• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Wiki browser support update

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
In reply to a comment on problems with maps on the 20th anniversary event page, I posted an update regarding how non-Chrome browsers do or don't work with the wiki. NEWS - [UO.Com] An Ethereal Journey

I last did a similar survey of the other browsers almost a year ago in State of the wiki, 9/14/16

A year ago, I summarized it as "Please note that IE, Edge, and Firefox haven't yet caught up with some css standards. Edge and Firefox both should have support in the near future, but for now, you'll want to be using Chrome, Opera, or Safari to browse the Atlas pages."

To update to Sept 2017:
  • My recommendation remains, use Chrome.

• If you can't use Chrome, then use Firefox. Firefox won't be perfect, but it's advanced to the point it's near good enough.

• Safari and Opera development has slowed in the past year; if you're on a Mac, Safari makes sense, but otherwise, not really. I don't have a Mac to check, but the reports are that their coverage is still spotty for CSS3. I'd suggest considering switching.

• Opera's global share keeps dropping, and they're too small to keep up with the growing number of parts that make up the HTML5, CSS3, and ECMAScript 6 / 7 standards. They seem to be falling behind faster than they're catching up. I'd suggest seriously considering switching.

• IE is still a dead project, and has been since Jan 2016. It will never be upgraded. You should switch.

• Edge is still in development, even though it's been released a while now. Microsoft is proving to be a slower at getting some things supported, especially with regards to CSS3, than that were saying a year ago. For Windows 10 users, it may eventually be great - but for now, play with it if you want, but use Chrome (or Firefox) as your daily browser.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Last I checked, non-Mac Safari has been dead 2-3 times longer than IE. I remember Apple ending support for Windows Safari sometime around Win7.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Last I checked, non-Mac Safari has been dead 2-3 times longer than IE. I remember Apple ending support for Windows Safari sometime around Win7.
True enough :)

Revenant

Visitor
I remember Apple ending support for Windows Safari sometime around Win7.
It's a little more recent than that, but still old enough to be a major risk (2012). On Mac, on the other hand... either Safari is that much better, or the others are that much worse. I hope you can keep Mac support, since I do a lot of my reading there.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I'm not doing anything, now or in the future, to block Safari (or Macs :p) from the wiki. :)

But I also don't have a Mac to test with. Apple seems to be a bit slower to get Safari up to speed on the latest web specs, at least according to caniuse.com, but hopefully what you'll see in Safari is a slow movement towards the pages rendering properly as time passes.

Revenant

Visitor
IBut I also don't have a Mac to test with. Apple seems to be a bit slower to get Safari up to speed on the latest web specs, at least according to caniuse.com, but hopefully what you'll see in Safari is a slow movement towards the pages rendering properly as time passes.
Well, I'll be happy to tell you what I see that just doesn't work! :) So far it's been a pretty decent experience, though.