• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why is it $3 more expenseive per month to subscribe vs gametime???

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why is it $3 more expensive per month to subscribe than to buy 1 month gametime code?

3 month gametime code costs $27 vs 3 months subscription $39

6 month gametime code costs $41 vs 6 months subscription $78

I dont see the logic in this - it totally make no sence at all....It should be cheaper to have a payplan than buying gametime codes....

@Mesanna

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why is it $3 more expensive per month to subscribe than to buy 1 month gametime code?

3 month gametime code costs $27 vs 3 months subscription $39

6 month gametime code costs $41 vs 6 months subscription $78

I dont see the logic in this - it totally make no sence at all....It should be cheaper to have a payplan than buying gametime codes....

@Mesanna
Erm......Americans cannot do basic math? :stir::devil:

cdavbar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It actually makes a lot of sense. Many places that do subscriptions do discounts like this, pay for more game-time up-front, get a discount. The only difference is here you can only do direct pay on monthly while if doing a bulk or longer subscription you must by a game time code.

I run a website (non-uo related). Our premium memberships run the same model. We have montly, yearly, etc. The more you pay for up front, the cheaper "per-month" price you pay.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
FYI on the account mismanagement website, you can pay for a 6mo code for the same price as 6mo gametime: $59.99

Lower prices in the US are only obtainable through Origin's monthly sucker's ripoff subscription plan, where you pay $4 a month.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
FYI on the account mismanagement website, you can pay for a 6mo code for the same price as 6mo gametime: $59.99

Lower prices in the US are only obtainable through Origin's monthly sucker's ripoff subscription plan, where you pay $4 a month.
How do I sign up to pay $4 a month please?

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What Dot is saying is that you get a discount on everything in the store, if you pay the $4.99 monthly charge for the Origin Access plan.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't work for UK,
£9.99 for each version of a 1 month sub.
£3.99 for Origin access 1 month sub which gives you a 10% discount.
So discounted you would pay £9 a month for UO but it would cost you £3.99 extra = £12.99 (£3 more each month)

Yearly Origin access is £19.99 so that's £1.66 per month, still an increase of 66p each month.

So for UK, the Subscription model gives the best discount.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
After tax in the UK it is actually £11.66 per month, or 69.96 for six months, but if you buy six months Game-time from Origin it's £38.50.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After tax in the UK it is actually £11.66 per month, or 69.96 for six months, but if you buy six months Game-time from Origin it's £38.50.
I didn't go as far as to buy, but if that is the case then it needs to be changed urgently as it is breaking UK tax laws.
It states clearly on the options that they are "inclusive of Tax" so that means they cannot add "another" tax at checkout.
Tax law is very strict in UK and Europe.

@Mesanna

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
It is actually very misleading, you only see the £9.99 change to £11.66 once you actually pay for it. I don't buy monthly any more for that reason, £11.66 is a lot more than most games nowadays, a total rip-off in the UK, it's a lot more reasonable if you buy the Origin codes. I think they are very out-of-touch concerning modern MMO payment models.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is actually very misleading, you only see the £9.99 change to £11.66 once you actually pay for it. I don't buy monthly any more for that reason, £11.66 is a lot more than most games nowadays, a total rip-off in the UK, it's a lot more reasonable if you buy the Origin codes. I think they are very out-of-touch concerning modern MMO payment models.
That also is very suspect, you cannot change the price you pay for an item 'after' you click the buy button, all taxes and other costs must clearly be shown 'before' the buyer clicks OK and accepts the conditions.

@Mesanna, can you verify this? it is after all you as Producer, that would be the person in trouble if you are deemed to be guilty of Tax Fraud?.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Hahahaha that made me laugh! I think it does mention tax somewhere, but I think it should say the full price including tax before you sign up, a lot of people probably don't think online games have import tax, if that is what it is...
We spent years over-paying for Everquest 2 because SOE didn't use official exchange rates, just their own made-up ones which obviously had no resemblance to the actual one!

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, Tax is a nightmare at any time but just at the moment in Europe, it's a big thing with the authorities going after anyone that's been "fiddling the books".
Even my local baker shop was done as they drove to France to get their bulk flour instead of buying it in UK and paying VAT.
Governments have realized it's a quick easy way for them to get more cash........basically like an in-game cash shop.... ;)

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
thankfully, being gainfully employed myself, I don't really need, at this time in my life, to have to save 4.00/mo doing anything.

Ox_AO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Origin access cost $29.99 a year plus you have to pay for the six month game time plus tax?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have always paid my accts subs in 6 month blocks on recurring payments for $59.99, with no problems, the wife knows that every 6 months $1200 is going to come out of my acct and arguing about it only leads to me advising here that I could drop UO and start spending $100 per night at the bar.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
okay i've been sitting on some info for a while, thought i may aswell share it, when you access the origin store, it directs you to a page depending on your country i.p so i decided to shop around (the world) using a vpn to see which countries offer us the cheapest 6 month game time code. Here are my results. Conversion rates are current to this date, please note currency conversion rates change daily.

USA US$59.99
EUROPE MAINLAND (€45.99) = US$51.41
AUSTRALIA (AUS$64.99) = US$49.20
UK (£38.50) = US$48.96
CANADA ($59.99 CANADIAN $) = US$45.28
HONG KONG (HONK KONG$340) = US$43.59
SINGAPORE (SINGAPORE $56.90) = US$40.96

but the winner is SAN JOSE Costa Rica!
MEXICO = US$39.99

so in short, always VPN through a mexican server when accessing the origin store to save yourself US$40 per year. Please share with us if you find any cheaper as I didn't check every country.

Regards

Last edited:

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's really a miracle UO makes any money at all, there are so many loopholes they haven't fixed to save money like that.

Only have to pay for an account once every 3 months to keep a house, can save 30% or more on gametime just by using a VPN as shown above, third party sites sell everything the UO store sells for a cheaper price etc.

All of those loopholes have been known about for years, yet nothing was done to fix them. What other company sees themselves losing money multiple different ways and just goes "meh, who cares". It's truly baffling how determined EA is to avoid making money from UO for some inexplicable reason.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's really a miracle UO makes any money at all, there are so many loopholes they haven't fixed to save money like that.

Only have to pay for an account once every 3 months to keep a house, can save 30% or more on gametime just by using a VPN as shown above, third party sites sell everything the UO store sells for a cheaper price etc.

All of those loopholes have been known about for years, yet nothing was done to fix them. What other company sees themselves losing money multiple different ways and just goes "meh, who cares". It's truly baffling how determined EA is to avoid making money from UO for some inexplicable reason.
I've wondered that myself and they fail to realize that people play MULTIPLE UO accounts and don't allow you to buy multiples of things like Blackthorns and such... as I would really like that for more than ONE of my accounts.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
okay i've been sitting on some info for a while, thought i may aswell share it, when you access the origin store, it directs you to a page depending on your country i.p so i decided to shop around (the world) using a vpn to see which countries offer us the cheapest 6 month game time code. Here are my results. Conversion rates are current to this date, please note currency conversion rates change daily.

USA US$59.99
EUROPE MAINLAND (€45.99) = US$51.41
AUSTRALIA (AUS$64.99) = US$49.20
UK (£38.50) = US$48.96
CANADA ($59.99 CANADIAN $) = US$45.28
HONG KONG (HONK KONG$340) = US$43.59
SINGAPORE (SINGAPORE $56.90) = US$40.96

but the winner is SAN JOSE Costa Rica!
MEXICO = US$39.99

so in short, always VPN through a mexican server when accessing the origin store to save yourself US$40 per year. Please share with us if you find any cheaper as I didn't check every country.

Regards
Hmm.. Interesting that Mexico has the cheapest price.

Using a VPN isn't necessarily the perfect solution though, some credit and debit cards charge extra for foreign currency transactions :oops: Worth a try though.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I think UO makes a profit in spite of EA.

Think about all the things EA does to make it harder to give them money for UO. The code shortages, hiding UO stuffs on Origin (so that not everything shows up in the search page), the lack of sales on 10+ yo expansions/boosters THAT PEOPLE STILL BUY, the inexplicable inability to purchase all expansions/packs in some countries, sovereigns having a horrid pricing scheme, the random delays is getting codes to people (CC transactions are INSTANT these days). Then there is the account (mis)management site to deal with and the ingame store that is randomly inaccessible.

If these problems continue to exist when the Endless Trial(F2P) gets out of development hell, they will cost UO tons of potential revenue.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think UO makes a profit in spite of EA.

Think about all the things EA does to make it harder to give them money for UO. The code shortages, hiding UO stuffs on Origin (so that not everything shows up in the search page), the lack of sales on 10+ yo expansions/boosters THAT PEOPLE STILL BUY, the inexplicable inability to purchase all expansions/packs in some countries, sovereigns having a horrid pricing scheme, the random delays is getting codes to people (CC transactions are INSTANT these days). Then there is the account (mis)management site to deal with and the ingame store that is randomly inaccessible.

If these problems continue to exist when the Endless Trial(F2P) gets out of development hell, they will cost UO tons of potential revenue.
Sadly many folk won't put up with the BS that we do.... they will say "This game is soooo not worth the headache..." and move on to something easier to deal with.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sadly many folk won't put up with the BS that we do.... they will say "This game is soooo not worth the headache..." and move on to something easier to deal with.
People keep paying EA despite the number and/or difficulty of the hoops they have leap through. Thus, EA doesn't give a F...we've proven ourselves to be trainable, masochistic seals who eagerly que up for a clubbing.
:gee:

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Well they probably figure that getting paid one month in three on second or third accounts is better than getting nothing at all, I don't think they will be rocking that boat any time soon....

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you're in the US, the mexican site's price is already in US dollar so there shouldn't be a charge for currency conversion, and if there is, i highly doubt it's greater than 30%.

Then again, the OP on this thread started off with (39-27)/3 = 3??

So feel free to chuck any random figures out...

Last edited:

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you're in the US, the mexican site's price is already in US dollar so there shouldn't be a charge for currency conversion, and if there is, i highly doubt it's greater than 30%.

Then again, the OP on this thread started off with (39-27)/3 = 3??

So feel free to chuck any random figures out...
I only compared vs having montly subscription....