• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why you should never para tame a pet you want to keep.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
For those of you who don't know what "para taming" is, it is when you tame a pet by paralysing it so it won't move or attack. When you para tame you lose an extra 4% on skills after taming.

Now until now I have always said if the pet didn't have skills that would be over 100 after taming without para taming, then para taming was no big deal. And this is probably still the case with all the old pets up to the Age of Shadows expansion (Was that when cu sidhe were introduced?).

However, as has been discussed on these forums there are pet skills that don't appear on the pet lore gump, and with the recent pets especially there is a chance that some of those skills could be over 100, but there is no way of knowing.

So I would say, the best policy is never to para tame a pet you want to keep, at least until we have a pet lore gump that shows all of a pet's skills (and who knows if we ever will although it has been suggested to the devs).

I say this after I para tamed an amazing high plains boura, then after thinking about it, regretted it. Odds are it didn't make any difference, but there is always a chance.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cu Sidhe came along with the Mondain Legacy expansion (which was after Samurai Empire).

I wouldn't be too worried about the boura.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye, I remember in ye old days para taming wasn't recommended because of the skill drop, and well a draggy that decided to magic arrow itself then eat mea kinda served as re-education too...mmpf. Only time I sometimes para tame is cu sidhe I'm killing. I usually just invis myself when taming anything else that might give me trouble.

Wenchy

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Cu Sidhe came along with the Mondain Legacy expansion (which was after Samurai Empire).

I wouldn't be too worried about the boura.
Ya, I get my time lines mixed up, I wasn't around when either were released. So basically anything from Samurai Empire on you shouldn't para tame.

As for the boura, I woudn't be so sure. They have at least two skills on the pet lore gump that are over 100 before taming (but not enough over to be over 100 after taming), so it wouldn't surprise me to find that there is a hidden skill or two that might possibly be over 100 after taming (parry is the one that comes to mind, I don't know if there is any way of telling a non-humanoid mob is parrying).

I've got a bit of a fixation with the boura, I keep thinking there is something special about them. I've got a good one now so hopefully I'll get a chance to spend some time hunting with it so I can get a feel for how it operates.

M

marlev

Erm guys... what do you mean by "hidden skill"? Do pets have more skills that are not displayed when Loring animals?

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Erm guys... what do you mean by "hidden skill"? Do pets have more skills that are not displayed when Loring animals?
Excatly that. Skrees for example use mysticism spells and if I follow rumours, another not shown skill is parry.

But I have another question to poara taming. When gets this malus actually applied to a pet? I used para on my first cu's but only to bypass the 'anger'-phases. Once i got a working taming attempt, one invis removed th aggro from the cu onto me and usually before the taming attempt ends, the para is broken. (Due to higher tameables havin high magic resists.) Actually my idea behind would be: Keep a tameable parad whild you anger the beast and keep it peaced during your taming attempt. Would that bring up the skill loss?

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Excatly that. Skrees for example use mysticism spells and if I follow rumours, another not shown skill is parry.
The whole discussion started a few years ago when some of us made note of the fact that barding difficulty would continue to rise on certain pets after the pet was supposedly fully trained and all stats were capped out. The only possible explanation for this was that there are skills not shown on the pet lore gump that weren't fully trained and were continuing to rise.

The question was put to a dev and it was confirmed that pets do indeed have skills that don't show up on the pet lore gump. In my opinion there are probably quite a number of skills that don't show up on the pet lore gump that pets can have. There are obvious ones like a skree's mysticism, but I'm guessing that pets can possibly have many more of the skills that are possible for player characters to have, such as focus and parry, and who knows how many others.

But I have another question to poara taming. When gets this malus actually applied to a pet? I used para on my first cu's but only to bypass the 'anger'-phases. Once i got a working taming attempt, one invis removed th aggro from the cu onto me and usually before the taming attempt ends, the para is broken. (Due to higher tameables havin high magic resists.) Actually my idea behind would be: Keep a tameable parad whild you anger the beast and keep it peaced during your taming attempt. Would that bring up the skill loss?
The only time you can paralyse a pet during the taming process without breaking the taming attempt is before you actually attempt to tame, and if a pet is paralysed when you start the taming process, it will lose the extra skill points.

J

[JD]

would be nice if we could get an animal lore gump update with all the skills pets can have....

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
would be nice if we could get an animal lore gump update with all the skills pets can have....
Well what it should be is a dynamic skill gump for pets that lists only the skills that a given pet can train.

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
JD,

I agree. It would also be nice if the developers would "open up" the animal lore gump again so that UO modders could customize the display. I've read some of the older posts in this forum and when the KR client was still around, Sarphus developed what sounded like an awesome animal lore gump mod. Using the mod would give you a quick and easy way to decide if the target tameable was worth your time. Here is one of the threads regarding that KR mod: http://vboards.stratics.com/showpost.php?p=852369&postcount=1.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
JD,

I agree. It would also be nice if the developers would "open up" the animal lore gump again so that UO modders could customize the display. I've read some of the older posts in this forum and when the KR client was still around, Sarphus developed what sounded like an awesome animal lore gump mod. Using the mod would give you a quick and easy way to decide if the target tameable was worth your time. Here is one of the threads regarding that KR mod: http://vboards.stratics.com/showpost.php?p=852369&postcount=1.
Ya, Sarphus' mod was excellent. I've made a suggestion in the EC forum. Hopefully the devs will see it.

M

maroite

Aye, I remember in ye old days para taming wasn't recommended because of the skill drop, and well a draggy that decided to magic arrow itself then eat mea kinda served as re-education too...mmpf. Only time I sometimes para tame is cu sidhe I'm killing. I usually just invis myself when taming anything else that might give me trouble.

Wenchy
did it really magic arrow itself? hahah :lol: that makes me want to go see it!