• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mysticism] Why magery+mysticism?

X

XoriRuscuv

I've recently returned to the game and I'm mucking about.... and I've seen mysticism+magery mentioned a lot. I've never seen mysticism in action and I really don't know how game content has changed in the last 8 years soooo... the question is simple: WHY magery and mysticism?

Don't they overlap too much? It looks like Enchant really works better for a mele character, and it feels like the mysticism direct damage spells pretty much mirror magery's direct damage spells. Alright, so I've heard that colossus is great, but to what end? Back when I played I couldn't use summons (EVs) on most tougher monsters because they'd just get dispelled before they did any damage. (So I picked up peaemaking and soloed stuff because it was overpowered back then...) So yeah, is mysticism basically JUST for clossus, and is it really that good in the time it takes to get dispelled?

Describe the playstyle a bit for me so I understand what this is all about. I like pure magic type characters but I'm not wrapping my head around this one yet :) Thanks!

D

Divayth Fyr

Ok so a breif summary. With Mysticism you can cast this spell called "Spell Plague". With this spell, you can do extra damage. A usual combo people go with is Explosion, Spell Plague, Nether Bolt, Eagle Strike Cycle. This causes alot of damage very fast. Also you can use stone form. This increases your resists, make you immune to poison and curse but decreases your Faster Casting. There are alot of spell's with Mysticism but these are the common ones. I sure hope this helps.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is no major delay spell to stack damage with mysticism like explosion. Also mystic doesn't have any spells to block healing (poison). Also there is no resist altering spell with mystic like curse.

X

XoriRuscuv

There is no major delay spell to stack damage with mysticism like explosion. Also mystic doesn't have any spells to block healing (poison). Also there is no resist altering spell with mystic like curse.
OK, I'm following this. But my question then becomes "why mysticism"? Train mysticism basically just for spell plague and colossus? Is that the idea?

And is Colossus really THAT good or does it get chain dispelled like EVs did in my scenario?

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Usually if your setting a char up for being a mage, everything carries over for a mystics, same way as it does for a necro, in that your probably going to have 100 lrc, high mana, 40 lmc, 2/6 casting, ect. For PVM, an RC trumps two EV's in most situations and spell plague, hail storm, cleansing wind, and healing stones are very nice to have as well, but your still missing a way to rez people, mark runes, open gates, recall (other than scrolls), throw fields, and the list can go on.

X

XoriRuscuv

Usually if your setting a char up for being a mage, everything carries over for a mystics, same way as it does for a necro, in that your probably going to have 100 lrc, high mana, 40 lmc, 2/6 casting, ect. For PVM, an RC trumps two EV's in most situations and spell plague, hail storm, cleansing wind, and healing stones are very nice to have as well, but your still missing a way to rez people, mark runes, open gates, recall (other than scrolls), throw fields, and the list can go on.
Thats good to know. How much better is the colossus with spellweaving as opposed to without?

I'm thinking of doing this:
120 magery
120 eval
120 mysticism
120 focus
100 inscription
120 spellweaving

The lack of defenses of any kind worries me, but having resist alone isn't going to make or break this template for PVM, I imagine.

Since I'm starting over from scratch - no armor, nothing, new account - going to take forever to build, though :p

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if you have arcane empowerment up with an RC, and you get that bard bonus that affects pets, and the enemy mob is discorded - it really adds up.