• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why people tell me don't summon on dark father

B

blust4

This is my first time I bring my mage character to doom since two years ago. Like in the past I cast energy vertex and summon earth elementals near dark father. But people (most tamers) told me stopping doing that. I asked why. One replied that it makes the spawn heavier. What is a mage supposed to do to fight dark father these days. Aren't my earth elementals the same to dark fathers like those greater dragons?

B

Blade_Thugluv

i say use all the summons you want. Theres other tricks to keeping down the spawn. Its a game and if you need to use summons to get your damage in and thats how you want to play go for it.

~Blade

B

blust4

i say use all the summons you want. Theres other tricks to keeping down the spawn. Its a game and if you need to use summons to get your damage in and thats how you want to play go for it.

~Blade
But I don't see any other people summoning. There must be a reason. If I only cast flamestrike, mindblast, energy bolts etc? Could I do enough damages?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I suggest taking a Spell-channeling mage weapon bow in, and use it on the DF in between spells (say, when you're passively regenerating your mana after running out). Any extra damage helps.

Fizzleton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
try to get a cheap demon slayer spellbook. you will hit the df with ebolts with > 100 each (depending on your eval int and inscrip). if you have spellweaving, try using word of death at the end (hitting with > 400). in any case, you will get looting rights with direct damage spells; summons won't be as effective since they cost tons of mana

Beerman72

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To expand on fizzletons post a bit, a good deamon slayer book is a great start as is a high level spell weaving circle. However dont stop here...continue on with a SDI suit and an elemental slayer book in wraith form and you will be good to go. while carrying a good slayer book, and 90+ SDI you will hit the DF for around 200 (this can go higher with corpse skinned and EO DF). When the DF gets into WoD range switchup to Elemental slayer book. In tree form, and with arcane empowerment you can see WoD for upwards of 1000 dmg per spellcast (I wear 69 SDI without book)

good suit if funds are avail:
12 sdi 3fcr bracelet (prefer one with high phys and fire)
5 sdi neckalce (pendant of magi)
10 sdi pants (spellwoven britches)
10 sdi arms (necro bracers)
20 sdi ring (crystalline)
12 sdi hat (kasa of rajin)
------------------------
69 SDI

(rest of equipment includes)
Stitchers Mittens
AoF
Snakeskin boots
1/2 Shield
SDI Elemental Slayer
SDI Deamon Slayer
SDI Undead Slayer
Scrappers

Template:
Necro Mage Weaver in Wraith form (in protections while fighting DF for machine gun flamestrikes without fail)

Edit: OH...btw...with this template you never ever have to worry about using summons spells. You will get rights with whatever you dmg...always.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Summon away. The summons mean that you do more damage and have a better chance at an artie. You (or they) can always cut the bones to get rid of the extra spawns, even though that means you'd have to pay attention.
Me, I use summons on the DF while killing the spawn with an undead slayer book. I haven't ever had a problem with other people complaining about that, and I still manage to get looting rights most of the time.
And if there is a provoking bard around, then the spawn works even more to our advantage, so I just kill the weak spawn, leaving the corpses and the lich lords to the bards.

L

Lord Drakelord

This is my first time I bring my mage character to doom since two years ago. Like in the past I cast energy vertex and summon earth elementals near dark father. But people (most tamers) told me stopping doing that. I asked why. One replied that it makes the spawn heavier. What is a mage supposed to do to fight dark father these days. Aren't my earth elementals the same to dark fathers like those greater dragons?

Al our mages cast EVs on the DF, sure he will rubber band out, but the EVs keep the smaller spawn down when he does.

L

Lord Kynd

~Blade

don't let anyone tell you how to spend your money, err i ment play the game you pay to play.

if they don't like it, they can do several things.. leave.. or offer better ways for you to get the 'job' done.
personally people that complain about how i fight can leave and run there mouths to someone else that might give a rats ***.

also keep in mind that no one owns a spawn nor a spawn location. kills are all free for all things.
fight the way it works best for you, not for someone else.

B

blust4

don't let anyone tell you how to spend your money, err i ment play the game you pay to play.

if they don't like it, they can do several things.. leave.. or offer better ways for you to get the 'job' done.
personally people that complain about how i fight can leave and run there mouths to someone else that might give a rats ***.

also keep in mind that no one owns a spawn nor a spawn location. kills are all free for all things.
fight the way it works best for you, not for someone else.
I could change my way to suit the need of the majority. It is no biggie. Just the replies from others are kind of vague. I know everybody in Doom is busy. So I think I could get a clear answer when people are not busy fighting.

I still have the question on why EV or Elementals summoning is bad. My assumption is that they inflict the dark fathers and create heavy spawn so it is not worth the efforts?

Beerman72

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EVs and elementals are very counter productive. Of course you can use them if you like but in the long haul you are creating more work for yourself and those around you fighting. It really is not worth the extra spawn, complaints of others around you...in order to get another 100 acummulated dmg vs. the DF. Anyone who tells you to go ahead has absolutely no capacity to follow strategy and reason.

L

Lord Drakelord

I can remember before the bug fix being told not to prov onto the DF, my words to the tamers [and yes I have two tamers on my account] was "it going to hurt you to not say all kill again". When I am using the bard/mage, I cast summons to fight the DF, but also to keep the spawn under control.

V

Vyrquenox

EVs and elementals are very counter productive. Of course you can use them if you like but in the long haul you are creating more work for yourself and those around you fighting. It really is not worth the extra spawn, complaints of others around you...in order to get another 100 acummulated dmg vs. the DF. Anyone who tells you to go ahead has absolutely no capacity to follow strategy and reason.
yeah its tiresome but with a good demon slayer spellbook, like was said, if nobody is around, I have managed to explode him to death, not worth the time compared to my dexxer, but you can also always just invis in the center room while others do the gauntlet until he appears, blast him one, invis and wait for others to come in, cause I am fairly sure first blood helps you get an arti chance. or used to. Mages do have tactics they can use, dark father's are all even resists, (or were) elemental slayer will work too, but the main point is throwing evs and elementals and furies and such at a dark father will just end you up with him not being hardly bothered and a horde of crap running around. But I don't even know for sure what my tactics would be anymore if they are still rebounding, usually my dexxer with maybe a bard around would pull him about and make him spawn, drag him off, and I would pull the corpses up to beach with him and pull him to portal and tank him while she provoked them all. Or I would just tank him alone. But that's much harder if he won't follow you anywhere, makes him kind of a real coward for something called the dark father.

B

blust4

I will kind of answer my own question. It is really up to the style people are playing. This afternoon I returned to Doom. There were only two mages and one archer there. No tamers. I found the old strategy from two years ago is still working. We three mages just kept casting earth elementals and have them kill Dark Father. And use EVs to kill liche lords and corpose. For lesser undeads, energy bolts are sufficient to kill them in one or two shots.

One of the mage could also cast weavespelling. I haven't been around for a while. How hard does it take to gain the new weavespelling skill? Say I want my mages to gain from 0 to 110 or 115 in that skill, how many hours am I supposed to spend? Thanks.

Beerman72

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the mage could also cast weavespelling. I haven't been around for a while. How hard does it take to gain the new weavespelling skill? Say I want my mages to gain from 0 to 110 or 115 in that skill, how many hours am I supposed to spend? Thanks.
Spellweaving can take quite a while. You can expect to spend several days going from 70 to 110. (that is if you are a casual player...if you grind the skill out you may get to 110 in a couple days.) The slowest gains occur around 70+ skill due to the amount of mana used.

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Summons are a waste of time on the dark fathers you burn to much mana only to have them dispelled or killed off quickly.

I use a necro mage spellweaver all 120 template but even if you haven't got 120 skill you can deal tons and tons of damage with a demon slayer spellbook.

Corpse skin it and if you have a level 6 arcane focus use arcane empowerment then flame strike till one of the spells wears off once one does re corpse skine cast empowerment again and flame strike some more.

If you do that and keep gift of life on you will do great you can cast gift of renewal to regain health throughout this also.

And don't forget to hit it with word of death.

The only other advise I can think of is wait until the first round of dark fathers when the first dark father of that round is near death use a luck statue to boost your luck.

I usually do pretty good with that set up I pull a few artifacts in an hour or 2 then head out for some fresh air.

S

SilentFoxXy

Personally, I swear by Earth Ellies on DF, backed up by demon slayer book, and either chain lightening or Meteor to kill the spawn for everyone.

Sic the EE on df, hit ALL Kill macro, throw Chain lightening or Meteor, hit all kill, hit greater heal if reflect has hit you badly. Hit all kill, meteor, all kill, summon cos 1 gone, repeat until 95% dead, all kill, word of death, word of death, hurrahhh.

No reason on earth why not to summon on a df, as long as you keep hitting all kill, and meteor/ chain / greater heal. All kill spamming is a must, else its just dispelled and useless. For others, the earthies are distracting the DF from hitting YOU quite so often, and the meteor/Chain is killing the spawn, YOURS and MINE...;)

Get @ 1 or 2 arties an hour doing this, and fairly safely, dont die much, nowhere near as much as I do on pally.

Demon SS, my earthies hit him for 25-100, meteor/CLight hits all for 45s+, and WOD with 105 SW hits for 485, kinda certain loot rights every time ....

IMHO....

B

blust4

The only other advise I can think of is wait until the first round of dark fathers when the first dark father of that round is near death use a luck statue to boost your luck.
What is the luck statue? The only thing I can think of is 10th anniversary sculpture. Am I right on this? Thanks.