOT add more housing. Have you tried Malas on your shard? There are scads of open spaces on LA ... where 18x18s could be clustered quite nicely.

L

Lord Drakelord

Would be helpful if we knew your home shard.

B

Bara

Our home shard is Atlantic. I think it's one of the larger populated ones and I imagine that's why we're having such a hard time finding a spot for our little town.

G

Gellor

Dear god no. Most shards have so much free land between all the housing facets it is barren.:spider:

Save a bunch of UO gold, find one or two open houses, and then bribe your neighbors:scholar:

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
please no more landmass! there are so much free servers available, i dont want to blame anybody but everybody knows the situation of atlantic and because of this there is not only atlantic as a shard available in the US.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To get a group of houses all together often takes more than looking around for a huge plot of land. Heck it took me 9 (yes 9) years to get 1 large tower I had my eye on for my RP town. Glad the rest were a lot easier :D

Look around for a bare plot or ideally 2 near each other. Then try and contact the adjacent owners, but don't let on that you're the guy next door. If you get lucky you may be able to buy the buildings you need in a short time. If not, you can either sell and try elsewhere or move to Fel where you should have a much better chance of success. And there are quite a few places in Fel where you can build a community and not be disturbed.

Also, lower the size of your houses to start with, then you can live near each other and broaden out from there. That's how I started out with a few 8x8's :)

Wenchy

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a dungeon, but there's also a gargoyle homeland (more diversions from the Ultima Prime canon as histories diverge, if I remember correctly). At one point, there was musing that some sort of restricted housing would exist for those who followed the Gargoyle Queen's guidelines.

I don't see why people are so frightened of empty land. I see no problem with houses being scattered through the land instead of being a solid mass of urban sprawl.

W

wrekognize

I really hope not. I am willing to bet that even if you play on Atlantic there are houseing spots available. They may not be the 18 by 18 spots you would like. But there needs to be demand to keep some value on the larger homes.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why? Are 18x18s supposed to be a perk that only a few attain? If so, I respectfully disagree.

S

S.W.A.T

T-Amon was right about Lake Austin, I play there myself it's hard to even try and give keeps there away for free theres so much land for housing avaible.

T

T_Amon_from_work

I have 7 or 8 spots runed that have AT LEAST 3 adjacent areas housing could be placed in.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You and your friends move to Siege. There are plenty of areas where a large player run town could be created. The community would love it...la

W

wrekognize

Why? Are 18x18s supposed to be a perk that only a few attain? If so, I respectfully disagree.
There are far more than a few 18x18s available out there. People on my server sell 18x18s for 1 mil or less. If you really want one, i'm sure you have the ability to raise the money.

H

Harb

Ugh. I do wish you well Bara, and sincerely hope over time you and your friends will be successful in establishing your own community. You can do that today, even on Atlantic, but it'll take interacting with current home owners and all of you likely won't have custom 18x18s adjacent to one another, unless you collectively possess a ton of gold. In that case, and with requisite interaction, even that can be done today. Unlike Maplestone, whom I seldom disagree with, I'm not so sure that everything needs to be easy, and sans communication and effort. This is one of those things that for me, without required effort, ultimately would hold no meaning. Anything without meaning quickly leads to lack of interest/ enthuiasm, so if anybody were asking for a vote, I'd actually vote "no" on this one for a change. Good luck to you all though, and it's great having new folks in the game!

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Rico has a point Siege is easier to get into early in your UO life as compared to later on. And there is room available for houses.

I'd suggest if it wouldn't kill you to try some of the smaller shards, They need the People and you'll have an easier time finding a location to start a small Town. Also talk with some of the towns that already exist on Atlantic. It might be possible that some have houses held by one individual to keep the town together and he'll be willing to part with some. It's a long shot but it's possible I've seen it happen on other shards.

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hope not.

I live on GL.

There are plenty of spots, including 18x18.

If you're on GL, visit the FCB Fish Market. There's a green rune book where we leave free house spots marked as a public service.

S

SeaCaptain

I am in the same boat as most posters on this. We do not need anymore housing spaces with the new SA. If anything open up all those so call plots that where givin away as prizes in malas that would let you place a castle.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are far more than a few 18x18s available out there. People on my server sell 18x18s for 1 mil or less. If you really want one, i'm sure you have the ability to raise the money.
I have room to place a half-dozen 18x18s around my main account's house ... was I was saying was that I see no problem with this - empty land in itself is not an evil.

It does remind us that fewer people are playing than once were - but it's a symptom, not the disease.

( however, it also means that I'm not lurking in the shadow of another house ... and gives me room to work on my rock gardens :) )

N

NewThunder

I would certainly hope not, You happen to be on the one shard that is still crowded. You should try a less populated shard if you want to cluster together.

One thing you migh also look for is a person selling a keep, if the keep is lifted you may be able to fit a cluster of max storage cust houses.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I personally would like to see more land. Rather than seeing houses crowded next to each other it would be nice if they were further spaced out. I don't see this as an evil, but a perk (which I am sure will be utilized) should it be made available in SA.

-OBSIDIAN-

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As barren as LA is, it wasn't helped in the early days by the 150+ "dsfasfa" small stone towners EA stuck around Trammel to give away to people, then didn't. When there WAS a housing shortage on LA, people left in frustration because they couldn't place keeps or castles in many areas that had them on other shards, because of those stupid things. Hell, there's a string of like 8 or more in a STRAIGHT LINE south of the South Vesper Road (which limited to plots between the road and them to smaller designs).

I can see having some housing on the Tokuno-level scale in the Gargoyle lands - but have it limited to new fixed-style Gargoyle houses (or using only tiles that are Gargish, if customs allowed).

I guarantee a lot of the empty spaces in Malas would fill if they pumped Trammel & Felucca spawn back up to the danger level of the "old Days".

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unbelieveable! No one has told you about Stygian Heights yet!? These folks all want to keep the good stuff for themselves!

Right, this Stgian Heights you see, it's a revolutionary housing idea, a 2000-tile high luxurious condominium right next to the Stygian Abyss dungeon!

See the UO Herald article here : http://www.uoherald.com/news/news.php?newsid=555

Note: Prices starts from 5,236,885,565.00 GP, completion date will be on 1st Apr 2010.

Just buy a few of the penthouses that are next to each other and you'll have your clutter of houses! Customize the roof tiles to spell the name of your favorite person or baseball team!

In case you didn't get the 1st April 2010 completion date reference, the Stygian Abyss thing on the herald is an April Fool's joke :D

On a more serious note though, what if they made the empty NPC houses in town available for players? Or at least vendor spots. Esp in Britain, Minoc, Trinsic, Vesper etc. The towns would be bustling again!

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am in the same boat as most posters on this. We do not need anymore housing spaces with the new SA. If anything open up all those so call plots that where givin away as prizes in malas that would let you place a castle.
We don't need more housing spots... but it would be nice if there were a few more.
The more spots there are to place houses, the more likely it is for large groups to find an area they can get to build up a player run town. Good player run towns help draw in more players, who will eventually help fill in that extra housing area.

R

Rocklin

And today in the FoF we got:

Will there be new housing areas in the Stygian Abyss?

We will be bringing additional housing to the game with the expansion. However, there will be requirements for players to utilize this new housing. Additional details on this in the near future.

-Leurocian

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it does bring new housing spots then within minutes they will be taken by pointless foundations that never get built upon and never get used and will never decay.