• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why Oceania should be renamed Detroit

• Thread starter Edina Monsoon
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2
E

Edina Monsoon

Here is a list of reasons why the Oceania Shard should be renamed Detroit:

1. No one lives there anymore.

2. All the shoppes are empty, and the ones that do actually have any inventory charge outrageous prices.

3. Most places where you would build something are nothing but dirt plots.

4. More and more people are fleeing.

5. The people that are living there are divided into 2 classes: those that have it all and those that have nothing.

6. The only thing people do there is fight and kill each other, then loot and steal.

7. All the really nice homes are private.

8. A small number of people own all the prime real estate.

9. There is no industry and no jobs for anyone to do.

D

DarkVoid

2. All the shoppes are empty, and the ones that do actually have any inventory charge outrageous prices.

5. The people that are living there are divided into 2 classes: those that have it all and those that have nothing.

6. The only thing people do there is fight and kill each other, then loot and steal.

In answer to #1: There are people living on Oceania, it has plenty of housing space though.

#2. Outrageous comapred to which shard? Have you ever had to fork out 30k-50k just for a plain no-slayer mods 64 spell book? Well, I have, and on some of the biggest US shards. The same thing over here would sell for 3k-5k!

#3. Agreed on this one, I think a lot of people have no concept of how they want to deco their house, or have no concept of how to rake in gold to do it from hunting. It's quite easy if you have near-GM characters on any shard, most don't have either the time or inclination to sit there for hours whacking away at and collecting gold-dropping monsters.

#4. I have noticed some people are moving to other shards, but if it is because they want something better to them, then I'm actually all for that.

#5. This should be reworded as: The people who actually know how to get their crafter to legendary levels, and the people who get a life and occasionally have time to play UO.

#6. Did you visit the Fel facet on your visit? Trammel is a much nicer place.

#7. Well, maybe they're still working out the decoration for their home, or perhaps they just want it for friends and guildmates. I'll be perfectly honest, my Luna place at least is public, has been customaized, and I have trouble just figuring out where to put deco right now, so it's a bit sparse-looking apart from secure containers and the odd vet reward, but you know what? I like it that way, and it's totally my choice. if you don't like that, visit someplace that has decorations.

#8. By prime real estate, you mean Luna and vendor houses? If you wanted to put a vendor up to sell items, do ask around, as I know there are people who will gladly give you a vendor spot in Luna on Oceania.

#9. Industry? Jobs? This is sounding a lot like Real Life. Are you sure you're playing a video game or are you deluding yourself into thinking this is a real-world model?:confused:

Seriously, though, please do ask around if you actually want anything on Oceania. I would be more than happy to sell you anything which I do actually have to sell, if I don't have it I will let you know and be sure to try and find someone who does have it.

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I live on Oceania... I have stuff, but I don't have everything... like a crafter for instance... you're a liar and a cheater but mostly a liar!

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
More important, who's that really old lady in your avatar?

E

Edina Monsoon

I have been playng on Oceania since 1999. These are my comments based on what I have seen happened.

I sell no mod normal spellbooks with 64 spells for the same price I always have, on all shards (5k).

The old lady in the avatar is Edina Monsoon, from the British Comedy Series Absolutely Fabulous.

I love Oceania, hopefully more people will move back.

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
all i have to say is lol....

Dont like the shard? Xfer.. But ill garuntee that u wont be happy anywhere else either...

And really this should of been in S'n'R.

H

HongKongCavalier

But does Oceania have its very own Kwame Kilpatrick?

Seriously though, you probably could have posted this with no shard name and have everybody guess which one you are talking about. I think this may describe more shards than just Oceania.

F

five oclock

aye..this pretty much almost describes ever shard.....

The diehards are here till the end! :D

Besides someone from down under would know about Detroit...with lag and all..then again Detroit is really that bad, tho I didn't know it was world news...:D

S

Splup

Wtf... I was 100 % sure this was sarcastic/funny thread, but everyones taking this so seriously and trying to prove op wrong?

D

dielock

I live in Detroit and there are jobs available here. It's just that you have to kill and loot your competition first to get the job. But that is not due to this recession, it has always been this way. We just like to kill and loot. Keeps us on our toes. :gun::gun:

Falon of Eldor

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*shakes head sadly*

Detroit is what gave the USA a middle class and now today it is worse than Calcutta. It is sad to see the once greatest city in the USA reduced to shambles.

Just ran across this you tube video this week:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1hhJ_49leBw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1hhJ_49leBw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

T

Trebr Drab

*shakes head sadly*

Detroit is what gave the USA a middle class and now today it is worse than Calcutta. It is sad to see the once greatest city in the USA reduced to shambles.

Just ran across this you tube video this week:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1hhJ_49leBw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1hhJ_49leBw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
I'm 56 years old and grew up about 3 hours away from Detroit. My friends and I used to go to baseball games there, since it was an hour closer than Cleveland (I'm an Indians fan, being in Ohio, but enjoyed the games there).

But I remember that "Model Cities" program and the arguments over the years. The warnings. And it's happened.
I hope people watch this and take it to heart. You can't "take care of" people and not see beaurocracy take over and run things into the ground.

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I myself am moving to Oceania. Have been for a few months now. My castle is open to public and is full of all sorts of interesting things. Note: not all items I have are set out yet. I play when I can as I work 10 hours a day. I have met a few people and they all seem to be nice. I have brought a few people over from other shards to enjoy the play of the game. I prefer the smaller shards.

E

Edina Monsoon

Thank you everybody, yes it was meant to be funny. Nice to see all the response to it, though.

I almost fell out of my chair with the little clip of Detroit. I grew up in Michigan and it is sad what has happened there.

D

dum3886

I have an idea... Kill Oceania and in place put up a classic shard haha :D... yes i know i will get flamed for this hahaha...

I quit Ocieana/UO too bcz well i agree its a ghost town... and for those who say it isn't... i do not consider 10 banksitter afkers as company/community/population watever lets called it (CCP)... i also do not consider solo peerless-ers as CCP, not do i consider the random person at a spawn who runs away or casts one spell at u and runs as CCP... Ok the idoc sitter... yes u get a chat but that is about it. I had to make my own scriber/tailor everything purely bcz ... u can't find any... and no i am not gonna join a fricken POC guild or sumthing i'd rather smash my computer before i enter that guild. [sorry personal preference i only pvp]

What is funny... i probably had better chats with OPK people (Robin, squeaky etc...) than i did with anyone else outside of my guild during the last 6-12 months which is mm well quite pathetic lol

Wtf... I was 100 % sure this was sarcastic/funny thread, but everyones taking this so seriously and trying to prove op wrong?
It's bcz they r in denial... everyone knows the shard is going to hell but no one wants to give it up... after putting so much effort into the game who would? Even i didn't wanna quit but it just crossed a line... it just became so deserted it was stupid. Would i play on oceania/Detroit/Classic shard again? hell yeah... but only when the population picks up. Classic shard i'd be willing to have a slightly crapper ping i.e: based in singapore or sumthing but mm if its modern UO na i need a good ping haha

#3. Agreed on this one, I think a lot of people have no concept of how they want to deco their house, or have no concept of how to rake in gold to do it from hunting. It's quite easy if you have near-GM characters on any shard, most don't have either the time or inclination to sit there for hours whacking away at and collecting gold-dropping monsters.

#6. Did you visit the Fel facet on your visit? Trammel is a much nicer place.
And lol this just made me laugh... the reason the plots of active players look like **** (i.e: mine.. i would have different type of walls all over the place) is because half the shard are pvpers lol.. all we care about is a easy way out/in (no door) and no way for people to shoot us through corners lol.

D

dum3886

ALso for the OP

# 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 are all true

2. though the stores arn't empty they r just full of junk... ok some stuff r useful smoke bombs, bola balls, barbed/horned hide, a spell book, rune kits etc... and it was actually quite well prices.. some places r outrageous i agree but the majority is ok.

as for 5.

There are two classes... people who know how to make money and people who follow the tram guilds...

I made 500 mill just from that magecia (bad spelling :( ) event along... i made money by going to santuary and selling items off shard i.e: the bows i got people offered 15-20 mill UNENHANCED.

Money is easy to come by... finding out how is diff gotta know the right people to tell u the nice spots.

[probably 2007-early 2008 days... things improved late 2008]
OPKers/TCers + a few randoms were rich 300-400mill+ suits easy...

but the kovers etc... weren't that far behind prolly 50 mill suits

then there were tram guilders... that were just poor

K

Kiminality

I have an idea... Kill Oceania and in place put up a classic shard haha :D... yes i know i will get flamed for this hahaha...
It would replicate old-school lag for most of the world, at least.

U

Unsatisfied

I fled oceania 6? 7 years ago? maybe more? I still have my fel bmg house up collecting dust... I logged on and even tram brit moongate you can place a house. lol.... Ghost town!!!!!!

D

dum3886

I'd rather play with some lag and a thousand people then play in a shard with a whole 20-40 people at any point of time. Again... bank sitter afkers/scripter afkers do not count.