• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Why is noone buying anything? Seems a bit odd????

Aftershock

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For the past week I haven't seen much purchasing of any rares, Event items, etc on Stratics. Does anyone know why? Please enlighten me. Either PM me or ICQ me at 38433712. I have quite a few items to put up for auction but a little gun-shy to do so right now. Thank you.

Dr. Angel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Gold Dupes are gone therefore gold is becoming harder to get. Hence people are holding back on bidding. Right now is not the time to sell high-priced items.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I could be wrong but I think folks are just leary of buying anything due to the situation Vexxed brings up. People saw the tokens outright deleted... the process for fixing dupes has been said a while back: First identify the dupes (which they think they have done with the vendor deal) then get rid of them. Add in the rumors that are flying left and right about them doing that very thing as well. That could be why so many are coming up for sale lately also. I have NEVER seen so many phoenix suits selling in such a short time as I have recently. Folks are not sure if they have the real deals or not with how rampant duping was. Much better to get rid of it, have the gold than to log in one day and have it *poofed*.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Selling all kinds of items not sure what your talking about :)

Auction ends soon by the way and the next one launches in the morning

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldnt say its been dead - there have been many new event items selling for 600mil to a billion gold. as well as many auctions. There are many many items. you cant own everything, and because prices have been extremely high in the past it means more people are likely saving gold to get something they really want. Plenty of demand, just every single 1/15 item isnt instantly selling for 500mil.

I think things are far from odd, more like normal. The few months that went out of control on every item were more likely what you would call "odd"

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For example, last night "an exceedingly accurate bow" sold for 85mil. I was gonna go for this one, because there are only 2 of them. but then i thought, its a plain brown bow. yeah its 1/2, but do i really want it? no, decided those mils would be better spent going to something i really want. and im sure ill find something, so so much to choose from.

Cyanide_Mage

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For the past week I haven't seen much purchasing of any rares, Event items, etc on Stratics. Does anyone know why? Please enlighten me. Either PM me or ICQ me at 38433712. I have quite a few items to put up for auction but a little gun-shy to do so right now. Thank you.
Its actually pretty simple. The majority of drops are obtained by a handful of people, these people already have strong relationships with other people in the community. Rather than post an auction, if a fair offer is made by someone they are friends with/on good terms with the people who get the drops sell the items behind the scenes. Just because you don't see the items for sale on stratics doesn't mean they aren't being sold :)

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

There are many factors:

1. Initial hype of a new item will sell for above market price if regular high-end collectors didn't get one from the item getter.

2. Sellers make the mistake of thinking just because it was once sold for 1 billion that it's worth 1 billion 3 weeks later.

3. Literally there are thousands of items out there to collect people have to make choices now and there are only so many billions to go around per collector.

4. Regular weekly open and silent auctions for a consistent period of time for the past 30+ weeks.

5. Behind the curtain deals as mentioned above.

6. An item is only as desirable as the next better looking item that comes out. This depends on what I've stated before, name, hue, graphic, quantity, quality, size etc...

For example, Blackthorn Armor pieces from Drachenfels when they first came out they were the best thing since sliced bread and were selling at 750 mil - 1 billion per piece. Gradually, they begin to drop over time. Now you would think as inflation goes up they would go up as well? Wrong, apply one or more of the reasons above and you get the dropped price. However, there is a stabilizing point, i.e. a point at which the owners will not sell below because they either invested too much into it or haven't reached that level of desperation.

In other words, if you want the gold and your not getting the bids your looking for, probably should lower your expectations.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are rumors of a coming mass deletion of all dupes in game. Whether or not that means non-vendorable or simply all of them is a hotly debated topic. Several well known sites were hit hard recently by bans. The people in the know are hording gold, anticipating that if the dupe deletion happens, the price of everything will skyrocket.pretty simple

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are rumors of a coming mass deletion of all dupes in game. Whether or not that means non-vendorable or simply all of them is a hotly debated topic. Several well known sites were hit hard recently by bans. The people in the know are hording gold, anticipating that if the dupe deletion happens, the price of everything will skyrocket.pretty simple
What you are saying could very well happen, but I myself don't think it will. EA isn't that stupid... I hope.

The deletion of every duped item in the game will result in the end time of Ultima Online. People buy duped items without knowing it on a daily basis. One night you have some nice items that you paid a pretty penny for, log off and go to sleep. Next morning you wake to find everything or nearly everything you own.. gone.

This will make SO MANY people quit.. EA will be forced to shut down this game. Everything in the game has a high possibility to be duped... you CANNOT fix it and please anyone. Yes.. there will be no more duped items in the game... for right now.

Here is what stops EA from stopping duping:

Yes, there have been patches and published that has blocked a coding from someone duping this particular way. But guess what happens when the next publish or patch comes out? Coding breaks. That's why they have to fix bugs and glitches. They can stop duping a particular way until the next publish/patch.. then you can start it right back up.

YOU CANNOT stop duping... simple... Do what I have done and accept it as being part of this game. I HATE scammers and dupers... and wish there was a way to fix it. But there isn't.

So a mass deletion well 100% loose the majority of players. UO will cease to exist....

Last edited:

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LoL @ anyone who believes the BS about mass dupe deletion. Tokens got deleted simply because it took $$ from EA. Vine Cords got deleted because their creation was a bug in the first place. When has ANYTHING else been wiped from game?

It is true, bans happen, and sometimes that DOES effect the gold prices/availability, but honestly myself and everyone I know hasn't had ANY trouble selling their items. They just aren't being posted on stratics.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Nothing irks me more than the spreading of rumors like this. Mesanna has stated multiple times no such thing will ever happen.
I am unsure what people get out of spreading rumors like this.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I do my best not to spread rumors, and with this situation it probably will wind up being bs... but that uncertainty (and fear) by some could definitely be effecting some sales of goods. People as a whole are irrational are they not?

also...

when it comes to dupes in general wasn't it Cal that said on one of the videos... First we have to find a way to identify the items.. once we have done that, then we remove them from the game. Granted Cal is no longer at the helm but that is not rumor, that was said. Whether or not the current Dev Team stands good on that is indeed subject to debate...

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Items will definitely be deleted if the circumstances are right. But Mesanna said it plus other people have, it will result negatively if they deleted an item that someone purchased. the player will loose gold and there will be hell brewing in the air.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I do my best not to spread rumors, and with this situation it probably will wind up being bs... but that uncertainty (and fear) by some could definitely be effecting some sales of goods. People as a whole are irrational are they not?

also...

when it comes to dupes in general wasn't it Cal that said on one of the videos... First we have to find a way to identify the items.. once we have done that, then we remove them from the game. Granted Cal is no longer at the helm but that is not rumor, that was said. Whether or not the current Dev Team stands good on that is indeed subject to debate...
They cant even get the vendors to identify Event Item/Server birth dupes, not to mention all the ways to get tokens that have been duped on vendors. What makes anyone think they can reliably do more than that?

Hell, the Mythic Token dupe, they had to delete ALL Mythic tokens made from a certain date. They couldn't distinguish real ones from fake ones, and if they could, they couldn't separate them for deletion.

BigEv

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I heard earlier person said gold harder to get now which i gotta call BS (sorry) on my icq list alone i have many people selling mass gold for very low prices i haven't seen in a long time. Got one doing for 10cents on there and a few other not much higher.
Other than that i havent been buying as others have stated im not paying a Billion Per Item as they have been being listed of late even though i have the gold to do it, it just seems crazy to me when an item i see a few months back that i bought for 60m and then gets sold in these days for 500+, theres a problem! and i dont blame the sellers as some are paying even 1 of 20's paying a Bil! It crazy to me unless it just something you must have as part of your collection or theme but in most these cases its not, some just are willing to shell out tht gold for a neat looking new item :rolleyes: thus having the sellers thinking thats the going rate and keep listing all new items for around tht :(
I have been buying gear of late for pvp and such to give that another run ;) (watch out yall in fel here i come!) Ya id just rather spend my gold on something i may have fun with right now other than an item thats way overpriced and just gonna sit there.
Now i did see linemans auction which people got some really good deals in there in my opinion, i just happened to miss the last day when i was going to try and jump in there :(

Last edited:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe what the person BigEv just mentioned as saying "gold is harder to get now" meant in game gold. Sure there are events (i always seem to bring the wrong template or die at the absolute Worst time) but other than that actual loot isnt worth what it was. I know i dont kill Unbounds for anything other than something to do while i drink my coffee, and lower levels of shame and wrong are just not worth it hoping to get that clean 10ssi jewel.
That being said, gold is still extremely easy to make now in game compared to 5 or 6 years ago. And billion gold for a 1/20 is a bit much, but everyones eye catches that one new shiny once in a while.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Nabin- Lets just say the bids have been pretty low.

I say the wining bids display what the market will bring.

The Sage's Rares Auction Series runs with no reserve or buy out. The winning bids there should bring you a simple level of reality.

Of course there is the occasional bidding war for a desirable item but those are easy to pick out.

SoulWeaver

King of The Bearded Ladies
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Delete delete delete it all!!! Ahhhhhhh *mass panic* honestly I think its the deletion of dupes plus the last few weeks of summer just makes the market a little slow. Plus their has been no notes posted since the mythic token deletion so that never helps seeing that post on the front page every day!

lineman

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jan 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its so funny how just about a year ago some people who have posted in this thread said there was no duping. They were getting sick of me throwing out the dupe stick for UO's problems. Its funny what a few months will prove. The duping wrecked the economy for the legit players and drove asking prices thru the roof. Only the people with there fat duping pockets have the gold to buy these high priced items on a consistent basis. Most of them own everything they want by now and only buy new items. Some auctions, like Nabin stated don't have problems selling items because there not putting these crazy starting prices on items. Any way that's my two cents.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally I feel that part of the problem is the UO community is slowly shrinking and we aren't getting a steady influx of players who are interested in becoming rares collectors. We may get a couple here and there, but not enough truly interested. Same names, same faces. The new generation mostly seems interested in items with the most flash for their buck. They don't seem to develop themes or be interested in items that could be mistaken for something that might be mundane. Many of those who have been around for a long time, myself included, aren't interested in collecting every single thing that comes out. We upgrade/buy when there is an item we really want or it is an item that will upgrade out collection such as something super flashy, completes a set, etc. The more standard stuff just doesn't have as many interested from either the new generation or the old blue bloods.

How can we fix this? I'd suggest community outreach, but getting enough folks to be dedicated to that would be the problem. It means setting up rares nights (much like the antique roadshow) that rotate around the shards with no profit in mind, but simply to answer the questions of folks who bring their items to us for information, pricing, etc. You need to have folks with integrity who won't buy those items behind the scenes for low prices and this forum should be promoted as the place to go. You need to pick a location that exists on each shard so that it is 'the' place where they take place... a public building is fine. You need volunteers to gate, advertise and be willing to answer questions even about items that aren't "rare" in regards to the standards of this forum. Those items that still spawn... the stealables, peerless, prim lich, etc are the gateways to the higher end stuff. Also lectures should be offered on a rotation where things like... common items that aren't rares, protecting themselves, talking about different themes that can be collected, ways to get a collection started, ways to get gold, etc.

Anyways, for those who know me and my involvement with PTC, I marketed like a mad woman. PTC had several community projects and events that weren't for profit and were to help promote community. That community support came back to the shop in turn. Take or leave my advice, but if the community wants to have things get better it needs to not always be about profit. Folks need to be willing to give time selflessly and encourage others to get involved. You have to have new blood regularly and be encouraged and supported. The old blue bloods can be intimidating to a new collection. When you are talking collections which are in the billions, it can be hard for a new collector to feel pride when their collection doesn't measure up in the financial dept. Collections should be about passion instead of just worth. That's my two cents.

dupapa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally i think its down to sellers expecting to much money as of late..sellers are basing prices on the past.. and expect no less

What they dont realise is the likely rumor scare and the fact of over pricing items to sell lately is turning the market on its head.

We have been in a seller controlled market for a long time now, i believe we are now heading into a buyers driven market.. until that is respected then items sales will still be shallow.

(Edit) also the recent influx of mass selling is saturating the market which also is a reasons the buyers are gaining some ground in the cobtrol stakes.

Bottom line the sellers are creating this imbalace them selves...
Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Adeka

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Maybe if I cause enough panic within the community, then "I" can buy up all the goodies for fractions of their actual value. Seems like a schisty thing to do, and could be happening right now with the rest of these supposed scares.

I'm not buying anything because I have found my niche area to collect and nothing of interest has come up for sale. Plus, I can't keep up with those of you with loads of gold.
:p

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not buying anything because I have found my niche area to collect and nothing of interest has come up for sale. Plus, I can't keep up with those of you with loads of gold.
I second that one!

That, and a recent blow one of my collections took. *sighs*

silent death197831

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can tell you from personal experience items are being deleted if they are found to be duped. I had 2 ornaments of the magician deleted that i just bought because they were duped. The previous owner swears it was not dupes but transfer error that is marking them duped. Either way gm showed up deleted them and thanked me for understanding. Didnt make my morning any better!!! :(:grrr:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can tell you from personal experience items are being deleted if they are found to be duped. I had 2 ornaments of the magician deleted that i just bought because they were duped. The previous owner swears it was not dupes but transfer error that is marking them duped. Either way gm showed up deleted them and thanked me for understanding. Didnt make my morning any better!!! :(:grrr:
Sorry you had to be one of the first to experience this, but i am very glad to here it. Makes duping even less lucrative. This should really be a separate thread as im sure all would like to know about it.